Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

wikiHow is a website that features articles that can teach you how to do nearly anything. Unlike other websites, which just throw a big pile of words at you, wikiHow also provides informative illustrations in between those blocks of text. Illustrations like these:

and, my personal favorite because it looks so goddamn goofy, seriously, look at this guy

y:

While the art is obviously fantastic, if you're willing to dig a bit beyond the surface you can also find some... questionable stuff in the articles themselves. For instance, from the (uggggh) How to Read Women's Body Language for Flirting article, there's this bit of information that comes out of left field

quote:

Be mindful of her fingers. Women who are interested will use their fingers to caress erogenous zones on their body, fiddle with jewelry, or play with their glass.

Caressing erogenous zones. When a woman often caresses her lips, neck, or collarbones, she's sending you a signal that she wants you. This is commonly a subconscious way of drawing your attention to these areas, reminding you that she's sexy.

Fiddling with jewelry. When a woman is around someone that she's interested in, her heart beats faster. This makes her feel nervous excitement. As a sort of outlet for that tension, she'll twist her rings, play with her earring, or tug at her necklace. She may also bounce her foot or leg to get rid of the extra energy.

Digging her nose. The nose is connected to nerves in erogenous zones. A girl digging her nose will usually try to conceal it but you should tell her it's beautiful. This bridges the psychological barrier and brings the couple to a higher level of intimacy.

Playing with objects. When a woman strokes the stem of a wine glass or runs her fingers along the rim of her water cup, she's trying to get your attention. If the movements are slow and controlled, she's likely interested. If, however, she's tapping the glass and pursing her lips, she probably can't wait to get out of there.

99 co-authors, one who obviously needed to throw in that women picking their nose is actually super hot, seriously you guys.

The entirety of the more general 5 Ways to Read Body Language is also fantastic, as it reads like someone trying to teach a killer robot how to infiltrate society. In the questions section, however, there is this lil' nugget

quote:

What does it mean when a woman plays with her hair when she is talking to me?

It could mean many things: she's flirting, she likes to keep her hands busy, she's autistic, her hair is in her face, etc

Well, she could be flirting, OR she might be autistic. One of those.

wikiHow is an endless font of dumbass poo poo, much of it accessible via the random article button under the explore tab, so dig some crap up and :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The best piece of WikiHow art is the family of evil supervillains planning their Disney vacation.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Electric Lady posted:

The best piece of WikiHow art is the family of evil supervillains planning their Disney vacation.

Clearly this a family that was the victim of exposure to mutating chemicals and radiation by a cruel, hateful Disney executive. They are obviously plotting their dastardly revenge against innocent amusement-park-going families. It appears that they are planning to insert the same chemicals that turned them into misshapen hellblobs into various foods at Disney! Fiends!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Electric Lady posted:

I'm partial to the (sadly now replaced) pictures for How to Be a Party Animal, all of which featured a dancing cat

Some of the people who do the art for wikihow can't draw people smiling without it looking loving horrifying

jesus christ

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I still don't get how WikiHow has such a... Distinct, art style. Is there a wikihow "How to draw art for wikihow articles" article?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've got to imagine it's a sort of in joke by now, or at least based on a style guide.

It's quite clear that some of the artists are quite talented, it's just used to create something horrifying.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
From the How to Draw article, user submitted pictures

GOKU!

I'm glad they put what it is on there. Because apparently my answer of "graphite smudge" wasn't the artist's intention

Great job, dumbass. You drew your apple upside down

HAYYYYY GUUUAYYYZ!!!!!!1111!1!!1III11!ONE11!!

I... have no words

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Boneitis posted:

I... have no words

Donna Lewis?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Questions from 3 Ways to Survive a Tiger Attack

quote:

What if a tiger pounced on me, knocking me to the ground? Should I stick my arm in it's mouth?

quote:

What so I do if the tigers attack me, and there is no one around, and I'm dying?

quote:

Will one be able to choke a tiger?

and the best question I've been able to find so far, from 3 Ways to Survive a Lion Attack

quote:

What style of fighting is most effective against lions? I'm considering going on safari in four months time and I was considering taking self-defense classes to prepare myself. Do you have any suggestions which form of martial might be most helpful in an encounter with a lion?

gonna karate chop that loving lion in half if it even THINKS of messing with me

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

I still don't get how WikiHow has such a... Distinct, art style. Is there a wikihow "How to draw art for wikihow articles" article?

It looks like traced stock photos, which would explain why the "artists" mostly get proportion and posture right but screw up facial expressions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present the greatest article ever written for WikiHow or anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Not as good as how to post in FYAD.

• Locked thread