Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

The Lord of Hats posted:

That super-short WN someone posted about the driver grabbing the wheel of the magical sentient Japanese Truck, making it miss the intended teenager, and instead travelling into the fantasy world and doing a hit-and-run on the king has me thinking--has anybody done a reverse reincarnation novel yet, where a fantasy monster gets hit by a runaway cart and wakes up as a human in modern-day Japan? It'd be a scheme by the gods to make up for declining birthrates, naturally :v:

The Devil is a Part-Timer, also available in manga and anime formats. A deposed demon lord finds himself powerless and stranded in modern day japan. Plans to take over the world by working his way up the corporate ladder at McDonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Tiriganiaq posted:

So I finished reading The girl who ate death but the epilogue is no longer online since distractedtranslation shut down their site. If no one else know a place i can find it could someone just spoil me on it?

That sucks, I don't know where else it might be but she saves the world with potatoes.

edit: Found an epub with the missing parts of chapter 34, but I'm still looking for the epilogue. http://www.mediafire.com/file/a0yavk12zded9hp/The+Girl+Who+Ate+Death.epub

edit 2: Found another missing chapter (but not the last) password is "stnarofedamtnuocca" https://qianweijia.wordpress.com/qwerty/

edit 3: Since I can't find the epilogue, here's what I remember: After the rebels overthrow the kingdom, Schera kills Diener, the rebel spymaster. The new queen can't run things without him, and her dynasty falls apart. The new rebel controlled kingdom slowly turns to poo poo. Decades later they become enemies with the Star Church, which launches a crusade to overthrow the new kingdom. Schera shows up leading the Star Church army, kills everyone left on her poo poo list (and their decendents) then retires from the army to grow potatoes. Eventually she comes up with a disease resistant breed of potatoes that can grow anywhere and don't taste like poo poo, preventing famines, civil unrest, and many wars. In the end she goes back to being a farmer and probably manages to save more people than she ever killed.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 9, 2016

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nah, he literally picked up a mountain and smacked a guy with it.

One of the things I like about Desolate Era is how wonderfully absurd the scale is.

It's common for people to fight by transforming into 3000 meter tall six armed three headed giants. Half the cultivators running around in the early chapters use this ability, including the MC. At one point the MC has a series of fights where he doesn't have a good weapon, so he grows out his fingers (all 30 of them) to several kilometers in length and uses them as swords.

The MC is a reincarnator who keeps tripping over mountains of lost treasures and secret techniques left behind by ancient experts, but so does everyone else who lives long enough to reach his power level. He once competed in a tournament where 2 or 3 of the other semi-finalists had almost the exact same backstory as him.

At his current power level, the MC is carrying around several miniaturized planets that he can use to store his stuff or bludgeon his opponents to death. One of the things he stores on one of those planets is an army of several million Immortals who can assemble, Voltron style, into a Giant Fighting Robot Alien God. Again, this is relatively common in the setting, and he's just found out that his home galaxy is full of third rate scrubs who can't measure up to the real powerhouses in the universe.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

FriggenJ posted:

I still stand by that recommendation! He was torturing his assassins by making them play games they couldn't win even though they're notorious cheaters and feather tickling.

That whole scene was written as a fakeout, he probably quit reading as soon as the tentacles appeared and missed the reveal.

Everyone should read The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Meng Hao's family is the best.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, it has the slaves tag so it is almost certainly bad

I can't speak for the WN since the translator seems to have taken down chapter 2 temporarily, but the first chapter of the manga adaptation starts with the magic sword getting picked up by some slave girl and then killing her captors.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

UberJew posted:

give me general sheridan's cavalry corps sent to a generic fantasy wn after whipping lee

kill all the slavers and forcibly occupy a forest idiots are trying to chop down, usual stuff

The entire 1632 series is available online. It's about a small town full of West Virginian coal miners that get teleported back to 17th century Germany and decide to gently caress up history.

There's magic in the form of sinking the Danish navy with speedboats and homemade aircraft, and dropping napalm on the Spanish Inquisition.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Jackard posted:

Just finished 1632. You said this is a series? Where is the rest?

The series is huge, the reading order can be confusing, and a lot of it is written by different authors so it may not measure up.

List of books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1632_series

Read order: http://www.ericflint.net/index.php/1632-series-reading-order/

:filez: :This site hosts Baen publishing's free CDs, which contain a great many books in a variety of digital formats, the 1635 CD has much of the 1632 series on it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Synthbuttrange posted:

So I read the OP. What the gently caress is a 'cultivator'?

Cultivators are immortal chinese kung-fu wizards, and usually complete assholes. They pursue immortality by meditating and getting into fights.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Paracelsus posted:

ISSTH seem to operate on Calvinball rules at this point.

At this point I'm mostly looking forward to the end because the translator will move over to A Will Eternal full time.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Tamba posted:

Also, since scans for volume 5 are out now
The battle didn't quite go as Potimas expected
Cyborg-Potimas

Please tell me that's a GBE on his arm and there's going to be a BLAME! crossover at some point.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
In Release That Witch, the protagonist discovers a girl with magical fire generating powers. He immediately teaches her smelting and welding and they start producing steam engines and guns. Now he's got her making machining tools so he can have the peasants mass produce steam engines and guns.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lyon posted:

Way of Choices has got to be the best written web novel I've ever come across. Every character feels like they have their own agency and goals, most of them are even likable. There was a lot of build up recently and drat was this not satisfying,

It's a great story, and I like how the only stereotypical Xanxia Protagonist in the story is Zhou Dufu, who everyone agrees was a complete rear end in a top hat and they are happy that he's dead. Su Li tried to act like a Xanxia Protagonist because he thought that fear would keep his family safe, but it seems to have backfired.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Why bother translating something if you're going to leave half of it in Japanese.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I read some WN once that had 10 to 20 footnotes in each chapter explaining the poo poo that they decided not to translate for some reason. Most of the notes consisted of a single word that could have been inserted into the text without forcing people to scroll up and down constantly.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Battles in ISSTH have devolved into Meng Hao waving his hand and making people explode. Occasionally he discovers a new way to wave his hand and instantly kill people who are horribly outmatched.

ZTJ has done a much better job so far of making battles tense and interesting. Sure he's a genius with a comically oversized bag of tricks, but he's constantly facing people who are far above his weight class, he usually has to depend on others to win, and the stakes are often more complicated than win or die so failure is always a possibility. Most of the rear end pulls seem to be preceded by a fair bit of foreshadowing, but still manage to be surprising and interesting in their execution.

The only complaint I've had about the story so far was that I couldn't see why anyone would believe that horrible frame job, but that was finally explained in a way that made sense.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Namtab posted:

There's a novel called taint??

https://lsdell.com/

A young girl is kidnapped and thrown into a demon infested dungeon, becomes "tainted" by demon blood and turned into a monster. After nearly 300 years of constant fighting, with only a telepathic spider to talk to, she finally escapes the dungeon and goes looking for her family and the people who stole her from them.

The protagonist is pretty inhuman and antisocial, terrifyingly powerful and prioritising survival above all else.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Authors making a ridiculous effort to justify polygamy is far less offensive than when authors go to similar lengths to try to justify slavery, rape or pedophilia, but it's still kind of creepy and often detracts from the rest of the story.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Lyon posted:

He won't recognize her necessarily but she realized (at least I hope so otherwise her credibility as a genius will be called into question) when Su Li and the Holy Maiden discussed the umbrella and the sword pool. They will obviously fight and then we will get a poignant scene where she reveals who she is when she is defeated and/or lets him win or something similar.

She realized what? That Chen Changsheng, treacherous scoundrel that he is, killed Xu Sheng and robbed him of his possessions and his deeds? Those two are only geniuses at cultivating, at everything else they're dumb teenagers. People only think they're clever because they keep their mouths shut.

I look forward to whatever narrative contortions keep those two idiots in the dark until the last possible moment.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Desuwa posted:

It felt a bit rough at the beginning but after Ryoka big fuckup I think it found what it wanted to be and improved a lot. Speaking of Ryoke, my biggest complaint with the series is that Ryoka reads like someone's min-maxed special snowflake D&D character with charisma as their dump stat, while everyone else at the metaphorical table is really getting into their roles.

She's a min-maxed special snowflake that managed to piss off the DM.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Desuwa posted:

I don't particularly like reading about the perfect little snowflake who can do everything on her own (except make friends, how tragic) working through her anger issues in another world.

She can't do everything on her own, half the time she tries to do anything she ends up nearly dying and having to be saved by other people.

She knows kung-fu? That's great for fighting people or goblins, less useful against giant wolves or rock monsters.

She's faster than anyone else when she's running barefoot? Not on sharp rocks or snow she isn't.

She rejects the skill system, and the power it offers? Good luck keeping up with people who can break the laws of physics.

She's far from the most likeable character in the story, but it's refreshing to see a web novel featuring an edgy anti-social loner who isn't some infallible demigod.

The story does great job of making her insufferable to the reader and everyone around her and then humbling her until she realizes what a lovely person she is.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Arkeus posted:

Maybe it will change, everyone has hinted it did change. But where I stopped, it basically was confirmed author self insert.

Not unless the author is a huge masochist. It takes a few chapters after the wolf punching, but eventually she gets everything she deserves and a little bit more.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Tollymain posted:

imo talking about female characters 'getting what they deserve' is weird in a lot of places but esp in this thread

I know it's unusual for this thread, but what she deserves doesn't involve anything remotely sexual or even gender specific.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ytlaya posted:

This reminds me of that fanfiction with a D&D wizard in Harry Potter's world.

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is a great read.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 posted:

On the one hand, Milo was not particularly enthusiastic about attending school. But on the other hand, it was pretty clear that this was what the plot demanded of him. Besides, this was his best shot at getting at those cultists, and everything about them said "we have loads and loads of Magic Items and gold." And it wasn't like he had anything else to do. Besides, he was only 300 XP away from a new level, and with it, one step closer to the untold arcane power of 3rd-level spells.

"I suppose I might be interested in attending your school, Deputy Headmistress," Milo said respectfully. Never hurts to flatter powerful NPCs on occasion.

Just read the first chapter and then criticize it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Katreus posted:

If we're reccing fanfic, I'd like to rec something in a similar vein, an original xianxia quest called Forge of Destiny. A quest is basically like a forum game where all the questers control a single character and vote on actions or decisions that the character does, and the Quest Master responds with the results and controls all non-protagonist characters. Like web novels, quest posts can vary in quality.

In this case, I think Forge of Destiny is a lot of fun with minimal 'game' aspects for story post readers, it's well written, and it updates pretty regularly. It's got an interesting world, if influenced by Chinese culture, and side characters feel distinct and have agency / their own adventures. One of my favorite side characters would usually be considered an antagonist in these types of stories (by trope / genre) but her development has been very unique.

Fair warning - there is a bit of tense switch-up and 2nd person / 3rd person mixups in the beginning posts, but it's sorted out as the story continues.

This is really good for what is essentially an elaborate xianxia themed Kill La Kill fanfic.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Arkeus posted:

As for expys, Sun Liling was inspired by Ranma(Ranko), Cai Renxiang by Satsuki (Kill la Kill), Gu Xiulan by Azula (A:TLA), Huang Da by 'harem protagonist creep', and maybe I am forgetting some.

I figured Sun Liling for Ryuko from Kill la Kill, given her rivalry with Cai Renxiang and the fact that her armor is powered by blood.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, thanks, I'm not that used to remembering Chinese names. I didn't see the spoiler before it was apparently put in spoiler bars.

It's kinda funny how Ling Qi realized that it was pretty hilariously terrible how she went around shopping with haughty girl and stuff while Li Suyin was almost getting killed. At least she feels bad about it.

In her defense, there shouldn't have been anyone deliberately targeting those two. They were pretty much the only ones who weren't going around making enemies, and should have been safer on their own.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Since the very beginning of the story everyone has been shown scheming and maneuvering to try and divine the Empress's will, either to earn her favor or plot against her. It was clear to the reader that she never cared about any of their ambitions, and now we see why.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Annointed posted:

I'd honestly find the entire genre more fun if every single time some jackass on a power trip starts trashing the world, every clan goes out of their way to stomp on their dumb heads into the dirt. Not because of honor or reputation, but because they all are sick of having entire countries wiped out because some thin skinned manchild couldn't accept the fact that his fiance from another life is 11 years old and doesn't want to associate with the trillion year old man in a child's body.

In ZTJ, there is a legendary figure who is your stereotypical "kill everyone and consume everything for the sake of power" type cultivator. Everyone admires him for being strong, but they also agreed that he was an rear end in a top hat who made the world a worse place for everyone else and they're glad he's dead.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

(Other World Death Games)

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Metaworld Chronicles is a pretty good english language isekai novel. A 30 year old asian-australian businesswoman wakes up as her teenage self in a parallel, modern magi-tech earth. The story starts off in Sydney but eventually moves to Shanghai and starts dealing with politics between paranoid communist wizards, scheming western mages and arrogant 21st century wuxia clans.

Features excellent, in-depth world building, an interesting magic system, and secondary characters with understandable motives and actual personalities.

I'm posting it here even though it's english language because fully half of the story so far has been set in early 2000's china, but with magic.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I read it because somebody strongly recommended it and its actually really bad. The protagonist is a spoiled rotten Mary Sue. I had read the story up to the point where we are supposed to feel sympathy for her, because she is only getting a massive inheritance from one side of her family and she has to move out of a mansion into a luxurious apartment instead. This is a setting where most people live in absolutely horrible conditions. Nothing is actually a threat to her, not only is she super-powerful, she can summon a god like being when things get really tough. She never has to do anything clever because she can just murder everything. Everybody either completely loves her, or is an enemy. I must admit the setting has some potential for an interesting story, but the protagonist completely ruins it.

Yeah, she's an absurdly lucky protagonist with bullshit magic powers, but I like the way the story handles it and how it fits into the world building. She knows her powers are bullshit, and the people around her know her powers are bullshit. She spends a lot of time in the latter half of the story being poked and prodded by magic-scientists trying to figure out how her bullshit powers work. Many of her friends and allies are just people who recognized that her bullshit powers will turn her into a god when she grows up, and they want to use her or get on her good side. Others worry she'll go insane and have to be put down. The people around her have their own motives and personalities, they aren't simply driven by blind adoration or irrational hatred.

That said, the setting is by far the best part of the story, and well worth the price of admission. The author does a good job of building the world into something that feels substantive, probably because it's based on the real world.

quote:

Her being from another world also barely factors into the plot.
The story starts to pick up when she reaches China, where the isekai stuff nearly gets her executed as a spy since she doesn't act the way a normal teenager should.

quote:

Supposedly, the series leans into her being a psychopath at some point, but it must be really deep into it. I really should have dropped it earlier.
Later on she realizes that her magical powers are affecting her personality, and she has to fight against it. She never goes full murderhobo, and she tries to avoid unnecessary fights. She kills 2 people by choice, but they were terrible people and there were extenuating circumstances. Some of her friends are psychopaths who are doing a good job of hiding it from her.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Darth Walrus posted:

They poisoned him. Poison really, really fucks sacred artists up unless they have specific defences against it. That super-efficient metabolism? Kind of a problem.

The Sword Sage was supposed to be a master of alchemy, with a pill for everything.

One fan theory seems to be that something in the Sacred Valley weakens high level sacred artists, which would also explain why Lindon wasn't simply vaporized when Li Markuth hit him.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

LLSix posted:

It's nice that Orthos is doing something good, but that whole plot just annoys me. Yerin and the Sword Sage savaged the Heaven's Glory School. They wounded all of their Jades to the point that they were too scared to fight Yerin or the Sword Sage remnant again. Yerin and Lindon killed at least 1 Jade. Basically all of the Irons were put in the hospital by Yerin. After being weakened so much the other schools in the Valley should have turn them apart and split the loot. Even if defending gave them enough of an edge to continue existing; they certainly shouldn't have had enough spare resources to gently caress up Wei clan. Especially since some of the sect members would have come from the Wei clan and might have fought with the Wei.

They don't have to do anything more than put a bounty on Lindon's family, there are plenty of people in the valley and their own clan who would sell them out for scraps, especially after Lindon's actions at the tournament.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
He's been cultivating for about a month and a half (not counting the time acceleration chamber) which tends to freak out anyone who knew him before his summer break started. He's supposed to still be in his hundred day body strengthening regimen before he even starts cultivating seriously.

I liked how even the unflappable Senior White was surprised when he was listing out everyone who he had managed to offend in that time period, but there's one group he forgot to mention: the entire population of China, and anyone else who may have seen his movie.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Cai Renxiang and Gan Guangli are Satsuki and Gamagoori from Kill la Kill, prove me wrong.

Sun Liling is Ryuko.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Katreus posted:

Yes, CRX and GG's inspiration was revealed, but note that it 's just an inspiration and NOT an expy. Sun Liling's inspiration was more Ranko Saotome.

Sun Liling fights in clothes made out of her blood and leads an insurrection against the student government.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Log082 posted:

it's also great that shuhang knows this and gets really nervous any time he has a stroke of great fortune without accompanying bad luck.

What he doesn't realize is that every time Copper Trigram tries to avoid the consequences of his own actions by impersonating Shuhang, he ends up catching whatever misfortune was scheduled to hit Shuhang that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I'm left wondering how this civilization gets anything done when no one is allowed to know anything.