Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Nagito also happens to be the only one with personal stake on being Ultimate, and is acting like a snubbed fanboy who found their idol is a faker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

While I find Kazuichi to be a creep, I don't think he's as terrible as Hiro. Kazuichi has been putting his Ultimate talent to good use throughout the game so far. He's also been trying his best during trials, and while he may get some things wrong, it helps eliminate bad leads in trials. Contrast to Hiro who dragged trials down with his dumb theories. And while we don't know Kazuichi's social link yet, it can't be as bad as Hiro outright admitting that he conned people out of their money.

And yeah, Kazuichi's a creep but it's somewhat tolerable because no one's cool with it (unlike how everyone didn't react to Steve), and the reveal that Sonia hates his guts was an amazing payoff.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

amigolupus posted:

While I find Kazuichi to be a creep, I don't think he's as terrible as Hiro. Kazuichi has been putting his Ultimate talent to good use throughout the game so far. He's also been trying his best during trials, and while he may get some things wrong, it helps eliminate bad leads in trials. Contrast to Hiro who dragged trials down with his dumb theories. And while we don't know Kazuichi's social link yet, it can't be as bad as Hiro outright admitting that he conned people out of their money.

And yeah, Kazuichi's a creep but it's somewhat tolerable because no one's cool with it (unlike how everyone didn't react to Steve), and the reveal that Sonia hates his guts was an amazing payoff.

I can completely agree with that. I think I had forgotten how dumb Hiro was (but wait, let's stop the trial because you might be a ghost!!!!!!!) later on.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephrite posted:

(but wait, let's stop the trial because you might be a ghost!!!!!!!)

That was such an amazingly dumb moment that I almost got angry when it came up.

I mean, I know the characters have to be wrong about things so Naegi can refute them, but really?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

amigolupus posted:

I seem to remember people quickly intervening to keep Steve from taking advantage of Sonia's naivety and everyone else just generally avoiding Steve because he creeps them out so much.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

With the Monobeast gone, we crossed the fifth bridge and arrived at the final island.

: So this...is the last island...

Enormous buildings towered everywhere, as if the entire island were one gigantic city... It felt very sci-fi...as though the island was a snapshot of an urban metropolis from the near future.

: I guess it has an ambiance befitting of a final island...

: Welcome to the 5th Island. It's a really different-looking place than the other islands. It has a much more oppressive feel to it with all the tech and heavy black-and-white theming.

: There are a few locations to visit on the island, with one large one we'll see next update.

: For now, let's visit this Sea King Industries place. What a building...

There's a bunch of strange machines lined up in all directions... It feels very sci-fi.

: Sea King Industries...
: ...Huh?
: They're a company that specializes in manufacturing electric insulation and other machine parts. They're a mid-sized company with only 100 employees, but they're the biggest corporation on Jabberwock Island. And this place...looks like a research facility.
: For a mid-sized company, this is a pretty nice facility.
: I guess so... I only read about them in a pamphlet next to the reception desk. Besides, the size of the company isn't the issue here.
: This company obviously doesn't make machine parts, so just what the heck *are* they making here!?

He's right... It's like...they're making something more dangerous...

: It seems like it might be a good idea to thoroughly investigate this place.

: That's code word for clicking on everything we can in here. First up, you can probably barely see it thanks to the darkness and small image but there is a Hidden Monokuma by the cursor. It's much more visible at a full 1080p resolution.

: A better closeup.

: Next, let's see what this machine is.

This automated machine looks like it's making something... Is this a mannequin?

: It's a humanoid machine... Is that a robot...?
: Seriously!? How can they make robots!?

: Heeeeey! Just how far did technology advance without me knowing!?
: Do you think...Nekomaru was made here?
: It's a similar humanoid robot... It's possible, maybe...

: But why would a company that manufactures machine parts have access to this kind of technology!?
: I-I don't know...

Maybe...this place is somehow connected to the Future Foundation, too...?

: Let's check the other machine too.

Th-This machine...is making another machine? The finished product looks like it's modeled after a four-legged animal.

: Hey, doesn't that animal-looking machine remind you of anything?
: Are you talking about...the Monobeasts?
: Is there any chance that those Monobeasts were created here...?
: The Monobeasts...were created here?

: Yup, that's what this place is for!
: No matter how much you insist it's a game, people won't be convinced if a place like this doesn't exist, right?
: That's why it's just fine! *leaves*

: Wh-What the hell did he mean by that...? He wasn't making any sense at all...
: It doesn't matter who's convinced 'cause I'll never be convinced!
: I mean...this place is for manufacturing machine parts! Why are they able to create such a dangerous robot in a place like this!?

Does this mean Monokuma took over this place and modified it to do this...? Dammit... I don't even know what I'm saying anymore...!

: Lastly, let's talk to Kazuichi.

: ...
: Heh... Hahahahahahahahaha!
: H-Hey Kazuichi! Get ahold of yourself!

: ...Heh? Why?
: Wh-Why? Because you just started laughing all of a sudden...
: Well, obviously! What else am I gonna do except laugh!? I mean, it's just so childish!
: ...Wh-What are you talking about?

: Well, there's a computer over there so I started snooping around to see if I could find any clues... Whoever was using this computer must've been sending e-mails to his buddy or something.
: Pfft... He was probably trying to write a manga or something... He sent one of his story ideas to his buddy... It was such a horrible, delusional story. I was so embarrassed to read it that it gave me goosebumps!

Delusional story...?

Music fades out.

: So...what was written in the e-mail anyway?
: Well, I'll start with the idea for the story...

: Apparently global riots are occurring in various regions around the world. And these riots were caused by high school students. I mean, seriously? That's not realistic at all!
: So these riots just keep growing as people grow more dissatisfied and frustrated with society... Until eventually...it spreads like an infectious disease all over the world.
: Footage of the riots start getting circulated, and strange incidents start occurring one after another... A hopeless anxiety instantly spreads throughout the world...as the end of the world gets closer and closer.
: End...of the world...?

: I know, right? It sounds like something a lame high school band would think of as a song title.
: Whoever wrote this needs to come up with better story ideas, because this wasn't realistic at all. I mean, students causing a riot on that scale is totally impossible. I'd never believe it for a second.
: But I learned a valuable lesson! I should always delete embarrassing e-mails right away!
: ...Hey, about that... Are you sure it's okay to say that it's just a made-up story?
: O-Of course... I mean, unrealistic things might happen in real life from time to time, but...
: There's no way this is real! It's more impossible than a notebook that kills people just by writing in it!
: Y-You're right...

It's just...a lot of unimaginable things have kept happening to us, so maybe I'm getting a little confused. But the world ending...? There's no way something so unbelievable could actually happen.

: That's everything so now we can move on.

: Well, at any rate, it's clear now, isn't it!?
: What's clear?
: This used to be Sea King Industries, but it's not anymore...

: After this island became uninhabited, Monokuma took over this place and modified it without permission! He did all this just to shock us!
: That's...the reason?
: It's not so weird! This whole time he's been doing similar stuff to us!
: But...why?

: Maybe...there's a bunch of crazy rich dudes who are into this stuff.
: They're the ones who are making us kill each other! Those bastards get off on watching kids kill each other!
: Wait, hold on... Now that I said it out load, that's actually a terrible assumption...
: I mean...if that's true, then our fates are in the hands of those rich, perverted bastards...

That sounds like something that would happen in a work of fiction... But the thought of it actually happening in reality...is definitely unsettling.

: With that, let's move on to the next place.

: On the way there, our Pet sends us a notification.

: We have a new Pet now. My goal is to try and get the pet that evolves for having 9-10 Hope and 6-9 Despair before the end of this chapter. It'll be a tricky balance AND I'll probably have to spend a lot of time offscreen walking around for it to happen in time.

: Next up, the...Military Base?

Hm? That thing over there...

Is that...a tank?

: Is it real?

Not just that...there's a lot of other stuff here that looks really dangerous...

: The 2nd Hidden Monokuma is hiding in these shipping crates.

Is this a military truck? Unlike the airplane at the first island, this looks like it actually has an engine inside... But I don't even know how to drive...

: And besides...it's not like I can escape this island by driving off of it...

It's a military truck. There's something in the cargo box...

: Firearms...and there's a ton of them...!

There's a lot of different weapons, like guns and anti-tank rockets, carelessly stacked in here. Is it really all right to handle these carelessly?

This...is a tank, right? I-Is it real? Can it move?

: This looks...familiar...

: Th-This helicopter...!

Is this the helicopter Monokuma used to execute Teruteru!?

: Th-This helicopter... Don't screw with me!

*Bam!*

: Ow...

: Hajime, what happened?
: I-It's nothing...I'm fine.

I couldn't help punching it but...I just ended up hurting my fist.

: Dammit...I'm so weak...

: Let's see what Akane has to say about all this stuff.

: Man, this place is boring.
: Boring...? What are you talking about? There's a tank here.
: Huh? I like strong dudes. Weapons don't excite me at all!
: A REAL MAN FIGHTS WITH HIS FISTS!

: That goes for women, too!
: You wanna battle a little? If you win, you can rest on my boob pillows!
: No thanks...

...Boob pillows?

: :doh:

: Maybe Sonia will have something more interesting.

: This appears to be a military base.
: Is that so...
: Despite the fact that this island is quite small, the military technology here seems rather extensive.
: These might prove useful when the time comes to combat the Future Foundation!
: Useful...? There's no way we'd be able to operate stuff like tanks and heavy weapons...?

: Huh? Really? In my country, even a child in grade school can operate a tank, no problemo!
: ...No problemo!?
: A course in modern warfare is a required class in all our grade schools.

An obsession with anime, and now this...? Sonia's country never ceases to baffle me...

: However...weapons are only weapons when humans start to use them...

: If no one uses them, they are nothing more than scrap metal.
: You're right... Unfortunately, this stuff in the base probably won't be useful to us...
: No...that is wrong.

: Well...I have discovered a puzzling document in the tank operator's seat.
: That's the Future Foundation's insignia! "Jabberwock Island Development Plan"...!? Wh-What is this!?
: I assume it belongs to Monokuma, and it was placed rather ostentatiously... I do not know how much we can trust it. Do you think it could be a useful clue?

Monokuma probably did leave it. Like you said, it's hard to know how much we can trust it...

: ...So what does it say?
: Beyond what is written in here, I do not know much...

: But it does document Jabberwock Island's redevelopment plan at considerable length.
: What is that plan?
: To place Jabberwock Island under the Future Foundation's control, and prepare it as a central headquarters...
: A central headquarters for the Future Foundation...? I thought Jabberwock Island was a tourist destination. Why would the Future Foundation be interested in it?

: In actuality...there was something written in here that caught my attention... The travel agency that managed Jabberwock Island went bankrupt, so the island was uninhabited for a long time. Because of that, the island was unaffected by the incident, which allowed them to easily gain a foothold.
: W-Wait, hold on...! This place was uninhabited for a long time? If that's true, the maintenance here has been way too attentive... The items at the supermarket are always stocked, and the hotel is still really clean...
: Could that be the Future Foundation's responsibility?
: But more importantly, what's the incident!? What does it mean that the island was unaffected by it!?
: I cannot discern that from this passage alone... Simply reading this will not help me grasp what those words mean...
: However...there is one more thing that caught my attention...
: There's...more...?
: Do you remember the guidebook to Jabberwock Island in the library?

: It was written there that the central island houses a large administrative building...
: However, we could not find that building anywhere... We even commented on how strange that was, right?

: But according to this plan, the building that the Future Foundation is planning to use for their headquarters...
: Could it be...that same building?
: They are planning to rebuild it and use it as the Future Foundation's headquarters...or so it is written...
: Wh-What the heck... It's so inconsistent... How do you rebuild a building that doesn't even exist...? Dammit! What the hell is going on!?

: We were so distracted by all of the horrible situations that kept happening, one after the other... We might have overlooked...a more pressing issue.

And that...is the mystery of this island...

But what's really going on? This mystery doesn't make any sense... No matter how much we think about it, there's no reason behind it...

: Looks like we've got some big things to think about now. We'll continue exploring the rest of the island in the next update.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

: A course in modern warfare is a required class in all our grade schools.

: Fifty thousand people used to live on this island...

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If I were playing this game I don't think I'd be able to put it down at this point.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Robindaybird posted:

I seem to remember people quickly intervening to keep Steve from taking advantage of Sonia's naivety and everyone else just generally avoiding Steve because he creeps them out so much.

You're right that the others seem to mostly avoid Steve. I guess it's because he's supposed to be the comedic pervert archetype, but it felt like the others treated his behavior lightly. Him trying to trick Sonia had Nagito and Hajime go "Haha oh you~ But we'll still stop you though". And it's played for laughs, but Steve also felt up Nekomaru when they were on the beach, and took advantage of a blackout to hug Hajime. It's why it was rad that Steve's own creepiness was the nail in the coffin for him back in the first trial.

Oh what the fresh hell is this? :stare:

There sure is a lot to process in this update. What interests me is Kazuichi theorizing that a bunch of rich people are making them kill each other. The name and picture of the founder of Hope's Peak was shown during chapter 4, so maybe this is a build-up to them being the mastermind?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Fedule posted:

: Fifty thousand people used to live on this island...

15 students used to live on this island. Now its a ghost town.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
This Island looks like a Bad Future Version of a Zone from Sonic CD, especially after the last area.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh boy, we've reached the best chapter. :dance:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm not sure what to think about the game having Souda point out the ridiculousness of its own premise - that some students killing each other could trigger a chain reaction that ends global civilization.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 16, 2017

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

Enormous buildings towered everywhere, as if the entire island were one gigantic city... It felt very sci-fi...as though the island was a snapshot of an urban metropolis from the near future.

I feel like you'd be able to see that from the other islands.

amigolupus posted:

What interests me is Kazuichi theorizing that a bunch of rich people are making them kill each other. The name and picture of the founder of Hope's Peak was shown during chapter 4, so maybe this is a build-up to them being the mastermind?

Pretty sure it's a 999 joke.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, that reminded me about the conversation between Akane and Junpei regarding Lord Gordain.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not sure what to think about the game having Souda point out the ridiculousness of its own premise - that some students killing each other could trigger a chain reaction that ends global civilization.

Souda would be excellent at CinemaSins.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Did this ever finish?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

What do you mean? The original LP was stopped when the english games released. This LP is still ongoing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

FPzero posted:

What do you mean? The original LP was stopped when the english games released. This LP is still ongoing.

Oh, I thought this was the original. Thanks for doing it, I can't afford the games and wouldn't have time to play them even if I could.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The original stopped before the Chapter 3 killer reveal.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, there are so many murder weapons and we haven't even hit the rest of the island.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Please, please let this arc include Sonya blasting her way into that tower from earlier with the tank

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Our next stop is the Vendor Street.

: Fuyuhiko's the only one here. In fact he's the only thing you can interact with.

: I was wondering who was lured here by the smell. I expected Akane though, not you...
: I wasn't lured by the smell or anything.
: Looks like this street is full of food vendors... But as you can see...there's no customers or staff. Only the food is here.

Normally...a street like this would be bustling with activity. But there's no one here...

: ...It's actually pretty creepy to think about.

: The 3rd Hidden Monokuma isn't really hiding but he's here eating a bowl of noodles. You can't see it in these still screenshots but he's actually animated.

: On a whim I talked to Fuyuhiko again since there's nothing else to see here.

: ...I actually don't mind places like this. It takes me back to when I would gather "earnings"...
: Earnings...?
: It's nothing... People who live honest lives are better off not knowing.

: Moving on, there's this very ominous looking Monokuma factory.

White smoke is billowing from the building in the back. Is this some kind of factory? But if it's got Monokuma's face on it, I'm sure it's a shady factory anyway...

: Ah, Hajime. Good timing.
: What's up, Chiaki?
: This building clearly looks suspicious, right? I was thinking it might be good if I thoroughly look around inside, but...

: Since it clearly looks suspicious, I thought it'd be dangerous to go alone.
: ...Then do you want to go inside together?
: Mmm...

I'm surprised you didn't say "okay". Why are you hesitating?

: Let's head on in.

: All right...then I'm going inside.

: ...Wh-What the heck is this!?

What was being manufactured one after the other and being carried away on a conveyor belt was...

...Monokuma.

: Well that's pretty unsettling to watch. But before we look further, our 4th Hidden Monokuma is actually hiding inside this basket.

: Chiaki did come in with us.

She's just blankly staring at the machine... Looks like she's taken aback, too. Well, that's obvious I suppose.

: Watching simple machines like this reminds me of games.
: ...Games?
: Like this one game where you just put caps on pens...or another game where you try to guess a person's gender.

...Is that even fun?

: There are a couple things to look at here.

The Monokumas are being tossed into this gigantic basket, one after the other...

: They better not be real...

I picked one up with my hand.

: I see...so these are plushies.
: Monokuma plushies... Ah, the real Monokuma is sort of like a plushie, too... But...unlike him, these are probably actual plushies.

: Harumph! Isn't the resemblance uncanny? They're my life-size plushies!
: ...L-Life-size plushies?
: Puhuhu...I was planning to hit the big time with these. That's why I'm making them like crazy.
: Har har har! I'm gonna be rich! *leaves*

: But...you've made way too many. You're gonna be overstocked when it's all said and done.

Monokuma's life-size plushie...

...I don't want it.

The conveyor belt is endlessly moving through this enormous machine. The coconut tree carried by the conveyor belt is processed and eventually...made into this stupid thing.

: Mmm...I see. So this place is for manufacturing life-size Monokuma plushies.
: Wh-What kind of messed up place is this!?

: Don't look down on me...! Do you really think it's just for life-size plushies?
: Puhuhu, there's a lot more Monokuma merch in the goods warehouse next door! *leaves*

: ...What should we do?
: Honestly...I really don't feel like going.
: But what if there's some kind of important clue? What are you gonna do?
: Y-You're right... Then...we should go there for just a little while.

Looks like the break room is on the other side of this door. It sounds like a place for housewives to gossip, but it doesn't seem like there's anyone at this factory.

: That's everything in the factory itself. Let's go check the goods warehouse.

Without thinking, I peeked into the piled up stacks of cardboard boxes...

*Rustle... Rustle...*

There's a Monokuma calendar, a Monokuma sandbag, and even a Monokuma guitar...! First there was the Monokuma Archive in the Funhouse, now there's a plushie factory and all these goods...

: ...How full of himself is he?

: Mascot popularity doesn't last forever! I gotta earn the big bucks while I can! A mascot that isn't popular anymore is like a piece of candy without any sugar...
: In other words, it has no reason for existing! *leaves*

He's starting to talk even crazier...!

: There's a variety of things to examine here.

There's a bunch of books stacked up high. What in the world are these?

: ...Monokuma's Poetry Collection!? How stupid...! Who the hell is going to read this crap...!?

: There's another book here, too. Let's see... Monokuma's Most Precious Moments".
: ...That's the actual title of this book, but it's a collection of nude photos.
: ...Monokuma is already naked.
: I know.

There are a bunch of cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other. There are various goods inside them. There are even household appliances and musical instruments. They're probably used for packaging goods before they're shipped. Looks like they're waiting to be shipped, but I doubt these are ever going to leave the island.

: It's like I can tell just from the ambiance...that there are no important clues here.
: Well, at least we confirmed that...

: All this stacked up stuff...is a bunch of CDs.

: I thought these were gonna be video games, but they're just music CDs.
: The jacket says, Monokuma's Collection of Songs and Ballads"... Is he planning to release an album?
: Character songs are all the rage these days, but I'm not all that interested in derivative works like that.

I've never heard of a mascot selling his own character songs...

: Plus, it looks like he's already produced his 100th song. See, the 100th track is a festive, psychopop, dance rap that he performs with all his might.
: I don't even know where to begin.

This...looks like a Monokuma panel. But why so many?

: I was thinking about using these to decorate the stores that sell my merch and make 'em look all BOOM! Then they'd stand out you know?
: ...No store would sell your stuff.
: Of course not...you're such a fool... That's why I'll open an official Monokuma Shop! I'm thinking about opening chains all over the world! Of course, the main attraction will be my life-size Monokuma plushie!

I can't believe you thought that far into the future when you made these... Your business is doomed to fail.

: Enough already! You have no business sense anyway, so just stop it!
: Hey hey, don't say that... Let's do our best together! We'll be as popular as pogs were in the 90s...!
: Um...don't you remember how long those stayed popular? Besides, if you're serious about opening a business, you've already committed a major mistake...
: ...because there's no merch of meeeee!

: Oh Monomi...my little sister... Don't you know the Aesop's fable about "The Rabbit and the Bear"?
: Not a tortoise...?
: A long, long time ago...there were these two old guys.
: Two old guys living together!?

: The old guys thought, "Rabbits aren't as popular as bears." ...The End.
: Huh? Did you even need the old guys in that story!?
: So even if I made merch of you, it's pointless.
: A half-pink rabbit is so lame! You don't even have one ounce of good fashion sense!
: You did this to me! You're the one who has no fashion sense!

: Ora ora ora ora ora ora, ora ora ora!

: Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! What a hopeless way of snapping back!

: But honestly...I can't help but feel like I might've made too many panels...
: So whoever wants to decorate the room, please do it as much as you like!
: C'mon, what are you waiting for!?

: Hajime, let's run...!
: Y-You're right!

Music fades out.

We ran out of the warehouse, narrowing avoiding Monkuma's plan for inventory disposal.

: It's like...you just got tired...
: ...Yeah, you're right.

: Before we leave, one last check-in with Chiaki.

: There are never hints in obviously suspicious places. Anyone who looks obviously suspicious isn't the killer.
: That's usually the norm.

: Let's get outta this creepy place.

: Hey Hajime, I was looking for you...
: What's up, Fuyuhiko?
: I was thinking you've probably finished exploring this island by now...
: You're right... I think I've explored everywhere at last once for now.
: Then do you want to meet up with everyone and discuss things?
: Yeah, I don't mind...

: I figured it'd be annoying if we all went back to the hotel for this... But there's a street nearby lined with food vendors so I told everyone to meet up there.
: I'm heading over there right now. Hurry up and come over. *leaves*

After letting me know, Fuyuhiko left the area.

: He actually took the time to tell everyone about that, huh...?

Well, now's not really the time to be impressed by something like that.

: It'd be bad to make the others wait... I should hurry over to the street with the food stands.

: Next time, a meeting at the food stands.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The animations that play out when you enter an area where all the sprites slide into place have always been really nifty and are a signature Thing in Danganronpa, and the one for the Vendor Street is probably my favourite one ever.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Fedule posted:

The animations that play out when you enter an area where all the sprites slide into place have always been really nifty and are a signature Thing in Danganronpa, and the one for the Vendor Street is probably my favourite one ever.

It looks really flickery on PC though. I've noticed some graphical issues with the PC port in general. Weird layering and flickers in places, there's also some screen tear in trials at times. Maybe the bump up to 60fps had a couple drawbacks.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Monokuma continues to be annoying and creepy like always.

The 'let's run!' part was great. Chiaki is awesome.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly, I think Monokuma's just been having fun playing Factorio in here. Not his fault the only thing he gets inspiration from is himself.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

FPzero posted:

She's just blankly staring at the machine... Looks like she's taken aback, too. Well, that's obvious I suppose.

: Watching simple machines like this reminds me of games.
: ...Games?
: Like this one game where you just put caps on pens...or another game where you try to guess a person's gender.

...Is that even fun?

The pen thing is a reference to Work Time Fun, isn't it? Come on, Hajime. It must be, it has 'fun' right in the name. :v:

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

FPzero posted:

: Well that's pretty unsettling to watch. But before we look further, our 4th Hidden Monokuma is actually hiding inside this basket.
Now that's just playing dirty.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Quantum Toast posted:

That goes from "needle in a haystack" to "needle in a stack of needles".

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Stephen9001 posted:

That goes from "needle in a haystack" to "needle in a stack of needles".

And doesn't it just fill you with *~despair~*? :devil:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

And doesn't it just fill you with *~despair~*? :devil:

Actually, it fills me with the feeling of lots of pointy things poking in my skin. More of a yelling than a sobbing feeling.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/932330382686552064

This game is fun to record.

I think the jump to 60fps for the PC port had the effect of making certain hidden things become "visible". For example, back in Chapter 4's Strawberry Tower, you can actually see Nekomaru's dead body and the crime scene for one frame during the fade in. This happens even during the Daily Life. Obviously you won't be able to tell during normal play but sometimes I rewind footage to look at blips I notice and yeah that was a surprising find.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 19, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

FPzero posted:

https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/932330382686552064

This game is fun to record.

I think the jump to 60fps for the PC port had the effect of making certain hidden things become "visible". For example, back in Chapter 4's Strawberry Tower, you can actually see Nekomaru's dead body and the crime scene for one frame during the fade in. This happens even during the Daily Life. Obviously you won't be able to tell during normal play but sometimes I rewind footage to look at blips I notice and yeah that was a surprising find.

Clearly, proof that the island is actually the matrix. Things blink in and out of existence!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At least it wasn't a blind LP so you weren't spoiled :v:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Clearly just some VLR style parallel universe thing going on. Sometimes Mechumaru is dead on the floor, sometimes the couch is very tiny...

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

V3 does something similar at one point, but intentionally, Whenever you enter a certain area with a horror aesthetic, before the room pops up you'll see Monokuma dressed as a ghost for a brief moment.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Quantum Toast posted:

It's actually pretty obvious when you're playing, it's pretty distinct from the rest of them. Hard to tell on the small image, though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: We're supposed to meet up with the others here.

: I did stuff out of order to how I've shown it in the LP, which is why the noodle-eating Hidden Monokuma is there once again.

: All right, looks like everyone's here.
: Huh, what about Nagito?
: Who cares!? It's not like he's our friend or anything!
: I couldn't get in touch with him. I don't know where the hell he is or what he's doing.
: ...So how'd it go? Did you learn anything about the Future Foundation?

: Not really... Like...I feel like I learned stuff...but I also feel like I didn't learn anything...
: It's not clear which information we found is believable, if any...
: However...I believe there is no question that the Future Foundation is behind everything that has been going on.
: Are we sure about that...?
: Huh!?

: Wh-What are you sayin'...? If they're not our enemy, then what are they? If they're our ally, there's no way they'd trap us on this island!
: That's true, but...there's something I've been thinking about...
: Monomi works for the Future Foundation, right? She's pretty much admitted it by this point... But even though Monokuma is forcing us to kill each other, Monomi has been opposing him.
: You mean...pretending to oppose him, right?
: No, I don't think she's pretending. They clearly hate each other.

: Then...it's possible that the enemy of our enemy is actually an ally.
: Because she opposes Monokuma...you think she's our ally?
: Even if they both oppose one another, is it not possible that they are both our enemy?
: Like a three-way battle...that's kinda hot.
: Why, after all this time, are you suddenly backing up the Future Foundation...?

: Are you talking like that because you're actually the traitor that's working for them!?
: D-Don't be a loving idiot!
: No way! You're clearly suspicious! I mean, if you don't--

: Kazuichi Soda! Shut up!
: Yessssssssssss!
: There never was a traitor! Monokuma lied to us!
: L-Lied...?

: It is simply a false entity that Monokuma made up so we would be suspicious of each other!
: How can you not believe in your friends after everything we have endured together!?

Music cuts out.

???: Weak...how weak...

: Instead of facing the problem directly and overcoming it...you're desperately trying to run away...
: That weakness...is hopeless!

N-Nagito..!?

: Nagito...what's he plannin' this time?
: VERY SUSPICIOUS!

: What Nagito just said...
: Is he implying that believing in each other is a weakness!? That is absurd!

: Nagito's a pain in the rear end, but is there anything we can do about Kazuichi's idiocy...? He doubts everyone so easily and never apologizes for it... Well, I guess I'm used to it...

: ...The timing of his arrival seems planned. It seems like he might've been watching our actions...maybe.

: So there you are, Nagito! We didn't invite you here, you annoying bastard!

: Nagito...where have you been this whole time?
: I wondered where your thought process wandered off to... As usual, you guys just keep running around in circles... What are you, hamsters?
: Oops. If I compare you guys to hamsters, will I get yelled at by that weakling who dropped out?
: Wh-What does that...?

: You asked "where I've been this whole time", right?
: Well, I was in the middle of looking for someone.
: Looking for someone...?
: I thought that person might've already arrived...but I guess I was wrong.
: Or maybe...that person is hiding in a secret location and carefully watching us...?
: Hey, who are you talking about...? Are you saying there's someone else on this island besides us...?

: It's probably the survivor of the killing school life.
: If so, a lot of things might start adding up, don't you think?
: Are you...talking about Byakuya? He's the "survivor" you're talking about, right?

: Oh, I see...you guys have only reached that stage...
: What stage...? You're not makin' sense at all!
: NOT MAKING SENSE!

: But still...if you think about it properly, you might be able to figure it out... Why would Byakuya, a survivor of the killing school life, die in vain like he did at the very beginning...?
: Don't you think it's strange?
: What does that mean!?
: The issue is not with what he means! Please take back what you said about Byakuya dying in vain!
: Yeah! Listen to Miss Sonia...!

: You have been acting very strange lately! I do not like this version of Nagito we have been witness to!
: I don't like ya either...well, I never liked ya in the first place!
: Aww...it looks like I'm being hated... Well, that's understandable. There's no way you guys can even comprehend my suffering...
: Knowing the truth...can be pretty painful in its own way.
: The truth...? What truth...? What do you know?
: Curious, are you...? But...why don't I tell you guys that after we've found out who the traitor is?

: To tell you the truth, I still haven't figured out who the traitor is...
: But it won't take me very long! You guys don't have to worry...
: I'll weed out the traitor, even if it costs me my life!
: Y-You're going to weed out the traitor...?

: A-As I have already said, there is no traitor!
: Heh, I'll be in the end, you're just gonna raise your hand and go, "I'm actually the traitor!", right!?
: Hahaha! You're a funny guy, Kazuichi! But...why don't I tell you guys that after we've found out who the traitor is? If I'm able to wipe out all the despair on this island, will I...?

: Will I become...the Ultimate Hope?
: Ultimate Hope...?
: What the hell are you talking about? Have you finally lost your drat mind?

: Now then, I should get going... But if you see Monokuma again, there's something I want you to tell him. Tell him...he doesn't need to provide a motive anymore.
: Tell him not to worry because I'm planning to go all out. Besides, the next one will probably be the last...
: Nagito...what does that mean?
: ...Bye. *leaves*

Nagito ignored Chiaki's question and left us. We were powerless to stop him. It was clear to us...that trying to stop him would just be useless.

: I don't want to think about it, but...could he be planning a kill?
: A k-kill!? Who!? Who's he gonna kill!?
: Based on how he was talking...it looks like his target is the traitor...
: There is no such person! I mean...the notion that one of us has been deceiving us all along... I will never, ever believe that!

Like Sonia said, I can't believe it either... I don't think any of us could do that. But...what if it's Nagito?

Or... What if whoever it is has forgotten about it? What if the traitor...has forgotten that they're the traitor...? Just like how I forgot that I don't have a talent...?

: Well, regardless of who he's targeting... There's a high chance that he's planning to kill, right?
: Then we gotta tie him up again! Forcing him to stop is the only way!
: It's impossible... Nekomaru's not even here anymore...

: Heh, I've got what it takes to deal with someone as weak as him...!
: I'M HERE, TOO!
: Then...that's a "yes," right? Just leave it to me... Once I come up with a plan, we'll meet up again...!

Tie up Nagito, huh... Kazuichi is right. It's dangerous to let Nagito wander freely. If we're being cautious, we have to act fast...

But...what is this indescribale anxiousness I'm feeling?

I hope...it just means I'm thinking too much...

Music fades out.

For the time being, we decided to finish our exploration of the final island and returned to the hotel.

It was already dark by the time we returned to the hotel.

: Instead of being forced into our cottage, we can actually walk around a little bit. Most people aren't asleep yet.

: I believe...that there is no traitor...
: No, that is not the issue! After all, it is impossible!
: Why does Nagito not understand that? And furthermore...he even made an insulting remark about Gundham!

: Gundham...gave his life so he could teach us something important...
: Sonia...
: At the time, Gundham scolded me for attempting to stop his execution... But looking back on it...he would forgive me with a smile on his face, right?
: Yeah...definitely...
: Gundham stayed true to himself until the very end... I will never forget that!

: I'll do Nekomaru's share of the grunt work...!
: I'm pretty confident about my strength. As long as nobody grabs my tail, there won't be any problems.
: You...have a tail...?
: Obviously, I'm jokin'.
: OBVIOUSLY!

: Don't be thinking stuff like, "If you wanna see a tail, I got one. If you grab it..."
: "...It'll get even more powerful!" Hahahahahahaha!

Th-That's a terrible joke... It's even worse than a joke an old man would make...

: Jeez... Even *her* ignorance has a limit...
: What are you talking about this time?
: ...It's Sonia. She had the nerve to say she wanted to check out my body.
: Huh!? Your body!?
: D-Don't think about weird things, you bastard!

: It wasn't like that... I don't know where she heard it from, but... She came up to me and said, "Real yakuza are supposed to have tattoos, so show them to me!"
: Oh...so that's what it was...
: It's not funny for her to tell me to strip right in front of her! Who does she think she is!? Besides...tattoos aren't supposed to be gawked at!

: Chiaki is inside the hotel.

: The plan to capture Nagito, huh... Akane looked pretty confident, but is she really going to be all right? I mean, she's strong but Nagito is, you know, unpredictable.
: You're right but...I don't know how else we're supposed to catch him.
: I don't even know if this is the right thing to do...
: If Nekomaru was still here, would he let Akane go through with this?

: Ah, actually, he'd probably get pumped up about our capturing plan along with her.
: You know...he *did* capture him once before.
: And Kazuichi helped him that time, too. It feels like...Gundham and Nekomaru are scolding us for not growing at all.
: ...Maybe.

: Before we go back to our cottage, I figured I'd check Gundham and Nekomaru's cottages.

Nekomaru, you were a strong man. You were always straightforward...because you were strong.

: But...strength doesn't mean anything when you're dead...

: Gundham...I won't forget your final message... "Don't give up on life."

Even now, those words are still etched into my heart. I don't know if I'll find any answers, but... We...will continue to press forward...so you won't lecture us...!

: For some reason...I'm really tired today...

Well, since I walked around all day today, I was able to obtain several clues... Although I'm not really certain if you can even call these clues... Instead...I feel like we're just suffering from more mysteries that don't make sense...

: ...This isn't good. As soon as nighttime hits, I can't stop thinking all these pessimistic thoughts... This might be a bad habit of mine.

I should just get some sleep for today. Rest my mind for a while... And then...I'll give this some more thought tomorrow.

: Words are extremely dangerous. Unlike letters, words cannot be undone with erasers or with a backspace. That's why you need to be extremely careful. Same goes for me. There was a time in my past when I went through a lot of trouble cuz of that... That's right...when I was being trained at the safari park...
: At the time, there were two animals at the park that I got along with. One was a squirrel named Sr. Dietrich, and the other was a fox named Chacha Jr. To be honest, Chacha Jr. was really stupid... If a female employee tried to have a serious talk with him, he'd just stare at her boobs the whole time. That's why Sr. Dietrich would order him to steal panties. And that idiot would get real happy when he exchanged the panties he stole for Dietrich's old undies.
: Also, this one time... The three of us went to a steakhouse, and the waiter asked, "How would you like it cooked?" Chacha Jr. proudly said, "Well done!"
: Sr. Dietrich was pretty crafty, he knew how to play Chacha Jr. He made Chacha Jr. abduct a fawn and drown it, then he saved that drowning fawn himself... And he made Chacha Jr. tell everyone about it. Man, he really did some shady things.
: Anyway...the three of us were getting along together. We were living a fun life in the safari park. That's right...until the day I ended up saying *those* words. I accidentally said this to Chacha Jr.: "Foxes are squirrels' natural enemies." The next day, I stumbled across what was left of Sr. Dietrich. He had been eaten. Good thing I immediately tattled to a male employee so he could put down Chacha Jr. with a hunting rifle... Even now, I regret saying what I said back then.
: Jeez... Squirrels have it rough. They have so many natural enemies.

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

"Diamond Dogs? They're pretty good...

But they've got nothing on my doooooooooooooooog...."

FPzero posted:

: Now then, I should get going... But if you see Monokuma again, there's something I want you to tell him. Tell him...he doesn't need to provide a motive anymore.
: Tell him not to worry because I'm planning to go all out.

:getin: :bisonyes: :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

quote:

: To tell you the truth, I still haven't figured out who the traitor is...
: But it won't take me very long! You guys don't have to worry...
: I'll weed out the traitor, even if it costs me my life!

... Right now I'm suddenly regretting NOT having Nagito in my death pool.

• Locked thread