Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

ps how could the same guy who designed Supergirl's brightly coloured costume with a cape, also devise Guardian's bland suit of armour. Throw a little colour and some pizzazz in there dude!
HE SAID IT WASN'T READY YET OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I understand Kara wanting to have a secret identity so she can go see a movie or get a cup of coffee, and so that her friends and family aren't in extra danger of getting kidnapped to get to Supergirl.

But that secret identity really should be "Kara Danvers, DEO accountant". Kara having to lie to her boss about stuff is just a nuisance, and now that Wynn works for the DEO and James is a superhero, there's so little reason to cut back to the CatCo offices
Nah, being a cub reporter means if she's in the office regularly she's doing it wrong. She's supposed to be out and about, chasing leads and gathering info for the Next Big Story(tm). It also gives her an excuse to show up out of nowhere and be nosy at crime scenes and such while still incognito, something she couldn't do as Kara Danvers, nepotism accountant for the DEO (which is supposed to be a secret organization anyway, isn't it? I mean what's her face was pretending to be an FBI agent not two episodes ago).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Because Batman is DC's golden goose and they're terrified of killing it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kraps posted:

Implying it's possible to have a worse Batman story than the BvS movie.
Batman is DARK and GOTHIC and VIOLENT and GRIMDARK and that's the cool poo poo kids love these days about their superheroes, all those funny bright Marvel movies catering to GENERAL AUDIENCES are just a flash in the pan.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Piell posted:

Yeah the Steel in Legends of Tomorrow is Citizen Steel, Wheat Loaf is talking about Steel.
And if even comics nerds can't keep them straight no way they're going to introduce that complexity into the CW shows, where they think people can't differentiate between movie Batman and tv Batman.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mortanis posted:

Hopefully we've not put the whole "Kara is upset with James being Guardian" thing to rest and move on.
I want to know why Hank doesn't have Wynn's head given his excuse for not having fixed Kara's anti-kryptonite chest plate thingy is he was too busy working on Guardian's poo poo. Seems that was one of his main objections to Wynn's moonlighting as Guardian-dispatch that it would affect his job and here he is admitting that it is and in a rather major way to boot.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I thought that episode went in a really weird direction. Like, it was all set up for the plot to be resolved by Kara and Maggie teaming up to find Alex, but they didn't really. Maggie going to release the father didn't sit well with me, her actions kind of undermined the very valid points she had at the start of the episode. I just feel like the emotional arc of the episode wasn't resolved terribly well.
This. Is like the writers were all 'ah hah! Kara's going to have to admit she was wrong about something and learn and gro-HAHAH YOU THOUGHT SUPERGIRL WOULD BE IMPERFECT SHE'S ALWAYS RIGHT EVEN WHEN SHE'S WRONG FOOLISH MORTALS.' Rang really, really false and just... stupid.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm wondering if they won't plot twist it and have the daughter be the baddie. Also that headbutt was excellent.

No they'll have the daughter be killed indirectly via Supergirl in some way (fight wither another MOTW maybe) and this will trigger the Reign of Fire. She's already gone on and on about how her daughter means everything to her and everything she does is for her etc etc and the daughter has already shown herself to be a goddamn dumbass willing to put herself in danger to trigger mom's superpowers AND said superpowers have been shown to need to be triggered by daughter in ultimate danger of death.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Majorian posted:

Yeah, but my criticism isn't about non-straight people hooking up on TV; I'm down with that. It's focused on how Sara in particular is written. I like Alex hooking up at a wedding; poor girl needs it, and you're right, the "queer characters need to be chaste" trope needs to die. But I'm not a big fan of the "All Gays Are Promiscuous" trope either, and I kind of feel like Sara's been stuck in that rut for a while. So like I said, if it turned into them being in a relationship or something, I'd be all for that. I just want Sara to grow a little bit more, because I'm not really impressed with her in "Legends."
Eh, Sara the character was promiscuous long before she was ever outed/realized as a bisexual. I mean she slept with her sister's fiance, for gently caress's sake.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Windows 98 posted:

She mentioned something about doing justice, but in the same breath also called herself a world killer who wants it all to burn. So even in the same line of dialogue she can’t decide what her motives are. It’s even weirder that she went after Edge as if he deserved it, she even muttered under her breathe he deserves it. Does she care about justice or does she care about ruling? The writers seem to be all over the place.

Speaking of being all over the place- can anyone explain how the gently caress Samantha/Reign managed to land a job as head of L Corp? The entirety of her character is “constantly late, never has her poo poo together, always bailing, unreliable, losing her god drat mind”. I feel like they are trying to paint her as some power business lady, but holy poo poo she just comes off as a complete gently caress up. Lena must be the worst manager in history to choose that clusterfuck to run her company.
Inner conflict is my guess. Sam is fighting against her Reignishness by picking 'bad people' to deliver justice to instead of just indiscriminately killing every drat body.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Was the Dibny/Cisco/Wells/Killer Frost Baking Soda joke reference from a previous episode, or was it from a night out we weren't privy to?

Injoke audience was not privy to.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

This episode was pretty drat heavy for fighting a supervillian whose schtick is deadly toys.

Winn's domestic abuse drama (this was well-acted man Laurie Metcalf is good)
Jonn's Alzheimer's dad drama (man this was sad)
Mon-El's relationship drama and Kara's nopin on out of that conversation when she thought he was coming to commiserate about his lyin' wife with her (which good for her! That way lies CW Drama(tm) and Supergirl should probably not be the Other Woman)
Reign and Lena's secret illness drama

The also wacky karaoke seemed rather shoehorned in to force a bit of levity. Also I know Winn can do better with Take On Me c'mon son we've heard him sing. Hearing the others kind of butcher everything was classic though.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

So...did they just...forget...That James has a superhero costume?

Hey he used his shield to whack robots!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

I like how that dude gave a speech in full villain garb at the end. It makes no sense that those people would be able to take him seriously.

Says a man currently living in a timeline where a self-confessed sexual assaulter and failed reality tv star with a ridiculous combover is President of the United States.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Either Manchester Black, Agents of Liberty or Russian Supergirl are gonna get resolved as part of the midseason finale I would think.

Is that the crossover?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Vietnamwees posted:

Which food?

All food. She's polyomniverous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Holy crap, Brainy is Meaghan Rath's brother. I had absolutely no idea.

This blew my mind because I was staring at her trying to figure out if that was just some amazing makeup or CGI or brilliant casting or what because SHE LOOKS LIKE HIM ONLY FEMALE. This didn't even come up as a possibility. Duh.