Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol you play wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
like, drat dude. i'm a broke-brain vet who likes anime and has read every translated chapter of mahouka, but at least i haven't sunk so low as to play wow in 2016.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think that if you play wow and it is 2016, you should take a step back and critically re-evaluate the life choices that led you down this path.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I like the spider LN because the author knows that the thing people reading these novels care about isnt plot, or characterization, or setting, or anything like that, what matters is skill progression and builds.

nah, that is only true until kumoko gets out of the labyrinth. there have been exceedingly few stat sheets lately.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jackard posted:

How could I ever overcome my disgust of spiders enough to read this? Gross!

i dunno, maybe try reading a few chapters of the manga? they do a pretty good job of de-horrorfying a giant spider eating a bunch of weird bugs and animals.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shun's story was a bog standard reincarnation thing, where he was reborn into a royal family, was lavished with praise for his broken talents, gathered a stable of potential love interests and a rival, all while building up the future threat he had to face. it was all completely unrelated to why the world had a built-in rpg system or the reason the class died in the first place.

only, now we have learned that all of his drama was pointless and largely artificial. kumoko was off doing big important things that coincidentally completely wrecked shun's fancy new handsome prince hero life. everything that went wrong for shun was because of kumoko, and none of it was about him at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shun is unquestionably a better person than kumoko, but he can't do anything. being born as a human gave him too much of a disadvantage. while kumoko was struggling through the labyrinth he was a toddler. while kumoko was seizing godhood he was struggling with his old friend's new gender. while kumoko was plotting to save the world by killing half of its population he was in elementary school.

shun is a much kinder, well balanced person, but that means nothing when he lacks the knowledge and power to face the end of the world. if left to his own devices he would probably just kill ariel and congratulate himself on a job well done.

edit: poo poo, spoiler warning if you have only read the blastron chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neurophage posted:

Should I chech out Dungeon Defense? It's not in the OP, but people elsewhere seem to like it.

dungeon defense is quite good. the op isn't exactly a comprehensive list, and even then i think some of the stuff on there is unreadably bad even with my very, very low standards.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, that op recommended poo poo like shield hero.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yinlock posted:

seriously, we already have a person for that

e: also I like Shield Hero but can in no way defend it, I guess I was just charmed by the stronger early stuff until it devolved into power fantasy #45625

the light novel/manga seems to keep him on the backfoot a lot more though

i am the person for that. i posted in the random name change thread.

i recently read through the translated chapters of reincarnator. it was actually pretty good. so, it did the standard dude sends his mind back through time into his past self thing. however, it diverged from the usual route of having the protagonist be an rear end in a top hat for no reason who uses his future knowledge solely to enrich himself and pursue petty vendettas. the entire human population of earth got sent into a sequence of increasingly dangerous words where they gain rpg poo poo like stats and skills. however, they hosed everything up and spent most of their time infighting or being ineffectual in general until the real thing started and they had to deal with other sentient races who were vastly superior to even rpg-boosted humans. while a few exceptional individuals made it pretty far, humanity just plain lost in the end. so, the protagonist-style incredibly lucky guy, incredibly ruthless guy, and incredibly benevolent leader chick crammed in everything they knew to prepare him to go back and properly prepare humanity.

so this protagonist has to basically speed run the progressively higher ranked worlds while handling the major problems in each one that no one ever bothered with (mostly because said threats were big and scary and dealing with them would have taken time away from being super powered assholes). plus, he has to pretend not to be a dick because no one would trust or follow him if he got as murder-happy as he would prefer while still ganking particularly harmful individuals.

i think the premise and scenarios are way more interesting than the execution, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
world of cultivation is mostly unreadable due to an intentionally awful translation

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh my god, shield girl is completely nuts. http://www.novelupdates.com/series/itai-no-wa-iya-nanode-bogyo-ryoku-ni-kyokufuri-shitai-to-omoimasu/

a girl playing a vrmmo with a full defense build doesn't sound too special, right? but she eats everything alive, starting with a zombie dragon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you can tolerate that bullshit, good for you. it drives me nuts, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think it is a very good story, what with how it makes absolutely no sense. "ooh, yummy! a pile of rotting meat several times my size!" but it is strange enough for now to keep my interest.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
generally any stories with a perfectly normal modern setting plus a single unchallenged super powered protagonist always get creepy as gently caress

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, since when does meng hao have the memories of his previous incarnations?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

When we got all the backstory about his previous 7 year lives I just assumed that his mom and dad were also telling the story to Meng Hao so he knows about it all anyway.

yeah, that's how it has been until now. but now he remembers his first childhood for no apparent reason.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how pissed off he is about all of the random bullshit he got dragged into

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
skyfire avenue is incredibly pretentious. here is a hint: whenever it starts going on about how some luxury item is the most amazing thing to ever exist, try googling "most expensive <item name>". congratulations, you just put exactly the same amount of research in as the author.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
child of light by the same guy was kind of dull but mostly inoffensive, but then it started doing one tournament after another with the flimsiest of pretexts. making a protagonist who is good at running away and healing and then doing nothing but tournaments where those abilities are completely useless was a very strange decision. i guess that author just really, really likes tournaments.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no one should ever read horizon or anything else in the city series

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

He still releases free chapters regularly. The paywall is more for early access to translated chapters that come out weekly-ish. He's gone forward, I think, 6 sections in the paywall from where the free translations are.

it is still charging money for content they have no legal right to.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
popularity =/= quality obviously, but i guess i'll give tondemo a shot anyway

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goddamn it, godly hunter. why the heck did it go down that route?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a webnovel about trying to find glitches and exploits instead of getting the highest level, best gear and an adoring harem. but what do i know, i actually enjoyed shura's wrath before it became creepy as gently caress.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems like a less interesting a hero's war, and a hero's war isn't exactly riveting a lot of the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
also all of the chinese novels that have obvious rip off art make me lol.

like, kratos doesn't even resemble your mc so what are you doing man?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i started on emperor's domination recently, and it is more generic wuxia trash aside from two parts i really like. first, you know how in the worst wuxia wn's there is always a borderline omniscient guide character (usually an animal)? in ed, the protagonist is one of those only he already raised a shitload of absurd wuxia protagonists. second, everything about cultivation is hilarious gibberish. in one scene, alchemy is done by taking a naturally occurring cauldron that is also alive and using it as a blender with the cauldron's intrinsic flame as a blade. the cauldron is spun around by the "medicine treasure", which had never been mentioned before then and was never explained. then the guy had to jump inside the cauldron to bathe in the medicine so that he could grow a tiny metallic fist inside of his heart. this is a routine process that every cultivator has to do.

i can't help but love poo poo that ridiculous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think they even fall for him, necessarily. he promises them loads of amazing benefits and then when they figure out he can deliver they join up. but even once they come to respect or even revere him they still think he is a dick.

i still like the hilarious gibberish part more, though. so during a fight, he grabs mountains that are 1000 miles away. exactly how he does this is not explained. does he run over, stretch his arm, pull it over with his mind, etc? plus, you know, the mechanics of a normal sized human picking up a mountain to begin with. nah, it is just something that happens and is never elaborated on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DeafAsianQT posted:

I have a similar thing with meng hao summoning mountain ranges and hundreds of thousands of mountains. Are they miniature mountains or something?

nah, that's an actual magical technique. meng hao specifically learned how to do stuff with mountains. but in ed, the guy just casually grabbed mountains using his enormous weight which is somehow indistinguishable from strength. he hadn't even grown giant, since later in that fight he did just that. i think the author of ed is just very, very bad at describing fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

Nah, it's the translators being absolutely terrible at translating, plus doing a double translation from Chinese to Vietnamese to English. It reads fine in the original version, probably because it's more metaphorical about having the weight of mountains than literally having a mountain to throw around.

nah, he literally picked up a mountain and smacked a guy with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, when he was fighting the dude with the club.

unless the translator was making poo poo up there aren't a lot of ways to interpret "he grabbed a mountain and then smacked a dude with it until the mountain broke".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Avulsion posted:

One of the things I like about Desolate Era is how wonderfully absurd the scale is.

It's common for people to fight by transforming into 3000 meter tall six armed three headed giants. Half the cultivators running around in the early chapters use this ability, including the MC. At one point the MC has a series of fights where he doesn't have a good weapon, so he grows out his fingers (all 30 of them) to several kilometers in length and uses them as swords.

The MC is a reincarnator who keeps tripping over mountains of lost treasures and secret techniques left behind by ancient experts, but so does everyone else who lives long enough to reach his power level. He once competed in a tournament where 2 or 3 of the other semi-finalists had almost the exact same backstory as him.

At his current power level, the MC is carrying around several miniaturized planets that he can use to store his stuff or bludgeon his opponents to death. One of the things he stores on one of those planets is an army of several million Immortals who can assemble, Voltron style, into a Giant Fighting Robot Alien God. Again, this is relatively common in the setting, and he's just found out that his home galaxy is full of third rate scrubs who can't measure up to the real powerhouses in the universe.

i really like the idea of those gods who killed themselves so they could reincarnate repeatedly without regaining their memories until they trained in things their original skill set precluded.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, he was mostly lying but yeah, bragging about how amazing your backers are shortly before getting royally owned is rather common in issth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
once, when i wanted to check the protagonist of mga's name for some reason i clicked on a random chapter. in that chapter, the protagonist was gloating to some guy about how he had raped and murdered that guy's fiance.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read through the translated chapters of spirit realm and i kind of liked it. the mc actually makes friends and acts like a human instead of a vaguely human-shaped mass of greed and bloodlust. it isn't terribly clever or innovative, just a better than average example of the genre. of course, when i checked what else that author has written it seems like he normally specializes in the RAPE RAPE RAPE wuxia style.

unrelated, but seoul station's necromancer is dumb, trashy fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just say what the big twist is. you and i have very different tastes in garbage fiction and i'm not gonna read that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh. mushoku tensei did something similar too, though obviously this is not an endorsement for that piece of poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i miss my butt avatar. it made people so incredibly mad for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol some guy actually tried publishing his crossover fan fiction as a wn: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/shokugeki-no-imitation-chef/