Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

In today's episode, we set turtles on fire, and decide to leave the frozen north for the desert we were supposed to go to first anyways.

Episode 27- 'Die Monster!' 'You don't belong in this world...'

I'll have a post about Salamando and his magic up later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Your decision to go back to Matango first was sound, since you can't get from the Ice Country to Kakkara until you've already gone there from Matango - I think specifically because of the undershooting problem.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
But... Santa is still missing!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ryushikaze posted:

In today's episode, we set turtles on fire, and decide to leave the frozen north for the desert we were supposed to go to first anyways.

Episode 27- 'Die Monster!' 'You don't belong in this world...'

I'll have a post about Salamando and his magic up later today.

It's a bit more convoluted, if you go first to the desert you can't enter the dungeon there and you get hints pointing you to Christmas Island. Then you free the fire spirit like you did and can go back.

Of course, later you're pointed back to Christmas Island again to deal with a certain problem.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Your decision to go back to Matango first was sound, since you can't get from the Ice Country to Kakkara until you've already gone there from Matango - I think specifically because of the undershooting problem.

I also knew we were headed into the desert and thus fighting, and we needed to top off our HP/MP.

Miz Kriss posted:

But... Santa is still missing!

Don't worry. No Santa will be left behind.

Libluini posted:

It's a bit more convoluted, if you go first to the desert you can't enter the dungeon there and you get hints pointing you to Christmas Island. Then you free the fire spirit like you did and can go back.

Of course, later you're pointed back to Christmas Island again to deal with a certain problem.

Oh, I know we have the option to do either, but the story flow points you to Kakkara first.

Salamando post shortly.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Okay, new Spirit, new Magic Overview!

This time, it's the Fire Spirit:

SALAMANDER

Official Art

and more recently

In Game Sprite

Salamander, or Salamando as the character limits, is the spirit of fire and thus DAMAGE. Even the girl's spells do damage, in addition to their effects. Well, other than flame Saber, but flame saber. You find him after he has been kidnapped from the flame temple by the Scorpion gang to create an artificial tropical resort town in the middle of the frigid north. Because that makes sense, right?

Girl's spells

Fire Bouquet: 3 MP to cast, damages enemies and throws an attack debuff on them as well.

Blaze Wall: 4 MP to cast, stops enemies in place and deals damage to them.

Flame Saber, 2 MP to cast, Makes weapons fire elemental to hit weaknesses. Yay.

Sprite's spells

Fireball: 2MP to cast, DAMAGE.

Lava Wave: 3 MP to cast, MORE DAMAGE.

Exploder: 4 MP to cast, MORER DAMAGE.

Salamander knows what he's good at, and he plays to that strength.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 13, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Ryushikaze posted:

Fireball: 2MP to cast, DAMAGE.

Lava Wave: 3 MP to cast, MORE DAMAGE.

Exploder: 4 MP to cast, MORER DAMAGE.

Salamander knows what he's good at, and he plays to that strength.

Watching an LP of this has shown me many things I was unaware of, so I was looking forward to this post to see if these spells really were as simple as I thought when I was 10. 10 year old me was, in this one case, correct.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

In today's outing, we explore the desert, deal with indentured servitude and sexual harassment, and I accidentally No Sell a joke as I'm laughing at it.

Episode 28- Trajectories aren't SCIENCE, Tim!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Having freed ourselves from bondage and returning to the frozen north, QB and I stride forward into the Ice Palace, only to nearly be completely felled by that most nefarious of traps... Completely optional non boss enemies!

Episode 29- I like Fiery Death more, but Okay

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There are several reasons not to open chests while fighting Drops:

1) They count as one of the three enemies that can appear at a time, so you'll have fewer Drops to fight.
2) If you're not casting Analyzer on the chests, you'll hit traps (although it was interesting to see the stone trap for the first time ever).
3) Waiting until the Drops are all dead helps you judge whether you can afford the MP to cast Analyzer.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Nidoking posted:

1) They count as one of the three enemies that can appear at a time, so you'll have fewer Drops to fight.
2) If you're not casting Analyzer on the chests, you'll hit traps (although it was interesting to see the stone trap for the first time ever).
3) Waiting until the Drops are all dead helps you judge whether you can afford the MP to cast Analyzer.

Hush up you, I don't need any of your fancy pants common sense or good ideas!

Miz Kriss, we're saving Santa.

Episode 30- Mana Seeds Ruin Christmas

And now for a short hiatus because QB and I need to record more episodes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

You can use Analyzers to dispel traps? Wow, for over 20 years I thought Analyzer was only there to analyze enemies. Kind of weird that I can still learn something about a game I played to death.

Those slime-enemies were the bane of my existence and one of the reasons why I always ended up being overleveled in regions with slime-type enemies in it. Stop doing your mitosis-bullshit, you assholes! :argh:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 19, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Libluini posted:

You can use Analyzers to dispel traps?

I'm pretty sure that's what it does - I cast it on every chest hoping that, one day, it would indicate something other than "OK", but it never did. It wasn't until many years later that I realized I wasn't just getting super-lucky with no chests having traps in them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what it does - I cast it on every chest hoping that, one day, it would indicate something other than "OK", but it never did. It wasn't until many years later that I realized I wasn't just getting super-lucky with no chests having traps in them.

I, instead, used that spell on nearly every enemy. My curiosity was just too strong. For some reason I never targeted a chest, not even on accident. At least this meant I got a lot of mileage out of my healing spells. :v:

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Man, I'm glad I saved watching this episode for a day I was feeling down - hearing QB crack up about Santa just livened my mood so much.

Guess she didn't notice one of the pages the book enemies turned to either, huh?

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Magic Fanatic posted:

Man, I'm glad I saved watching this episode for a day I was feeling down - hearing QB crack up about Santa just livened my mood so much.

Guess she didn't notice one of the pages the book enemies turned to either, huh?

No, but to be fair, we did not give them much of a chance to show off that page. It was only on screen for a second, and we were too focused on KILLING IT DEAD.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey folks. Regular updates should resume next week, since I've finally gotten around to editing the last recording session.

Until then, have a Post on all the various swords, spears, axes and whatnots we've encountered in this thread so far. As I get new weapon orbs and forge new weapons, I'll post updates with additional information.
Remember, all of these attributes change when you upgrade a weapon, and do not stack. So for example, the Moogle Claws do not keep the Power Glove's extra effectiveness against insects and fish.

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 1- All the poo poo we have so far!

Every weapon Category has 8 weapon orbs and 9 weapons of that type, except the Sword because gimmicks. We'll get to that WAY at the end of the game.

SWORDS are usually the third strongest weapon at a given level, and attack quickly, with good accuracy. Swords can cut vegetation.

Rusty Sword

ATK 3 : Pulled from the stone at the base of the cliff, it has no special attributes.

Broad Sword

ATK 8: Orb recieved from the Mantis ant, the first boss of the game. Called the Cutlass in the iOS remake. Says it Raises Agility/Evade%, it raises Agil by a whopping 1.

Herald Sword

ATK 14: Orb Found in Pandoran Treasury, or in a catchup chest in the Moogle Village. Extra damage against slimes and lizards.

Claymore

ATK 20: Orb received from the Great Viper. Stronger against insects.

AXES knock down obstacles, like vegetation and small rocks. Roughly on par damage wise with Axes, but have longer attack animations once charged.

Watt's Axe

ATK 4: Pay Watts 100G to get this Sweet Axe that got held a little too close to the rusty Mana sword.

Lode Axe

ATK 11: Orb received from the Fire Gigas. Deals extra damage to plants and fish. Why? I don't know.

Stout Axe

ATK 16: Orb found in the Moogle Village. Says it increases Con by 2. It's even lying about this paltry sum and increases it only by 1 instead.

SPEARS tend to be the most powerful weapons along with axes, more accurate, but with longer animation windups when charged.

Spear

ATK 4: Given to you by Luka. It stabs good.

Heavy Spear

ATK 11: Orb recieved from the Tropicallo. Has no special ability

Sprite's Spear

ATK 16: Found in the Pandoran Treasury, or in Santa's house if you miss the first one. Randomly applies Balloon status to enemies.

Partisan

ATK 23: Found in Santa's House. Strong versus Slimes and Lizards.

GLOVES tend to be a point or two weaker than the Sword, but very accurate, with very little windup on their charge attack animations.

Spike Knuckle

ATK 2: The girl comes wearing these. She's ready to coldcock a bitch if needed.

Power Glove

ATK 6: Recieved from the Biting Lizard (You know, the rear end in a top hat lizard that eats you). Contrary to reports, it is not 'so bad.' Effective vs Insects.

Moogle Claws

ATK 11: Found in the Moogle Village. Randomly KOs enemies, this can be a boon or bane, depending on if the enemy can still be hit while in their KO pose

Chakra Hand

ATK 17: Found in the temple of Ice. Ups Int and Wis by 1. Boring, but effective.

WHIPS are the longest Melee weapon, longer than some ranged weapons, whips have the special ability to drag the party between posts on the map. Not technically a long range weapon, as it does not seem to ignore the Z axis like the proper ranged weapons can.

Whip

ATK 2: In a chest right after defeating Elinee's tiger pet. No added abilities.

Black Whip

ATK 6: Orb found in a chest in the Scorpion Army ship. Randomly inflicts slow on foes.

Backhand Whip

ATK 12: Jema frabjously gives you this orb after beating the Jabberwocky. Gives you +1 Agi. Not useless, but underwhelming.

Chain Whip

ATK- Recieved from fighting Mech Rider in the desert. Extra damage to slimes and lizards.

BOWS are much shorter range than you'd expect, and their hitbox is a bit persnickity but they hit flying enemies, ignore the Z-axis, and have no windup time for charge attacks. There's also only art for the Chobin's bow, as far as I can find.

Chobin's Bow

ATK 3: Given to you by the dwarf elder. Whee...

Short Bow
ATK 8: Don't get crushed by Wall Face and you get this orb. Still no special powers

Long Bow
ATK 14: Received from going Snicker-Snack on the Jabberwocky. Strong vs animals and beasts.

Great Bow
ATK 20: Recieved from Boreal Face. Randomly confuses enemies.

BOOMERANGS, which switch between being a boomerang, flying disc, throwing axe, and more depending on the level, are proper ranged weapons, which means they can hit enemies even if they are on a different Z-plane than the heroes. Has a slight windup for charge attacks, but much better hitbox for the projectile.

Boomerang

ATK 2: The sprite starts with this.

Chakram

ATK 6: Orb recieved from Spikey Tiger. Strong against Slimes and Lizards. Good for all your warrior princess needs.

Lode Boomerang

ATK 12: Orb received from spring beak. Slows enemies down. You would slow down too if this clonked into you at speed.

Rising Sun

ATK 17: Recieved from Santa The frost Gigas. No special effects.

JAVELINS are the last weapon type you get, almost as an afterthought. Undine just sort of goes "Oh, uh, Here." Still, ranged weapon.

Pole Dart

ATK 2: Undine hands it over when you acquire her as a spirit.

Javelin

ATK 6: Orb received from Killing Kilroy. No additional effects

Light Trident

ATK 12: Orb Found in Fung Castle. Strong vs Animals and Beasts.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 13, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

In today's adventure, we trade out the frigid north for the burning sands... eventually.

Episode 31- That Wood Paneling is so Sexy

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

In today's episode, we finish the Fire Temple, Icebox gets Soul Suplexed, and we move on towards the Empire!

Episode 32- His Soul was Actually Suplexed out of his Body

And since we upgrade weapons in this episode, it's time for the Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 2- Fire Palace Acquisitions

Battle Axe

ATK 23: Found in a chest in the Fire Palace. Effective verse plants and fish.

Lode Javelin

ATK 17: Received from the Minotaur after counter-suplexing its soul. Balloons enemies.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 17, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

In today's episode we arrive in southtown, meet some friends, trek south through the imperial sewers to northtown, and in the end just freeze up once we try and introduce ourselves to the resistance.

Episode 33- The Snowman Killed Secret of Mana

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just wanted to chime in to say I am enjoying this LP a lot. I had this game for the SNES when it came out, I also still have my cart which I think is worth about £50 or something now. It's a great game with some great loving music in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNoHt458uIo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I like this LP too. Hits me in all the nostalgic feels, considering I played Secret of Mana to death multiple times. All weapons and magic to maximum power, multiple times. :shepface: I just love this dumb game.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I never actually beat this game, though I have started new games a lot, I look forward to actually seeing how this ends.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Libluini posted:

Yeah, I like this LP too. Hits me in all the nostalgic feels, considering I played Secret of Mana to death multiple times. All weapons and magic to maximum power, multiple times. :shepface: I just love this dumb game.

Magic to Max, weapons not so much. The Penultimate weapons are far better then the ultimate in basically every category.

gatesealer posted:

I never actually beat this game, though I have started new games a lot, I look forward to actually seeing how this ends.

We're about halfway done, so keep watching this space!

That said, in this episode, we do NOT break the game, make up lost progress, and discuss deep and meaningful character motivation.

Episode 34 - I'm here to Beat Things up

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The leader of the resistance has the same name as the nickname my family gives me. I don't know how to feel about this.

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 25, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ryushikaze posted:

Magic to Max, weapons not so much. The Penultimate weapons are far better then the ultimate in basically every category.

Maybe, but at that point I was generally ludicrously overleveled enough I stopped caring. As long as the ultimate weapons weren't making my precious numbers go down, I was satisfied.

Critic of the Dawn
Jun 5, 2011

Critic of the Dawn used Whine at the GM.
You gain a level!
I played this game to death as a kid myself.

Regarding that wonderful bug you found, I am pretty sure that it probably is exclusive to multiplayer. My theory is that being frostied temporarily disables player 1's inputs, and when you enter a cutscene the game needs input from player 1 to continue. This actually can't happen in single player, as your inputs are disabled when you are frostied so you can't actually transition between maps.

Also, I may have giggled just a bit at the following:

:j: Oh look, an inn!
:v: Good, we need to rest. Don't save though! It's not like anything is going to go horribly horribly wrong!

soon...

:supaburn::supaburn:

later...

:v: I sure am glad we got past that sewer level without the game collapsing spectacularly this time!
:j: Yeah, that was a huge pain, especially having to re-purchase and equip all that gear!
:v: Check out this expensive tiger stuff which we have to sell all our old stuff to even afford!
:j: Hey, cool! Oh look, an inn!
:downsgun: No time for that! Dungeon NOW! It's not like anything is going to go horribly horribly wrong... again!

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Miz Kriss, you should be proud that your name inspired revolution across this fictional land! Take up arms and fight!

Critic of the Dawn posted:

I played this game to death as a kid myself.

Regarding that wonderful bug you found, I am pretty sure that it probably is exclusive to multiplayer. My theory is that being frostied temporarily disables player 1's inputs, and when you enter a cutscene the game needs input from player 1 to continue. This actually can't happen in single player, as your inputs are disabled when you are frostied so you can't actually transition between maps.

Also, I may have giggled just a bit at the following:

:j: Oh look, an inn!
:v: Good, we need to rest. Don't save though! It's not like anything is going to go horribly horribly wrong!

soon...

:supaburn::supaburn:

later...

:v: I sure am glad we got past that sewer level without the game collapsing spectacularly this time!
:j: Yeah, that was a huge pain, especially having to re-purchase and equip all that gear!
:v: Check out this expensive tiger stuff which we have to sell all our old stuff to even afford!
:j: Hey, cool! Oh look, an inn!
:downsgun: No time for that! Dungeon NOW! It's not like anything is going to go horribly horribly wrong... again!

You may rest easy, Critic, for indeed, nothing goes horribly wrong this episode! We retreat to take better stock of our situation and improve our chances of survival. You know, with supplies.

Episode 35 - Take the Old Lady as a Human Shield!

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 1, 2017

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Due to circumstances preventing recordings, I'm slowing down the release of episodes to one a week for the moment. Now, you may have noticed that last episode I picked up two new Weapon orbs and immediately ran to Watts and his stupid sexy Axe to go turn them into weapon upgrades. That means it's time for another Weapon Roundup!

Secret of Mana Weapons Roster Part 3- NorthTown Ruins Exterior

Halberd

ATK 29: Found on the outside of the Northtown Ruins. Chance of confusing enemies.

Bow of Hope

ATK 27: Found on the outside of the Northtown Ruins. Extra damage versus evil and undead enemies.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hey everyone!

In today's episode, we delve deep into the ruins, and notice new and interesting things about our surroundings!

Episode 36- Why is it Suddenly Cloudy in Here

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Today it's a one-two punch as we fight both the rear end in a top hat Wall Boss mark 2, and the Vampire.

gently caress the vampire.

Episode 37- It Seems that my Spinal Cord has been Severed

And now begins another short hiatus as I head off for a vacation. Hopefully new episodes will resume in April, but we shall see.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Hello all, just jumping in to say the LP isn't dead, just stalled due to technical issues. We actually attempted to record last night, played like 15 minutes, realized our sound cut out at 10 minutes when the sound card hit an error and our video recording apparently cut out after several seconds...

We're going to record again soon, just know that there is going to be a very small jump in the plot from where we were, and we are going to skip over what can perhaps very generously called a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Good luck goon

• Locked thread