Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FPZero, do what feels most manageable for you. This is a hell of a project and you've put a ton of effort into it. It's better that you get the content out in a way that works for you rather than burn out completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought of another option for the novel: the audiobook option. Have volunteers read sections of it, edit that together with the music, and post the resulting videos. I'm sure it's not very practical, but it is another option.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

timp posted:

Do all these other games like UDG, 2.5, and whatever else feature that same gameplay? Also, I’ve heard people say DR3 is bad. But does it have a killing game and class trials? Are they, for the most part, as well done as the vast majority of trials in both DR1 and 2?

I haven't seen 2.5, but I heard what happens, and there's no game to it, killing or otherwise. It's too short for a game to happen in it, anyway.

Discomusic
Aug 8, 2016

There's something i don't get: is this the finale pic of the regular LP? No epilogue, no credits roll? Only extra updates from here on?

EDIT: nevermind, i just found out that i have missed un update. Sorry, folks.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

FPZero, do what feels most manageable for you. This is a hell of a project and you've put a ton of effort into it. It's better that you get the content out in a way that works for you rather than burn out completely.

This. I'm perfectly fine with the next parts just being a video, if that makes life easier for you.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
If you do videos of the free times, I won't watch, but I'm probably not your intended audience.

I am interested in the written version of the first game, and would really enjoy reading it along with the music that it shows - for me, the simplest would be having a music link to click before the section of novel. If the music is not anything that was from the games, forget that part of it. I won't watch a video of text that I have to pause to read.

Backgrounds are not important. If you could get the script, then linking parts of it with the appropriate music might work like a screenshot LP - play this music, read this text.

If it all changes constantly though that's way more complex and you really don't need to go to that effort.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought of another option for the novel: the audiobook option. Have volunteers read sections of it, edit that together with the music, and post the resulting videos. I'm sure it's not very practical, but it is another option.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to read for an audiobook, and the type of people who might volunteer for this role? With the audience that this LP has?

Christ, I will never forget when in orenronen's DR1 LP people took it on themselves to post voice samples of their version of the characters. A guy saying "I'm Bayah-Kooya" was a highlight

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

dancingbears posted:

To be honest, I spent some time getting mad at how conveniently this ending sidesteps the whole "horrible choice" thing that was so engaging, and how Chiaki and Usami just suddenly reappear when it's established they're super duper dead. That was until I noticed this, back in the Prologue chapter:

That is to say, I'm like 95% certain this ending is Izuru double crossing Junko. Before he went under, he hacked the program and left a backdoor for himself, should Hajime notice it, that lets him totally screw over Junko and ruin her entire plan in front of her face, presumably to spite her for getting him involved in the Tragedy of Hope's Peak.

Well, that's really the only way I can make sense of the ending, so... :shrug:

A few pages late but I really like this interpretation. As inspirational a finale as the whole thing had, once the initial HELL YEAH feelings wore off it was hard to ignore that all the very real concerns the characters had and this no win scenario the game had presented were all instantly made insignificant by Hajime starting to glow and shouting about the future a lot.

Now it even makes sense why he'd make a good faith attempt to be Hajime again even with all his memories of the game erased. He'd set out to confront Junko face to face and overcome her hold on him, and the fact that the shutdown sequence happened at all is enough to make him know he succeeded.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

eating only apples posted:

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to read for an audiobook, and the type of people who might volunteer for this role? With the audience that this LP has?

Christ, I will never forget when in orenronen's DR1 LP people took it on themselves to post voice samples of their version of the characters. A guy saying "I'm Bayah-Kooya" was a highlight

Didn't a load of people get banned specifically because of the danganronpa lp?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

ilmucche posted:

Didn't a load of people get banned specifically because of the danganronpa lp?

From what I remember it became huge amongst the tumblr crowd and whenever it went behind a paywall a bunch of people who had no idea what SA is flooded in for that single thread and either complained or were even more goony than goons which naturally led to a lot of bans. It also featured a lot of people typing “gently caress” because they didn’t know about the word filter. That thread was a loving trip.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Oh man that thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

From what I remember it became huge amongst the tumblr crowd and whenever it went behind a paywall a bunch of people who had no idea what SA is flooded in for that single thread and either complained or were even more goony than goons which naturally led to a lot of bans. It also featured a lot of people typing “gently caress” because they didn’t know about the word filter. That thread was a loving trip.

not to mention people were sharing accounts to avoid paying the $10 - so those mule accounts got banned after someone using one blew the whistle.

And it wasn't just the tumblr crowd it's the tumblr Homestuck crowd during the Great Hiatus, and even among the tumblr fandom, Homestuck was especially known for being batshit crazy.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I really enjoyed the hard boiled detective mspa, but drat homestuck was boring and dragged on forever.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

ilmucche posted:

I really enjoyed the hard boiled detective mspa, but drat homestuck was boring and dragged on forever.

I will fight you

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

curiousCat posted:

I will fight you

:same:

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Okay, I binged this over the course of one week and I was ready to be super mad over the ending but it managed to pull through.

The only question I have is why the heck is backing up anyone's statement called consenting and not concur or some word like that?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, the cast ballooned and with all the interleaving plotlines it got hard to follow so I gave up. Lots of neat little narrative ideas throughout, though.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Homestuck was Fine and did a lot of interesting things but Problem Sleuth was better overall.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If you liked the unfolding world and bizarre realities of Problem Sleuth and early Homestuck, check out Awful Hospital. It's the best (and possibly only) remaining reader-driven comic out there, and does good things with the concept.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

eating only apples posted:

You can’t post this without a link.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm sad that all the good LPs are over now. I keep coming to this subforum by reflex but there's no DR and no VLR and no Automata and I don't know what to click. :(

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zoe posted:

I'm sad that all the good LPs are over now. I keep coming to this subforum by reflex but there's no DR and no VLR and no Automata and I don't know what to click. :(

Fedule is doing a follow up LP that seems pretty good so far, though it's nothing like VLR... but then again what is.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I looked into UStream and it seems like it has a free account but there are mandatory ad interruptions played mid-stream unless you're paying serious money. I'm not so hot on the ads. CyTube seems like a more likely solution since I think I could host them on my Google Drive but I'll have to play around with it first since I'm unfamiliar. Too bad Synchtube doesn't support most places outside of Youtube, that's the service I'm most familiar with using. I'll let people know if and when I come up with a solution.

For DR If, I think I'll go the route that was suggested of having both full script and summaries. I just need to find the English script online or extract it from the game somehow. I wasn't too hot on the videos idea either.

For Free Times, I think I'll do both video and pure screenshot updates and put the screenshots behind SSLP Testposter links like was suggested. I'd love to have the images inline in the thread and eventual archival, but I don't want to dump too many images on each page. I still plan to include music links with the Free Times.

Well, I guess I've got my plan of action laid out. Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and start work on some part of all this bonus material soon!

Zoe posted:

Sad times indeed. It also feels weird for me to not really have any LPs going on right now aside from this one. But soon I'll be starting up my long-awaited (to some) Metroid Prime 3 LP, though that's obviously a totally different type of game and LP compared to this one.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Zoe posted:

Arist's LP of Persona 5 is still going, or at least I think it is. I fell behind with it and now that the LPs I'm following are finished I have the time to catch up on it again. There's also some old, long-finished LPs that I've been meaning to finish for a while, like Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Neverwinter Nights 2. I'm sure there are some deep cuts out there that I can find if I really look for them, too.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Solitair posted:

Arist's LP of Persona 5 is still going, or at least I think it is.
It is still going and it is still very good.

Oh, and the Fifty Shades of Grey Warden LP of Dragon Age Origings is slow moving but also very good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm (slowly) working on the prep, but I do want to start an LP sometime next month.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh yeah, for real, LP keeps on going. It is pretty amusing/cool/maybe a little sad that a bunch of good threads wrapped up at about the same time but that's just how it goes.

Let's not turn this thread into a satellite office for Request/Recommendations though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

An Update:

I'm just busy with classes right now and haven't really stopped to think about LP updates. And when I do have free time I've been working on a long-backburnered non-LP project of mine for a change of pace. I hope to get back to this soon but I have a new project due every week until the 24th of April and so that's where my focus has been lately. Just figured I'd let you know what's going on.

I also bought myself a cool new avatar. heck yeah.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I wonder if anyone even still has this bookmarked...

Well, it's currently the end of July, four and a half months since the Epilogue update was posted. This LP has been a long one. It took about a year and a half to do 200+ updates, a pace which was probably pretty unhealthy all things considered. But I wanted to get it done so I could see everyone's reactions to some of the crazier moments later in the game. And I had a great time with that, especially towards the end when I had to try and figure out how to present some of the more visually heavy things in screenshots. You all have been a great audience, and I'm glad we were finally able to see the end of this game in LP format together.

But unfortunately, I think it's evident by this point that I'm not going to end up finishing all of the bonus content for this LP. Or even any of it. Basically, I finished up recording the ending back in February, finished writing the updates in March, and then haven't opened the game once since then. I just haven't felt like it, even with the thread lingering here. By the end I was running on fumes, definitely feeling burnt out on the LP as a whole. I kind of used the excuse of my schoolwork and classes as the reason why I couldn't update, but really the idea of sitting down to write more updates just made me want to do anything else instead. These things happen; at least I managed to get the whole main game finished. That's more important than spending a bunch of time on bonus material anyway.

I currently have no plans for doing anything related to UDG, the DR3 animes, or DRV3. Time and mostly motivation are simply not with me for any of them.

So that's that. I'm going to use the rest of this post as an Extra Content post to put links to stuff we didn't get to that I'd planned to write updates about, like Free Times.

----------------
Free Time Roundups:

These all come from the Youtube channel "justonegamr". They're the leftover Free Times for characters we didn't get to in uncommentated video format, so feel free to watch through the events to see what I didn't get to. "Event X/5" tells you how far along in someone's Free Times we actually got, so 2/5 means we were up to the second event and the link will send you to the timestamp for it in the video. If you don't remember what happened in previous events with a character, you can always just scroll the video back to the events we've already done and get a refresher.

Nagito: *Completed*
Byakuya: Event 2/5
Gundham: *Completed*
Kazuichi: Event 1/5
Teruteru: Event 1/5
Nekomaru: Event 1/5
Fuyuhiko: Event 5/5
Akane: Event 1/5
Chiaki: Event 1/5
Sonia: *Completed*
Hiyoko: Event 1/5
Mahiru: Event 1/5
Mikan: Event 3/5
Ibuki: Event 2/5
Peko: Event 1/5

----------------
Danganronpa IF:

Danganronpa IF is a light novel written by Ryōgo Narita. Taken from the summary on the Danganronpa Wiki, it "explores what would have happened if Makoto Naegi had received the Escape Button from the MonoMono Machine in the beginning of the game, which helps him slowly regain his memories." Basically, it's a "What if?" type of story and is pretty good overall. DR2 included it as an extra mode at the end of the game so you can read it all accompanied by game music and background images for setting.

-If you just want to read a detailed synopsis of the plot, the Danganronpa Wiki has a page for that.
-If you want to read to whole thing, it looks like someone uploaded the whole English translation to Wattpad.
-If you actually want to watch the whole thing and see it as it's presented in game, the justonegamr YT channel has a playlist for that.

----------------
Island Mode:

Island Mode is exactly the same as School Mode from the first game in that it's another What If scenario where the kids don't have to participate in a Killing Game.

This time, Usami defeats Monokuma as soon as he appears by getting the jump on him during his opening monologue. With him no longer a threat, the kids are set to actually live out their tropical lives in peace. The gameplay part of this is exactly the same as in DR1 School Mode. You can read the School Mode update for DR1 if you want a refresher. DR2 is actually where the School/Island Mode originated, with School Mode being back-ported to the Vita release of the first game.

In the end, the kids manage to collect all the Hope Fragments and get off the island or something. I've never actually finished this mode because it's really time-consuming, but if you just like character interaction there's actually a ton of extra character stuff you can do here with Trip Tickets and spending time with people outside free times events.

----------------
Unused Thread Ideas:

AI Chiaki and the Looping Debate:
So during the final trial, I tried messing around with the idea of my narration being the ingame hint system and when the interface blew up during one of the final debates, my posting went with it and we got caught in the looping debate. It was a weird idea, but still a fun one to do. But I had the problem of trying to convey to the thread that I wanted them to break us out of the looping debate by posting what they thought was the answer without being able to tell them that was the case. So I tossed a little AI Chiaki thing into the thread and made it look like she was talking through my narration and...yeah it got a little silly. But it could've been sillier.

I actually debated with Fedule the idea of registering a forums account and going full meta with her request to the thread. In the end, we either decided it was a bit too much, or I decided I really didn't want to spend $15 for the account + avatar for a one-off joke especially when I had no way to gauge what the reaction would've been like. Would it have been worth it? I guess we'll never know.

The Glitchy Monokuma Theater:
Another dumb idea I had was to sneak a variant of "And don't forget to Vote 5!" into Monokuma's crazy glitchy Monokuma Theater in Chapter 6. I think Fedule talked me out of this one and in the end I agree with him.

----------------
Other Trivia:

A lot of this comes from various rumors and other sources I've heard over the years. I can't say how much of it is totally accurate but it all seems to be treated as true within the DR community.

So we all noticed how Hiyoko's death in Chapter 3 seemed really out of place and poorly explained. Apparently, this is because she was not supposed to die in Chapter 3 and was instead meant to survive until the end of the game. Fuyuhiko was instead supposed to die in Chapter 3, but the developers realized that killing him one chapter later meant Peko's sacrifice was for nothing and would've undone all chances he had at character development. And if you think about Fuyuhiko's scenes in the rest of the game, nothing he does is really super important to who his character is. You could've probably substituted Hiyoko in for his scenes without much difficulty, Chapter 4 and the two houses being excluded. Honestly, I'm happier with the way we got things since Fuyuhiko's character development is one of my favorite parts of this game. He goes from being dickhead supreme to being dependable, friendly, and an all around good guy to have on your side. This apparently happened pretty late in development, and does explain why Chapter 3 felt so shoddy in comparison to the rest of the trials.

Another rumor is that Junko wasn't originally going to be in the game at all, or at least not as the mastermind. The mastermind was actually going to be Akane. There's basically no details about how this would've turned out, but some early concept art and some of her character sprites back this up a little bit. Especially the evil-looking ones. Additionally, her last name, "Owari", can be translated to "the end", a juxtaposition to how Hajime's first name can be translated to "the beginning". Again, no idea how this would've played out. It seems the change to make her a regular student must've happened pretty early in development.

In the options, there's a music player and you can listen to the game's soundtrack there. When you do, it'll flash different character silhouettes all wearing earbuds and holding ipods:

Some of the character poses here are unique. But here's the interesting part. I have no idea who the bottom rightmost silhouette belongs to! She kind of looks like Mahiru with the short hair and skirt, but there's another Mahiru up above and her clothes are different. She doesn't look like any of the DR1 cast. Maybe it's a leftover beta sprite? The only other girls I can think of who it might be would be Natsumi Kuzuryu (Fuyuhiko's sister, supposedly died in the real world), Sato (the girl that supposedly killed Natsumi and then was killed too), Komaru Naegi (Makoto's sister and the protagonist of Ultra Despair Girls, which didn't come out for at least another year or two after DR2) or maybe most likely, Mukuro. But none of these four girls had character sprites by the time DR2 came out, and though Komaru did get a set for UDG they look nothing like this silhouette. So I have no idea who it is. :iiam:

----------------

This isn't how I'd hoped for the LP to end but I've got to cut my losses here and stop dragging this out. I genuinely appreciate everyone who followed along with the LP, blind or not. It was a lot of fun to make and I'm happy that some of you finally got to see the conclusion years after the first LP stopped. I'm going to take some time to get the thread ready for the LP Archive, and if I can think of anything else I want to add to this Extra Content post I'll edit them in.

Two quick Special Thanks shoutouts before I end. I'd like to thank Fedule for being a friend and sounding board for my silly ideas, and encouraging me to go all out with most of the crazy stuff in Trial 6 among other things. And I'd also like to thank Jimmy4400nav for gifting me a copy of the game on PC so I could record the rest of the LP using it, as well as for coming up with the idea for the Dead Pool betting we had going on in the thread.

This has been Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. Thank you all for reading this LP!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I still do! Thanks for the LP, FPZero, it was awesome :)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the great LP, it was a fun ride!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I enjoyed it too. It was fun.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for lping this game as it was a lot of fun going through all the more crazy twists and turns this game has one more time.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
It was awesome. Thanks!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The level of effort you wanted to bring to the end of this LP before you burnt out is still admirable on its own too. Great work, enjoy your freedom.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Thanks for the LP! Also want to say something, I swore I read a spoiler about this game, something about how Nagito faked his suicide instead of actually dying, so when it got to case 5 I was skeptical of literally everything that was going on. I didn't want to bring it up just in case it still turned out true after Chapter 5, but since it's all over, I want to say it made the game much more of a roller coaster for me to expect one thing and not get it at all.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, thanks. You did good work on this.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Thanks for the LP! I loved watching the reactions and theorizing from everyone following along for the first time. I definitely get the being too burned out to finish the bonus content. I was basically the same way at the end of my Long Live the Queen LP. Doing a screenshot Let's Play is a hell of a lot of work, and coming back from a hiatus can be nearly impossible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Congratulations on finishing RuPaul's Despair Race, FP :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yeah, this was a good one, I read the orenronen LPs and would never have seen the last 2/3rds of this game without you, so thank you. Hope you have more fun with whatever you do next!

• Locked thread