Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Pretty sure that's a joke (though with notable effort put in, its not a straight up replace-all), with the original text from this translation:
https://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdoms-Historical-Novel-Part/dp/0520224787

Not sure why someone decided that joke was worth the effort, but w/e

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

jon joe posted:

Crossposting from the new Web Serial thread:

I'm going to recommend The Dao of Magic, an english xianxia love letter written primarily in a stream-of-consciousness style, about an absurdly powerful "brain" cultivator that is smited by gods down to a lower realm with magic instead of qi. He needs to rebuild his foundation from scratch while preventing a qi-based apocalypse, with the help of some disciples. I think the non-MC characterization is weak, but I still find it to be a gripping series.
I am supremely amused by the internal shouting to do stuff.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 26, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Katreus posted:

If we're reccing fanfic, I'd like to rec something in a similar vein, an original xianxia quest called Forge of Destiny. A quest is basically like a forum game where all the questers control a single character and vote on actions or decisions that the character does, and the Quest Master responds with the results and controls all non-protagonist characters. Like web novels, quest posts can vary in quality.

In this case, I think Forge of Destiny is a lot of fun with minimal 'game' aspects for story post readers, it's well written, and it updates pretty regularly. It's got an interesting world, if influenced by Chinese culture, and side characters feel distinct and have agency / their own adventures. One of my favorite side characters would usually be considered an antagonist in these types of stories (by trope / genre) but her development has been very unique.

Fair warning - there is a bit of tense switch-up and 2nd person / 3rd person mixups in the beginning posts, but it's sorted out as the story continues.
This has pretty good characterization.

I'm completely ignoring the background mechanics, though I am curious how much fudging is done (not in the faking rolls sense, but in the setting "appropriate" challenge level).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 10, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The earlier volumes of Desolate Era have pretty good fights with decent variety of things being shown, e.g. making rain scary.

Before the scaling breaks everything into swordlight dickwaving or something.

Sindai posted:

Speaking of hilarious scaling, the main character in Desolate Era just spent fifty thousand years hiding invisibly by a (magic) door waiting for someone to open it so he could sneak in.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
In this train of discussion, the translation comparison posted a few pages back was interesting to see

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Was the tax evasion on purpose or is the author just a dumbass?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah its the sentence structure being really abrupt with no flow that seems a hallmark of chinese -> english translation, even in the better translated stuff. Especially character interactions. Info-dumps can be alright, like some of the earlier chapters of 40K.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 22, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
No longer following RTW, but true faithful do exist, and there are conceivable reasons for the lack of faith - the religion/church is actively political, isn't actually all that old, and was manufactured. Though that fact does bring up other worldbuilding issues of its own that aren't addressed afaik - for one why the gently caress no one has even kept even a cursory oral history.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 3, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

The Girl Who Bore the Flame Ring's translation wrapped up. I really like this author.
This has really weird juxtaposition - obviously intended - but that doesn't stop it from being really hard to read.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
It is interesting that they've managed to tap into a market of people willing to pony up more $ than books for poo poo. The only redeeming feature of this stuff is that it is (was) free.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Customers who bought this item also bought

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
This is interesting. I can sort of see the Mary Sue thing, she has fallen rear end backwards into wealth, but there is a lot of trauma involved in getting that bullshit (and then later consequences of that to herself and those attached to her), so...

Also lol the paragraphs of fashion description that need to be skipped every few chapters. Yeah, I guess that's counts towards the author self-insert fantasy leaking straight through

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 12, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

TheDemon posted:

absurd paragraph-long...descriptions of how sexy and fashionable every single protagonist-aligned female is.
I thought the writer had to be female exactly because of those descriptions (and the accompanying pinterest album!?!) (yeah yeah, prejudice/bias/etc). Profile states male but that just seems so unbelievable (yeah yeah, prejudice/bias/etc).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I mean...from a mechanical perspective, many ARPGs are xianxia-like with the several order of magnitude differentials between level 1 noob and max level.

In fact, when I first stumbled onto Desolate Era, my reference frame comparison was actually giant MMO with a giganticly wide skill tree and lootbag evil NPCs/arbitrary loot dungeons that have no reason to exist except as loot generators.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh. At some point I wonder if said authors are trolling the readers.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Just server problems apparently.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
In other qidian news, apparently some translations have another (lump sum) payment block in front of them, but still have the standard pay for chapter attached. So basically pay to have the privilege of paying to read.

lol

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Megazver posted:

I'm reading it right now after stopping 100 chapters before the ending to wait for it to get translated and boy, I forgot how terrible the translation was. I hope whoever translated this never gets hired to do this again.
I thought the initial translation guys (in the pre-Qidian days - volare was the guy I think?) were fine - did they change people when they swept in? Haven't followed since they started doing the mental world superhero wtfery.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jymmybob posted:

For all its faults, overlord fits pretty well because of the tons of side stories and world building.

Also I wish qidian underground would come back up because I'm in Way of the Devil withdrawal. Dude just loves building entire organizations of misfits, powering them up, then wandering off. By the end he's going to figure out how to link dimensions or something and realize the entire multiverse basically works for him so he can finally retire in peace.

Also I still hate-read Sage Monarch but it's so bland and predictable that I can't shake the feeling it's a parody of wuxia in general even though I know it's serious. I hate it so much.
just google
https://m.wuxiaworld.co/Way-of-the-Devil/
https://boxnovel.com/novel/way-of-the-devil/
appear to be up to date with whatevers on qidian/webnovel. also lmao you need to get to page 3 of google before the official qidian/webnovel shows up as a result

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 15, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm reading the Demoness' Art of Vengeance at the moment and it's killing me.
Saw this earlier in the thread. This sorta had a promising start, but dived really loving fast. MC is stupid, antagonists are more stupid. Contrived events (both positive "cool powerup" and negative "new enemy") occur by fiat completely randomly.

It also spends way too much time in the heads of the retard villains and their silly plans and really stupid motivations (we don't need to spend multiple chapters on these).

Pros: Legititmately good fight scenes. I basically skim the chapter names and read the ones that look fighty. Who the enemies are & their context are meaningless and would just be stupid anyway.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 11, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah I'd say the first half of Desolate Era is the best of the, uh, standard approach?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The other thing to be wary of generalizing is that we're only seeing what's getting translated, and that's a filter that introduces additional biases.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 21, 2020

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Probably to no one's surprise, PracGuide will have another book.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
lmao at the original beware the chicken thread (on spacebattles) being shut down due to a gun derail

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Artificer posted:

The voters haven't entirely decided on it quite yet but that's a hell of a good move imo!
Wanders over and looks at the voting.

Wouldn't call that not entirely decided on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
oh i see they have joined everyone else's monetization scheme