Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Tactics is my favorite one, followed by 9, followed by 7. 8 comes in 4th, but has inarguably the best card mini game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

it works with death magic too :getin:

That game is so much fun to break. I spent one evening during summer semester at college getting the disc 1 Lionheart through card mod

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

The fencer/bishop fight was rough, I went through like 25 potions to stay alive but I prevailed. I like when bosses give XP in JRPGs, sometimes they don't which is kind of a let down

Yes, but that allows for low level runs.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

They need to stop pronouncing Ba'al as Balls

Diablo 2 Ba'al runs ftw

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
In FF7 you can get tetra magic from a zolom and wreck the first disc

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

Khimari is the saddest blue Mage ever

I never used him.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

a Loving Dog posted:

anybody try the woff demo on psn? seems fun

How does it play? I saw a screenshot of it and it looked alright

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

FFIX is an amazing game, the moreso for the fact that in the long storied history of FF, it's the only main title that tried doing the throwback and it pulls it off perfectly

It's so good. As the poster above said, it's the best send off for the classic style FF they could have done.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

Wakka is cool

he marries lulu

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I hope you are only addicted to games now

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The XIII series is good and anyone who disagrees is a slave to their nostalgia.

I didn't make it through my first playthrough on PS3 when it came out, but I recently played it all the way through on PC and loved it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Apparently the PC port of Lightning Returns was rough at first but they patched it up a bit and it seems mostly fine to me. Only issue I have are Xbox button display (I use a ds4) and some slowdown in towns where it seems to put my gpu to 50% clock speed. Otherwise, it works fine with 4K resolution and 60fps and other pc cuck essebtials

Surely there's a patch to replace the button indicators?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Love to get the football forum off topic with FFT discussion

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

a Loving Dog posted:

Pre-ordered this loving game for Xbox because it apparently has a really decent HDR mode and I want to see what HDR looks like on my TV, it was $11 off on amazon prime with release day shipping, and I am a loving sucker for Final Fantasy games even in my advanced age of the early 30s.

Is this one of those games that is another lovely "coming of age" story centered around a bunch of teenagers so cringe worthy that I'll need to shroud the TV with a blanket while playing to prevent the girlfriend and other people over at the house saying poo poo like: "Dude wtf? You a pedo gay Japanese fag fuckboi? Why are you playing this poo poo?". Or is the story somewhat salvageable consisting of a slightly more mature cast this time around?

Apparently the characters are at least old enough to drive a loving car this time around so I really hope there are some slightly less childish drama elements in it that will prevent me from getting placed on a sexual predator watch list. Also, apparently the latter part of the game takes places 10-15 years after the first part too. Is that true?

SE should really consider targeting an older audience for their next Final Fantasy games having an older cast dealing with real problems instead of "How to cope with your first Jack Kerouac adventure across the country".

Games is such a bad forum

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

tumor looking batty posted:

drat reading this thread is making me want to replay ff8 and ff9 (I haven't played any of the newer ones)

You should play X and X-2

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

absolutely anything posted:

hopefully i join all the gamers here on christmas

Same. My friend told me that the game is amazing

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54DGq51cEVQ

this battle theme is so good, i cant wait to get this game!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Thinkign about other great Final Fantasy tracks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck294MtGHAU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPvQoxXUQok

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqqxT2wJ8tI

FFIX has some of my favorite songs from the whole series. The normal battle theme might be the best out of any of them.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I.N.R.I posted:

i agree about the battle theme. youre actually the only other person ive seen mention that they like it

It's so good. It's a nice fusion of the old school music and the newer type of music. Much like the game itself is a fusion of old school final fantasy and newer mechanics! FFIX is such a gem.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Video games are so good.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The games thread for this game is terrible. They all post like their opinion is really important because they finished a 50 hour game in 3 days and know a lot about anime.

Games sucks. I appreciate the unironic video game enjoyment found here in the Imp Zone

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Defending the honor of FFVIII

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

FactsAreUseless posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw

What happened to Final Fantasy?

I remember the old games very fondly. I thought they were alright. Some of them were even good (some were really good.) Is that just nostalgia? Lower expectations of quality because I was an idiot child? Were FF games always bad?

In my opinion, in the early days of Final Fantasy each new game in the series built and improved off the ones preceeding it. Square seemed to learn from each game and make the next game better/more interesting in various ways. The constant improvements that came with each successive game meant that the world, the story, and the characters got more developed and interesting as the series progressed.

I could take the time to talk about every Final Fantasy. I could ramble on about the aspects of every game and how they grew and improved with each game but that would take forever and be :spergin: so the TL;DR is that the series started with composite characters with no real drives or any personality to speak of, a vague world, and an ultimate evil that came out of loving nowhere in FF1 and developed into a game with rich, well developed characters with their own drives and unique personalities, a deep and detailed world and history, a largely comprehensible story and plot, and a known villain with a history and purpose in FF6+

So what happened to Final Fantasy? Well, here's my diagnosis.

I feel the series really started to get its bearings with FF4 and reached its pinnacle with FF6, which is the best game in the series (fight me IRL.) And that the series loses its vision, goes off the rails, and completely jumps the shark with FF7. (There is a brief reprieve with FF9, the third best game in the series, before it goes right back to being either aggressively mediocre or downright lovely.)

If Final Fantasy VI is the first best and Final Fantasy IX is the third best what's the second best?
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Anyway, I think Final Fantasy VII is what happened to Final Fantasy. I could write up a long rear end rant about how FF7 not only sent the FF series into the toilet but also did irreparable damage to virtually all video games as a whole but I'm just going to keep it short and say that Square focused most of its energy and resources on making FF7 look as pretty and impressive as possible and the story, plot, and characters were obviously an afterthought. The game suffered for it, it really was not good and if you think it was you are wrong.

But, despite being not that good, FF7 was a commercial success. And because of FF7's massive popularity and profitability Square, along with almost the entire video game industry, embraced the trend of prioritizing graphics over actual substance with frankly depressing results.

Since FF7, the whole series has been getting progressively worse with each new game (with the exception of FF9. Also I have heard some good things about the MMO but. :shrug:) And Sqaure have made amazing design choices like padding out their games by adding in collectathon nonsense and nearly impossible to get ultimate weapons (gently caress dodging lightning.) Adding entire sections of "game play" solely designed to waste time. Where you spend actual hours of your life having no fun, doing nothing important, and not progressing the plot whatsoever. And adding in hours long battles, not boss battles, regular loving battles.

And Final Fantasy XV is shaping up to be the ultimate expression of meaningless, time wasting, unfun nonsense.

But hey, if you've got the time, check out Brainweasel's LP of FF X-2 because she makes a not good game look really good.

What a vile and diseased mentality

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just bought this game from a guy in SA-Mart, it ought to be here just in time for Christmas break! 🙌🙌🙌

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wniOUlRwaMM

http://soundfxcenter.com/download-sound/starcraft-firebat-slammin-sound-effect/

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

rediscover posted:

Well, I confused you with the other guy with the same noob avi who didn't use tags at all, so I'm not as mad at you as I am with the other guy who is going to get suplexed by my hit squad fairly soon.

I'm the guy that does the dragon suplex in the hit squad

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just started the game. All the characters are friends 🤗🤗🤗

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

I am enjoying it so much. I love the way the characters interact.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bolverkur posted:

having insane poo poo happen and doing cool quests just to hear Fisherman's Horizon (it's usually on repeat) when I get in the Regalia makes for potent gaming feels

Is there a way to get the music to shuffle between playlists while driving or do I have to manually switch it each time?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Down on the dpad will switch to repeat and then shuffle. Pretty sure that goes across playlists

Perfect. Thanks. Also, is there a way to zoom the camera out in the car?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Thank you! Road trip feels

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

goferchan posted:

sorry about your lovely max HP Prompto but I am replacing the accessory that boosts it with this new one I found that lets you take more pictures in a single day

Lol...but where is that accessory

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
The food in this game gets me hungry for some lunch

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Goodness gracious I got deleted by an imperial gank squad

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I just bought it too.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Prompto just said "ore is a bore" while we were hunting stones for Dino lol goty

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I love riding chocobos with my chocobros. I named my Boko and kept him gold for classic purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
FFVIII world music just came on while driving...