Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Paracelsus posted:

It helps that they give her a cartoony shark-tooth mouth rather than the horrifying pincers that traumatised a generation of children who played SimAnt.

Antlions were way more terrifying in that game, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno, maybe try reading a few chapters of the manga? they do a pretty good job of de-horrorfying a giant spider eating a bunch of weird bugs and animals.

The problem with the manga is that there isn't nearly enough of it.

They do a fantastic job of making Kumoko adorable, too. Wanna hug that giant spider.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That super-short WN someone posted about the driver grabbing the wheel of the magical sentient Japanese Truck, making it miss the intended teenager, and instead travelling into the fantasy world and doing a hit-and-run on the king has me thinking--has anybody done a reverse reincarnation novel yet, where a fantasy monster gets hit by a runaway cart and wakes up as a human in modern-day Japan? It'd be a scheme by the gods to make up for declining birthrates, naturally :v:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Oh man, she's finally made it to the cavern! Can't wait for the monkey assault.

I really wish the manga came out more frequently, it's really good.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is the closest I've seen in actual webfiction.

This is the dumbest thing and I love it. D&D mechanics jokes are a pretty low form of humor but drat if I'm not amused every time.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I fell off of ISSTH around something something Sea God World. Is it worth picking back up, or has it just been power level wankfests? (Pill-making wankfests are acceptable)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

owl milk posted:

I have to recommend White Collar Cultivator, it's a quest that's pretty much just starting that's about a guy who was mistakenly kidnapped by a cultivator organization and has to work as a paper-pusher. The mortal work ethic is way stronger than that of cultivators (who would much rather cultivate than do their job) so he gets noticed pretty quickly. Seems like it'll have some interesting things to do with clichés in the genre ('righteous anger' and killing tons of people and all that) later on if what's been hinted at is any indication. Uhhh the author writes tons and tons of words per update, the most recent update being the same as a certain vegetable man's meme in word length, but although I skimmed over some stuff like the book reports it doesn't feel like padding as much as either worldbuilding, foreshadowing, or a tiny bit of plot.

Another recommendation for A Will Eternal as well. Pretty sure someone on here said this already but the main character is essentially the main character from Kung Fu Hustle except even more shameless and it's hilarious.

I don't know if it's because I'm a boring person, but I love stories that are a little behind the scenes like this. Yes, you've got a lot of very exciting Kung Fu wizards, but what I really want to know is what their accountant's life is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Just finished the first book of AWE, good stuff. Does it manage to keep up the tone the whole way through? I fell off of ISSTH after he left his clan's holdings to join the something or other Oceans sect and it felt like it was just going to be power level fights with no swindles from there on.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 11, 2018