Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Beyond recognition huh?

Nice to see Hifumi getting a cameo here after the first game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Poor Mikan, can't catch a break.

And NOOOOOOOO, FAT BYAKUYA!!!!!!!!

Once Monokuma confirms the death, I'll update the running tally on the board.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FoolyCharged posted:

Yakuza is the only one capable of being in the bathroom during the party, everyone else is accounted for.

FoolyCharged posted:

Sword chick is still missing

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
goodnight sweet prince

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

She was around at the start of the party when the bathroom was already occupied

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Welp, my guess was way off. I figured Byakuya was going to be the first killer, he was acting way too heroic. It's kind of interesting that one of the few familiar faces got knocked off first.
The night vision goggles and the "beyond recognition" thing are pretty suspicious. It would've been tough to move his body under the table without leaving an obvious blood trail, and without being heard. I have some wildly unlikely theories, but those can wait for the investigation stage.
Current suspects: Sword Girl, Yakuza Brat, Mechanic Dude, Poop Guy (just cause he'd be strong enough to heft around that sack of lard), the Large Boy himself (:tinfoil:), and Steve cause gently caress that guy

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

FoolyCharged posted:

She was around at the start of the party when the bathroom was already occupied

We don't know for sure that the bathroom was occupied for the entire time, do we? We just know it was occupied the two times we checked.

LonelyMudkip posted:

Welp, my guess was way off. I figured Byakuya was going to be the first killer, he was acting way too heroic. It's kind of interesting that one of the few familiar faces got knocked off first.
The night vision goggles and the "beyond recognition" thing are pretty suspicious. It would've been tough to move his body under the table without leaving an obvious blood trail, and without being heard. I have some wildly unlikely theories, but those can wait for the investigation stage.
Current suspects: Sword Girl, Yakuza Brat, Mechanic Dude, Poop Guy (just cause he'd be strong enough to heft around that sack of lard), the Large Boy himself (:tinfoil:), and Steve cause gently caress that guy

The night vision goggles would be how the killer could find Byakuya in the dark. They would wait for him to move to that specific spot, kill him, and roll him under there. They would ditch the goggles and navigate by memory back to the breakers.

The "beyond recognition" thing, the suitcase, and his entire attitude makes Byakuya himself suspect, though. He could have hid the body there ahead of time, turned off the lights, poured some blood on the body, and escaped to who knows where. But then, whose body is it? (I doubt it would be Hifumi. This is the tutorial trial, remember?)

Joke speculation: Byakuya ate the kebabs because he knew he was going to "die". Can't miss out on the Ultimate Chef's cooking.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

It almost looks like Byakuya got stabbed under the table, instead of anyone moving him around after he died.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
My personal theory is that Byakuya isn't dead. He's just passed out in a puddle of Pepto-Bismol after all the food he ate.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

He died from what he enjoyed the most: Eating too much. That red stuff? Pasta, totally.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
Oh no, the 'recurring' character is the first to die. You better watch out, Nagito.

That knife looks a bit weird, is it missing the handle?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I guess we found that knife that was unacounted for, but the question is: who found it first?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Are those night vision goggles next to the body, or something else?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

That looks to be the case. The question is were they byakayu's or his killer's?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

What is that green stuff over the knife and that strap?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Looking at the scene, the green stuff on the handle looks similar to the stuff on the broken table leg, was the knife hidden in there?

But this is weird, the scene shows actual red blood (rather than Pepto-Bloodsmol) except on the blade its self and on his stomach it looks like.

The big question is how did he get down there? My theory right now is that Fat Togomi had night-vision goggles for just this kind of instance, saw someone pulling a knife and tried to wrestle them only to get shanked. right now no one is above suspicion. you have three people MIA from the room (Yakuza Dude, Sword Chick and Gamer Gal) so they could have tripped the lights, but considering how fast this had to go down, I'm not sure they could have done it and then scrammed from the room. Though if that was the cast you'd expect the murder to be covered in blood.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I hate to interrupt speculation but I had two things regarding the image and Hajime's thoughts at the end that I felt like I should mention.

First, the blood is pink, it's merely the lighting in the shot. The colors will become much clearer when we start investigating. Don't worry, this game still has plenty of Pepto Bismol.

Second, I did a little bit of formatting on the text (I do this in a number of places) to add what I thought was a tiny bit of suspense but I may have accidentally caused people to read into it more than I intended. See, the game's text displays Hajime's final thoughts like this:

As you can see, that final line isn't split up like I had it. The "beyond recognition" part is not given any special callout or drawn against a black screen or anything. My interpretation of the remark is simply that Hajime is horrified by what he sees there compared to when Byakuya was alive.

I'll outright say that the "beyond recognition" line is not supposed to be a foreshadowed indication that the body is fake and Byakuya is still alive or anything. You shouldn't read into the beyond recognition part too much just because of the way I formatted the text. Sorry about that. I'm going to go back and fix it to just be on one line like the game had it originally and I'll try and avoid accidentally emphasizing innocuous stuff like that in the future.

I don't intend to cut off speculation in the future but since the second thing was my own fault I felt like I should at least clarify it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It was something of a poor attempt at humor here as well. I should have added on 'but there's no way Hifumi's corpse would have fit into that tiny box' or something.

I mean I'm fully expecting a three-fold return on characters (Byakuya and Naegi are back, so why not someone else?) but it would be something of a stretch for Hifumi's corpse to be bodyswapped with FaTogami's considering that Hifumi was a victim in the first game. That would have been a lot of effort, even for New Byakuya.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Hmm... that green strip coming from the table looks like a piece of tape stuck to the underside.

AHA! The knife was taped to the underside of the table, the person who put it there was also the one who killed the lights, and used the opportunity to off Togami!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Tombot posted:

I guess we found that knife that was unacounted for, but the question is: who found it first?

The unaccounted for item was a skewer, not a knife.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Jimmy4400nav posted:

right now no one is above suspicion. you have three people MIA from the room (Yakuza Dude, Sword Chick and Gamer Gal) so they could have tripped the lights, but considering how fast this had to go down, I'm not sure they could have done it and then scrammed from the room. Though if that was the cast you'd expect the murder to be covered in blood.

If anything I've learned from these sorts of investigations, if you're not present at the scene of the crime, you are clear as a suspect. Red herrings and all of that.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
I think the goggles could belong to Byakuya, he got the boxes from the shop, I think they mentioned that night vision goggles were available there too. I guess the key to the other box was not the only thing he was carrying around in his personal box.

When the lights went out, Byakuya put on the goggles, saw the potential killer get under the table and, like the great protector he was, darted after them. So who could have hidden the knife under the table, probably tape it to the underside? Who was alone in the building for hours? drat it Tutorial-Boy! Was your friendliness only a facade?

I should better wait with accusations untill after the clue hunt.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Byaku...ya...?
: Wh-Why is Byakuya...?
: N-No...
: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just stood there, horrified, as showers of screams rang out behind me...as I gazed quietly at the body of my former friend.

: ...Wh-Why!?
: WHAT IS THIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS!?!?
: GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
: Th-This... It's impossible...!
: Don't mess with me! This must be some kind of mistake!
: This...can't be real blood, right? It's gotta be something like jam or sauce... C-C-Cause...if not, th-this...
: ...A-blub-blub-blub-blub!

: Good gracious... Things quickly took a turn for the worse...
: My my, now this is interesting!
: On this tropical island known as Jabberwock Island, the very first murder has finally taken place!
: M-Murder...?

: H-Hold on! Then, does this mean...!?
: Puhuhu... Of course...
: Byakuya...was killed by one of you.
: Wha-...!?
: If you look at the body, you can tell instantly. He was obvious murdered.

: Look, he has such a horrible expression on his face, don'tcha think...? A face filled with regret that his life was ended by force, all thanks to someone else's selfish desires... To have a dying face such as this...
: If this isn't murder, then what the heck could it be?

: Byakuya was most likely sacrificed...by someone who reaaaaaally wanted to leave this island.
: L-Lies... It's all lies! You're lying that he was murdered!

"Murdered"... The moment I screamed that word... A thick, muddy feeling of despair swelled within my body. Which means...that...that I've accepted the fact that Byakuya was murdered.

: Wh-What...is this!?

: I-Is that...really Byakuya?
: Why...why did this happen? Why...Byakuya?
: I see, I see... It appears Fuyuhiko is the only one who isn't here...
: Sooo, in the spirit of keeping everyone on the same page, how about we do this the usual way!?

Music fades out.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: A body has been discovered! Now then, after a certain amount of time has passed, the class trial will begin!

: Class...trial...?
: I've already explained this to you, right? If one of you gets murdered, the rest of you have to debate who you think is the blackened.
: Y-You're telling us...to figure out who the killer is...?

: That's right! From this point on, you guys must investigate and uncover the blackened culprit!
: It can't be... Someone actually killed... There's no way!
: Puhuhu, if you make an outburst like that, you'll end up being a suspect...
: I-I won't believe it... One of us killed Byakuya... There's no way...something as hopeless as that would ever happen!
: If you're actually thinking that way, it means you guys are already being conned by the killer.

: C'mon, c'mon! Let's hurry up and begin! An impassioned, life risking battle between you guys and the blackened! Annnnd...it's already started! It started the moment one of you plotted to kill someone!
: H-Hey! What are you saying!?

: Everyone! Please! You cannot, you should not, believe what Monokuma says!
: No matter how much you interfere...there is only ever one truth.
: On my grandfather's name!
: You have a grandpa!?
: On my grandfather's grave!
: Grave? Your grandpa is dead? What happened to him!?
: On my grandfather's plane!
: What happened to your grandpa!? Did his plane crash!?
: Hmmm...I don't even know where to begin... At this rate...

: You ain't my comedy partner anymore!
: UGYAAAAAAH! it hurts so much when you hit me with a charging corkscrew attack!

: Didja see that!? This stunning display of power! Defy your big brother and I will show you no mercy! I will harden my heart and teach you a lesson you won't soon forget!

: Ugh...if only I had my Magic Stick... I'd be able to fight back against Monokuma...
: Yeah, yeah, whatever. Let's just leave the whiny rabbit loser alone and get on with the investigation. Now then...in the spirit of lovey doubt and dovey deception, put your heart and soul into investigating!
: Yahooooo! I wish you the best of luck! *leaves*

And with that, Monokuma vanished, leaving those of us who were grief-stricken alone with our despair...

: Wh-What does this mean...? I don't understand this at all...!
: A search for Byakuya's killer... Why did it turn out like this...!?
: Ugh... Gimme a break... Why do I...have to be involved in this horrible situation...?
: U-Um... You can't doubt each other... Cuz...you're all friends...

: But Mr. Ham Hands really did get killed, right? And if we don't find out who the killer is, we're all gonna get killed, right?
: That being said, I cannot abide by this! Now that I have finally made friends...there is no way I can doubt them...!
: Seriously? Did you even listen to what I said? It doesn't matter if you can "abide" by this or not... We gotta do this to survive, right? Then we have no choice but to do it.
: Nooooooo! Friends doubting friends is a major no-no!
: Argh! Shut up! Just go away already, you useless piece of trash!
: Ha-wa-wa! Threats are scary!

: ...Do we...really have to do it...?
: No...I don't want to do something like that...
: I don't want to do it...either! I-It sounds so scary!

: However, it is just as Hiyoko said. If we're going to get killed for not doing it...then we must do it.
: ...But still...I can't believe one of us killed Byakuya... There's no way I can believe it...there's no way... So, for that reason......

: I'll do it! I'll investigate Byakuya's death... I will do my best to prove there is no killer among us. There's no need to deceive or doubt each other. What we need to fight is not ourselves...
: ...but that which is trying to crush us... This despair!

This hopeless reality... That's the real enemy we need to fight... If I'm going to survive this...then I have to fight it.

: Ah, before you start, can I say something?

: In closed-circle detective games, the player usually has to decide on who's going to guard the crime scene... What should we do?
: Oh yeah, it would be bad if the killer destroyed the evidence and got away with it.
: D-Destroyed the evidence...?

: Look, over there! That big, bulky, brawny guy is perfect for the guard job!
: ...
: O-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! *leaves*
: Wh-What the heck? What happened?
: That guy...has a sensitive heart, despite his looks...
: ...I-Is that what that means?

: Um...I can be the one who watches the crime scene... I don't have enough confidence to investigate the body...and it's not like I have the brains either... I'll just stay by Byakuya's side. That's the least I can do. That's what guard duty is, right?
: M-Mahiru......
: U-Um... Um!

: I-I'll do my best! I'll do my very best...to not get in your way!
: I-I have medical training so i-if it's not too much trouble, I can perform an autopsy... Please.
: So you're going to stay as well... Is that okay?

: And what, specifically, should we be doing now? I have nooooooo idea!
: It's pretty obvious we're all just amateurs. Going through each grain of sand on a beach just to find a clue would be a waste of time. The only ones who can do that are the police... There's no way amateurs like us would be able to do that.
: So...let's first rely on our intuition. We'll start from there and prove that none of us could have killed Byakuya.
: But...to perform an autopsy on your friend... How cruel...
: But...I have no choice, right? There's no way I could...do something, right?

: I-I won't believe it... Byakuya got killed... I don't believe that at all......
: F-Fine...I'm in...
: If we are to survive...this is our only path.
: Something like this...is the only thing we can do in order to stay alive...

Music fades out.

Finding out who the killer is... That's our only hope for survival... Something like this...is hope...?

: Even so...I still gotta do it.

: TA-DAAAA! You thought it was time for the investigation, buuuuut...

: ...It's the Monokuma File!
: Just as I thought, you amateurs need this, right?
: Wh-What the hell...is a Monokuma File...?

: Jeez, explaining the rules all the time reaaaaally breaks my bones...
: Well, it's not like I have bones in the first place... Like, don't even make me say such lame jokes!

: Let's seeeee...the Monokuma File contains precise and detailed information regarding the dead body.
: I've brought it to ya so you guys can smoothly proceed with the investigation. I'm such a nice guy!
: I'm so nice I wanna be known as the Mother Teresa of the Mascot World!

: "Nice," you say... You're just a selfish meanie!
: My my my...Monomi the Meaningless Mascot, you're still here?
: Don't put me in the meaningless mascot genre!

: C'mon, let's go! Your turn is already up! Hurry up and get the hell outta here with me! *leaves*
: Ouchie! Don't pull my ears! They're gonna come off! *leaves*

They're...finally gone...

: The Monokuma File, huh...?

Anyway, I guess I should look it over just in case.

CAUSE OF DEATH

-The victim's body was discovered in the dining hall of the old building near the Hotel Mirai.

-The estimated time of death is 11:30 p.m.

-The victim was repeatedly stabbed over ten times between the throat and abdominal region, resulting in death.

-Aside from that, the body has no other external injuries, and no chemicals such as poison were detected.

So...Byakuya is really dead...

drat it... You promised there wouldn't even be one victim. Why'd you end up being one...? And now...I'll never know what you were going to say to me.

: I cannot talk to others about my past... I suspect that my skeptical nature is partly to blame.
: Distrusting others...and being distrusted in turn... For a long time, my life has been a living hell. It was inevitable that I would end up this way.

In the end...what did he even mean? Could it be...?

: Even so...if there really is a traitor, isn't that gosh darn awful? Pretending to be your ally and tricking you guys... It makes sense for someone like that to get killed, right?

A traitor...?

No way... Just because he said a lot of serious things, it doesn't mean he was the traitor... Wh-What am I thinking?

Music fades out.

Anyway...we need to carefully examine everything. That's right...I need to do it... If we're gonna survive this, we need to do it.

...I have to prepare myself for the worst.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I've created a second tab on the dead pool that tracks current victims and peoples points. Right now 8 of us earned a point for predicting Fat Byakuya's death.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Stabbed multiple times in the throat and chest. I sincerely doubt anyone (Outside of Nekomaru and maybe Akane) could have moved Togami's body anywhere, so chances are he died under that table. What he was doing under that table... gently caress if I know, but it does seems like he would have to been face down under the table at the time of death.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The Monokuma File looks surprisingly high tech, at least compared to last game. Or maybe I'm just remembering the previous Monokuma Files wrong.

I dislike Hiyoko, but I kinda respect she didn't immediately start denying Monokuma's claims of murder. I mean, given the circumstances, it really is one of the only logical conclusions to be drawn...

And Fuyuhiko continues to be absent for this chapter. Hopefully this changes next update, and also hopefully he has a drat good alibi. I don't want the gangstar to get offed so early.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

serefin99 posted:

And Fuyuhiko continues to be absent for this chapter. Hopefully this changes next update, and also hopefully he has a drat good alibi. I don't want the gangstar to get offed so early.

Isn't "not being in the same building" a pretty good alibi?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Not with the mysteriously locked bathroom. It could have been anyone in there.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I wonder if he was stabbed through the gaps in the floor.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ That doesn't make sense. How did the knife wind up next to him? Also in the picture it looks like the table is on the rug. I like the theory that the knife was taped to the broken table leg. Of course in order to do that someone would have had to have known that the table was like that. !Makoto almost certainly would have seen that when he was laying the rug down. Since he went there ahead of everyone, that gives him plenty of opportunity to set things up, notice any extra circuit breakers (if there are any), spot the NV goggles in the storage room, learn the layout... Given the way this game is already screwing with the audience, I'm going to say it was him.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 13, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: It's too bad Byakuya had to die for it but a new game means new investigation music and man is Homicide good. Personally I like it much better than BOX 15, and it's probably on par or slightly lower than BOX 16. This game also does something awesome in that the music doesn't restart every time you get a new Truth Bullet like it did in DR1.

: During investigations, we must guide Hajime as he tracks down clues to Byakuya's murder. Once we have all the clues, the investigation will end and the class trial will begin. Clues are known as Truth Bullets, and we will be collecting a number of them as we go. You can review your collected Truth Bullets at any time in your e-Handbook pause menu.
: Let's start the investigation off by talking to Nagito.

: Hey Hajime, there's something I want to run by you... Before the blackout occurred...Byakuya was in the dining hall with the rest of us, right?
: ...Yeah, that's right.
: And if Byakuya's dead body was discovered after the blackout... Then, don't you think he died during the blackout?
: Well...now that you mention it...
: But...why was Byakuya's body under a table? Even if the killer tried to hide him, it's not like he would have stayed hidden forever... Isn't it confusing?
: You're absolutely right...
: It seems...finding out what exactly happened during the blackout is key to solving the mystery.
: There's no way I'd know... It was so dark during the blackout, I couldn't see a thing.

: Although...if seeing was impossible then there's a possibility someone might have heard something.

...Heard something? Are...are you talking about "her"?

: Let's try Mikan next.

: Eyehhh...I must...I must investigate my classmate's body...!
: Y-Yes! I'm the one who has medical knowledge!
: Th-Th-That's why...I need to do it...! T-T-To...do...it, somehow...
: Before you start...why don't you calm down a bit?

: You're right...I-I need to calm down first. I-I...I'm careless enough...as it is...
: That's...pretty obvious from how you fell earlier...
: I-I am terribly sorry about that...f-for showing you s-something so unsightly...
: Yaaaaaaah! Y-You made me remember it again!

: Auuughh...I...I made such a fool of myself...in front of everyone...!
: Forget making a fool of yourself... How in the world did you end up like that?
: W-Well...I got startled by the blackout, slipped on the carpet... And once I was struggling to get back up...

: Eyehhhh... It's soooo embarrassing! Please...please erase it from your memory!
: E-Even if you ask me...I won't be able to forget it so easily. ...Sorry.
: Waaaaahhh...I can't stand it...!

: Let's see how Mahiru is doing next.

: Mahiru, are you all right?
: Yeah, I'm fine...
: ...Is that what you expected me to say!? Because I feel terrible!
: One minute Byakuya is alive and well...and in an instant, something awful suddenly happens... Of course I'm not fine...

: And not only that, but whoever killed him is one of us, right!?
: That hasn't...been determined yet...
: ...It's *already* been determined! You've already accepted it, haven't you!?
: That we...have to find out who the killer is... Find out which friend killed our friend...
: I don't like it either but...we won't survive...if we don't go through with it. It's not just for yourself! We have to do it to protect all of us!

: ...If...If I had only acted calmer during the blackout, Byakuya might still be alive.
: This whole thing would've never happened...
: Stop blaming yourself... Nothing good will come of it...

: Agh, jeez! Getting cheered up by a boy isn't like me at all!
: Hey Hajime, forget about what I just said! Got it!?
: Y-Yeah...that's fine. I got it...

: Anyway...I won't dwell on it for now. I can't become a burden to everyone. Plus...there might be a clue that only I have access to...
: ...A clue?
: Photos. The ones I took just before the blackout, remember?

: Heeeey Byakuya! Everyone c'mon! I'm gonna take a picture! All right, say "cheeeeeeeeese!"

*Snap!*

: Oh yeah...the pictures...
: Wanna see them? I have a digital camera so I can show them to you right now.
: Really? Please!

: Let's see, it's this photo...

: ...and this one. I took these two photos right before the blackout, but...
: ...Huh?
: ...Is something wrong?

: I didn't realize it until just now, but right before the blackout, Byakuya was standing in a totally different place than where we found him.
: Wasn't his body under that table with the lamp on top of it? The one underneath the monitor? Prior to that, Byakuya was stabding along the wall farthest away from that table.
: You're right... That's pretty far...

There's something... Everyone's standing position before the blackout might be a huge clue.

: Hey, can you approximate everybody's standing position from these photos?
: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. It'd be hard to understand from the photos alone, so it might be better for me to plot it out.
: But...would that actually provide a clue?
: I don't know yet, but...I feel like it could.

: Got it... Then leave it to me. That's pretty much the only job I can do anyway.
: Thank you.
: All right, now that that's decided...

: You better work hard on your investigation too! How much longer are you planning to stand around?
: Do you understand what's going on? You gotta find out how Byakuya died.
: Y-Yeah, I know, but...

It's good she's all fired up now, but...she's a totally different person now than when she was feeling down.

: I wonder what Gundham cares about more, Byakuya's death or his earring?

: Oh, Hell Hound Earring... Answer my call! ...
: Tch! ...Is this effort futile, as well...!?
: Hey, are you still...looking for the earring you dropped?
: It is not a mere earring! ...It is the Hell Hound Earring! ...

: Long ago...in a faraway land, a beast known as the Hell Hound was feared by all, even by he who summoned it...

Well...this is certainly random...

: The Hell Hound tore its way through innumerable battlefields, its fangs glistening with blood... And his drenched, blood-red fur would dry in the howling winds...of loneliness. When I finally tamed that diabolic beast, I received an earring to commemorate that event...

: ...the Hell Hound Earring. So that I may never forget the night I battled that fearsome pomeranian, I wear that earring at all times...

Was that really...about a friggin' pomeranian...?

: I understand it's important to you, but...for now, we need to investigate...
: Where is it!? Where did it disappear to!?

: ...Maybe...it fell underneath the floor? The carpet didn't cover the whole floor... It might have fallen through the gaps between the exposed floorboards.
: Fuhahaha! So that's what transpired! Such a clever little bauble...!

Gundham laughed uproariously as he walked toward the wall and pressed his head against the gaps in the floor and peered beneath the floorboards.

: Ah...there it is... I have found it! Truly, that is the Hell Hound Earring!
: Fuhaha...fuhahahahaha! it seems God exists for my benefit!
: I see... Good for you...

: ...However, how do I recover it? I cannot fit my arm through this opening... Were I to use a tool, it would probably not reach either...
: Then...maybe you should just give up?
: ...Give up what? The world?
: I meant give up the earring.

: Fool... Have you not yet realized!? The world will come to an end if the human race were to lose that earring...! You humans...are so satisfied with clothing yourselves in layers of false knowledge!
: But even with all those layers, you still will not survive the winter!

Why...am I being scolded?

: Tch! It was foolish of me to rely on you fools... Fine, I shall do something about it on my own. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go save the world. *leaves*

He wants that earring back by any means necessary. His determination is truly inspiring...but it'd be nice if he actually helped me with the investigation.

: Time to examine the body.

Under this very table...Byakuya was...

F-First... I should investigate the top of the table. ...Though, the only thing on top of this table that really catches my eye is...

...this desk lamp. It looks like an antique lamp and it seems rather heavy... The power cord was connected to the outlet, so it would've been useless during the blackout...

Other than that, there's nothing else on the table that really stands out to me. So...

: ...Now's not the time for me...to flinch...

I let out a shout, as if to encourage myself, and quickly looked beneath the table.

Immediately...I noticed an unexplainable smell, like rusted iron, hanging in the air. Enduring the stinging pain in the back of my eyes, I slowly shifted my gaze toward Byakuya's body.

Byakuya Togami, the Ultimate Affluent Progeny... He was the kind of guy who said a lot of hurtful things...but he tried his best to lead everyone.

: Why...why did he have to end up like this...?

The only thing I can do right now...

: ...for Byakuya's sake...
: ...is to uncover the truth behind his death!

: There's a total of five different things to check under the table.

The body is collapsed face-down under the table... As if he was in the middle of attempting something... It looks like he was...

According to the Monokuma File, he was repeatedly stabbed between the throat and abdominal region. "Repeatedly stabbed"... Would one of us really...do something so horrible?

The blood flowing from Byakuya's body formed a huge pool under the table. That's a lot of blood... There's blood splattered everywhere.

Even the inner side of the tablecloth is covered in blood... The blood...might have splattered all over the place when he got stabbed.

: But...there don't seem to be any drag marks leading from the blood pool.

A bloody knife... Is this the weapon that killed Byakuya?

...Hold on. How did the killer bring this knife to the dining hall in the first place? Byakuya thoroughly patted down everyone and thoroughly inspected every corner of this old building... And all the confiscated dangerous items were supposed to be placed in that duralumin case.

: It's possible they stole this knife from the case... Or...they hid it somewhere hard to find.

Also...there's one more thing about this knife that's strange... There's some kind of paint that's been applied to the hilt. In the dim light beneath the table, it seems to glow dully...

: ...Could this be glowing paint?

Hm? Something's stuck to the back of the table. Is this...duct tape? There seems to be paint applied to the non-sticky side of the duct tape... In the dim light beneath the table, it seems to glow dully...

: ...Could this be glowing paint?

: ...Hm? What is this?

It looks like binoculars, but...

: Why is there a pair of binoculars under the table?

: Hajime...those aren't binoculars.
: Eh? Then...what are they?
: Those are probably...night-vision goggles.
: N-Night vision goggles?
: I've seen them at the supermarket on this island. They also stock self-defense kits too.

If that's the case... Did the killer use these night-vision goggles to kill Byakuya during the blackout?

Um...I'm sure I've pretty much investigated what's under the table.

: Despite the fact that it's just me...I think I'm working pretty hard...

Even if it's just a little...I'm sure we're getting close to the truth behind Byakuya's death.

: There's a box opened over here.

Ah, this is the metal case Byakuya had with him. I believe he said it was made of duralumin.

The last time I saw it, it was closed, but...

There are a lot of odd things inside this case, like a nightstick and pepper spray.

...Hm? What's this? A hard plastic case... But it's just the case. The inside is empty. I wonder what was inside... But the one thing that really catches my attention is...

...this small key... It must be the key to the other duralumin case. That other case was in the office, and all of the collected dangerous items were inside of it.

If the key to that duralumin case is right here, then it's unlikely that the murder weapon used to kill Byakuya was taken from that case... Which mean...the weapons inside that duralumin case aren't related to Byakuya's murder.

: Even so...I still don't get it.

Why did Byakuya have this duralumin case in the first place? A case packed with all of this security equipment...? Maybe he was being extra cautious just in case...? No, that can't be right. That's way too overboard.

: Could he...have known something was going to happen beforehand? And because of that...he went to all this trouble to be extra careful.

: We examined the A/C unit when we arrived to the party. Let's see if anything's changed with it.

A remote-controlled air conditioner...

...Hm? Air conditioner? Could it be...?

: Hey! Why can't you all act a little more mature...?

*Beep beep!*

: ...Hm? What was that sound just now?

*Bzzap!*

This air conditioner is probably the only machine inside this room... And...the air conditioner's remote control...

: The timer is set to 11:30 p.m. I'm pretty sure Byakuya's time of death was around the same time. If so...that means...

That mechanical sound before the blackout, it probably came from this air conditioner!

: My flashes of inspiration aren't as bad as I thought.

Now then... Where else should I investigate?

: Ah, Hajime, a moment?
: ...Hm? What is it?
: When we're finished with the investigation here, would you like to hear what everyone has to say together? If I go by myself, some people might not talk to me out of caution.

Well... We've been told that one of us is a killer...it can't be helped if everyone's on edge right now.

: But, why me?

: Hmmm... You're easy to talk to, and I feel like you have a scent similar to mine. We both harbor special feelings toward Hope's Peak Academy... Isn't that right?
: Well, yeah but... Fine. If we're going together, let's get on with it. There's no time for idle chit-chat.
: ...I'm glad. It'll be a great help.

Special feelings, huh...? Even so...what he said about us being similar, I don't think I agree...

: I guess, for now, we should search the inside of this old building and listen to what the others have to say. Not just the dining hall... I think we should consider this whole building the scene of the crime. After all, the blackout that took place at the time would have happened throughout this entire building.
: Yeah, you're right.

: Next time, we'll check out the other rooms inside the old building.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hmmm, so it looks like the knife was smuggled in under the table and the glow paint was there to help a person find it. With the duralamin case open it looks like Byakuya whipped out a pair of night vision goggles and saw someone going under the table and probably pursued since it doesn't look like he dragged under.

Looking at the photos, NotMakoto was nearest to the AC unit and the table where the murder occurred. He could have fiddled with it, but if it could be programmed then anyone really could have messed with it.

Figure we gotta wait for more clues to come up.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I'm calling it now: Nagito is the murderer. The developers purposely made him so similar to Makoto so we would trust him, only to make him the first killer. Plus the evidence seems to be pointing in that direction. He's the one who most likely hid the knife, he was standing by the A/C when the power went out, and he probably did something to the bathroom door to keep it locked because... He's a dick like that?

tl;dr Nagito is a witch and must be burned at the stake.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
hajimes orange juice

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I'm guessing what happened was, Byakuya went to grab the goggles and knife he hid (which is the knife we see), but somebody stabbed him through the floorboards. If the knife were used to stab him, it should be bloody all over the blade, not just on the sharp bit. They should turn over the knife and see if there's blood on the other side.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Huh. I was expecting Creeper Cook to have poisoned the food. I was hoping that Peko would seize her chance to put him out of everyone's misery. No jury would convict her.

Fuckin' Fat Togami, you will be missed.

Oh, come on, are we really doing this? Is this going to be Mikan's thing? Is this necessary?

FPzero posted:

: S-Seriously...? How do you trip and land like *that*!?
: Yaaaay, an erotic pose! That's obviously a fanservice moment!
: Eek... Nooooo... P-Please don't! Please don't look at me!
I can't decide is this is just lovely, charmingly self-aware, or shittily "ha ha look at what we did" self-aware.

Double Punctuation posted:

I'm guessing what happened was, Byakuya went to grab the goggles and knife he hid (which is the knife we see), but somebody stabbed him through the floorboards. If the knife were used to stab him, it should be bloody all over the blade, not just on the sharp bit. They should turn over the knife and see if there's blood on the other side.
I suppose now's a good time to bring this back up.

FPzero posted:

: Hey... Before you start getting all flirty, explain this. I checked the equipment list and there seems to be one iron skewer missing...
My suspect list is currently between Nagito and Peko. I'm suspicious of Jason as well because of the skewer, but it seems like it would be a lot easier to just poison someone's food.

Fuyuhiko seems like the obvious red herring, but I would like to know what the hell his deal is. I'm undecided as to whether Nagito's rainbows-and-sunshine gimmick is covering up crazy or serving as our new Kyoko, though we have other candidates this time for our Competent Companion. I trusted Kyoko - I wouldn't turn my back to Nagito. I've been waiting for him to go Toko on us and stab someone with his Raging Hope Boner, and this might be it.

I flipped a coin to make a choice on him for the betting pool and I immediately regretted it once the pool closed.

Malah fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 14, 2016

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I love that Mikan's pose is a truth bullet. It was a totally "wait wtf?" moment for me.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Malah posted:

Oh, come on, are we really doing this? Is this going to be Mikan's thing? Is this necessary?

I can't decide is this is just lovely, charmingly self-aware, or shittily "ha ha look at what we did" self-aware.

Yes, I'm afraid; yes it is; probably not all things considered. And probably a bit of both.

To be fair, I don't think the writer considers this to be wholly funny or healthy, or wants the audience to think so too; note that the only people celebrating it are terrible people themselves. But writers sometimes fall into the trap set by 'death of the author" and their own ability to actually present certain topics: should a thing that is meant to be gross and uncomfortable and rejected by the author be so in our faces that we become sickened, and at what point does it become exploitation of the thing it is ostensibly against? This entire series, by it's very nature , falls into that trap a lot, even more so when the original writer director is not involved! *coughanimecough*

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

resurgam40 posted:

To be fair, I don't think the writer considers this to be wholly funny or healthy, or wants the audience to think so too; note that the only people celebrating it are terrible people themselves. But writers sometimes fall into the trap set by 'death of the author" and their own ability to actually present certain topics: should a thing that is meant to be gross and uncomfortable and rejected by the author be so in our faces that we become sickened, and at what point does it become exploitation of the thing it is ostensibly against? This entire series, by it's very nature , falls into that trap a lot, even more so when the original writer director is not involved! *coughanimecough*

Yeah the other game in this series won't be played for the thread because of this very thing, also that it is not a particularly well made game in general and the main reason to play it is for the story it adds to the Dangan Ronpa world, which is again marred by this issue. Where it tries to tackle certain topics and does so terribly and comes across as awful because of it.

In this game I'm pretty sure Mikan ends up being the worst of this sort of thing though. Dangan Ronpa is very much meant to be a commentary on Japanese society from what I understand, the quest for perfection and how it breaks people is a big theme of many characters. So things like this are often meant to be viewed negatively not positively, especially considering how much it actually upsets Mikan and how damaged her personality has so far appeared.

This doesn't necessarily mean they've handled it well or with any amount of tact though, and parts of it are that this is a translation of a game and so it's very possible that the translation team has changed context or the intention of specific phrases/lines either by accident or on purpose for their own reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
In this case at the very least the dialogue is the same between both versions.

But I've always thought of DR as having its cake and eating it. Presumably it helps with sales.

• Locked thread