Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Pewdiepie posted:

I think that if you read these web novels and you're an adult, you should take a step back and critically re-evaluate the life choices that led you down this path.

I think you should chill the hell out Jake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I like the spider LN because the author knows that the thing people reading these novels care about isnt plot, or characterization, or setting, or anything like that, what matters is skill progression and builds.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, since when does meng hao have the memories of his previous incarnations?

When we got all the backstory about his previous 7 year lives I just assumed that his mom and dad were also telling the story to Meng Hao so he knows about it all anyway.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If anyones taking a break from ISSTH: Meng Hao just met someone named Greed and then began acting so shamelessly it made Greeds scalp go numb and start to think Meng Hao should be the one named Greed.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The first half of ISSTH is so good and i really hope that A Will Eternal doesnt devlolve into nonstop high powered fights too

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Law Cheetah posted:

theres some kinda drama going on in the web novel translating scene right now. translators are leaving the gravitytales site en masse and moving their series over to wuxiaworld or other sites. the readers are all like "whats going on?" and everyone directly involved are being super vague and shifty-eyed. theres some juicy gossip in the offing

Im assuming wuxiaworld is going to be the foundation for official english language releases from Qidian

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Terror Infinity is so incredibly dumb, I dont know why Im reading it but Ill probably make it through a few movies before I get bored.

"“I was overjoyed when I saw the enhancement items. Like the genetic mutation of Spider-Man. The description said it lets you obtain the bloodline of Spider-Man; increasing intelligence by 20, mental capacity by 20, cell vitality by 50, reaction speed by 100, muscle density by 100, and immunization by 150 points. And you also get the web shooter ability. All this for just 2000 points.”

The bloodline legacy of Spiderman!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

It takes a lot of work to formalize that stuff. And you have to remind the reader constantly of whats available and what the characters have, the spidergirl novel has that problem. Half the word count of spidergirl has to be repeating the stat block over and over again to show minor changes.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rub a Dub Dub, Thanks for the Grub

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Avulsion posted:

Why bother translating something if you're going to leave half of it in Japanese.

Rub a Dub Dub, dakimasu

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jackard posted:

I figure you just go with something like senior/junior when on its own, or not at all when tacked on the end of a name (because repeating it isn't that important once the relationship is established)

Yea, that works 90% of the time but I dont know how you avoid translation notes when the story needs to make a point of the specifics of junior/senior relationship between the characters. Its just not a relationship that exists in any great capacity anymore in the west, especially now that apprenticeships are all but dead.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

That actually brings to mind a question - in American high schools you often end up with classes being taken by people from multiple grade levels, particularly during junior/senior year. Are Japanese high schools similar to this (in the sense that you can choose from a variety of optional courses outside of your graduation requirements and change the order in which you take courses sometimes), or is it more structured in the sense that all the people in your classes will be from the same grade as you?

Everyone hangs out in the same classroom and the teachers move between classes instead of it being the other way around like in american HS. I think club activities and downtime like lunch would be the biggest time you socialize with people outside of your classroom

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meme Emulator posted:

Terror Infinity is so incredibly dumb, I dont know why Im reading it but Ill probably make it through a few movies before I get bored.

"“I was overjoyed when I saw the enhancement items. Like the genetic mutation of Spider-Man. The description said it lets you obtain the bloodline of Spider-Man; increasing intelligence by 20, mental capacity by 20, cell vitality by 50, reaction speed by 100, muscle density by 100, and immunization by 150 points. And you also get the web shooter ability. All this for just 2000 points.”

The bloodline legacy of Spiderman!

Update: I stopped at The Mummy and by the time I got bored I really had the feeling I could have written a better novel with the same premise and im am ametuer who has communication problems when talking to people IRL. I keep thinking about it. I could definately pull off this premise better

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The Lord of Hats posted:

I fell off of ISSTH around something something Sea God World. Is it worth picking back up, or has it just been power level wankfests? (Pill-making wankfests are acceptable)

No, its all battle all the time now. Ive dropped it, Ill blast through books 8-10 in a weekend once theyre all done.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

For as crummy as I thought the last half of ISSTH became the last book wrapped up really nicely. Now to wait for AWE to start in earnest

Im a really big sucker for a long denoument that visits all the characters.

Chen Fan really hosed up. IDK why but his betrayal hit me even though he was sort of a nonentity after book 1

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

A little off topic but does anyone know what the HELL is up with this translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms that I found online?

http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader.php/93594/Guanzhong_-_Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms_%28vol._1%29.html#label69

"We three--Jeffery-Lewis, Yale-Perez, and Floyd-Chardin--though of different families, swear brotherhood, and promise mutual help to one end. We will rescue each other in difficulty; we will aid each other in danger. We swear to serve the state and save the people. We ask not the same day of birth, but we seek to die together. "

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lurksion posted:

Pretty sure that's a joke (though with notable effort put in, its not a straight up replace-all), with the original text from this translation:
https://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdoms-Historical-Novel-Part/dp/0520224787

Not sure why someone decided that joke was worth the effort, but w/e

Maybe just to own people like me who were looking for a copy of the text online

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

"Overpowered protagonist" tag makes this seem rather unappealing.

Well hes a D&D wizard so its impossible for him not to be overpowered

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bai Xiaochun is back baby

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/awe-index/awe-chapter-69/

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I love Doggos! Giving Goodboys puppers rubrubs from the Underworld (contains Light Slavery)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Law Cheetah posted:

i was curious about this so i looked it up.

the latest chapter of way of choices is 2199 words. according to google a typical rate charged by a translator going from english to chinese would be around $0.10 per word. some are lower and some are higher. so in order to translate the latest chapter of way of choices into chinese it would cost $219.90

obviously, we're not changing from english to chinese but the other way around. but assuming things are roughly commensurate both ways you couldnt hire a professional translator for 150

thank you for reading

Could I just flick dimes at people and get them to read chinese signs for me

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Deathblades A Will Eternal translation has just gotten to the point that the old one dropped off at, the foundation establishment trial by fire

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/awe-index/awe-chapter-140/

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ytlaya posted:

But I genuinely don't understand the appeal of these stories where the protagonist never faces a real challenge and the love interests are all infantilized stereotypes. That isn't fun or interesting, and I don't think I would have liked that sort of thing even when I was a teenager.

People want to do things effortlessly and have everything handed to them without trying. I dont think its that shocking, it just manifests in some gross ways sometimes

quote:

All this being said, like I think I've mentioned before I actually do find the popularity of this stuff sorta morbidly fascinating. Like, it's interesting to try and put myself in the head of someone who reads and enjoys hundreds of chapters of stuff like this.

Yea Im the same way. I never got around to it but Ive wanted to read a Gor book for a while just to get a taste. Cant stop staring at trainwrecks, but I guess thats why Im on this site.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

alchemy shenanigans have begun again in a will eternal.

Bai Xiaochun is concocting pills :blessed:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Its happening!!!!!!

“It worked!” he said, laughing out loud. The sight of the enormous blood sword filled him with excitement, and convinced him that his months of hard work were worth it.

“I, Bai Xiaochun–” He instantly closed his mouth. Slowly turning his head, his eyes went wide as he looked at something in the corner of the immortal’s cave.

Then, he began to sweat.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Read a Will Eternal, and post about it with us!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Myriad Truths posted:

I wanted to thank those who suggested I start with A Will Eternal when getting into Xianxia stories. I enjoyed the comedy a lot. The stuff about him crushing people's throats less so, but the good definitely outweighed the bad. I think I would have been very lost by the whole notion of cultivation if I had started somewhere else. It seems like it's strongly based in these religion/philosophies that I have very little knowledge of, but I at least have a vague understanding of what they mean now. (I honestly thought, just by skimming the thread prior to reading it, that you guys were talking about some story involving growing plants). In some ways it's like the RPG mechanics of Japanese LNs in the extent that it pervades the medium.

I didnt even mind the throat crushing when he was outmatched in the Luochen Clan but I really felt like (Foundation Establishment Trial By Fire)BXC slaughtering all the Qi Condensation disciples when he was on another level was a bad look. Cmon dude!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im F5ing because Bai Xiaochun just revealed himself as the climax to the previous chapter, this is the moment ive been waiting for for the past 100 chapters

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

AWE Chapter 280

Shangguan Tianyou had been laughing coldly as he waited in anticipation for Bai Xiaochun to be killed. But now, his eyes were on the verge of popping out of his skull. As he panted, his mind devolved into a complete blank.

lmao, this is exactly what I wanted.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Reincarnated into Ultima Online, can you kill Lord British?

e: I cannot remember what manga it was from but I remember at the end of some chapter the author put in one of those little asides about how they used to enjoy playing Ultima Online and would walk around handing out free wood with a sign that said "Wood For You", does anyone know wtf Im talking about?

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 15, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tamba posted:

They just announced a release date for volume 11 of Log Horizon (March 20th).
While the author continued writing the web novel (which is up to volume 14 now), this will be the first book release since the tax evasion stuff a few years ago.

From what I know about Log Horizon the tax evasion in your quote could either be the author getting in trouble or a plot point in the story.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Shanakin posted:

Regardless, Chinese stories, even with good translations still have a very distinct writing style, just as Japanese stories normally do. Translators really have to go the extra mile to make it sound natural in English (which is one reason why dubs can sound weird/wrong - people often just don't speak or phrase things like that).

It can't be helped.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Enjoying something because libs got triggered (or conservatives in this case, but it seems like conservatives are the ones reveling in it so much that 'lib triggering' is my go to phrase) is a dark path that ends with you humiliating yourself by wearing diapers on a college campus.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

uh, wrong thread i think?

I dont know how I managed to do that

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Sindai posted:

Speaking of oddly specific likes and dislikes, in Against the Gods the protagonist has, for the third time, been trapped with an extremely beautiful and much more powerful woman who's dying and can only be saved by having sex with him.

It keeps happening!!!!

Its probably better for the genre as a whole if main characters are weirdly celibate even around their wife like Meng Hao was.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If youre translating these things as a hobby then I think you have every obligation to translate into English as closely to the original as possible. I want to know what the original text says, and Im sure the author doesnt appreciate thier works being changed willy nilly by some random dude on the internet.

Unless you have some sort of open line of communication with the author and can run any potential changes by them then dont change anything. Period. If the source material is going to be unpalatable to western sensibilities then just dont take the drat project on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

If your translating as a hobby you can do whatever you loving want as who gives a poo poo it’s your hobby. You have an obligation to literally no one, especially entitled weebs.

You absolutely have an obligation to the original author. If you just wanna make poo poo up out of whole cloth then youre being an rear end in a top hat.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

You have an obligation to no one. If it makes you mad, don’t read it.

Though no one said anything about adding poo poo, that’s just fanfic.

Well, adding things, cutting things, rearranging things, muting elements that might be unpalatable to different cultures. Its all the same sin. I think even the 'Norway!' jokes in the Hinamatsuri translations are a little disrespectful and thats as minor as you can get.

And I wont read it! I said as much in my previous post, if youre gonna gently caress with the text then just dont translate it at all. Thats not really a position of entitlement on my part, since it would still deprive me of a readable English text.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

See you don’t get to decide that, I mean you already accept what I assume some random dude translating some other dudes poo poo without his Imput or compensation. So I don’t really care about your arbitrary line in the sand. If he was presenting this as the original work it would be one thing but he doesn’t.

It’s a hobby that brought him joy, so it served its purpose. Stop being so selfish.

Youre absolutely right I dont get to decide it, but I do get to decide that thier efforts are not up to my standards and that I dont like that particular translation effort that much. I dont know where youre getting this idea that I cannot deign to live under the same sky as a poor translator. I just think its crummy.

My line in the sand is make the words in one language say the same thing as the words in another language. And if you dont do that Im gonna look down on you a lil. Like, the stakes are really minor here because most people arent gonna care what dumb ol Meme Emulator thinks about their translation efforts.

Like, I dont even have a lot of respect for things like copyright and author ownership and the complicated legal side of things. My whole argument is just if youre gonna handle someone elses work, at least have the decency to not change it on your own whims. And if youre not gonna do that, I might say a slightly mean thing about you on an internet forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

Changing languages and cultures means something is going to be lost so if you consume any foreign media you are going to lose something in translation. You have to accept that changes are gonna be made or you are just gonna drive yourself crazy looking for a pure translation that doesn’t exist.

My contention was more about removing or changing things than the intricacies of translation. Of course its a necessity to shimmy things around a little bit in order to get a conversation to flow in English. If a character is making three points: We need to travel to destination X, We need to get the MacGuffin, and women are genetically predisposed to be subservient to men, then I expect those three things to show up in the translated text no matter how nasty the third thing is.

quote:

Also you literally said he shouldn’t bother if he isn’t going to do it the way you want. Which granted is just your opinion but I am just trying to point out how self absorbed your opinion is, as you don’t seem to see any perspective but your own.

I mean, cmon, an opinion is always going to be self absorbed. If you have a problem with Chinese nationalism and the project you are working on has Chinese nationalism all throughout it your options are to edit the text or to work on something else. I just respect one of those options a lot more than the other.