Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

nielsm posted:

Just a thought I had in the shower, but is "reverse isekai" a thing? E.g. a wizard accidentally himself to modern Japan, doesn't remember how, and is now missing most of the reagents and books he needs to do his wizard things.

I remember a one shot by the Hinamatsuri guy being kind of in that vein.

The Life of Mitamura Sakurako (Alias)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So I read through Forge of Destiny. Seems like I picked a good time since the first year/arc has wrapped up. Good stuff. But one thing I noticed that I haven't seen mentioned is that all of the other character gen choices ended up as side characters in the story.

Ji Rong is the Prisoner, Li Suyin is the Scholar, Han Jian is the High Noble, Fatty Hao seems to be the Artisan but I'm not sure about the Soldier, maybe Chu Song?

Anyway their blurbs give a little extra insight. For instance The Prisoner contains the bit "Significant enemy from the get go." And storywise this is represented by Ji Rong having killed a member of the Huang family who was preying on street mortals. I think that's mostly the reason Ji Rong ended up on the other side of the divide. Even if no one actually likes him, Huang Da is still on the council and represents everything bad about nobles to him.

I will add that this was prompted by me watching Thunderbolt Fantasy and craving some silly Sevenpath Holy Dragon Sword Destruction Technique action. If you have not already, go check out some Taiwanese puppets doing kungfu.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870313

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 8, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So I've started reading Cultivation Chat Group.

The translation is a bit stilted and there are obviously some cultural differences that work their way in, but the inherent humor of a dude cooking up mystical bullshit medicine on his dorm room hotplate is enough to cover it so far.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I was rereading some of Forge of Destiny and I'm pretty sure I caught something mildly interesting.

Ling wanted to do something nice for Bai so she asks Cui for ideas. Cui thinks about it and responds with a piece of jewelry she recalls Bai seemed interested in. When Ling brings this up Bai takes a minute to figure it out what's she's talking about and then get's weirdly embarrassed and tells her she has no interest in the necklace.

I now posit that Bai is a thirsty thirsty girl and Cui misinterpreted why Bai's attention kept coming back to that girl's chest.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
"these medicines are extremely good drugs"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's just a fad that book titles go through sometimes

These are two real english language novels

The Spectres, Or, Lord Oswald And Lady Rosa, Including An Account Of The Marchioness Of Cevetti Who Was Basely Consigned To A Dungeon Beneath Her Castle By Her Eldest Son, Whose Cruel Avarice Plunged Him Into The Commission Of The Worst Of Crimes, That Stains The Annals Of The Human Race

Argal; Or The Silver Devil, Being The Adventures Of An Evil Spirit, Comprising A Series Of Interesting Anecdotes, With Which The Demon Became Acquainted, During His Confinement In The Metalline Substance To Which He Was Condemned. Related By Himself.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There's a bit in Nobunaga No Chef where he blows some lord and his chef's mind with the way he cooks. According to the manga, at the time the tenets of Japanese cuisine held that there were only three ways of cooking, roasting, boiling and steaming. So of course he pan frys, bakes au gratin, and prepares sashimi. Knowledge of this hidebound attitude might be making its way in to their stories, or they could just be poo poo writers.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't know how this keeps happening!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Almost all the really broken stuff in Elder Scrolls games involves abusing Alchemy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

So are orcs white people in drifters?

Two enigmatic beings pluck historical figures from our world and dump them in fantasy land in order to affect the balance of a war.

One side pulls people out just before they died and they mostly stay the same.

The other pulls people out after they have died and they come out warped and get magic powers. Joan of Arc is a little less stable after being burned at the stake and then given pyrokinesis.

Jesus, after being crucified, believes that humans rejected him and are no longer worthy of salvation. He's trying to set up an eternal monster kingdom of god.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
In Threads of Destiny news, Ling has successfully crawled the dungeon and found a dead elder's sexnasium.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think I dropped it when the intelligent monster Pekinese kills a German Shepherd while the MC and the racist Gweilo caricature just stand around while their dogs fight to the death. Just too much weird cultural dissonance for me.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

atelier morgan posted:

i love that book and think every american should read it but its also probably the worst written thing twain ever put out, so good might be a stretch

The bit on Royal Cats is good.

Mark Twain posted:

Clarence was with me as concerned the revolution, but in a modified way. His idea was a republic, without privileged orders, but with a hereditary royal family at the head of it instead of an elective chief magistrate. He believed that no nation that had ever known the joy of worshiping a royal family could ever be robbed of it and not fade away and die of melancholy. I urged that kings were dangerous. He said, then have cats. He was sure that a royal family of cats would answer every purpose. They would be as useful as any other royal family, they would know as much, they would have the same virtues and the same treacheries, the same disposition to get up shindies with other royal cats, they would be laughably vain and absurd and never know it, they would be wholly inexpensive; finally, they would have as sound a divine right as any other royal house, and "Tom VII., or Tom XI., or Tom XIV. by the grace of God King," would sound as well as it would when applied to the ordinary royal tomcat with tights on. "And as a rule," said he, in his neat modern English, "the character of these cats would be considerably above the character of the average king, and this would be an immense moral advantage to the nation, for the reason that a nation always models its morals after its monarch's. The worship of royalty being founded in unreason, these graceful and harmless cats would easily become as sacred as any other royalties, and indeed more so, because it would presently be noticed that they hanged nobody, beheaded nobody, imprisoned nobody, inflicted no cruelties or injustices of any sort, and so must be worthy of a deeper love and reverence than the customary human king, and would certainly get it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Its Rinaldo posted:

Gan Flexington is the soldier.

Disagree. His origin is too wrapped up in Cai's for there to be much of a choice. I think it's Chu Song.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I fell off once his split personality/possession thing took over. Just felt viscerally uncomfortable with him and how the harem thing was progressing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Sunglasses existed in China as early as the 12th century.

Wikipedia says they were used by Judges to hide their expressions during court which was a cool wrinkle I did no know.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Megazver posted:

Also, both MCs in Vainqueur the Dragon, I suppose, if you count 'being a very stereotypical D&D dragon' as 'evil powers'.

I was a little disappointed here, because I wanted more "How the hell am I supposed to run a kingdom when my boss thinks taxes are an abomination and no coin that enters the treasury can ever leave?" and less standard webnovel power creep fights.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 15, 2019