Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i love elden ring and i don't mind if final fantasy takes some inspiration from it, but i want final fantasy to stay final fantasy and be its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

ff7R had the same "it's all one long hallway" complaints that people level against the series and it owned. not every game has to be "open world" and the traditional JRPG structure just works for final fantasy. sometimes opening up a slow trickle of sidequests and minigames through the story is fine, not every game has to be "find 10 behemoth pelts"

10 is linear as poo poo, you can backtrack and find secret areas once the postgame opens up, but it’s the cool characters and battles that keep it from being a complaint. I’m playing 7 and having an over world is cool for backtracking and sprinkling in some encounter variety but it’s easy to replace

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

i love elden ring and i don't mind if final fantasy takes some inspiration from it, but i want final fantasy to stay final fantasy and be its own thing.

I feel like both of them start with the same "Japanese RPG take on Western fantasy" and end up in wildly different places. They're both good and should keep doing their separate things

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I feel like both of them start with the same "Japanese RPG take on Western fantasy" and end up in wildly different places. They're both good and should keep doing their separate things

I just want devs to keep iterating on design trends as they advance. Botw and elden ring were both late to the open world party but they showed that rockstar was leaving a lot of meat on the bone

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Final Fantasy is always evolving and trying new stuff that sometimes hits and sometimes misses, so I'm not really worried.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i think a lot of the hosed up monsters in fromsoft games do look sort of like the 3D realization of final fantasy's amano drawings and i love that despite the similarities they feel very different.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

XVI I s just the prototype for remake episode 2

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got the tude now posted:

I just want devs to keep iterating on design trends as they advance. Botw and elden ring were both late to the open world party but they showed that rockstar was leaving a lot of meat on the bone

I love that Japanese devs only really got into open world games in the last generation or so (with some exceptions like Xenoblade) and immediately blasted the West's rear end with BotW, FF15, Elden Ring etc

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

laughing at the idea of rockstar making a botw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

th best final fantasy games imo (5, 6, 7, 9, and maybe 10) already take th design philosophy elden ring followed of an interesting world to explore crammed with secrets. hopefully 16 follows that and i'm hopeful it will, yoshi-p knows how to make a good game

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

10 is linear as poo poo, you can backtrack and find secret areas once the postgame opens up, but it’s the cool characters and battles that keep it from being a complaint. I’m playing 7 and having an over world is cool for backtracking and sprinkling in some encounter variety but it’s easy to replace

I think I enjoy an overworld for giving different areas a sense of place and context in a greater world, but really there isn’t much to them really. I felt the linearity of 10 was a bit jarring at first for sure. 12 felt like a nice compromise between 10 and earlier games in the series and still stands as one of my fav in the series. Times have changed obv and I’m sure it’ll be a step forward again but with some weird idea that doesn’t quite stick the landing but who cares. FF ftw.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

th best final fantasy games imo (5, 6, 7, 9, and maybe 10) already take th design philosophy elden ring followed of an interesting world to explore crammed with secrets. hopefully 16 follows that and i'm hopeful it will, yoshi-p knows how to make a good game

for all its flaws, 8 does a decent job of this too IMO. there's a ton of little stuff to discover in the corners like the shumi village, the UFOs, the optional ruins, even if the execution doesn't quite nail it like the better games

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I love that Japanese devs only really got into open world games in the last generation or so (with some exceptions like Xenoblade) and immediately blasted the West's rear end with BotW, FF15, Elden Ring etc

I loved FF15 and I found it’s open world, road trip idea cool but I think BoTW was def a turning point which made everything before it feel a bit flawed. I don’t think any game world I have experienced feels as complete as hyrule in BoTW with the caveat I have not played elden ring

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

for all its flaws, 8 does a decent job of this too IMO. there's a ton of little stuff to discover in the corners like the shumi village, the UFOs, the optional ruins, even if the execution doesn't quite nail it like the better games

I think 8 does an awesome job of making the overworld exciting to explore. Early on you only have access to a small part and can use a rental car or train to manage the distances, but eventually you can do cross continental travel over sea and explore that way, but still see areas you won’t be able to access until the airship. It’s just a really nice way of world building and making it seem bigger than it is given the limitations of that console generation.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
The most surprising thing about ff7 is how small the dungeons are, most are like 3 screens with 2-3 items per. I remember them from when I was a kid being a lot more terrifying. Elden rings got me wanting more Big Dungeons in stuff

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

yeah 8's good at it too. i guess what i'm sayin, just because 13 was a corridor walker and 15 was a behemoth pelt open world game doesnt mean that this one will be. i'm definitely interested. don't want to buy a ps5 though lol

copy
Jul 26, 2007

elf help book posted:

laughing at the idea of rockstar making a botw

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Standing still to look at something for 10 seconds and link goes “I’d better find somewhere I can climb up” four times

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

I loved FF15 and I found it’s open world, road trip idea cool but I think BoTW was def a turning point which made everything before it feel a bit flawed. I don’t think any game world I have experienced feels as complete as hyrule in BoTW with the caveat I have not played elden ring

im planning to play all of witcher 3 for a 4th time cause im a psycho sometime after the rtx patch drops, but after elden ring just thinking about going to all the ? marks on the map that are just put there right from the start already feels disappointing.

i dont remember if theyre there right at the get or if they show up from the message boards in villages, but meh.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Standing still to look at something for 10 seconds and link goes “I’d better find somewhere I can climb up” four times

buying a horse ranch and grinding taxi carriage missions to get enough rupees to buy a satchel upgrade from Grittier Beedle

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The most surprising thing about ff7 is how small the dungeons are, most are like 3 screens with 2-3 items per. I remember them from when I was a kid being a lot more terrifying. Elden rings got me wanting more Big Dungeons in stuff

Yeah I'm playing FF6 pixel remaster and some of the dungeons are way smaller than I remember them being.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I enjoy small dungeons. I think it’s hard to make large dungeons that don’t get stale or repetitive.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I want large dungeons with multiple dead ends and secrets, and I still somehow manage to walk straight to the end and miss all of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

herculon posted:

I want large dungeons with multiple dead ends and secrets, and I still somehow manage to walk straight to the end and miss all of it.

this is ffxii

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

The quality of botw's open world and ffxv's is about as far apart as you can get. Night and day

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elden Ring is the only other open world that I could say compares to BotW, they're the two best open worlds ever made

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I enjoy small dungeons. I think it’s hard to make large dungeons that don’t get stale or repetitive.

herculon posted:

SIMPSONS FOCUS GROUP GUY: So you want small, non-repetitive dungeons… swarming with dead ends and secrets.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dungeons kick rear end. fact.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

SIMPSONS FOCUS GROUP GUY: So you want small, non-repetitive dungeons… swarming with dead ends and secrets.

One kid REALLY seems to love procedurally generated floors.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fungah! posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One kid REALLY seems to love procedurally generated floors.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/mintasmoon/status/1551599616914628608?s=21&t=27i882LFsQcnHDotj5JU1Q