Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
It is honestly funny when in a cultivation novel the MC is ok being a bad guy and does not try to be righteous. That way at least they are honest about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

I love Doggos! Giving Goodboys puppers rubrubs from the Underworld (contains Light Slavery)

I am down with this.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

jon joe posted:

Web Novel megathread: Bad Stories, Worse Readers

Web Novels Bad Stories attract Worse Readeds

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
In some ways the cultivator stuff is way better than Chinese webnovels that take places in the "real" world because you do not have to hear about the main character dunking on Japan and Korea all the time.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
China had a whole bunch of history edited during the cultural revolution which is why the remaining martial arts and other things are believed in more so than might make sense. That's what a friend who was an exchange student explained it at least.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
From what I understand it is because fantasy in the US was mostly based on DnD and in japan and china it was based on early RPG video games for what a lot of these authors played as kids.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This is why I don't think it's inspired by any specific games; it's just taking a general concept from RPGs (stats and skills) and using it to codify the protagonist's growth relative to other characters.

It fits very firmly in asian mmo concepts. Your pet has bite 1 until it levels enough to get bite 2. You leveled up and got skill points you can put into skills you have access to. You love the grind so when you max level your class you can start a new class at level 1 with all the growth from your old one saved. I am just waiting for a light novel have them enter a disgaea style item world to level up the item.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I joke with some people that the MC always comes from super poor people ghetto land and the max education available is like 1st grade and other continents are just like elementary school, middle school, move to the divine lands high school, and college then the great divine lands are like the post doctorate planes. In the greater areas they just pretend the poor uneducated people do not exist and the MC has a massive chip on his shoulder because he wasn't lucky in where he was born. That and they have fantasy mega cities with populations bigger than current Asia all in one city.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

jon joe posted:

I'm working on... something similar to that idea.

When they keep talking about how some cities have billions of people 1 in a thousand becomes millions of people just in that city.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nah, swallowed star is all of iet's usual peccadilloes paired with a whole lot of racism.

That has nothing on the trash that is I'm really a superstar. It is racism to the extreme.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

we were talking about the works of i eat tomatoes.

I eat tomatoes seems like he is pretty ok as long as the work doesn't take place on earth. If it does CHINA HO!!!

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Getsuya posted:

I’m kinda interested in King’s Avatar or whatever it’s called after seeing a video that showed how it was SAO only good. Is it really that good? Also is there a good English translation?

Isn't that the esports mmo webnovel who the mc is like late twenties guy who smokes and had to retire and wants to come back to the esport?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

Somehow the description for this one is even worse than the title :catstare:

It could be worse just imagine if it was genderblender instead of bender

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Kyoujin posted:

Where are people reading Release That Witch? I dropped it a while back when there was translater drama. Volare only has chapters up to 325ish.

Edit: never mind. I found the Qidian site.

Qidian site is fine with an add blocker that stops the stupid gating of new releases by watching a video. They are still an awful company but what ever.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have never created an account or logged in.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Once I got a new ipad webnovel.com works much better and even though I don't like quidan its better than some of the alternatives that open a you won a amazon gift card redirects when I just want to read lovely webnovels.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I mean I am already on a tablet so I am getting ads you don't have to have a loving redirect ad that I can't hit x on to close.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Would not give a poo poo if it was banner ads on the top and bottom for mobile but no lets have pop ups you can't do anything about and redirects.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Webnovel.com is finally putting into action the use for the stones to try and get people to buy them by having premium chapters unlock with stones instead of a silly video.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I liked it when I could sign in daily 2x because of tablet and pc both signing in.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

anyone with actual taste wouldn't be posting in the web novel thread

Isn't that the truth, I just like my free popcorn power fantasy trips. It's this or reading John Ringo and you can only read so much Ringo.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
They vomit blood like an anime character shoots it out their nose.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Tobermory posted:

In the more recently translated chapters, it turns out that the Evil Empire they've been fighting unending war with for decades is literally the Japanese.

Yeah china novel. Fishing the Myriad Heavens has that also, I just really laughed about a MC that had the super power of a fishing pole going into crazy xainxia worlds pulling crazy bullshit up with his fishing rod.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
The fact that the MC is literally broken in the head and past elder god gibbering and not just emotionally not really present is different. He is so crazy once some gods realize they are like oh wait I do not want to gently caress with you.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Asian debt collectors are the reason the MC in Heavenly moonlight sculptor starts that mmo. Its almost a cliche in the WNs.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Tobermory posted:

Have you read Fishing the Myriad Heavens? It's basically nothing but boring curbstomp fights, shenanigans with a transdimensional fishing rod, and foodie sections where he cooks and eats things he fished out of other xianxia novels.
Along with a strong dose of gently caress japan.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I totally am fine with some of the china #1 japan is subhuman scum and korea needs to be taken over by china taken out or lessened in translations. I also laugh about people joking about censorship when china has changed online rules before and the authors have all gone and censored their stuff or else the censors would have it taken down.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I wonder if he is more powerful than aqua man.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

It seems to be heavily based on WoD/Storyteller, so not wholly new art (odd choice of system- it's not that great to begin with and it scales really poorly).

Still weird, though. It's a lot more heavyweight than most CYOAs, and adds... what, exactly? The opportunity for a bunch of forumers to break their brains arguing about doping schedules and dice caps?

At least they didn't copy L5R as the rpg to take it from with when you roll a 10 the dice can explode and you roll it again and add them up and if it is a 10 again keep on exploding.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have to laugh that I think there are 3-5 different web novels about the main character who for ??? reasons goes back in time 5 years and starts playing an mmo and becomes super famous and good because he knows all the tricks from 5 years in the future and where the unique drops happen and different events because he read about it. It is really funny that multiple people have all copied the idea and they all are like 5 years right guys.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Its so much more specific than cultivator novels and also way way more completely the same to the point you wonder if they hoped readers would forget which one they were reading and just pick it up and continue like it was the same book.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I like the genre when it has one dude who like body cultivates and no one else does and his super power is just punch someone really really hard and not energy rays all over. Also weighing like 2000 pounds and in the best cases not being able to fly and having to throw things at the people riding swords.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
You have to also wonder if the changes they keep doing at webnovel.com are to see how much different it is from the revenue brought in by Gravitytales because they are both owned by the same parent company. So its not directly by QI its just by the people who own QI.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
He would be a chinese webnovel not isekai protagonist because he constantly refers to how smart he is and how he bangs hot chicks.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I also love how murdering endangered species and plants and flowers for the "natural treasures" to eat them and get more swole is super well thought upon in web novels. It's like I just had a conversation with this dude but he is a magical beast so now I am going to murder him and BBQ him to bring me to flavor town and my body will be stronger for it.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

more like extinct once a murder hobo rolls through

douluo dalu is real bad as are its sequels. however, one interesting thing it did was how in the first sequel, the sentient monsters they kill to gain power are endangered. in the second sequel, they are mostly extinct so they use a harmless synthetic replacement. no moral!

Wait isn't that the one where the dude bangs a rabbit?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

yep, the setting which starts with the mc marrying a transformed sentient rabbit monster does absolutely nothing about killing sentient monsters for power until there are no more to kill.

So the true lesson of the setting is gently caress you, got mine.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Goons planted vast lemon orchards outside cities and then hid in them to ambush people doing caravan quests

Honestly sounds like something you would find in some web novels.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Really makes you wonder if the publisher who owns Quidan and Gravity tales looking at the monetization of both sites and seeing what works better in the western market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Quidan's terms are so so so lovely.