Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

jwang posted:

While revisiting I Shall Seal the Heavens, I saw this gem of a review on Novelupdates:

god drat i miss that parrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Ok I read my first web novel, Reverend Insanity, out of boredom and it's actually not bad. I think the biggest part is that the author didn't gently caress with romance/harem crap and he actually did some planning before hand (after 1500 chapters so far events and characters in the past chapters are still actively involved in the current situation). I also like the clusterfuck feeling of the story. Never a dull moment with that Fang Yuan (biggest poo poo stirrer I've read lol). I wouldn't call it brain food, more like brain candy. But it's very entertaining.

Now my question is, is there any other web novels as entertaining as Reverend Insanity? From what I've read I think I lucked into the best one and the rest are way worse. I need something to pass this quarantine.

Stopped reading (generally) a while ago but fang yuan is almost unique in terms of MCs for me, its hard to not fall into the evil sociopath trap for any evil/amoral/transactional cultivator but he does really strike a balance where he both feels like an old monster and also isn't the biggest fish in the pond. So his traipsing around the land is highly entertaining. I'd be more specific in what you're looking for. Entertaining is very dependent on not only the authors story telling and imagination but the character in these web novels, it's a long rear end commitment and they basically affect the whole tone of he story.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Silynt posted:

Arrogant Young Master Template A Variation 4 is dumping 71(!) chapters on Royal Road as I post this, almost as many as had previously been available. This story hasn’t been updated in almost 2 years and I personally don’t really remember where it left off, but I remember enjoying its satirical take on cultivation. I’ll probably try to start over and see if it holds my attention up to the new content.

this one has succeed where numerous others have failed: in making me actually laugh

Chapter 37 posted:

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Yao Qing immediately assumed a defensive stance after hearing clapping from behind her. She calmly analyzed the situation while looking at the young man with yellow robes.

‘High cultivation, at least Core Formation. Unknown sect. Not affiliated with Silent Silhouette.’

She hadn’t set foot on this world for… She didn’t know how long actually. It was only natural to forget the sects that inhabited it. She only remembered the Silent Silhouette because of her intense hatred.

“Not bad! Your spear skill really isn’t bad!”

Yao Qing kept her vigilance as the young man talked. Apparently, this amused him, he smiled and continued talking in a relaxed manner.

“You don’t have to be so stiff. If I wanted to, I could kill you with a flick of a sleeve. I don’t have an ulterior motive. I just saw your spear practice and thought I’d say hello. I know a little bit about spears myself. Since we met here, it must be fate! How about I show you some moves to improve your skills.”

The man looked at his storage ring. Just this act alone was enough to prove that he wasn’t from the Misty Mountains. No one would flaunt their wealth like this in the mountains. The poorness of the Iron Blood sect was a daily source of shock for Yao Qing. Just how poor could a sect be?

After looking for a while the young man seemed frozen. He slightly shook his head then cleared his throat.

“Ehm. I consider myself a sword cultivator. I don’t play with spears often so it seems I forgot to bring a spear with me. Why don’t you let me borrow that training spear.”

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
jesus s*aves

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

nrook posted:

at least Er Gen likes the MC's fat friend!

I remember this line even years later lol

Been reading beyond teh timescape and er gen really is the grandmaster at the genre, he can just play straight cliche to expectation and subvert it all at the same time. only person capable of writing a joke