Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

And now they give the secret briefing about Andromeda to those present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

teagone posted:

Your poo poo is busted dude, haha. I don't even have an AC capable router and my 2nd gen Chromecasts can play 1080p/~20-30Mbps bitrate content from my Plex server on 5GHz WiFi without any issue.

Also lol at how abruptly the stream ended. BYE.

You've never had any hitches in any way, shape or form going from wired to AC on the 2nd gen Chromecast from 50 feet away from the router, with 2+ solid walls in the way?

Sounds like bullshit to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just realized there was no new tablet announced. :(

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Wow... absolutely nothing interested me in that presentation.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah presentation was highly disappointing...

I'll just lug around my Nexus 6 next year and hope the next phones are better...it still has support for another year at least.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ALFbrot posted:

Man that just makes me feel like they're doing some SUPER SECRET ANNOUNCEMENT to the people in-person that is not for our livestreaming eyes
"Everyone here gets a free Pixel!"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pre-orders are up. $700 w/ tax. Forget that. I'll buy it in a few months when it's on sale.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

teagone posted:

I just realized there was no new tablet announced. :(

gently caress, I forgot about the rumoured new Nexus 7 tablet thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kirios posted:

You've never had any hitches in any way, shape or form going from wired to AC on the 2nd gen Chromecast from 50 feet away from the router, with 2+ solid walls in the way?

Sounds like bullshit to me.

I never said my Chromecasts were 50 feet away from my router, and neither did you, haha! Add some access points or power line adapters or something to extend your network so your WiFi isn't poo poo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

air- posted:

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_phone

What the hell, $18.99 for expedited shipping and it's not even 2 day? :argh:
I am not a smart person.
:(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

teagone posted:

I never said my Chromecasts were 50 feet away from my router, and neither did you, haha! Add some access points or power line adapters or something to extend your network so your WiFi isn't poo poo.

There's still latency and a lack of consistency involved. In a weird way I miss living in a 650 sq apartment, everything worked just fine. Now at triple the space and with the house significantly longer (and with much more solid walls) than the apartment going from room to room is not great. I've had to downgrade from AC to AN or even to GN altogether for devices far away just to have a stable connection.

Again, I'm a network engineer, I'm painfully aware of how to make things work or how to extend things. It's why during the winter months in Portland I'm running CAT-6 everywhere. I hate inconsistency with my network connections, it pisses me off in a very irrational way.

Edit: Though I'll be man enough to admit I wasn't aware there was an ethernet adapter for the gen 1 chromecast...I already bought one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Already ordered the new pixel 8 tablet

Kirios posted:

Again, I'm a network engineer, I'm painfully aware of how to make things work or how to extend things. It's why during the winter months in Portland I'm running CAT-6 everywhere. I hate inconsistency with my network connections, it pisses me off in a very irrational way.

Having your whole house wired is wonderful. I did it before we moved into the house we purchased.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I preordered it because I passed up on the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and Nexus 5X, and for once I'd like to be on the cutting edge of Google's hardware and software updates. Using an S6 Edge+ right now and it confirmed that I do not, in fact, like huge phones. It fits in my pocket but digs into my hip when I bend over.

Also dat blue

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Having your whole house wired is wonderful. I did it before we moved into the house we purchased.

I've made it halfway through wiring my place and yeah it loving owns.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

ugh, super jealous. I can't wait to start that project. I've already got the rack installed in the coat closet with a patch panel just waiting. :getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just want to add this here for posterity.

https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/779757830203068416

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mmm yes Google Wifi, surely introducing a bad autonomous AP set-up to your house will change the future.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kirios posted:

ugh, super jealous. I can't wait to start that project. I've already got the rack installed in the coat closet with a patch panel just waiting. :getin:

Nice, what rack did you get? Im using a small 12" deep one off amazon. I think it was monoprice

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Preordered and already canceled. Close to a thousand bucks?

Yeah, so I reordered through Fi for the free headset. Boosh.

I wish there was a 64gb option, but whatever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

48 port Leviton full length. My rack is 42U because I'm running *everything* to that thing. Audio, video, network, storage, all centralized and managed.

Edit: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-42U-Rack-Enclosure-Server-Cabinet-Premium-EXCLUSIVE-PRICE/858765.aspx

I believe this is my rack. Got it for free after decomming a bunch of stuff at work and we no longer had a use for it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Don Lapre posted:

Kindly stop, turn and explain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Nice, what rack did you get? Im using a small 12" deep one off amazon. I think it was monoprice

You guys with your racks and patch panels. I just drilled holes through my floors and have all my cabling and network equipment out in the open in the spare bedroom.
I'm too ashamed to take a photo of my 'living like poo poo' setup.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kirios posted:

48 port Leviton full length. My rack is 42U because I'm running *everything* to that thing. Audio, video, network, storage, all centralized and managed.

Edit: https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-42U-Rack-Enclosure-Server-Cabinet-Premium-EXCLUSIVE-PRICE/858765.aspx

I believe this is my rack. Got it for free after decomming a bunch of stuff at work and we no longer had a use for it.

Ballin. Already got a switch? I got a 48 port hp and a 24 port netgear poe i think sitting in the garage.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is the 48 poe? I've got a 48 but it isn't poe...

I may be interested in the 24. Is it full length? Do you have ears for it?

Edit: 10/100/1000 for both I assume?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Skarsnik posted:

Oh god £599 in the uk

For the basic model (5" and 32GB).

For the 5.5" and 128GB it's £819.00.

Never thought I'd say this, but Google can gently caress off.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

spookygonk posted:

For the basic model (5" and 32GB).

For the 5.5" and 128GB it's £819.00.

Never thought I'd say this, but Google can gently caress off.
This is the same price as the iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB. Yeah it's high, but it's hardly unheard of.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FunOne posted:

Preordered and already canceled. Close to a thousand bucks?

Yeah, so I reordered through Fi for the free headset. Boosh.

I wish there was a 64gb option, but whatever.
The store has the same promo code offer.

I stuck with slow shipping for mine.

And fi doesn't work with custom domain google accounts. Damnmit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cicero posted:

This is the same price as the iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB. Yeah it's high, but it's hardly unheard of.

Yeah, but that's an iPhone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kirios posted:

Is the 48 poe? I've got a 48 but it isn't poe...

I may be interested in the 24. Is it full length? Do you have ears for it?

Edit: 10/100/1000 for both I assume?

Let me check when I get home. ill pm you. The 24 port is full length. It may only be 10/100 though. Ill PM you tonight.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

The store has the same promo code offer.

I stuck with slow shipping for mine.

And fi doesn't work with custom domain google accounts. Damnmit.

Really? I didn't see anything when I placed my previous order. Either way, it is done now.

Crashpackx
Nov 10, 2003
The Elder

This is probably in reference to Andromeda (Chrome OS/Android merger), and not to the yawn-league devices they announced today.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Crashpackx posted:

This is probably in reference to Andromeda (Chrome OS/Android merger), and not to the yawn-league devices they announced today.

They didn't mention Andromeda today. He said the oct 4 (event) would be talked about for years to come. Unless there is some other announcement that has not happened yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Skarsnik posted:

Oh god £599 in the uk
Still cheaper than mainland Europe. 600 GBP are 682 Euros. They sell it on the mainland for 759 Euros however.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

After the iPhone 6/7 launches I was joking how they were 1000+ dollar/euro phones.

Well, here we are, the 128 GB Pixel XL is 1009 Euro.

Nexus 4 for another year it is, then.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

badjohny posted:

They didn't mention Andromeda today. He said the oct 4 (event) would be talked about for years to come. Unless there is some other announcement that has not happened yet.

I'm fairly certain he is talking about the phones, it's just that someone at Google isn't going to say "Hey everyone, our phones coming out a week will be underwhelming and overpriced."

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

8 years from now I will look back on this event and remember what an embarrassment for Google it was.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Google: for a company that's all about learning things, we're surprisingly bad at learning things.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Mr. Powers posted:

I still want to know what the song was in the Pixel spot.

Lemaitre feat Jennie A. - Closer

Norwegian Electronic/indie band. And they're on tour right now in the US.

https://soundcloud.com/serious-url (I'm not a fan of their most recent song.. it's bad)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 4, 2016

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

mitztronic posted:

Lemaitre feat Jennie A. - Closer

Norwegian Electronic/indie band. And they're on tour right now in the US.

https://soundcloud.com/serious-url (I'm not a fan of their most recent song.. it's bad)

Thank you. Added to my listen to list. It was an interesting crossing of musical genres and the highlight of the event for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope my 5X will last for a longer while and that new ones won't go out of stock. There's currently exactly nothing on the market that appeals to me in both form and function.

• Locked thread