Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apropos to nothing posted:

:twisted: ff8 is my favorite :twisted:

XIII is mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Before uhh 2 or 3 years ago I had only played the remakes of 1 - 4. But when I saw the E3 trailer for Lightning Returns I thought that it looked completely insane and wanted to try and figure out the context for it so I played FF 6 through XIII-2 skipping the MMOs. Very awesome year

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's cool that it feels like LR was a different game and they just swapped in the cast of FFXIII and set it 10,000 years after the first two so the plot didn't have to make any sense and called it a day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

Can I talk about bravely second in this thread

Im going to buy it after I finish the DQ7 postgame and will post about it here as well

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every FF game except the MMOs (XI, XII and XIV) are good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

every ff thread is just tier lists

Its important to get them out of your system early in a thread's lifespan

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

World of Final Fantasy looks kinda cool, its like Dragon Quest Monsters for FF

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Alright let's talk about fabula nova crystallis. I think that it's odd that Lightning is the only character on the cover of all 3 games when she's arguably only the main character of one of them and she barely appears in FFXIII-2. Vanille is the most important character in FFXIII imo and of course Serah and Noel share FFXIII-2.

Its also badass that XIII-2 opens with a 10 minute cinematic and Caius and Lightning battling at the ends of reality and both characters appear for like 2 scenes in the actual game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The XIII-2 alternate ending stuff was a fun system, more people should blatantly rip off that aspect of Chrono Trigger.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

If i played nearly every main line Final Fantasy game should I start at 3 or 4.

Start with 1, NES version :troll:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did the same thing my first time playin X-2 and got to chapter 3 in like a few hours and was getting destroyed by everything and restarted my file and had my mind mildly blown when I started visiting all the towns every chapter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

X-2 is a way better game than X but I imagine people were pissed paying full price for a game that was basically a copy paste of X's art and world

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

I never played any of the 13 games ... from everything I've heard the first one doesn't sound nearly as fun mechanically as XII-2 or Lightning Returns but am I gonna be totally lost if I skip it? I don't have a PS3 or PC to play them on so i'll have to rent them on psnow i think

People seem to like XIII-2 a lot more than XIII but personally its my least favorite of the three. They moved to a more open structure and made the combat stone cold easy because a lot of people couldnt wrap their heads around XIII. You can raise monsters to fight for you and theres a lot more stuff to explore in XIII-2 but the original has much better difficulty and design, even if it is pretty slow ramp. Story wise none of it matters because each game has a pretty self contained story with characters that just cross over as needed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Remake and the movie, unless Advent Children is the movie, I've never seen it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mandatory grind? Which part?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hmm when I first got to gran pulse everything was kicking my rear end so I figured I had to just do it later so I went directly to the story path and didn't have a problem with that stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder how Academia 400F or whatever era it was, ever made it into XIII-2 without someone in the development team saying "maybe we should rethink this"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

TBH most fights were taking 10+ minutes even before beating the robot pope guy. i wasnt playing badly either, i have the lightning returns plat and most of the 13-2 trophies so its not like i dont understand the system. i personally like to keep my levels low in RPGs but since 13 is so linear i probably wasnt particularly underlevelled in it either

That sounds odd to me... I replayed XIII last year and the longest fights I can think of were all bosses around the 10 minute mark. I don't remember fights taking that long

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Wasn't that just straight up Blade Runner lol

It was the level that had random encounters every 3 to 4 seconds against 0xp junk enemies. The fights took longer to load than to actually play and it went on for like 45 minutes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The genocide system is awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RIP Tri-Ace. Their latest got translated and is coming out in the US next week. I have the Japanese version and after 2 hours gave up on it, it's not a very good game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah but it's ugly as sin. The gameplay is pretty similar , the structure is lame because you're running missions multiple times for Loot to Unlock the Next Mission style

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cashed in my GameStop rewards points and got bravely second for 20 bucks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

nice, we're even too on progress. I looked up where the demo stopped and it really was 5 hours into the game

Oh interesting, I thought he demo was like a standalone story. Can I import data or anything? I think I just get item bonuses for having played it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

I've, uh, never played a FF game besides Crystal Chronicles. Where should I start?

By bringing over your GBA SP + Link Cable over to my place and replaying Crystal Chronicles

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a shame the multilayer in that game required that completely unnecessary control setup because I really enjoyed that game. I would love a new one with online

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fire emblem fates: conquest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FF8 is my least favorite because of the scaling enemies. It gets rid of the best part of JRPGS, the slow struggle of getting powrrful, and makes that a binary equipment selection that you do once and then never worry about again. About halfway through I just turned on no-enc and walked through the next 2 discs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started Bravely Second, and yes that's correct I started it on Hard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

nice, we're even too on progress. I looked up where the demo stopped and it really was 5 hours into the game

Btw the demo is a separate side story that takes place before the game. I got a bonus gift of some potions + Phoenix downs for playing and a little party chat when the Three Cavaliers rebranded reminiscing about their last adventure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

Oh that's odd. I remember i looked up a description for a boss I encountered several hours in and it said that it was the final boss of the demo too

I bet they reuse a few bosses especially all the job ones. Maybe I'll get special dialogue or something! I'm only like 30 minutes in but I immediately remember why I love the battle system in these games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

it's freaking win but I couldn't believe the pay for bravely second thing you can do

Lol yeah that's so dumb. I wonder if anybody has ever actually paid money so they could do a turn over and save uhh like 3 minutes of time from their actual lives. You'd have to be psychotic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

it's not doing a turn over at all actually it allows a character to perform up to like 6 continuous attacks on top of however many braves you've got with addition to extra damage. It can one shot bosses with it I'm sure

Haha cool. I mean you can one shot bosses anyway, I made a set up that could kill the demo final boss in one turn just for kicks since I did everything else

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wtf Janne

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmao the VR gyro control escape sequence was insane

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Glad to see that "Mrgrgr" is back as well

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

do you know at which point i get to control the encounter rate and chain battles?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The second I posted that I unlocked the encounter rate menu lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

yeah, it's awesome for after beating a dungeon and going back to clean it up of chests

I also like to use it so I don't get too OP before fighting a boss. the fact they also have a little expected level range for reference is great for that. just unlocked triple wielding and its awesome, especially combined with the charioteer passive so if you go for a 4x normal attack by the last round youre attacking 3 times and critting with all 3. Cant wait to unlock more jobs, the wheel on the job menu looks massive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

trading in games?!?

I did this once because my vita came with an assassin's creed game