Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It's bad enough when it's a side thing that occurs in a story look I made INSERT JAPANESE DISH in fantasy world and everyone instantly loved it.

At least it's normally bearable when it's I use my knowledge of technology to enlighten the world even if 99/100 the author has 0 understanding of what it would take to make said technology in that society.

But those and the different kinds of paper making were the best part of Ascendance of a Bookworm. That stuff happens way less in chapter 2 and the plot lines that took its place are way worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

blastron posted:

Yeah, one of my least-favorite things about Bookworm (aside from the pacing) is that some of the inventions that Maïne throws out are so obvious to the reader that it’s hard to believe that nobody’s thought of it before. Like seriously, the civilization has beer, but they don’t culture yeast for bread? How has nobody thought about writing in wax, which was something the ancient Romans did? Why hasn’t anyone tried eating the chicken feed that can apparently be easily processed into pancakes?

I can buy inventing paper, the printing press, and the little luxury things like crocheted flowers and decent clothes hangers, since those are all things that would require someone actually inventing and popularizing, but things like steaming food instead of boiling it are so obvious to the readers that it’s almost frustrating to see her always succeed at introducing new things.

Steaming food seems non-obvious to me since I never do it, but Wikipedia thinks it was invented about 5,000 years ago so yeah, steaming food could have been a thing. A slightly deeper look at Wikipedia makes virtually no mention of steaming food from Western cultures aside from puddings and as far as I know it wasn't a way pre-Roman Greeks prepared food at all. Since Bookworm takes place in a vaguely western culture, are there any examples of non-modern Western recipes that called for steaming?

I agree about most of the other stuff though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Furious Lobster posted:

Wikipedia mentions that the second earliest example of steam cooking is found in Italy during the Bronze Age; did you miss the history section?

Thanks! I skipped to the next section after reading the first sentence about Japan stone age steaming. I'll have to ask the roman history thread for more info if I ever catch up.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I've been reading through the Grimgar volumes I got and they continue to be good. Grimgar kinda feels like what I wish other isekai were like, in the same way Forge of Destiny is what I wish other cultivation stories were like. It consistently stays grounded and the thoughts of the protagonist and other characters are pretty interesting/realistic. One kind of minor thing that stood out was this part from Shihoru's perspective where she mentioned mentally thinking about men as being either "people she'd be willing to date" or "people she wouldn't"; normally it is extremely uncommon for women in these stories to express any sort of attraction to the opposite sex that isn't centered around the protagonist. Another kind of atypical thing is that the series is willing to kill off some pretty unexpected characters. The character who dies in the animated adaptation wasn't that unexpected, but recently in the LNs the character who the protagonist apparently knew from his time on Earth died, which was genuinely unexpected, since she felt like a plot device waiting to be used.

It's kind of funny how a lot of the named skills/techniques they learn are just normal martial arts which they have to practice like normal people, but it leads to a good sense of "growth" that doesn't feel ridiculous and unearned like in a lot of other WNs/LNs. The protagonist doesn't magically gain the ability to cut down strong enemies in single combat, but he (and his party) gain a wider variety of techniques to use in their encounters.

Do you have a link to Grimgar? Sounds interesting.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Argas posted:

Well Grimgar is licensed so.

My bad.

Megazver posted:

So, Reincarnation of the Sword Blabla turns from slightly annoying to read at times when you're binging to insufferable when you're stuck with chapters and chapters of dorks using their special abilities.

The Cultivation Group Chat, on the other hand, which I've also caught up to, is still rather lovely even dosed at two chapters a day.

Another web novel that I've enjoyed recently is My House of Horrors.

It's reminds me a little of the Blackwell adventure game series, if there was a litrpg System involved and the ghosts were more j-horror. So this young guy is running a failing haunted house attraction in an about-to-be-closed theme park, right? His parents used to be the ones in charge, but they disappeared a while back, after not returning from what, our hero realizes in retrospect, must have been a paranormal investigation, one of many that they must have embarked upon and the only clues they left behind were a strange doll and a smartphone that he's never seen before.

Well, the smartphone has a weird app installed on it and the app starts giving him missions related to local hauntings and major league creepypasta poo poo and he realizes, holy crap, ghosts are real, this poo poo is probably why his parents disappeared and he seems to be the only one around even remotely equipped to deal with it. Oh and as he deals with the hauntings the app rewards him by magically expanding and upgrading his haunted house and even binding some of the ghosts he's helped into his service in the house. So financially, things start to turn around, especially after he streams a couple of his investigations online, but his life gets a lot more complicated.

The novel is pretty good. The hero's a nice dude whose main flaws are him being, cough, a little too competitive when people impugn his haunted house's scariness and, perhaps, a certain lack of introspection in regards to the implications of the mess that he got into. The story is written fairly well, perhaps not as well as CGC, but it's a solid read and the translation seems decent as well. It can be pretty creeptastic at times, but our hero is somewhat empowered and proactive and this is a serial, so we know he's probably going to survive poo poo, so I'd classify this more as a story on the scarier end of the urban fantasy rather than horror. I am a big scaredy cat myself and reading this is within my fairly low tolerance limits.

A downside I need to mention is that, well, it went premium hours ago when I was considering writing this post. Oh well. I think most of you know what to do about it. Apparently this story is in Top 5 of stories on the Chinese version of the site right now, so I guess it makes sense.

Thank you for suggesting My House of Horrors. I've been enjoying it a lot. Very novel take.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Caught up with My House of Horrors. It's still going strong almost 300 chapters in, although I think the writer maybe set up too many baddies in the current plotline to keep the pacing as snappy as the earlier story arcs.

Ytlaya posted:

Like Argas said, it's licensed; I've been reading the actual volumes (of which there was a lot translated; it was a really pleasant surprise, since I've been ignoring the series ever since it was licensed and the online translations stopped around the 4th volume, and then suddenly I notice that it's translated through like the 11th or 12th volume). I imagine the Kindle versions aren't that expensive.

Your phrasing implies you may not have heard of the anime, though? There was an anime adaptation of the first volume a few years back (or was it the first two volumes? I think it only covered the first) that was pretty good and is probably a good way to check the series out.

I had not heard of the anime, thank you. Looks like its on Hulu so I'll give it a try.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Like Argas said, it's licensed; I've been reading the actual volumes (of which there was a lot translated; it was a really pleasant surprise, since I've been ignoring the series ever since it was licensed and the online translations stopped around the 4th volume, and then suddenly I notice that it's translated through like the 11th or 12th volume). I imagine the Kindle versions aren't that expensive.

Your phrasing implies you may not have heard of the anime, though? There was an anime adaptation of the first volume a few years back (or was it the first two volumes? I think it only covered the first) that was pretty good and is probably a good way to check the series out.

Watched the first 5 episodes of the anime on Hulu this weekend. Both my wife and I are enjoying it. I have to agree with everyone else that Ranta is objectively a bad person. To be fair, the anime makes this super obvious with Ranta spending a lot of his time talking about how bad he is. My wife made an interesting point that the anime seems to be more focused on the interpersonal relationships than the fighting or world building. Even the art style for the characters is different from that of the backgrounds. Is that true of the manga as well?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I've been reading Forge of Destiny and its not bad, but it assumes you're already familiar with cultivation tropes. I've never read any cultivation stories, so I'm not, and while I can kind of follow along I feel like I'm missing something. Any suggestions for an entry-level cultivation web novel?

Silynt posted:

I know that I’ve been posting a lot lately about Cradle series, considering that it isn’t even technically a webnovel, so I promise this will be the last one out of me for a while. With Book 6 of the series, Underlord, currently on pre-order for March 1 release it is a great opportunity for people who don’t read the series to catch up. Apparently the author agrees with me, because he is offering the collection of the first 3 novels, Foundation, on sale for $2.99 for the next 5 days (usual price $9.99, separately purchased price $15). Jump in while it’s cheap!

The idea of the series is that the author, Will Wight, has taken the core concepts of a xianxia world (martial arts based magic, meditating to advance your power, a power scale with incredible verticality) and made a believable world out of it. The magic system is very well defined, like he took a xianxia power system and made it almost Sandersonian. The writing isn’t exactly Faulkner, but it is miles ahead of most serialized trash, especially most serialized trash that also needs to get translated. The series avoids a lot of the tropes which bring down xianxia stories - the protagonist isn’t a super genius, the female characters are great and not mindless slaves of the hero, the advancement (for the most part) feels earned. Thanks to the series being written in novels instead of chapters, you don’t get the same word/chapter bloat that you get in typical xianxia stories.

Give it a shot!

I read the free sample and it is really good! $3 for 3 books is also a pretty good deal. Picked it up and looking forward to reading them later.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I finally picked up those Cradle books and am 38% through Unsouled according to my Kindle. loling at Lindon beating up a bunch of literal children.

He's really proud about it too. I like the implication that Lindon got beaten up by children 7 years before that. And probably again 7 years before that. He's tested his soul 17 times, at once every half year; so there should have been 2 festivals before this.

I really wish the Suriel stuff would just go away.

Earlier than that: I thought his family trying to take away the spirit fruit was exceptionally rotten.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Finished the Grimgar anime. That's some good poo poo. A unique swords and sorcery story. By the end of the show wraps up with killing Death Spots the Kobold the party is almost up to the same level as most parties start out at though. Does it become more typical as the story goes on? I don't know how it could keep the same level of grimness going forward.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason I've always imagined him as sort of a tall, dark-ish skinned asian guy with bad acne scars* and kinda short spiky hair. I did not imagine him as particularly buff, though, outside of being generally physically fit.

* I have no idea where this part came from but it strongly characterizes my mental image

Lindon is relatively weak and that is heavily emphasized in the early books. But, like Darth Walrus said, I think he's supposed to look like a 'roid raging linebacker. I think there's supposed to be a comedic disconnect between his physical strength/appearance and everyone else's vastly superior madra strength. I agree its not super clear in the early books but it continues to be a theme that everyone who meets him thinks he's glaring intimidatingly at them. It's also almost the first description we get in the first book; the bit about the copper teen saying Lindon looks like he's spoiling for a fight.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thank you for all the suggestions on starter stories. I've read the first few chapters of all of them. For me, Cradle did the best job of explaining what stuff was even though it uses different terms, followed by Forge of Destiny.

I'm still confused as to what cycling is supposed to be or do though. Maybe the writers are too. It seems like its most commonly used as a synonym for meditation, but people also "cycle" in the middle of combat and to increase their energy maximum and to recover energy and... So what the heck is cycling and what are people actually doing when writers use that term?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Arkeus posted:

It does the 'classic' thing with 3 levels per realms:

Copper-Iron-Jade
Lowgold-Highgold-Truegold
Underlord-Overlord-TrueLord?
Majesty something something

As such, the difference between Jade and Gold, or Truegold and Underlord, or Truelord? and Majesty? are particularly big.

Not really for Jade to Gold. The transition from Jade to Gold is rushed and not handled well in general, but there's a line something like "a lowgold is just a jade with teeth" in one of the books. The transition to Underlord is unique so far though in that it adds genuinely novel abilities. The closest comparison would be the copper to iron transition which gives Iron Body except that only some Iron Bodies have cool powers, but all Underlords get a new powerset. Truegold to Underlord is definitely the biggest jump described so far.

Sage is somewhere past Majesty if I remember right.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Did we ever get an explanation for why the sacred 5-tailed fox is kept inside a bunch of script circles? Or how it got outside at the end of the first book? I don't remember one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just reached the current content of Forge of Destiny. I hadn't realized it was so new. The writer packs a lot of content into each real world day. I feel like the MC will stay in school for a long time yet.

I'm not sure how I feel about each meridian having its own aspect as opposed to Cradle's one aspect per core approach. Letting each meridian have its own aspect feels like a fake limitation since you can just keep opening new meridians and also dilutes the thematic notes since anyone can have any aspect/element/art.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Not exactly a web novel, but we've been talking cultivation stories a lot lately, and they've inspired me to run a CYOA again: All Ways Be Cultivating. I hope you'll check it out.

On a not-unrelated note; what are the good places to post up a web novel? I've noticed that a lot of stories got hosted on several sites but I haven't yet figured out which are legit and which aren't.

Ytlaya posted:

Are you reading it on Royal Road? Because the version there is an in-progress edited version of the web serial on sufficientvelocity where Ling Qi is done with her first year and has begun her second year, and isn't very far into all the existing current content - https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/forge-of-destiny-xianxia-quest.35583/reader

I had been reading on Royal Road; good guess. Thank you for the link! Looking forward to getting caught up for real.

edit: There are some pretty major differences introduced by the editing. A lot of the Elder Su notes got dropped. There've also been significant revisions to the order things happen in. I think the Royal Road version may also have extra content from other character's viewpoints. Interesting.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 21, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Reached the end of the first Forge of Destiny quest. I still enjoy it enough to keep reading, but I feel like it peaked somewhere around 2/3rds of the way through. The whole tone shifts once Ling Qi becomes one of the top cultivators. There isn't the frission of tension anymore that was the driving force of most of the story arc. She's clearly not a match for any of the top 3 cultivators but hardly anyone else is a meaningful threat anymore and it takes forever to get her spirit beast to be useful.

Looking over the new thread rules it looks like they forgot that Ling Qi owns a pill furnace; which is pretty funny since it was such a huge source of income for her.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just finished Underlord and its easy to see the improvement in Will Wright's writing. He's getting a lot better at humor. Still takes a paragraph or more to set up jokes but they're good enough now that I had to stifle laughter a couple of times. This was the first set of "bloopers" that were mostly funny too.

I like that Suriel hardly showed up in this one, just at the beginning and the end. I hope that's a trend that continues because he's realizing the Abbidan stuff is just a distraction.

Cynic Jester posted:

Edit: Best part of the book is the very end where we find out where Orthos went. Orthos is the best.

It's nice that Orthos is doing something good, but that whole plot just annoys me. Yerin and the Sword Sage savaged the Heaven's Glory School. They wounded all of their Jades to the point that they were too scared to fight Yerin or the Sword Sage remnant again. Yerin and Lindon killed at least 1 Jade. Basically all of the Irons were put in the hospital by Yerin. After being weakened so much the other schools in the Valley should have torn them apart and split the loot. Even if defending gave them enough of an edge to continue existing; they certainly shouldn't have had enough spare resources to gently caress up Wei clan. Especially since some of the sect members would have come from the Wei clan and might have fought with the Wei.

Anias posted:

I want him to split it again more as a way of keeping memories of cradle than to gain power. London is a pack rat, that he isn’t splitting his core to collect some fisher madra and some white fox madra etc feels silly. He might never find time for studying them, but even just a pile of pure but copper cores to dump strange madra he comes across into seems way too useful not to do for his soulsmithing.

Underlord bloopers have a passage about splitting Lindon's core again. Apparently there are loud groups of readers both for and against it. There are good in-universe reasons not to split his core more too. Several times people have pointed out that having two paths slows Lindon down because he has twice as much to learn. It's the same reason given for most people only developing a handful of techniques. Refining a few techniques through constant practice is more powerful than having a bunch of them.

He doesn't need to carry extra madras for smithing because his pure madra is already compatible with everything.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 3, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just started reading Savage Divinity. The first 14 chapters have been good. It's very slow but it has all the feels.

Ytlaya posted:

I just got to the part in Ghostwater where Lindon just straight up wins in a direct fight against the Truegold dragon girl. It really feels like a huge accomplishment after 5 books of him never having any straight-forward wins against strong enemies that don't involve some sort of deception/tricks on his part.

That was a good fight. I like how he got his rear end kicked a bunch the first few times he fought her.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i found the setting of savage divinity interesting enough, but i just couldn't bring myself to like the mc. there's no one thing i can point to for why i didn't like him, either.

I'm about 10% of the way through (43 chapters) and it is becoming increasingly clear why the MC was reincarnated as a slave. Nominally an adult mind in a teenager's body his manners and behavior are actually getting worse as the story progresses. There's no real justification for his behavior either. MC antagonizes anyone he meets outside the tribe that adopts him and is increasingly treating women as nothing more than sex objects. When he gets beaten bloody by a woman for it (the duel and subsequent brawl on the way to Society tournament) he doubles down on being disgusting.

Not sure how much longer I'll stick with it. It started super strong so this is really disappointing. Any stories where the MC isn't a terrible person?

Forge/Threads of Destiny MC at least has a concept of right and wrong even if the voters don't always manage to live up to it.

Grimgar characters are all super nice (to other humans) (except for Ranta).

My House of Horrors MC usually does the right thing, or at least stays close to it. Not a cultivation story but good urban horror/mystery.

Cradle MCs usually have justice on their side, although Lindon has been getting increasingly greedy. Poor Eithan Arelius is seriously underappreciated for all the help he's given them.

Bakanogami posted:

I'm curious about how they have the VA for Ferdinand in the announcement. He's one of the biggest characters in the series, but he doesn't even show up until part 2, and part 1 is beefy enough they can't exactly plow through it in a few episodes. Either they're going for a long series or they're going to try starting from the middle somehow.
You could pretty easily start with part 2; especially if you give her family less screen-time.

A lot of part 1 could be compressed because it is mostly her trying and failing to make paper a dozen different ways. I don't know how you'd make that interesting as a TV show. If you cut it out its not really bookworm anymore though.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm curious to find out how Eithan came up with, or learned, the "Heaven and Earth Purification Wheel" (or whatever it's called) cycling technique, since his massive madra stores seem like the entire basis of his relatively high power relative to other Underlord-level sacred artists and he makes a huge deal out of keeping it secret.

He's from another continent. It probably ties back to that. The Arelius family in the Blackflame empire has always seemed like a weaker cadet branch of the main family that Eithan comes from. As underscored by needing one of the Arelius from Eithan's part of the family to be their Underlord and leader.

I think Eithan is less concerned about keeping the cycling technique secret than him having pure madra secret. Although wasn't there one line where Eithan said the "Heaven and Earth Purification Wheel" technique was worth killing for? Seems weird since other breathing techniques have their own advantages. Better regen speed or faster cultivation or weird esoteric things like Lindon's core-splitting technique.

I wonder what Eithan could do with Lindon's empty palm technique. I'm surprised he hasn't asked to learn it yet. It's been surprisingly useful for Lindon even with always having to find some way to punch up. I bet he could go toe to toe with blood shadow types if he had it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

If nothing else, points for doing something interesting with the standard-substandard "This is how I Yusuke Urameshi'd myself here" bit that Isikai have to do by law.

What does "Yusuke Urameshi'd myself " mean? I've seen Yu Yu Hakusho and have no idea.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Arkeus posted:

Honestly, Unsouled camed out in july 2016. If 6 books in less than 3 years isn't "breakneck pace", well.... I would say any faster and there is no way the writer could keep any semblance of quality up.

Also, personally much more excited for Yerin and Eithan to be teaming up and beating up people without Lindon. Really hoping we get a lot of that.

They're really short books.

Tsubasa2004 posted:

It's when you dive in front of a truck to save a child.
Thank you.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Abidan Judge seems like it is pretty much a full time job. Wouldn't leave much time for Monarching.

I do think the first book implied that the missing Judge was from Cradle?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Silynt posted:

Yes, she is a Monarch and yes her handlers said she couldn’t compete, but I just can’t envision why you would include that scene and then not have it pay off in the tournament, seems like a wasted detail if she doesn’t compete. I guess it emphasizes her childish nature, so it DOES provide a little character detail for someone we know very little about. To me, that still doesn’t seem like it’s worth including, unless she actually does compete.

That's a well reasoned line of thought. On the other hand, there's all the pages wasted on the Abidan stuff...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SerSpook posted:

For those interested in Forge of Destiny Hanyi is gonna be bound soon.

And then her mom is gonna try to murder the MC. Like she does. I don't see a way that she keeps tutoring the MC for sure.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Been reading Mother of Learning on Royal Road lately. It's very Western but surprisingly well written.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Anyone read The Wandering Inn? Two years old and still updating. I just found it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but the version on RoyalRoad isn't just a straight copy of the wordpress version. So far I'm liking the wordpress version better because it does a better job of explaining things and setting the stage, and I'm wondering which version the author prefers.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Are there any stories similar to Forge of Destiny? Something about that kind of ersatz-school setting really clicks with me.

I read and enjoyed Mother of Learning which sort of scratched the same itch.

I know I've read one Exalted-fan fiction set in that same sort of school setting too but I can't remember the name again and even after many hours of Googling can't find it again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks! I've already read a lot of these so I guess I'll give my thoughts as well.

Threadbare - If you haven't read this yet, you should. It's well written, whimsical, and delightful. Excellent use of puns. Complete but has a spin-off/sequel. Available for free on Royal Road but also published via Amazon.

Cradle - Fantastic. Easiest to get through kindle where it feels overpriced due to the relatively short length of each book but is otherwise fantastic. Very much an adventure story except for Ghostwater which is closest to the more typical cultivation narrative.

Mother of Learning - Good once you get through the rough start. MC becomes more likeable as the story progresses but also eventually leaves the academic setting.

Forge of Destiny - I obviously like it since I was asking for more like it. Typical streetrat learns not only how to kung fu to the beat, but also that friends are magical.

Savage Divinity - This one is only okay, but still significantly better than most of the trash that clutters this genre. I've read complaints about the MC accumulating a harem, but it's handled relatively tastefully and sex is kept offscreen so it didn't bother me. Still ongoing, but I found the most recent chapters less interesting than the previous ones and haven't been keeping up with it.

The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound - Started out looking pretty interesting, but it quickly became obvious that the author has no idea how to write combat scenes or training montages. Since that's most of what happens in this genre, I've put it down after only making it through the first 18 chapters.

Of these only Mother of Learning made significant use of a school setting which is a lot of what makes these stories work well for me. Although I enjoy Gamer a fair bit even if a lot of his powerups are random and/or feel unearned.

Arcane Ascension looks like it might be good, but my local library doesn't have it available in any format.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 17, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

In Threads of Destiny news, Ling has successfully crawled the dungeon and found a dead elder's sexnasium.

eww

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Started reading Street Cultivation. It starts off pretty good and 12 chapters in it is still cruising. Only one plot twist from way out in left field so far, but that one was a real gut punch in-universe. Overall writing quality is high and the author is updating every few days, which is impressively rapid.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 19, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Silynt posted:

I started reading this and just got past the big plot twist you mention. I feel like the debt leeches are incredibly contrived and poorly presented in the story. For one thing, this isn’t some dystopian society, this is the modern world with a twist, I find it very hard to believe that there are laws that allow debts to pass to inheritors like this. And if there are, surely the MC would be aware that this would be a possibility going in to the meeting with the lawyers given his parents issues, but it doesn’t even cross his mind. Or even if the MC is too young/poor to understand the law, his uncle surely should have known that this was a possibility. Also, the lawyer had previously mentioned that their debts had already been paid. All in all, I found it to be a really lovely plot contrivance.

(Street Cultivation post inheritance)That's the one. The author got a lot of feedback about that in the comments and if you read the next chapter the author lays out why that happened in their head-canon.

Even more than the idiocy of lawyers acting like low-life debt collectors, it's upsetting to me that it is a topic the MC remains stupid about despite finally wising up and asking his good uncle for advice. He should be paying off the leaches one at a time instead of spreading it across all three. That's just basic household economics (which, to be fair, almost no one in the middle class on down seems to be well informed about where I live).

If there's only one thing everyone is exceptionally stupid about, it will be one of the better web novels so I'm going to keep reading it for now. The overall quality of the writing remains good.

Fake Edit: I kind of wish the uncle had told the MC that the debt passing on was 100% illegal but that suing a large law firm like that was impossible/would cost more than paying the debt even though it was super evil. That would have felt more in line with current distopian trends.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 21, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Arcane Ascension is pretty good and happens at a school, with what is sort of a roguelike dungeon that they delve on the regular being a core focus of the story.

I read the free sample on Amazon for the first book, Sufficiently Advanced Magic, and the sample takes place entirely inside the dungeon. Writing quality is fine, but so far everyone but the MC has just ridiculous amounts of skill or power to the point where I'm worried they'll take center stage. Even the freaking book is more awesome than the MC!

The piece I read was also structured kind of weirdly. There's lots of extraneous details in the room and puzzle descriptions and the MC tends to bounce around them in a fashion suspiciously similar to Twitch plays Pokemon. Did the story start out as a CYOA like Forge of Destiny?

When does the school show up?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Syenite posted:

So... in light of that crackdown, anybody have any recs for good web novels with LGBT themes? (I, personally, prefer sci-fi/fantasy stuff over drama/historical types.)

Forge of Destiny one of the main side-characters is lesbian. Very understated in the first half because the MC doesn't realize it. Probably my favorite web novel. The version on Royal Road is an edited version, but the original story is still running on Sufficient Velocity forums.

Practical Guide to Evil main character is Bi and mostly sleeps with other women. All-fade-to-black type stuff. One of the male bit characters is gay and this is treated as so normal I almost forgot about it.

The Gods Are Bastards is okay and there's an entire fantasy church/cult that promotes lesbianism as an ideal because one of their early heroes was. They're also militant feminists and make up half the army. It's played half straight and half for laughs (personally I find the comedy aspects both forced and cringeworthy).

Those are all in English and won't be going away anytime soon.

Edit: I Favor the Villianess is all about a girl who gets dropped into a reverse-harem game and decides to pursue the female who is supposed to be her rival instead. Rival is wildly tsundere as you'd expect. I didn't read past the first chapter since it didn't appeal to me but it's reasonably popular so you might like it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 5, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Unrelated to the topic you were talking about, but I've been catching up with Threads of Destiny, and one thing I'm continually amazed about is how incredibly cool and unique the imagery is for all the techniques the characters use. Even complete randos have extremely badass skills. A good example is that upperclassman sword guy Ling Qi dueled with fairly recently, who seemingly had the ability to cut through techniques. I feel like the author has got to run out of ideas at some point.

It really is impressive.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nemo Somen posted:

With respect to FoD, how much of a quality difference is there between the OG story and the version on RR? I understand that the version on RR is supposed to be a bit more polished and I'm interested in reading more but not as much if the version on RR is significantly improved.

When I switched I didn't mind. The biggest thing to get used to is the forum format, but you can also look at some of the arguments that decided which direction would be taken and the dice rolls are embedded which makes combat encounters make more sense.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Just caught up in PracGuide. Catherine's latest stunt is amazing.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Well, I read Savage Divinity.

...I'd say the guy needs an editor, but honestly if you took the knife to this I'm not sure what would be left. There is just so much wallpaper in there, so many words spent signalling that yes, you are reading a Savage Divinity chapter. It's gonna hit all the same beats as the last twenty chapters, and the next twenty. You could probably read it off the inside of your eyelids.

That said, I made it through nearly five hundred chapters, so I guess I can't poo poo on it that hard.

That's higher praise for Savage Divinity than I could give it. There were entire arcs I disliked, but it somehow always managed to just barely avoid being too stupid or too poorly written for me to slog through it.

The arc I stopped on had the MC's alter ego in charge of the body while the original personality was busy healing them or something. It went on way too long. I probably won't pick it up again.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

SerSpook posted:

Man is Mercy gonna have egg on its face, after the whole vision thing. I feel kinda bad for them though, they seem like a cool set of angels compared to Contrition.

I don't know. They seemed pretty happy about it.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oh yeah, that arc telescoped out to infinity, apparently because the author was trying to avoid killing off the love interest. I'll say that it does recover once it gets out of that rut (around chapter 120~140 or so), and it never gets that bad again and the alternate personality eventually gets the axe, but peak was probably before that. Before Rain starts collecting pets.

Case in point: in my mind that lake arc takes place about halfway through the story... it's closer to a quarter of the way in. :geno:

Really? I was all caught up when I stopped. Author must be writing like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jossar posted:

All of Cradle's individual books and other individual books by the same author are free today (at least on Amazon, haven't checked anywhere else). If you wanted to get into it but couldn't afford it/didn't want to pay, here's your chance.

So's his Traveler's Gate Trilogy. Haven't read that one yet but Cradle was so good I'll give it a try. In fact, all of his stuff on Amazon is $0 today except for some of the box sets but you can still get the books individually. Great find!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

But 158 has a publication date in 2016, so uhh maybe we're thinking of different arcs or you were not as caught up as you thought?

Just checked, that's the arc I was thinking of. Weird.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 4, 2019