Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Wintersteel is outstanding. It’s so good it makes every other book in the series look like trash in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
It definitely was an amazing trip. All the setup from uncrowned paid off better than I ever expected.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Probably to no one's surprise, PracGuide will have another book.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

lurksion posted:

Probably to no one's surprise, PracGuide will have another book.

I thought the author said this was going to be the last one?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Free to keep on Amazon? Am I gonna need to sign up to a trial of anything for this?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Artificer posted:

Free to keep on Amazon? Am I gonna need to sign up to a trial of anything for this?

Free, they're discounted to 0.00 so you're just buying them for free.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
"Remember Lindon! Remember to visit a barber! A barber, Lindon! Your hair lacks volume and defin--"
The portal closed.

Wintersteel is good ya'll.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cynic Jester posted:

"Remember Lindon! Remember to visit a barber! A barber, Lindon! Your hair lacks volume and defin--"
The portal closed.

Wintersteel is good ya'll.

Eithan is operating at peak Ethan throughout but the bit that slew me was right at the end:

Eithan’s head slowly slid up over Lindon’s shoulder.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Wintersteel is outstanding. It’s so good it makes every other book in the series look like trash in comparison.

Padding it out and letting it all breathe was genuinely a good idea.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Wintersteel is definitely by a lot the best Cradle book

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, having read his other novels, not letting his setting breathe is a thing for this author. Looks like changing his process helped a bunch.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah, having read his other novels, not letting his setting breathe is a thing for this author. Looks like changing his process helped a bunch.

I remember the Amalgam books (House of Blades, etc.) in particular suffered from this. It sounds strange to say a work of fiction needs more infodumps, but I definitely had that reaction there; there was a definite tendency to rush to the next action setpiece instead of stopping to explain things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I still don't feel like I have the firmest idea of what exactly a Herald is, mind you. Sages seem pretty straightforward - they're living embodiments of a particular concept, and can thus exert influence on reality itself in manners appropriate to their concept. Heralds seem a bit less clear.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 7, 2020

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Darth Walrus posted:

I still don't feel like I have the firmest idea of what exactly a Herald is, mind you. Sages seem pretty straightforward - they're living embodiments of a particular concept, and can thus exert influence on reality itself in manners appropriate to their concept. Heralds seem a bit less clear.

Herald is just the rank above Archlord/Archlady and below Monarch

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

In Wintersteel we learn that there are 2 ways for an Archlord to advance. By being recognized by an Icon, an Archlord or Lady seemingly gains insight and access to the Way of the Abidan and gains some measure of Authority (ambiguously defined but seemingly the ability to enforce your will in the universe, including other people), thus becoming a Sage. Otherwise, a peak Archlord or Lady can somehow expel and then fuse with their remnant, with the resulting gestalt entity being a Herald. No Herald is a Sage, and no Sage is a Herald, because to be both is to be a Monarch. We see the advancement to Monarch from both sides over course of Wintersteel; Northstrider was a Sage when he consumed a Herald dragon and advanced to Monarch while Fury was a Herald who got recognized by an Icon and advanced.

So I would say that a Herald is someone in the next tier of cultivation power from a Lord, who has yet to access the Way. Herald’s can’t teleport but can move incredibly fast.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, but I think Herald is the more "normal" (for what that means for something already rare) way to upgrade, with Sage being the less typical way. Heralds just seem to be more along the lines of typical upgrades vs Sages who get the Way/authority stuff

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is going to be genuinely fascinating to see how Yerin ascends to Monarch, given that it's a pretty iron rule that she's always slightly more conventionally powerful than Lindon. Seeing what Icon she ends up embodying will be interesting. I'm also glad that Yan Shoumei made it out alive. It would be fun if she and Yerin have a chance to hang out, make friends, and maybe murder the Blood Sage together.

The big thing, though, is that I'm pretty sure Lindon is going to end up eating a whole Dreadgod at some point, and it will be :stonklol:.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wintersteel is good. That is all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wintersteel is really good. I guess it wasn't quite as ruthlessly focused on advancing the plot with every single word as the previous books but it certainly didn't feel like it wasted any pages.

My only disappointment was I really liked Ruby and was hoping she'd stick around for a while.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 9, 2020

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sindai posted:

Wintersteel is really good. I guess it wasn't quite as ruthlessly focused on advancing the plot with every single word as the previous books but it certainly didn't feel like it wasted any pages.

My only disappointment was I really liked Ruby and was hoping she'd stick around for a while.

Same. Yerin's reaction to the name was just perfect.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

She technically became one of the main characters

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

IShallRiseAgain posted:

She technically became is one of the main characters

:black101:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Reading the cradle books, I was honestly expecting Ziel to have been a significantly diminished ozriel . Anyone else think that on first read?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Started "Life, Once Again!" and it is one of the best I died and got to do it over web novels I have seen. Dude doesn't have a system, doesn't remember everything that is going to happen. He pretty much just wants to be able to meet his wife again and have a more financially secure life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my latest find is Emperor of Steel, a korean non-isekai fantasy wn. on its own merits, it is okay but not particularly noteworthy in any way. however, qidian's translations are terrible in strange and hilarious ways. every few paragraphs it drifts into non sequitur land, using obviously incorrect translations for various terms. however, it is different from most godawful barely edited machine translations in that it is mostly grammatically correct and that it doesn't change to a new incorrect meaning for a word after using it once. i still haven't been able to figure out what gloves are supposed to be, but they seem to be very important. by contrast, only one person ever emitted argon gas, and it hasn't come up again since then.

and obviously, i'm not actually reading it on qidian. as always, gently caress those guys.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

by contrast, only one person ever emitted argon gas, and it hasn't come up again since then.
I think you're supposed to say "excuse me" when you do that

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my latest find is Emperor of Steel, a korean non-isekai fantasy wn. on its own merits, it is okay but not particularly noteworthy in any way. however, qidian's translations are terrible in strange and hilarious ways. every few paragraphs it drifts into non sequitur land, using obviously incorrect translations for various terms. however, it is different from most godawful barely edited machine translations in that it is mostly grammatically correct and that it doesn't change to a new incorrect meaning for a word after using it once. i still haven't been able to figure out what gloves are supposed to be, but they seem to be very important. by contrast, only one person ever emitted argon gas, and it hasn't come up again since then.

and obviously, i'm not actually reading it on qidian. as always, gently caress those guys.

I still remember one chapter of Cultivation Chatgroup on webnovel.com had the MC work on his foodwork instead of foot work for him martial arts.

Anzrel
Dec 15, 2010
Heyo everyone. Author of Forge of Destiny here. I know my works been discussed a few times in this thread and others, so I thought I'd put out notice here. In addition to publishing the first portion of Forge of Destiny in e-book format with some more editing and touch ups over even the royal road version. I've also been picked up by an audiobook publisher, and said audiobook, narrated by Natalie Naudus will be up on December 22 if you have an interest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8175Z1

Sorry in advance if this isn't the appropriate thread for this kind of thing!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Anzrel posted:

Heyo everyone. Author of Forge of Destiny here. I know my works been discussed a few times in this thread and others, so I thought I'd put out notice here. In addition to publishing the first portion of Forge of Destiny in e-book format with some more editing and touch ups over even the royal road version. I've also been picked up by an audiobook publisher, and said audiobook, narrated by Natalie Naudus will be up on December 22 if you have an interest.

This is probably the right thread for it if anywhere is. The only alternative I can think of would be the Kindle Unlimited thread in TBB, I guess.

And congratulations!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Anzrel posted:

That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Anzrel posted:

Does the audiobook include the narrator reading out all the discussion and voting posts from the thread version of the story? :v:

"*solemn narrator voice*

"... They were dead. They were all dead.

"Clopclopski writes: wow what a chapter! but hey, at least we can level up now! I suggest three points in..."

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Megazver posted:

Does the audiobook include the narrator reading out all the discussion and voting posts from the thread version of the story? :v:

"*solemn narrator voice*

"... They were dead. They were all dead.

"Clopclopski writes: wow what a chapter! but hey, at least we can level up now! I suggest three points in..."

My favorite (hilarious but perhaps inappropriate) comment after a chapter is the one in which Zeqing suffers existence failure.

I quote: "Also, one less Social Link, nice. Just a few more dead friends to go and we might have enough social actions for them all. :^"

Anzrel
Dec 15, 2010
No sadly not, only author and editor content included in the book. It'd be even more monstrously long like that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Might be worth also posting in the Web Serial thread over in the Book Barn, Forge of Destiny Author, although there's definitely poster overlap.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I'd say that the web serial thread is probably posted in a bit more frequently.

I'll definitely pick up the ebook Forge of Destiny. I'm due for a re-read and never read the Royal Road version. I hope it does well, because those stories have always been exactly what I wish most other "progression" (for lack of a better description of the "following a protagonist as they become stronger and do fighting in a fantasy world" genre) web novels were like.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Forums CYOA are prone to a lot of munky cheez stuff. How much of that is in Forge of Destiny?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Forums CYOA are prone to a lot of munky cheez stuff. How much of that is in Forge of Destiny?

essentially none, the worst I'd say that came of the original format is the way the focus of the story shifts with the decisions the players made. it's better than most of the TGR threads and miles ahead of a GBS-style joke CYOA

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The actual game drags and gets grindy in the last third but I imagine that's been fixed in editing.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Ye Yan bought an iphone after selling his kidney and Dies by falling in sewer and transverse to Ye family Waste who was born with one kidney and unable to cultivate. His Second uncle want him to cultivate Evil Dao Technique to become a women and marry him to One of the Four main family. Ye Yun was getting bullied Until he found out that his kidneys could not only make alchemy but also had the function of a smartphone, everything changed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the author doesn't actually know what kidneys do