Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Fair warning, the translator chose not to translate a number of terms, so you get things like ling where most people would use spirit, and so on. Similarly, the different cultivation ranks are not translated. And so on. That's why gimme the candy above was complaining about an unreadable translation. If you push through and learn the terms, it becomes easy enough to understand--it only introduces so many terms. But I agree that this is not a step the translator should demand of the readers.

I agree that a proper translation would be better, but another way to approach reading something like that is to just read it and ignore the vocabulary completely. You can pick up a vague meaning of the words from the context they're used in surprisingly quickly. That's what I did with world of cultivation. I looked at the separate vocabulary list, thought gently caress that, and just started reading and let my eyes glaze over the untranslated words. For example, almost 400 chapters later and I still don't know what jindan means in english but I know that it's about the highest cultivation rank displayed in the story thus far (aside from the ranks of the obligatory ghost mentor characters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I want to read a WN that is like a male-oriented version of those "reincarnated as the villainess in an otome game" WNs. Like, where someone reincarnates as the rear end in a top hat arranged marriage partner of the harem protagonist's main love interest or something.

There's "My death flags show no sign of ending", where the protagonist reincarnates as the first act noble-rear end in a top hat bit-villain of a generic jrpg. And has to make sure the hero has a reason to put their party together to fight the demon lord and save the world without getting killed in the process.

Also the dude gets stuck with villain tourettes and is forced to speak in the most rear end in a top hat-noble like way possible at all times.

I've only read it partially, but I don't remember anything too problematic about the parts I did read. I can't say anything about the parts I haven't read though.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Rakuin no Monshou is a pretty decent non-isekai fantasy story about an urchin thief turned slave gladiator forced to act as a body double to a imperial prince. And seizing power once he realizes that the real prince he's supposed to be impersonating got himself killed in the second chapter of the first book by being a creep.

Lot's of politics, scheming, war, and pretending to be his own masked bodyguard/hatchetman. Very sword and sorcery/sandal in the classic Conan vein, except with muskets, artillery and airships. Everyone is just a normal skilled human, all magic thus far has been subtle divination, illusion and mind control stuff used by the villains. And dragons are just big dumb lizards used as mounts for shock cavalry.

It reminds me bit of what little I know about Guin Saga, which unfortunately consists of the anime from few years back. Are the official translations for that available as e-books anywhere by the way? The only fan-translations I've found for that, when I looked in the past, were summaries or started after the the point where the official translations ended and I don't really want to bother with the physical books.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

No idea how I forgot about Han Jian, but I did totally forget about Wen Ai. I thought Chu Song wasn't a factor because you could only stay in the Outer Sect (or that part of it, anyways) for 2 years? Otherwise it seems like the Outer Sect would be swamped with a bunch of older lower third realms.

That still leaves only like 4 or 5 people on her level, though. Do we have a clear idea where Bai Xian Fen stands (relative to Meizhen when she first started)? Unless she's around that level, I doubt she'll catch up to someone who went third realm in the earlier part of the year.

From what I understood lurking the game threads, it's less that the outer sect has a hard 2 year timelimit and more that Ling Qi's year was freakishly strong.

A typical sect year sees one maybe two students reach early green and most of the new entrants to the inner sect are peak yellow at most.

Reaching green at all in the outer sect is usually a guaranteed ticket to the inner sect. The time limit is more about anyone who hasn't made it to the inner sect in two years being insufficiently driven or too untalented to ever reach green before dying of old age, especially with all the good elder challenge rewards being restricted to new students only, and ending up as one of the for-life outer sect students that run the sect post-office or grind low-level resource gathering and pill-making quests for the rest of their life to earn their keep and provide the resources for the actually takented new students.

With three ducal heirs, Ling Qi and Ji Rong in the same year and the harsher competition caused by Duchess Cai demanding the elders to be more hands off on enforcement, so Renxiang can get her thunderdome training, there's a record number of actually talented and driven green cultivators, who normally would have easily made it to the inner sect, stuck in the outer sect waiting for a new shot at the next year's inner sect tournament. Not to mention all the peak yellows who would also normally had decent enough chances to make it in a less freakishly harsh tournament.

It's going to take a few years for all of the normally talented enough cultivators, who just couldn't compete with the ducal heirs and monster commoners, to filter into the inner sect and the usual status-quo to reassert itself.