Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
I don't know what you guys are going on about. Gundham Tanaka is a powerful warlock and not to be trifled with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Teruteru is the absolute wors...

Junpei posted:

Chiaki... So... Cute... And... My... Type...
Can't... Stop... Must... Cuddle...

No wait, it's this guy.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Junpei posted:

Chiaki... So... Cute... And... My... Type...
Can't... Stop... Must... Cuddle...

Um.... well for what it's worth, I agree with at least most of the sentiment: Chiaki is The Best Character. The reasons why will present themselves over the course of the LP, but... yeah, she's The Best Character.

Peko's cool, Sonia's probably the most normal person here IMO, Teruteru is creepy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

So what does the blood nose denote, again? Lust?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes. Steve is extremely horny.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's a side effect of the poison. Sonia didn't suck it out and now he's hemorrhaging from his brain.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Qrr posted:

It's a side effect of the poison. Sonia didn't suck it out and now he's hemorrhaging from his brain.
Well we shouldn't let him die, but give it a moment and it might alter his personality a little and make him more tolerable.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Chiaki is cute. So is Sonia. And Komaeda. And Babyface. And Ibuki and Mahiru and Gundham and...

They're all kinda cute in their own ways. And I, for one, would like to hug them all. Then again, I'm a huggy kind of person. I just want to hug most people, so... ^.^;

Well, except for Steve. No hugs for pervs. (No hugs for oshun)

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's an allusion to all the blood rushing to one area in the body, causing nosebleed. It's a Japanese pervert signal. Very anime.

To be fair, there's other pervy characters who don't get as much hate as he does, but mainly because they have other traits that aren't just "Horny 24/7".

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 12, 2016

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I remember this princess. I liked her!

Also, that chef is still a creep. Blah. I'd actually forgotten about Nekomaru and camera lady. Actually, I think the princess is the only person from DR2 that I remembered before this started again.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sonia! One of my other favorite characters.

I'm not as big a fan of Chiaki as most people though. She's a little too boring for me. I don't dislike her but she's not one of my top characters.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Nidai is amazing just because of his enthusiasm for self improvement. He's all about using hard work to strengthen and clear your system!

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

We've seen my favorite character, but I'm not saying who it is to avoid spoilers.

Of course, now everyone who has played the game knows exactly who I am referring to.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I love basically every character in this game dearly. Even Hanamura, sort of.

As with 1, they did a really good job with the localisation here, save for a few maddeningly specific things. Like, Nidai being a "team manager". Come on. He's supposed to be a coach! Those are two completely different lines of work!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

We've seen my favorite character, but I'm not saying who it is to avoid spoilers.

Of course, now everyone who has played the game knows exactly who I am referring to.

There are only two three students we haven't seen, so this statement is so vague it's meaningless. It's okay to say that "My favorite character is X but I won't say why yet".

EDIT: Three students, I forgot about Akane.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 13, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My favorite character is :30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux::30bux: long. Instances of my favorite character subsist on a diet of [DATA EXPUNGED.]

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 13, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Let's check out the Ranch.

: This looks like a ranch.
: ...Though there aren't many animals around.

: Aww...you found it out!
: You again! Seriously, where do you keep appearing from!?
: I can show up anywhere, anytime! The system allows me to appear anywhere on the island!

: It's all thanks to this handy-dandy Magic Stick!

Magic Stick, huh? ...Is she talking about that toy she's holding?

: Hmmm...still, I am quite troubled... A ranch without any moo-cows is like a soccer team without any balls.
: You might want to rephrase that...

: All righty! Just leave it to me and my handy-dandy Magic Stick!

: Bibidi Bobidi! Bibido Bobidi! Bibidibibidi! Bobidibobidi!

: Bu! Turn into a moo-cow!

: ...BWHAAAAAAAAA!?
: Harumph! A huge success! *leaves*
: Wh-What was all that just now...? A-A chicken...changed into...a cow!?
: Nah, it's probably some sort of trick or illusion. I bet it was set up before we got here. She was probably trying to make us happy, but...I guess it had the opposite effect on you, Hajime.

...A trick? An illusion? W-Well...if you think rationally, it makes sense... A chicken can't just change into a cow. Messing with living things like that is just not cool, you know?

Based on appearances...it looks like just a regular, run-of-the-mill cow. What kind of trick is changing a chicken into a cow, anyway?

: Squish! Squish!

What's this kid doing? She's sitting down and she keeps pressing her finger onto the floor with all her strength.

: Um, are you okay? I haven't introduced myself, right? My name is Hajime Hinata...
: Hmmm?

: I'm Hiyoko Saionji.

: Voice Actress: Kira Buckland

She hasn't stopped pressing her finger onto the floor... Seriously, what's she doing? And...her appearance and voice are so young... I can't believe she's actually a high school student.

: Hiyoko's talent has made her known as the Ultimate Traditional Dancer. As a rookie, the Japanese dance industry expects a lot from her. She's already performed overseas many times. It seems her performances are popular among young audiences, which is rare in the Japanese dance industry. Well, then again, her fans are mostly men.

It's probably because she looks so young... Her fans probably all have the same niche or something.

: Hey, what exactly are you doing?
: Hmm? I'm squishing!
: Squishing what?

: Mr. Ant, of course. I'm squishing lots of Mr. Ants.
: Come again?

: Hehe... If you squish their tummies just right, it makes this awesome sound.
: Wanna do it together!?
: H-Hell no!
: Aww, okay.
: Hmph, you wuss...

Th-This kid... Her attitude doesn't match her appearance at all.

: Heeeey! Who're you dudes?
: It's nice to finally meet you... I'm Hajime Hinata.
: Gotcha... And who's this other dude?
: ...Huh? Haven't we already met?
: Oh, haha! I'm sorry! I pretty much suck at rememberin' names, and I've met so many interestin' characters today.
: I'm Nagito Komaeda. If you can, please don't forget my name again...

: Yo! The name's Akane Owari! Nice to meetcha!

: Voice Actress: Wendee Lee

: Akane is known as the Ultimate Gymnast, and an all-around super athlete. Rumor has it she's a wild troublemaker, but her athletic ability is off the charts. However, her basics and fundamentals are all over the place, so her gymnastic routines are mostly improvised. If she's in her groove, she performs splendidly. But if she's not, she loses interest and switches it up.

How self-centered... No matter how you cut it, she definitely sounds like a troublemaker... Even though, she's called the Ultimate Gymnast for a reason, so her performances must be amazing to see...

I...can't visualize her as a normal high school student. I mean, she's got the physique of an Olympic athlete...

: Huh? Don't tell me you...
: Oh, I get it! So, you have a thing for sexy bodies, huh?
: You're being really loud... I know you're doing that on purpose...

: That's everyone on the 1st Island, but if you'll remember there was someone on the Central Island.

: Hajime... It looks like if we go across this bridge, we can reach another island not far from here.
: Is it...safe?
: That's what we're going there to find out, right?

It it's not safe when we get there, then what will you do...?

: The Central Island connects to all the other islands here.

: Going to the right, the first closed bridge we come across is labeled "5". Looks like there are five exterior islands in total.

I see a bridge in the distance but it looks like there's a gate blocking it.

: It looks like there's another island on the other side of the bridge, but it seems we can't cross it.
: Yeah, that seems to be the case.

: Between the 2nd and 3rd gate, we come across this Park.

: So...this is a park...
: A park surrounded by the ocean...
: Hmm, it feels so nice.

Such a laidback attitude... But...if we weren't in a situation like this, I'd probably be enjoying some lazy sunbathing myself.

"If" being the key word.

: How are your introductions going? I'd like to inform you about another feature. You may have already noticed, but you have a level assigned to you. It's displayed on the top right corner of your screen. Your level increases by performing various actions, such as walking, examining, and talking to others. Every time you level up, you will become stronger than you were before. The number of skills you can equip will also increase, so please try your hardest to level up often.
: I guess since the game brought it up I'll go ahead and explain Levels. In this game, Levels are your Skill Points. Every level you get gives you +1 Skill Point. The cost of skills has been increased to accomodate this, but in my experience I've never had trouble having most, if not all of my skills equipped at the same time. I think levels also affect your HP and Focus Gauge in trials, but it's been a while since I played and I'm not positive about this claim.

: ...What do you want?

Th-This guy's presence is overwhelming. He doesn't seem very approachable... Even his body is overwhelming.

: Ah, Byakuya... Have time for a small introduction?
: ...Introduction?
: C'mon, Hajime.
: Um, hello. My name is Hajime Hinata.
: ...

: My name is Byakuya Togami.

: Voice Actor: Jason Wishnov
: ...I'm done. That's it, right? Back off.

I-I can tell...this guy is thumbing his nose at me...

: Well, I suppose that's Byakuya for you...
: What do you mean?
: That guy is particularly special, even by Ultimate standards... He's next in line to inherit his family's massive financial conglomerate. He's already begun managing the business operations, and his net worth is, well, enormous.
: It's completely accurate to call him the Ultimate Affluent Progeny. He's the epitome of "exceptional."

That's like...a manga origin story...

: You there, Hajime, was it...?
: Eh?
: Tell me...why did Hope's Peak Academy choose you? What is your ultimate talent?
: Um... Th-The thing is... I honestly can't remember.

: You don't remember...?
: Apparently he lost his memory due to shock... He can't really remember much.
: Hmph, how foolish. ...
: Um...

: ...I do believe we have finished talking. How much longer to do you intend to stand there?
: Move along! That's the only thing you skinny types are good at, it seems.
: Let's just leave, Hajime...
: Yeah, sure thing...

His build and that overwhelming aura of refinement just pushes people away... Is this what it means to be the Ultimate Affluent Progeny...?

Music fades out.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Was that a school bell just now...?
: Hajime. Look at that monitor over there.

: Congratulations everyone! It appears that everyone has finished collecting the Hope Fragments! I'm...*sniff*...I'm so happy... Soooo...I've prepared a present for everyone that'll make you all veeeeery happy! I apologize for the trouble, but please gather at the beach! Tee hee hee! May shining hope be with you all!

: She said to meet at the beach...
: I-Is that going to be okay...? I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this.
: Thinking won't solve anything. We can do that after we go to the beach.
: Is that precaution really enough?

To be honest, I'm really worried...but it would look bad if I was the only one who didn't go.

: Before we go, let's take a look at this statue.

It's a bronze statue of various animals. Plus, it's pretty huge.

: Wow! What a grand statue!
: Yeah, it's grand...but isn't it also kind of creepy?
: You think so? I think it looks splendid. I mean, look at it. It probably symbolizes the whole island.

It sure is grand...

: This island's symbol, huh...

: Next time, back to the beach.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Now that we've met everyone, I think it's alright for me to say that at this point the characters feel like remixed versions of the DR1 cast. Notably, there's Chiaki, who appears to fill Chihiro's (apparent) "computer girl" slot, Akane, who seems to be Hina's "attractive, spacey athlete chick" combined with Leon's "careless, firey athlete," and Fuyohiko, who combines Byakuya's "untouchable better-than-you" attitude with Mondo's temperament and language.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This is like a symbol for the island!

Is a statue depicting animals locked in a desperate life and death struggle to be on top.

This bodes great for these kids! This is going to be a super fun trip!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ManicVolcanic posted:

Now that we've met everyone, I think it's alright for me to say that at this point the characters feel like remixed versions of the DR1 cast. Notably, there's Chiaki, who appears to fill Chihiro's (apparent) "computer girl" slot, Akane, who seems to be Hina's "attractive, spacey athlete chick" combined with Leon's "careless, firey athlete," and Fuyohiko, who combines Byakuya's "untouchable better-than-you" attitude with Mondo's temperament and language.

And we now have Byakuya, whose like DG1 Byakuya, except fat!

I do like though how it seems like everyone already knows each other judging by how not-Makoto introduces you around, I wonder how this will all play into the group dynamic when Hajime joins the group for the inevitable Dangan fun that should go down.

Seriously, I have so many questions, so is this like a direct sequel or some kind of alternate universe Dangan? If its the former, what the hell happened after they left Hopes Peak? Whats become of the world? Is this some kind of twisted pastiche that's meant to throw us off guard when juxtaposed to the extreme violence of Danganronpa?

... How did Byakuya get so fat?!? He does not seem like the kind of guy who'd let himself go.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Fedule posted:

I love basically every character in this game dearly. Even Hanamura, sort of.

There is just one tiny aspect of his character I find amusing, yeah. Maybe two. It's nice that even the absolute worst character has a couple fun moments.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Something I've pretty consistently been confused by: are these people entering or leaving high school? It certainly seems like Hopes Peak academy is more of a college, but he talks about how surprising it is that Hiyoko is a high school student when she wouldn't be anymore.

Speaking of Hiyoko, I forgot how polite she was during her introduction.

Akane is pretty fun. Yes, she definitely feels like a remix of some of the DR1 characters, as do a number of others, but they all have their own twists.

As for whether this is an alternate universe or a direct sequel or what... I mean, obviously no one's going to answer those questions. That would be telling.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They're definitely entering high school. It's just that Hope's Peak is a very large, very anime high school.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Akane's okay and Byakuya.... man all I can think is "You let yourself go, holy crap."

Hiyoko? Bitch.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Qrr posted:

Something I've pretty consistently been confused by: are these people entering or leaving high school? It certainly seems like Hopes Peak academy is more of a college, but he talks about how surprising it is that Hiyoko is a high school student when she wouldn't be anymore.

Hope's Peak is a High School, but only for the last two years of High School. Everyone who gets accepted has to be enrolled in a HIgh School before this. It is not a College.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Qrr posted:

How did you read that as him think she should be out of high school? He comments on her looking young like she should be in a lower grade.

FPzero posted:

She hasn't stopped pressing her finger onto the floor... Seriously, what's she doing? And...her appearance and voice are so young... I can't believe she's actually a high school student.

EDIT: if any character looks like they should be in college, it's Nidai

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 13, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

Hope's Peak is a High School, but only for the last two years of High School. Everyone who gets accepted has to be enrolled in a HIgh School before this. It is not a College.

Huh. That is confusing

mateo360 posted:

How did you read that as him think she should be out of high school? He comments on her looking young like she should be in a lower grade.

Basically I assumed Hopes Peak Academy was a college. Therefore when he said "she looks young to be in high school", I thought that was odd because it should have been "she looks young to be in college".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just compared the openings of this game and the previous one. The first game is much more explicit in saying Hope's Peak is a high school, whereas this game only mentions it in passing real quick. This isn't a deliberate omission on the part of the game or anything. The characters are definitely meant to be high school students. There probably some level of assumption being made that the player already knows the setting of Hope's Peak given that this is a sequel.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FPzero posted:

I just compared the openings of this game and the previous one. The first game is much more explicit in saying Hope's Peak is a high school, whereas this game only mentions it in passing real quick. This isn't a deliberate omission on the part of the game or anything. The characters are definitely meant to be high school students. There probably some level of assumption being made that the player already knows the setting of Hope's Peak given that this is a sequel.

Also, the original Japanese pretty much shoves the fact that it's a high school down your throat, because "High School" is part of "Super High School Level".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SMaster777 posted:

Akane's okay and Byakuya.... man all I can think is "You let yourself go, holy crap."

Hiyoko? Bitch.

The Ultimate Affluent Progeny does not let himself go, he merely expands his greatness :colbert:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

orenronen posted:

Also, the original Japanese pretty much shoves the fact that it's a high school down your throat, because "High School" is part of "Super High School Level".

Well, that's another reason for the confusion. They were admitted to Hope's Peak because they were super duper high school whatever the hecks. And you can't be a super duper high school doofus without already being in high school before Hope's Peak. But if they were already 2 years into high school before they went to this weird half high school thingummy then that would explain it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I always thought it was the last three years of high school. So from an Australian perspective they do year 9 (first year of HS) elsewhere. Then get scouted by Hope's Peak and spend 3 years there.

Spoiler removed here because I was wrong about where it's from, sorry.

The first game says they removed 2 years worth of memories but not that they were graduating before they sealed themselves in the school I'm pretty sure. Plus 3 years at Hope's Peak sounds more sensible in my head than 2.

I could be wrong of course.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 13, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Qrr posted:

Well, that's another reason for the confusion. They were admitted to Hope's Peak because they were super duper high school whatever the hecks. And you can't be a super duper high school doofus without already being in high school before Hope's Peak. But if they were already 2 years into high school before they went to this weird half high school thingummy then that would explain it.

Note that the title is all about their skill level in comparison to a comparison group (hence the kanji 級 kyuu "class/grade/level" at the end of it). Which implies they're either high school students who are the best compared to their peers or that they're already post high school but never managed to advance beyond their former skill level, which doesn't sound too good for an exclusive academy.

They use the title to (likely) comment on some social issue or whatever in DR3 where there are a whole bunch of characters whose title is "Former-SHSL [whatever]".

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I'm not gonna lie I've already forgotten all the new characters names so I apologize in advanced if I add confusion to discussions due to miss-naming characters after updates in the future. :blush:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Lord_Magmar posted:

I always thought it was the last three years of high school. So from an Australian perspective they do year 9 (first year of HS) elsewhere. Then get scouted by Hope's Peak and spend 3 years there.

Pretty sure it's mentioned in the first game but just in case *spoiler cut out*

More importantly the first game says they removed 2 years worth of memories but not that they were graduating before they sealed themselves in the school I'm pretty sure. Plus 3 years at Hope's Peak sounds more sensible in my head than 2.

I actually don't think the first game goes over what your spoiler mentions. In fact, I think that's something from the novel DR0, not the first game. Could you edit it out just in case? If I'm totally wrong (since I don't have time to go back through the previous LP to look for it) you can put it back later.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

FPzero posted:

I actually don't think the first game goes over what your spoiler mentions. In fact, I think that's something from the novel DR0, not the first game. Could you edit it out just in case? If I'm totally wrong (since I don't have time to go back through the previous LP to look for it) you can put it back later.

Nah I was confused because I haven't personally played the games I've just read up the story and whoever wrote it down put the spoiler as part of the game. So I've edited it out.

On a different note are you planning on doing Ultra Despair Girls at any point. As I think the thread's reaction to some of the more mishandled parts of that game might be worth seeing. Also I actually think it has a few interesting parts and themes that are unfortunately ruined by said mishandling and the admittedly poor gameplay.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm not planning to do UDG. Personally, I really disliked the game partially due to the mishandled portions and partially due to how bored I was by the end of it. It would also have to be even more of a hybrid LP than this one considering it has both action gameplay and long dialogue scenes. More than that though, I imagine the interesting thread reactions you're thinking of might cause it to devolve into chaos unless I outright cut out that section of the game and never show it. I know I don't care to revisit certain scenes in the game.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

quote:

I...can't visualize her as a normal high school student. I mean, she's got the physique of an Olympic athlete...

No, no she really does not.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

Spoiler removed here because I was wrong about where it's from, sorry.

The first game says they removed 2 years worth of memories but not that they were graduating before they sealed themselves in the school I'm pretty sure. Plus 3 years at Hope's Peak sounds more sensible in my head than 2.

Japanese high school is only three years long. (American 10th grade-12th grade)

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

hopeandjoy posted:

So basically exactly what Lord_Magmar said. In Australia there's 6 years of high school. They pointed out that upwards of year 9 (thus year 10, 11 and 12) were what they were talking about in their post - that there were three years, not two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

I honestly didn't know this, and I wasn't quite thinking of High School in Australia but Senior school. Which is year 9-12. But if it's only 3 years of High school in Japan and they already have to be in High School to be scouted I guess they must only do 2 years at Hope's Peak. Which seems a bit short to me and makes Hagakure's thing about being held back 3 times extra ridiculous.

Then again if I remember correctly what schooling at Hope's Peak is actually like from other resources it's not that silly to only spend two years there.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 13, 2016

• Locked thread