Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

darkgray posted:

I just finished reading Watashi wa Tatakau Dungeon Master, and it was pretty good: Girl sees a mysterious group of people appear and destroy our world in front of her very eyes, but she runs at them to grab the "world core" they've stolen, and ends up sucked into their world, where she turns into a Dungeon Master, with the goal to collect enough soul points to recreate Earth again. Lots of murdering invading adventurers and random villagers who stumble upon her dungeon.
That sounds great. And makes me sad that I still haven't managed to improve my japanese.

Does anybody know a learner friendly machine translation system?
Ideally I would like something that displays the original text normally, but shows the translation of a sentence next to it, under it, or even if I click on it.
Sort of like Rikaichan, but for whole sentences. I do know something like this used to exist for adding furigana.
I do have a google translate addon. But it replaces the original with the translated sentence, needs a menu to do so, and somehow has no undo option so that I have to reload the page to check the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I recently ran into a specialized translator's page: http://prosperousfood.com .
The page is full of food based webnovels where the main character devotes their webnovel based overpoweredness to cooking.

I haven't read through all their novels yet, but most seem fun.
The only one I would unquestionably recommend is Here Comes The Lady Chef.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The protagonist of Kuma Kuma literally invents animal husbandry, and this is fine. That sort of thing has no place outside of a relaxed comedy.
Though once I thought about it, a society with a forest full of infinitely respawning edible monsters has little need for farm animals.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

Having read through it the story hangs entirely on them and they couldn't really be excluded.
I wouldn't say that.
The memory wipes started out well told, with the character having the same knowledge as us, and the returning memories acting as flashbacks. And every memory that gets newly wiped being hidden from the reader, too.
It only got bad with the sequel, now things feel like a sitcom Amnesia plot.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just stumbled onto this. It is terribly translated, but pretty funny:
https://www.yasashiinosekaiwa.com/2016/12/14/2015-nendo-nyugaku-shikenmondai-kyoka-konyaku-haki/

If it said 2055 instead of 2015 it would be scarily realistic.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

atelier morgan posted:

Its a xianxia style isekai rather than a palace intrigue isekai so she hasn't hooked up with anyone and instead just has a platonic harem of male admirers. The closest thing to a romantic lead is a spirit inhabiting her body and its not close at all.

She spend most of the first several hundred chapters disguised as three boys

Sounds good.
2000 chapters :stare:

Has anybody found a reasonable way to create or download an ebook from one of those crazy websites?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kalas posted:

I've used the WebToEpub addon for firefox. Works really well for what I've tried.

This is pretty cool and seems to work for lots of WNs. But it doesn't work for the one we were discussing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Remember Magical Device Craftsman Dahlia?

The story just took the "MC reinvents cooking/rice/shoes and gets celebrated as a hero" to a new peak.
Our hero is now in danger of being enobled for her introduction of athlete's foot treatments.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Megazver posted:

Do the entire universe's culture and economy hinge on athletes' feet?

It seems to be only the city/country she lives in. As far as we know.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

There is also that really dumb story that manages to switch between interesting and the dumbest paragraph by paragraph.
Where the MC comes from an ultra abuse orphanage(tm) and ends up in some experiment for VR that secretly transports their souls to another planet and humankind is imperialistically exploiting that other planet through the VR gear somehow. And the hero gets a super rare monster form and is also super weak. And she creates an anti-slavery uprising of nonhumans. And becomes some kind of god fairly quickly.

it is this one: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/apotheosis-of-a-demon-a-monster-evolution-story/?pg=8

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

After all those royalroad recommendations I checked their recommendation pages for a bit.
I just read almost 20 chapters of a cultivation style story and still can't tell if it is supposed to be a parody.

It was "Be The Icy Beauty"

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

i was clicking around an noticed that there were several "villainess fights heroine after being reincarnated into her past several times" stories that I couldn't tell apart from their description. And that is not even counting the actually good one ,tho I prefer the manga adaption.

I started reading one and it turned out to be dumb in the best possible way:

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-am-a-duchess-who-has-rewound-nine-times-but-my-tenth-life-seems-to-be-a-reward-mode/?pg=4#myTable

quote:

If Maximilian’s true form is the endgame of muscles, Dylan’s appearance is at the midgame of muscles! He hasn’t transcended human form, yet! Despite so, his muscles are still excellent! Be still, my beating heart! Why, just why did this muscular development occur!?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

cinnamon bun, somehow, came off 10000x creepier, and I can't explain why or how.
It is because that one is the only one where you have characters that are characterized as "young" get anywhere near sex. Or rather the only story that has characters acting younger then their stated age, as opposed to the opposite.

And the way the author keeps focusing on lesbian protagonist makes me want to link them the "you might be a transbian if..." meme, before accusing them of any other motivations.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 7, 2021

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

LLSix posted:

I kind of want to read a proglit story titled "Numbers Go Up." I don't know if it'd be funnier if it was written completely seriously or as a parody.

The Salvos guy wrote that for last april fools, iirc. But they deleted it later.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Paladin posted:

Hey everyone, I'm trying to plan out a portfolio project and am going to make a WordPress theme optimized for ebooks and web novels.

Other than making the default display readable, display setting customization, and a functional table of contents, is there anything you wish that more web novel sites had, or made easier from a reader's perspective?
A way to download an e-reader version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So I found one that goes very deep into the parody mode. First few chapters are very funny, but there is only a negligible chance of the story keeping that up.
The Saint Whose Engagement Was Broken Runs a Cafeteria, Where the Beloved Demon King and Ninja Visit Today (Alternatingly) – The Odd Saint Is [Secretly] the Demon King’s Favorite
https://www.novelupdates.com/series...kings-favorite/

quote:

It was on our way back from the expedition to defeat the Demon Lord, which was a pastime for aristocratic sons.
“Hiira, I’m breaking off our engagement. Also, you’re no longer needed in the party, so leave.”

quote:

The halo shone and spun, scattering wheat flour all around. Then I licked the flour and cast a defensive barrier on myself.
“I’m Hiira Seamacy, also known as the Wheat Flour Cinnamon Saint!! When I’m a saint, I’m serious, so don’t underestimate me!!!”

And then I took out a fire starter from my magic pouch and lit it.

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!