Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

Before he assumed a new name, Clint was just another street rat, forced into a life of crime simply because he had nowhere else to go. And it was fun, for a while, until the group he ran with took the lion's share of the payoff on one of their jobs, while Clint got peanuts. So instead of wasting his life, he took on the name Quentin Verill and tried his hand at being a "legitimate" trader. That...did not end well, to put it mildly. So when he got a job offer from these Baraccai people, he jumped at it. After all, it's not like he has anywhere else to go.

"If we happen to 'find' detailed information on McClellan Factors's operations, would we be paid extra for it?" He really wanted to also ask if they would have any support if the Arkesh Spacers actually did go after them, but he also really did not want to hear the likely answer.

pre:
Quentin Verill
CR: 19,250
Str 4 (-1), Dex 8 (+0), End 5 (-1), Int 9 (+1), Edu 5 (-1), Soc 10 (+1)

Athletics 1, Broker 1, Carouse 0, Deception 0, Gambler 2, Gun Combat 0, Melee (blades) 1,
Persuade 1, Recon 0, Stealth 3, Streetwise 2

Stuff:
Stunner (TL12, 10m, 3D, Mag 100, Stun, Zero-G)
Cutlass (Melee, 3D)
Cloth Armor (TL10, Protection +8)
Ship Shares x3
Radio Transceiver (TL10, Range 500km, Computer/0)

Enemies:
Jenny Steiger (Ex, used to work with her back when Quentin was still a thief. She was not 
amused by Quentin leaving her behind to become a free trader.)

Lukaz Anov (Big time merchant, was also robbed by the group Quentin was working with before
becoming a trader. Probably still mad about that.)

Arkesh Spacers (The reason Quentin isn't still a trader, thanks to them blowing up his old ship.
They aren't too fond of Quentin either.)
Taking Broker 1 from the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

"To success and not getting blown up by space pirates. Again. Looks like we should start at either Bantral or Kydde. Kydde puts us farther away from McClellan Factors, but Bantral is a closer starting point, giving us more time to spend on the actual mission. Personally, I don't really mind where we start. So, who wants to come with me to take a quick look around to see what cargo is available?"

Crew roster looks good, now we just need to figure out what cargo we should take with us. Also, I'm not taking the last skill in the explorer package because I already have Stealth 3.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
We have 157,250 credits between the five four of us, so here's what we can afford to take 19 tons of, how much that'd cost, and the modifiers for selling them to eiher Bantral or Kydde, since one of them is probably going to be our starting point.

Plastics/Chemicals (3750 > 71,250) Bantral: -5, Kydde: -3
Food/Drink (375 > 7,125) Bantral: -4, Kydde: -3
Nickel/Iron (800 > 15,200) Bantral: +3, Kydde: +0
Sloats (7,000 > 133,000) Bantral: -2, Kydde: -2
cloth (1,650 > 31,350) Both: -7, we are not taking the seasilk cloth
Wood (400 > 7,600) Bantral: -5, Kydde: -6
Parasaffron (5,100 > 96,900) Both: +0

Nickel/Iron ore is the only trade good with a positive modifier, and that's if we go to Bantral. With an average roll, I could sell 19 tons of it for 22,800 credits, or a profit of 7,600 credits. This is the safest option to us (and I could even pay the cost of the cargo myself), but we could also take the parasaffron into the unknown with us, since it only has a penalty to sell to desert worlds, and gets a bonus to high population, rich, or poor worlds. I'm actually tempted to take that risk, since 7,600 credits isn't much to get excited about, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a plan first.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

"Just checked the market, we could sell our cargo for a tidy sum, but I think we could get a better price. No reward without some risk, right?" As long as that risk didn't get you shot at, anyways.

Checking how much we'd get for the parasaffron, we could sell it for 110% value at 125,400 credits, or a profit of 28,500. However, this roll was barely above average and no modifiers besides my Broker skill was used. So unless you guys wants to just sell it now, I'm planning on holding off and waiting for a better profit.

Spent my week towards increasing Deception, still have 7 more weeks to go to get it to rank 1.

Oh yeah, and we should be keeping track of how much money the group has. After buying the parasaffron, we're at 60,350 credits.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

"They're fluffy, well-mannered pigs. Of course they'll sell, who wouldn't want a pet like them? Also, I think I heard they taste good too, so even people who don't want a pet might like them." Quentin stares at one of the pigs before turning back to Henry. "Maybe we shouldn't sell to those kinds of people, actually."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

"Well, it's not like we can just leave them to die. Just...try not to get our ship stuck too."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

"You know, not to disappoint our gunners, but I think perhaps it'd be best to avoid a shoot-out this time. If they are still heavily damaged from before, then they may be sober enough to see reason." Quentin gives a sheepish shrug "...or we could hail them, pretend to want to negotiate, and then blast them. I can go either way, honestly."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

Quentin gives a restrained fist pump when the unknown ship decides to contact them first. The fact they wanted to talk first before coming in guns blazing said a lot. Scans weren't picking up any useful information, like how damaged the other ship is, but hopefully their own scans were just as useless. After waiting a moment for the error message to quiet down, Quentin answers the hail in the most self-assured voice he can muster. "Unknown vessel, this is the Francis Drake, state your intentions. If you continue your approach, our vessels will be forced to open fire." Sure, the Arcadian was in no shape to fight, but hopefully the enemy was still too far to confirm that for themselves. No one is eager to get into a two-on-one, even if one of your opponents is still damaged.

Lying about Arcadia's ability to fight. Got a 5, so uh maybe those gunners are going to earn their pay?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

poo poo, that's not good. They just made contact with some highly aggressive backwater "empire". Getting out of this without fighting would be impossible without abandoning the Arcadian to its fate. Promises of trade were probably meaningless to them, and they probably had too much pride and too little experience to be intimidated. Which left one option: hit them first. "This is the Francis Drake, in order to help foster goodwill between the great people of the Spaceborne Belgardian Sojourn and McClellan Factor's, we will comply with your request. You may approach." Turning off the comms, Quentin turns to the rest of the crew. "As soon as they get close, we blast 'em. And if they think something is wrong and don't get close, we still blast 'em. And if I have to say 'Spaceborne Belgardian Sojourn' with a straight face one more time, we're definitely blasting 'em. Any objections?"

Luring the other ship closer to our guns, got a 7.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

Once the enemy ship gets close enough, Quentin activates the ship's intercomm. "All guns, prepare to fire. Full missile salvo first, then beams. Let's make this count!" This plan could backfire horribly if they didn't manage to do enough damage in one strike, as the Francis Drake had to remain still in order to draw them in, making them just as easy targets. Well, bit late to get paranoid now. "Fire!"

Since I have no space combat skills, Hypnobeard is letting me control the gunners for now. As soon as they are in short range, we're going to open up with a salvo of six missiles first in order to take out their armor, then use beams to try to get critical hits. DM for the beam turrets should be +1 from short range, +4 from Beam Laser, +2 from Gunner's skill, so +7 in total. Missiles get up to +5 if all six make it to the enemy ship, although I don't know if they have enough time to deploy countermeasures or not.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Missile attack roll: 11
Beam attack 1 and 2: 12 and 14, so all attacks hit.

Missile damage: 17*3 = 51 damage.
Beam damage: 8 and 9 thanks to rolling low, however the second beam hit had an effect of 6, so if it does any damage past armor it is also a critical hit.

Critical hit location: Armor. Edit: Apparently they don't have armor, so rerolled the crit location

Actual Crit Location: Crew. Random guy on their ship takes 1d6 damage.

And three more crits from damage done: One to Weapons, two to Hull, so one of their weapons suffers a bane when used, and they take 8 more damage to Hull.

Astus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Quentin Verill

As explosions ripple across the other ship and the Francis Drake starts to move again, Quentin contacts the representatives from the Spaceborne Belgardian Sojourn. "Enemy vessel, now would be a great time to surrender. We still have plenty more missiles in stock. You have five minutes to comply."

• Locked thread