Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Avulsion posted:

That sucks, I don't know where else it might be but she saves the world with potatoes.

edit: Found an epub with the missing parts of chapter 34, but I'm still looking for the epilogue. http://www.mediafire.com/file/a0yavk12zded9hp/The+Girl+Who+Ate+Death.epub

edit 2: Found another missing chapter (but not the last) password is "stnarofedamtnuocca" https://qianweijia.wordpress.com/qwerty/

edit 3: Since I can't find the epilogue, here's what I remember: After the rebels overthrow the kingdom, Schera kills Diener, the rebel spymaster. The new queen can't run things without him, and her dynasty falls apart. The new rebel controlled kingdom slowly turns to poo poo. Decades later they become enemies with the Star Church, which launches a crusade to overthrow the new kingdom. Schera shows up leading the Star Church army, kills everyone left on her poo poo list (and their decendents) then retires from the army to grow potatoes. Eventually she comes up with a disease resistant breed of potatoes that can grow anywhere and don't taste like poo poo, preventing famines, civil unrest, and many wars. In the end she goes back to being a farmer and probably manages to save more people than she ever killed

I did not know there were more chapters. I thought the story ended[spoiler] with her dying from poison arrows and the rebels conquering the kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

brainwrinkle posted:

I read 14 chapters of Release That Witch. It's extremely boring because all conflict and challenge have been surgically removed from the setting. The conflict between modern values and life in his new setting would be interesting, but the author totally undercuts it. All of the minor characters are cool doing stuff that should get them killed by the Inquisition. The MC demonstrates no skill at persuading people but succeeds regardless.

Almost as if the author is some shut in nerd lacking social skills.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I read it. It is legitimately funny. I actually didn't enjoy reading Harry Potter (the actual books), but oddly enough, I loved this fan fiction.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I am in another world! Wow! Surely my social awkwardness /aspergers / elementary education will turn me into a hero / harem king! I definitely won't be a lazy shut in like my old life!

After reading the GBS China thread, I can't tell if the Chinese light novels are also mostly written by horrible shut ins, or if the selfish dumb protagonists are just standard mainland China values.

In good light novel news, I decided to check in on the best spider story again. God drat, spider girl got strong!

Bastron I love your translations. Both of them.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I recommend the English web novel Savage Divinity. Magic low tech Chinese kung-fu setting with a good reincarnated protagonist. One of the latest chapters had the MC lamenting why the gently caress he didn't read some physics text or something useful. In the MC 's defense, he lost most of his memories after reincarnation.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ytlaya posted:

I think in the case of pretty much all Japanese/Chinese/Korean web novels, it's less "the values of Chinese/Japanese/Korean people" and more "the values of teenage boys", at least with respect to the whole "loser ends up becoming a badass with a harem" element.

That being said, there probably is an interesting discussion to be had on the differences between the tropes that do exist.

"I'm Really a Superstar" is the story of a man transported to a world with a slightly different history, so he used his amazing powers to plagiarize his old world's works to gain fame in his new world. It is a Chinese Web novel.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

golden bubble posted:

Since it appears non-anime time travel is now a part of this thread, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis isn't bad.

As for actual light novels, well

Of course the author of Watamote would have such an opinion.

What is this from?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Autonomous Monster posted:

Anyway! I'm up to date with Honzuki now (Maine actually turns it around in chapter 24. I have never self-owned so hard in my life :cripes:), and it's all good, but now I have a new problem. Maine seems to be really concerned about charging a fair price to the customer... but also perfectly content to bilk her craftmen- her own family. Girl, your priorities are exactly backwards.

Given how strong her family and Lutz's family reacted to that money, they will rip her apart if she pays them more.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Bakanogami posted:

Boy this discussion about Maine's ethics will get heated up when the translations get up to part two when she starts exploiting child labor in sweatshops while basically only paying room and board. There's even a spot where she's like "Boy, this would be terrible on earth, good thing labor rights suck here!"

The only thing Maine loves as much as books is exploiting the proletariat! :capitalism:

Let me guess, she starts an daycare and puts those brats to work.

Edit: OK, posted my guess right after someone explains the details.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ytlaya posted:

These quick Re:Zero translations are moer competent than I expected, but are sometimes pretty hilarious and end up with things like tihs:

"Subaru subarus around"

This is a good translation.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Desuwa posted:

I have one WN that I've been reading for a while that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Akuyaku Reijo Ni Koi Wo Shite. I think it's held up pretty well so far. A man gets reincarnated as a slums child and ends up serving as the butler to a pair of noble siblings. It's a game world, but it's not a game he was familiar with so he doesn't realize it until later, and those noble children end up being the designated petty villains that get taken out by the protagonist before dealing with the demon lord. It doesn't have levels or stats and actually does something with the idea of being a character in a game with a pre-determined plot. I find it changes things up enough to avoid getting stale and there are some significant events with real consequences.

This is a fun read. It feels like the story is really building up to a grand finally, like Count of Monte Cristo Japanese web novel style.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

darkgray posted:

I'd completely missed there was already a trailer for the January anime of Death March:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NzZvYIyb0c

Sure looks, uh, pretty. Oh yes.

(yes, Rie Takahashi is in the cast)

I finally decided to check out Death March even though it looks like something I would not enjoy at all. The story begins with the main character, an extremely plain Japanese boy, committing genocide by accident for no reason. This genocide does not lead to introspection or any character development. It is just an excuse by the author for leveling the character up to OP status. I assume it just gets worse from there.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I am enjoying Release That Witch. It is a Chinese web novel, but the protagonist is not a sociopath and the plot doesn't revolve around a series of face contests. It is easy to forget it is a Chinese web novel, until the latest chapter (646), the hot pot chapter.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 8, 2018

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Bakanogami posted:

https://imgur.com/a/2aMVUqC

Hey, someone finally made a thing about the killer truck driver.

LOL. That was pretty good. I like the potential hero selection.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

jwang posted:

Cultivation Chat Group is like the 1% of the Xianxia genre, so it's in its own category. I'm talking about the general murder-hobo stories, where the go-to resolution to any problem is the kill the poo poo out of anyone that looks at you cross-eyed.

I read a hobo murder story called Reverend Insanity. It's like xianxia but with pokemon too. The protagonist pursues the unabashedly evil demonic path and recognizes that he is 100% evil. It was kind of refreshing. No thin justifications for murder or pining about being moral and right for robbin' and murderin'. Just murder hobo doing what a murder hobo does best. Protagonist muscle wizard travels back 500 years in time to his childhood and get's a second chance in life. He uses this chance to nab treasures before anyone else and screw over everyone. In the later chapters, he takes two children hostage, who have done nothing to him ever, and kicks them into a fire to burn alive so he can get a super rare xianxia pokemon.

edit: It's baaaaaaaad. But I kind of like dude just being straight up "Yes I am evil."

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 18, 2018

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

BadMedic posted:

I decided to calculate how much stuff costs at webnovel.com, and I'd like to start off by telling bullshit microtransaction currencies to gently caress off for forcing me to use a spreadsheet to calculate how much poo poo actually costs.

So, to start off:
  • webnovel.com uses spirit stones as their internet funbucks.
  • Depending on how many you buy at once, you get 50 to 65 stones per USD.
  • You get ~20 spirit stones per day for using the site.
  • Paywalled chapters costs 10 spirit stones on average.
  • Novels tend to release 2 chapters a day, or 12-14 chapters a week.*

Putting that all together, you basically get to read 1 novel for free, and have to pay for every novel after that. Assuming you buy spirit stones in the largest amounts possible, it costs at minimum $8 per novel per month, or $96 per novel per year to keep up, not including periodic mass releases.

That just seems insane to me, paying nearly the cost of netflix to read a single webnovel.

*I didn't bother collecting much data, I just based it on the 3 novels I follow.

LOL just sign up with a temporary email address, like temp-mail.org. They give you ~70 spirit stones when you sign up. On PC the new reader gift shows up as a little present box in the bottom right corner. Click on it to collect spirit stones and read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Tunicate posted:

isekai transporter finally got chapter 5 translated

https://mangadex.org/chapter/560582/1

"Can you drift?" Oh jeezus. This is a great manga.