Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Buried alive posted:

I don't know why, but somehow watching 'kuma go after 'mi is really disturbing. It's like a domestic violence dispute or something.

I think that's entirely intentional. Monobear is a huge dick. Everything he does is supposed to be disturbing. If at some point you find yourself thinking "Gee, I think Monobear has the right idea," then something has gone very wrong with your process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
It's not that I've ever thought monokuma was right, it's that when he interacts with regular ("regular"?) people there's a certain WTF-ness to the whole thing that turns it into dark humor for me. Watching him be abusive to something like himself with straight up beatings instead of sending a giant robot after it is..I dunno. Too similar to stuff that actually happens, maybe?

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

FPzero posted:

: (You can press Triangle at any point during this whole scene to add some canned laughter.)

drat, I've played this game and I never noticed this! :shittypop:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think part of it is 'Mi seems wholly incapable of fighting back, it's much like repeatedly kicking a puppy in the face who doesn't understand why it's getting kicked.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Yeah, most of the students at least seem to have something like a backbone, while Monomi seems like too much of a softy to even try defending herself in any way. :smith:

fake edit: pun not intended

BadAsp
Oct 28, 2016

*WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES*
Great LP so far! I expect it to be just as informative as the last one was!

As for the comedy sequence, yes, I have pressed the laugh button during each of the funny moments, but NEVER during the more serious moments, because who would laugh at something like that? (Well, Monokuma would, but still...)

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Buried alive posted:

I don't know why, but somehow watching 'kuma go after 'mi is really disturbing. It's like a domestic violence dispute or something.

Well, in Manzai comedy (the thing the two bears were doing), acts of violence from the straight man against the comedian are common. I believe it's called tsukkomi or something like that.

Course, that's just from repeated viewings of Gaki no Tsukai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUEPptBbIXI

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: ...
: ......Huh?
: ...Wh-What did he mean?

: How was it? Was it funny? Or was the comedy too high-brow for you?
: Hey... What were you saying just now?
: What was I saying just now...
: Oh, you mean when I said that your school memories were completely stolen?

Completely stolen...? Our school memories...completely...?

What...is he saying...?

: Aha...hahaha... There's no way... Cause...I just entered Hope's Peak Academy, and then I was brought to this island...right away...
: That's because that's how you remember it. All thanks to Monomi stealing your school memories...
: Wh-What are you saying!? That's impossible!
: Man...how many years has it been since you guys first entered Hope's Peak Academy...? I wonder what happened to your friends and family? They're probably worried sick about you... Maybe?

: Our school memories were stolen!? That's ridiculous!
: That's right! There's no way I have memory loss!
: D-Don't...don't listen to what he says...
: Blub-blub-blub-blub... Limit breached...
: I refuse to believe such a thing. Yep, everything's okay... I don't believe it...
: Y-You're lying, right...? Stealing our memories...that's a lie, right? You're just trying to make fools out of us, right?

: Nope, it's not a lie. If it was a lie...then how do you explain this? The moment you arrived at Hope's Peak Academy, you all experienced a strange dizziness...
: Wha-!? H-How...do you know that?
: Puhuhu... Why, that was the cut-off point. Your memories beyond that point have been completely removed.
: Wh-What the hell...!?

I could feel myself getting lightheaded. I couldn't think. I couldn't speak. I could only breathe...in heavy, gasping breaths.

: So...a long time has passed...since then...?
: I-Impossible! There's no way!
: On the contrary...why is it impossible?
: Whether or not it's possible...there's no way we can believe it.
: You just don't want to believe it, right?

: But don't worry...I'm a generous guy! I can give you back your memories!
: ...Huh!?
: However...there's a catch.
: Don't tell me the catch is...
: Puhuhu...figured it out yet?

: That's right, you guys have to kill each other! That's my bargaining point!
: Ha-wa-wa!
: You guys wanna know, right? You want your school memories returned to you, right?
: Then you better start killing! A penny for your thoughts, and a murder for your memories!

: Hey... Stop runnin' your mouth.
: My, my...why so angry? I'm just providing you all a motive from the bottom of my big, generous heart! Otherwise, you cowards wouldn't get any killing done!
: Humans are natural born cowards. They even cry after their mom squeezes 'em out.
: That's why I'm giving you a motive. Think of it as an excuse to commit your future crimes.

: S-Stop this at once...! Do you really think your delusional rambling will convince us to commit murder...?
: I don't even believe that memory loss crap in the first place!
: But more than that, what you guys really don't believe is each other, right?
: Wh-What do you mean...!?
: You guys don't know each other. Which means...

Music cuts out.

: None of you realize that a traitor is hiding among you, right?
: Huh...?

: Hey, why are there sixteen of you? If a total of fifteen students from Hope's Peak Academy were arranged to come to this island...
: That's right! There's probably a traitor I don't even know about hiding among the group! ...Just kidding.
: Wh-What are you saying... All this poo poo about traitors doesn't make any sense!
: ...It's obviously nonsense.

: For real, you guys... How can you be so sure? You guys don't know anything about each other. You don't know each other's true natures.
: That's why, if one of you is planning to kill someone, it's impossible for any of you to know.

With those words...everyone fell silent. I wanted someone to argue with him... Anybody... But, nobody said a word. They just stood there.

: Even so...if there really is a traitor, isn't that gosh darn awful? Pretending to be your ally and tricking you guys... It makes sense for someone like that to get killed, right?
: C'mon, make the preemptive strike! It's first come, first served and the winner takes all!
: If you want to survive, you gotta find that person before they find you...
: Aaaaahahahahaha! *leaves*

Even after Monokuma's boisterous laughter faded away, we all just stood there. Every one of us...

This situation, this circumstance, this phenomenon, this disaster, this nightmare, this hell, this despair... It consumed every one of us.

: Is it true...? Is there really a traitor among us...?
: Ah! It's not me by the way! I know I may look suspicious but...it's not me!
: Who is it!? Hurry up and show yourself! You're only making things worse for you by staying silent!
: ...Just stop. There's no way there's a traitor.
: There's no way... It's pointless to even discuss something so foolish.

: Th-That's right...I don't believe it... Because there's no way I can believe it... There's no reason in the first place to believe it...
: Monomi...you would know.
: ...Huh!?
: Is what Monokuma said true? About our memory loss...and about the traitor...?
: Um...I mean... Everyone needs to look to the future... That's why...you shouldn't look back to the past...
: Keep your eyes fixed upon the future. L-Let's do our very best! *leaves*

: Ah, she ran away!
: Hmph, how ridiculous... Memory loss...a traitor...it's completely fictional...
: I can't deal with this bullshit, dumbass!

As he said, it's a work of fiction. It's entirely different from the reality I know. Stolen memories? All of my school memories? Everything? All of my school memories? Everything? A traitor hiding among us? But...what really struck me was when Monokuma said:

"You guys don't know anything about each other."

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... It is now 10:00 p.m. Please return to your rooms and relax. Let the sound of the ocean gently rock you to sleep. Now then, sweet dreams everyone. Good niiiiight...

: ......Hey, what should we do?
: It's better if we call it a night here. We should get some sleep...and try to keep our minds calm.
: ...I guess...you're right.

: Just so you all know... Do not think about unnecessary things. This is your leader's order. Tomorrow morning...let's meet at the restaurant after Monokuma's morning announcement.
: How troubling...I think the saying goes, "I am frightened so stiff..."
: ...I feel pretty stiff right now, too.
: That's...not how that saying goes... B-But it's not her fault! She's a foreigner after all...

Music fades out.

To be honest, I don't really remember what happened after that. But later, I realized something...

I was sitting on my bed inside the cottage, with my head dropping down to my chest.

As I sat there alone, a strange thought suddenly crossed my mind...

"Traitor..."

Could it be...someone who isn't like the others? Like...someone who doesn't even remember what their talent is...?

: Wh-What the hell... I don't understand at all...

I put these stupid thoughts out of my mind, and collapsed onto my bed.

Immediately, I closed my eyes. Closing my eyes was the only thing I could do to escape from this otherworldly reality...

: They say, "Impossible is a word that's only found in a fool's dictionary"... Obviously, it's impossible to use a word that's not in your dictionary. If someone can actually make the impossible possible...
: You can truly call that person someone who doesn't have the impossible!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 4, 2017

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
I forgot how slow this game was to really get going, but once the killing starts it realllly picks up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Definitely changed the structure up quite a bit, front loading a few 'surprises' from the first game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... Gooooood morning, everyone! Looks like today is gonna be another perfect, tropical day! Now then, let's show some enthusiasm and make sure to give it our all today!

...I slowly and awkwardly sat up in my bed. Both my head and my body felt heavy, but...it was still an improvement compared to last night.

: We all said we'd meet at the restaurant...

: Nagito's hanging around outside the cottages.

: Not everyone is as strong as Byakuya... I've never...thought about having to overcome anything before... It's not like I'd just run away from my problems, but... It's more like, I was just living my life without even thinking about them at all. Even so, I was still able to live... But this is different.
: Ah, I'm sorry. I was being too negative...
: No, I understand... I'm the same as well.

: ...But now that we've talked, I feel assured once again. Being loners won't get us anywhere. That's why I think we should all help each other out. Also... I think we need to get stronger. An ordeal like this is what'll make us cling to hope...
: Y-Yeah... You're probably right...
: Well, I'll be heading to the restaurant now. *leaves*

: A few of the girls are hanging around the pool. (Mikan is hidden behind Hiyoko)

: G-Good morning, Hajime.
: Yeah, g'morning.
: Jeez, what's with the sullen face?
: ...Well, I guess I'm not one to talk. I couldn't really sleep last night. I had a lot on my mind, and I don't know if I'll ever get the answers I'm looking for...

: Man, just for kicks, I should prepare some yummy deserts and tea, and invite some people to come chat with me.
: Ah, just so you know, it's gonna be a girls-only gathering. Don't expect the boys to be invited!

Sounds like an excuse for some girl talk. What do girls even talk about? I guess guys will never know...

: I'll go on ahead. You better hurry and go to the restaurant. *leaves*
: This is actually the trigger for another one of those optional scenes if we had the correct present to activate it.

: Jeez, I'm soooo sleepy... Mr. Ham Hands is soooo selfish. It's totally fine to spend the morning sleeping in.
: But, if we need to eat breakfast anyway, what's wrong with eating it together?
: Well, I like to spend my breakfast eating sweets in my room! That's already fine!
: U-Um...

: Eating sweets for breakfast...is bad for your health... You're consuming too many sugars and fats...
: Who made you my doctor? Don't speak to me without my permission.
: Waaaaaaaaah! I-I'm sorry...
: Jeez, listening to this ugly bitch's crying in the morning makes me soooo sick! *leaves*

Hiyoko... You definitely have the Ultimate Bad Attitude...

: G-Good morning...
: Yeah, g'morning.
: Haaah... Haaaaaaah!?

Wh-What is it? I just said good morning. Why is she so shocked?

: My first time greeting someone...and I was actually greeted back! I'm so happy! U-Um... Could you do it one more time?
: Good morning...!
: G-Good morning...
: Hehe, hehehehehehehe...!

What kind of life has she had...?

: While walking around the pool to check for others, we get a Pet notification.

: It appears our Pet is getting ready to evolve! What will it be?

: A quick 100 steps around the pool later and we are the proud new owners of a Snakemi! In 2000 more steps it will evolve once more.

: What your Pet evolves into depends on how high the Hope and Despair Meters are. There are a few different evolution paths and thresholds and we'll probably have time to see a number of them throughout the LP.

: Good nom-nom-noming!
: ...What?
: I thought up a greeting for when we all eat breakfast together! It's a revolutionary new phrase that combines "Good morning!" and "Nom-nom-nom!" at the same time!

: This is definitely the new, hip thing to say! In fact, I'll make sure it's the new, hip thing to say!
: Good nom-nom-noming!
: Sooooo...I'm gonna go tell everyone! *leaves*

Even if she makes it popular, it'll still be limited to this island...

: Good morning, Chiaki.
: .........
: Good morning.
: ...What was that pause for?

: I'm in the middle of doing combo strings. I couldn't really reply.

Doing...what?

: I guess it's almost time. I'll go to the restaurant, then. *leaves*

...Did I interrupt something she was doing?

Several people were already at the restaurant...

But...nobody was talking. Not a single word. While they sat there, the people who were late began to arrive as well...

: ...Is everyone here?
: ...Huh? It seems Fuyuhiko is not here yet.
: Hehe, maybe he already got killed...
: Gyaaah! Dead bodies already!?

: Don't go killing people off... I saw him outside earlier. ...However, he told me he would not be joining us this morning.
: Why does he have to act like a lone wolf at a time like this...?
: C-Could he... Is he thinking up a plan to kill someone by himself...?

: Kazuichi! You should not doubt your friend!
: Well, he's a yakuza, isn't he? Do you understand what that means? He's part of the Japanese mafia!
: I presume he's the kind of person who would not come even if we summoned him...
: I guess it can't be helped... We should just talk among ourselves. Someone can fill him in later.
: Talk...? What are we going to talk about?

: Rejoice... I have decided to throw a party tonight.

...Huh?

: A p-party...?
: That's right. A huge party that will last from sundown to sunrise.
: Party till the sun comes up!?

: Just so we're clear, I will not allow any absences. Your attendance at this party is absolutely mandatory.
: H-Hey... Now's not the time to talk about stuff...like partying!
: On the contrary...there is no better time than this...
: But still...we really shouldn't be partying...

: ...Um, hold on. I agree with Byakuya... It doesn't do us any good to stay bummed out like this...
: In fact, because of the situation we're in, it's probably best if we all strengthen our friendships with one another.
: That's what you thought too, right? That's why you want to throw a party.
: It doesn't matter why I'm doing it... Anyway...it is of vital importance that we all stay in one place tonight.
: ...You say that with such significance.

: It's decided! We're having ourselves a party!
: E-Even so...I'm not sure it needs to last all night...
: ...If I thought that, I would have made that clear from the beginning.
: I-I-I'm terribly sorry! I'm so, so sorry for trying to meddle with your plan!

: It's important to be flexible in situations like this... Perhaps a diversion from all this is just what we need.
: ...Then let's party hard!
: Ah, in that case, I'll put my amazing cooking skills on display for you guys.

: Where is the party going to be held? Would this restaurant be okay?
: No, this won't do... We need a location that's impervious from outsiders. A place even Monokuma cannot enter... What we need is an enclosed space.
: ...An enclosed space?

: If the restaurant won't do, then neither will the lobby... That's not nearly enclosed enough.
: Nor will the cottages... With so many people we would all be pressed up against each other.
: But if you want to be pressed up against each other, then a cottage is clearly the best choice!

: Pressing up against ladies...without sneaking aboard the women-only train in drag... I feel so lucky.
: I can't believe how comfortable you are with saying your perverted thoughts out loud...
: Mmhmhm, I may be a pervert, but I'm the kind of pervert everybody likes!
: Your confidence is seriously impressive...

: Then...how about that old-looking building near this hotel?
: ...That run-down place?
: Yeah, but if we do our best to clean it, I think it'd be perfect. Plus, it's basically the only place that meets our needs for an enclosed space, right?
: Indeed. However, Monomi has forbidden us from entering that old place. As I recall...it's in the middle of being renovated.

: I have heard your conversation! Heard it all with my very own ears!
: Ahem! I have good ears! Cuz I'm a rabbit!
: Oh, so you use your ears. That's strange...
: Huh!?
: Then what is the reason for those surveillance cameras? Are they for Monokuma's eyes only?

: Ah, she looks so disappointed!
: Well, it is of no concern... We can settle that issue another time...
: Regarding the old building! You came to tell us something about it, right!?

: Yes, if it strengthens everyone's bonds with each other, then I will not hesitate to cooperate.
: So in that case, I will allow you to enter the old building! I'll cooperate so we can all party together!
: Together? That's not gonna happen 'cause you're *so* disgusting.
: Do yourself a favor and stay away from mirrors. You'll be grossed out by what you see.
: Ugh... Your kind words make me wanna cry... *leaves*

: Um... So we're all good with the old building?
: Then what about the preparations? If it's in the middle of a renovation, don't we need to clean it first?
: I have never done the dirty work known as "cleaning" before. I am excited to finally experience it!
: No way! There's no way we can dirty our dear princess's hands!

: Nyeeeh, I don't wanna do it either!
: What... Nobody's going to do it...?
: In that case, why don't we decide by a random drawing?
: Random drawing...?

: To be honest, I already prepared a drawing because I assumed something like this would happen.

To go to the trouble of preparing this... Just what did you think would happen...?

: Whoever draws the chopstick with the red mark on it will be in charge of cleaning, okay? Does that sound fair?
: Well then, let us entrust our destinies to the whims of this drawing!
: Well, no hard feelings.

One by one, everybody took turns pulling the chopsticks Nagito held in his hand... And when it was all said and done...

: Huh? I'm left with the red mark!?
: Haha... For someone called the Ultimate Lucky Student, you don't seem very lucky right now...
: Hmm, I guess it can't be helped...
: Well, if it's just cleaning, leave it to me. I'm actually pretty good at it.

: I thought so. You seem like you'd make a good stay-at-home dad.
: ...I'll take that as a compliment.
: I'll handle the cooking. All right, first I need to prepare my ingredients, then I'll start cooking at the old building.

: I, Teruteru Hanamura, will go all out! I will prepare the world's tastiest dishes for you all!
: Then I just need to pass along the party details to Fuyuhiko.
: Let's go about our business then. After Monokuma's nightly announcement, we'll meet at the old building.

After everyone left, I decided to go back to the cottage.

There's still some time before the party... There's no way I can spend it staring into space in my room. Well, since I have some free time, it'd be better if I went and talked to everyone.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

For those who don't know, the women's only carriage (not a whole train, but whatever) is absolutely a real thing in Japan, precisely because of people like Teruteru.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

quote:

Mmhmhm, I may be a pervert, but I'm the kind of pervert everybody likes!

No Steve, you're the pervert no one likes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Steve. you rear end in a top hat

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing long nose doesn't mean Pinocchio/lying in Japan?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
It's more to mimic a Tengu then to indicate lying. She's just being silly.

It's the "swallowing 1000 needles/a blowfish" in Japan, as opposed to the nose growing.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: We have two Free Times to spend with others. I didn't want to continue with Byakuya's events since there are so many other students and Nagito, Teruteru and Fuyuhiko are all unavailable for events right now.

: I settled on visiting with Sonia first. She's actually in her cottage. All we have to do is knock.

: Unlike in the first game, where visiting a character's bedroom was contingent on doing their final Free Time or a plot event, you can visit someone's cottage at any time if they are in it. Sonia's cottage is extremely lavish and regal, fitting of her talent.

: How disappointing... I would have liked to try my hand at cleaning...
: Why is a princess not allowed to clean? I do not understand at all!

What should I do? Should I hang out with Sonia?

> Invite Sonia to hang out

: If that is the case, I shall do my own cleaning! Come, let us work together!

I spent time cleaning near the hotel with Sonia without anyone's permission. I probably don't deserve it, but it looks like Sonia and I grew a little closer...

> Definitely!

Iguana Daughter: An iguana native to Jabberwock Island. According to local legend, this creature was originally a young maiden who was changed into this form through magic.

: A tribute for me? It is rare for me to see such a common item, so I am quite happy!
: This present has a Good rating.

: I must say, this island is truly a wonderful place.
: The weather is calm and the sea is blue. Truly a perfect resort setting!
: That might be true, but...

: Oh, did I say something strange?
: No...I was just thinking that you're strangely calm right now. Sonia...are you really not worried about our current situation?
: Of course I am worried, and I am also angry. Jeez, this is not something to joke about!

Who's joking...?

: However, what happens next depends on us. As long as we do not kill anyone, this will all be fine.
: That's the right attitude, but...
: Besides...I have come here to learn about your country. I would understand if this were my homeland, but in this case, this land is foreign to me.

: I do not intend to kill anyone...and I do not intend to be killed easily either!

The way she said that...sounded a little dangerous. "If this were my homeland"... So would this be okay in your country?

: Anyway, let us forget about killings and cooperate with one another so we can return home quickly. If you have any good ideas, feel free to let me know. I shall also do my best to think of something, too.
: Yeah...you're right. When I speak to you, I somehow feel really positive and optimistic.
: Hmhmhm, such an honor.

: Raise your head. There is no need to worry!

What she's saying sounds odd but she certainly looks the part... Typical of a princess, I guess.

: Ah, that reminds me, what was the name of your country?

As I recall...the country's name was...?

> Novoselic Kingdom

: It was...the Novoselic Kingdom, right?

: Hmhmhm, it sounds as though you finally remember.
: Well...it's not a country I've ever heard of...
: Yes, that is understandable. It is often overlooked by cartographers.

: Our Novoselic Kingdom is an extremely small country, and governed by an absolute monarchy. Though the population is small, our economy is thriving, so we are not in dire straits at all. For generations, the royal family has protected the kingdom and its people from its neighboring countries. Thanks to that, the people still have complete trust toward the royal family.
: And also...wine and chocolate is one of our country's hidden specialties.
: I see... It really does sound like a kingdom. So since you're the princess of that kingdom...does that mean you live in a castle or something?

: Of course! The royal family has been living in the royal castle for over a thousand years! Though it may be old and small, the castle is truly a wonderful, historic building.
: Of course, it's easy to get lost in our subterranean labyrinth, and our barracks are fully equipped as well.
: So castles really do have those!

: Um... Anyway, is it all right if I ask you something as well?
: Hm? If I can answer it, it's fine...
: Who did you have your heart set on initially, and who do you intend to switch to later?
: ...Huh?

: This situation is truly similar to "The Story of Seven Men and Women"! I believe it is a standard tactic to start wavering and swapping partners!
: Um, hold on... What are you talking about?

: Do you really have no idea!? It is Japan's legendary drama!
: It starts off really upbeat, but then it gets really serious, I never expected that to happen... I was all like, "Seriously, what is going to happen?" I just could not take my eyes off the screen!
: Momoko's feelings at the time were...
: My goodness! So intense!

I continued to listen to Sonia talk extensively about Japanese dramas. At least now, I totally understand that she's a major J-drama fangirl...

After politely excusing myself from my long conversation with Sonia, I left the area.

There's still some time left... I feel restless. Maybe I should go for a walk...

: For our second Free Time, we're going to hang out with Mikan.

: I'm a little hungry... But if I eat now, I'll be too full to eat the party dishes.

What should I do? Should I invite Mikan to hang out?

> Invite Mikan to hang out

: Then...would you like to have tea together? It'll take our minds off being hungry...

I spent time today drinking tea with Mikan at the restaurant. It looks like Mikan and I grew a little closer...

> Definitely!

Infrared Thermometer: By detecting the infrared radiation released by your body, this thermometer can measure your body temperature without making direct contact with your skin.

: For...me?
: It's been a while since anyone gave me something for free... I'm so happy. ...Thank you, Hajime.
: This present has a Good rating.

Despite the fact that we decided to hang out... Mikan is acting suspicious and hasn't tried to look at me at all. Somehow...I feel like I did something bad to her even though I know I didn't do anything...

: U-Um...

: I-I'm sorry!
: Wh-What's this all of a sudden...!?
: I-I thought... You clearly looked like you were in a bad mood. D-Did I do something wrong again?

: Wh-What should I do? Um...would it make you happier if I took my clothes off?
: H-Hold on! Why are you reacting like that!?
: You're right... You don't want to see me naked, right? Then, how about my money...?
: S-Seriously, hold on!

: Nggggh...I'm sorry...

It's no use... I feel like if I start panicking, the situation is going to get even worse. All right, I should just calm down first...

: Hey Mikan. I just want to talk to you normally.

: Talk? U-Um...um...
: Today is such a beautiful day!
: Y-Yeah...
: I-I'm sorry... Should I...take off my clothes?
: Seriously...you don't have to do anything like that...

This is troubling... I guess I should start talking to Mikan about something she might get excited about...

> Favorite bandage type

: Um, Mikan... What type of bandage do you like the most?
: Bandage...?

: Let's see... There are a lot of different types these days. It's extremely convenient because there are waterproof types and sticky types... But I definitely like...non-elastic types the best. They're not too constricting...but they still firmly secure wounds!

I'm glad... Looks like she's getting into the conversation.

: Ah...s-sorry. I...went ahead and started talking on my own.
: Don't worry about it. I'm the one who asked anyway. Also...I feel like I got to know you a little more.
: Really...?
: Um...then let's call it a day for now...

: U-Um!
: If it's not too much trouble for you, I would like to...talk to you again. It's been a while since anyone talked to me like this...so...
: ...Of course. Any time.
: Th-Thank you very much.
: Heh heh...hehehehehe...

We decided to go our separate ways for now... But for some reason, I feel like Mikan was staring at my back a little too long...

She's not a bad person, but...I don't really know how to communicate with her that well.

For now, I decided to return to my room.

No Music.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... It is now 10:00 p.m. Please return to your rooms and relax. Let the sound of the ocean gently rock you to sleep. Now then, sweet dreams everyone. Good niiiiight...

"Good night," he says... Whatever. I have a party to attend.

: Alright... Time to go to the old building by the hotel.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Today on "What the gently caress happened to this poor girl", if you ask Mikan about her favorite type of guy, she starts to panic and blurts out, "It's Hajime! Obviously it's Hajime!"

FPzero posted:

: This situation is truly similar to "The Story of Seven Men and Women"! I believe it is a standard tactic to start wavering and swapping partners!

I think she's talking about this?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
:stare: Uh Mikan...You okay there buddy?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

...Mikan is dead. Something so sweet and innocent is not allowed to survive a Danganronpa game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

serefin99 posted:

...Mikan is dead. Something so sweet and innocent is not allowed to survive a Danganronpa game.

Aoi survived the first game.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cuntellectual posted:

Aoi survived the first game.

But what if that's what they want you to think: "Oh the sweet one survived the first game, they should be safe here!" only to have the knife twisted in? :tinfoil:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Mikan strikes me more as a Toko than an Aoi. Either way, she's definitely a Chekhov's Gun, and they aren't going to fire any of those off until after the second trial has already started, so she's safe for now.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

serefin99 posted:

When I read Mikan's dialogue, "sweet and innocent" is really not what leaps to mind. "Deeply insecure" is quite a bit higher up there.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

dancingbears posted:

I think she's talking about this?

It is, though I don't think the translator did their research quite right - the series was called "The Summer Story of Seven Men and Women" and was so successful they made a sequel a year later - "The Fall Story of Seven Men and Women" (this doesn't happen often in Japan - primetime drama series run a single season and tell a complete story, and then they're done). In the original script Sonia references that - she says she couldn't believe the developments in "Fall" after "Summer". I don't think the translator was quite aware of the reference hence translating the line as "upbeat" turning into "serious" (maybe they thought Sonia was talking about summers and falls metaphorically).

When I translated this scene years ago I tracked down and watched the first episode of the series to make sure I get the details right. '80s Japanese TV doesn't age well and their hairstyles were just as ridiculous as in the west.

The thing that strikes me wrong about Sonia's translation here in general is that they seem to have completely eradicated what was the most endearing part about her for me. In Japanese, she occasionally peppers her normally formal (though Foreigner-Speaking-Awkward) dialogue with 30 years old Japanese slang and references the other characters don't quite get, or with very inappropriate modern slang. Every time these lines have come up so far, the translation simply ignored it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

To be fair, In not sure what the best choice is when localizing a character like that. It doesn't seem like a smart idea to direct translate 30-year old Japanese slang terms, especially without the luxury of footnotes that you and I have as we write these updates. Even if the intended English-speaking audience is expected to know more about Japanese material than the average person, it feels safer to discard some of this instances.

Now, I don't feel like they removed the essence of her character entirely by doing away with this aspect of her character because in its place, they've created a very similar character trait. If you'll notice, Sonia never uses English contractions in her speech. Her English also comes across as stiff when you read it. There's also another aspect not seen here in her voice clips. Some of her clips have her using somewhat outdated English slang, such as "most tight!" when she makes that Rosie the Riveter pose.

It's not exactly the same, but I think it's an adequate solution to what might have been a real challenge of localization.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 3, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I was quite fond of the Official Sonia localisation, even if it did lack a little attention to detail. One's perspective on stuff like this is always coloured by having seen how else it could have been, of course.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FPzero posted:

It's not exactly the same, but I think it's an adequate solution to what might have been a real challenge of localization.

Oh, I wasn't expecting anyone to translate old Japanese slang - I was expecting them to do exactly what you suggest and replace the old Japanese slang with old/inappropriate English slang whenever it appears. And I dunno about the contractions - Sonia's misuse of Japanese is less about verbal ticks or straight out grammar mistakes and more about lack of nuance and strange phrasing. The no-contraction thing is a cheap solution that didn't make sense when they used it with Data, and most certainly doesn't make sense when you're trying to write a very skilled but still non-native speaker -- and Sonia's original dialogue is a surprisingly nice take on it. She's doing the kind of things I sometimes catch myself doing when speaking Japanese (and English, for that matter).

For those interested in old Japanese slang:
Sonia's "Jeez, this is not something to joke about!" in this update was originally one of Sonia's favorite Japanese expressions, which she uses several times throughout the game: "joudan wa yoshiko-chan!". It means, "stop joking" but is also a terrible pun/slang from a long time ago and not very transparent if you don't know what it is. Looking it up on the web, the first result is a slang dictionary that says you should expect people to punch you if you use it today, and the second is a post from someone who says he is 40 and the phrase was already old when he was a kid. Hinata's original reply to this wasn't that he wasn't joking, but rather simple bewilderment at what Sonia just said - I don't think he recognizes it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Mikan is just a slightly more pleasant version of Toko from the first game, but just as tiresome and obnoxious to deal with. I don't care why she's broken, I just want her to stop talking.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Qrr posted:

When I read Mikan's dialogue, "sweet and innocent" is really not what leaps to mind. "Deeply insecure" is quite a bit higher up there.

Broken and abused was more of the vibe I got. She's got a weird fixation with asking you if she needs to take her clothes off while at the same time having anxious/scared sprites everywhere. I could be reading to much into it, but at the same time that kind of victim wouldn't exactly break the tone of the game so they might go that way.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

orenronen posted:

Oh, I wasn't expecting anyone to translate old Japanese slang - I was expecting them to do exactly what you suggest and replace the old Japanese slang with old/inappropriate English slang whenever it appears. And I dunno about the contractions - Sonia's misuse of Japanese is less about verbal ticks or straight out grammar mistakes and more about lack of nuance and strange phrasing. The no-contraction thing is a cheap solution that didn't make sense when they used it with Data, and most certainly doesn't make sense when you're trying to write a very skilled but still non-native speaker -- and Sonia's original dialogue is a surprisingly nice take on it. She's doing the kind of things I sometimes catch myself doing when speaking Japanese (and English, for that matter).

For those interested in old Japanese slang:
Sonia's "Jeez, this is not something to joke about!" in this update was originally one of Sonia's favorite Japanese expressions, which she uses several times throughout the game: "joudan wa yoshiko-chan!". It means, "stop joking" but is also a terrible pun/slang from a long time ago and not very transparent if you don't know what it is. Looking it up on the web, the first result is a slang dictionary that says you should expect people to punch you if you use it today, and the second is a post from someone who says he is 40 and the phrase was already old when he was a kid. Hinata's original reply to this wasn't that he wasn't joking, but rather simple bewilderment at what Sonia just said - I don't think he recognizes it.

That's pretty interesting to read the origin of her reference there but this also illustrates that without a translator's footnote there was no way the more subtle ones were making it into the game fully intact. The contraction thing isn't perfect, certainly, but it does to me feel like one acceptable enough method of showing her foreign nature. A better method is when she screws up English phrases, like when she says "I am frightened so stiff..." instead of something like "I've gone stiff with fright."

Honestly, I'm not surprised Sonia's mannerisms didn't localize very well. Like, Gundham is definitely a very specific Japanese character archetype, but he translates well enough as an overly-eccentric guy obsessed with occult, demonolgy and mysticism. Sonia, on the other hand, has a lot that can get lost in translation. Funny enough, she's almost like this game's Hifumi Yamada in terms of references but what she says seems a lot harder to work with. From what I remember of your LP, she's steeped in Japanese cultural context and references. What the localization team did is probably the most agreeable solution, when the alternatives would be to either leave all of the references intact and just let people be confused by them or to change up her character to be a fan of older Western TV shows instead and making references to stuff like the Andy Griffith Show or I Love Lucy or using definitely outdated terms like groovy (the latter idea especially would ruin her character for me though all things considered.)

It's always weird when characters are definitely supposed to be speaking Japanese and making Japanese references in-universe but are speaking English because of localizations. I don't envy localization teams one bit.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Qrr posted:

And excessively apologetic. Can't forget that.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Oh god, I hope we're not the Byakuya to Mikan's Toko. That sounds like it could tired fast.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Well, Mikan just got a lot more disturbing. Like, I'm getting a "Raised by a narcissistic mother and pimped out/abused by her father" sort of vibe after that update.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FPzero posted:

That's pretty interesting to read the origin of her reference there but this also illustrates that without a translator's footnote there was no way the more subtle ones were making it into the game fully intact. The contraction thing isn't perfect, certainly, but it does to me feel like one acceptable enough method of showing her foreign nature. A better method is when she screws up English phrases, like when she says "I am frightened so stiff..." instead of something like "I've gone stiff with fright."

Honestly, I'm not surprised Sonia's mannerisms didn't localize very well. Like, Gundham is definitely a very specific Japanese character archetype, but he translates well enough as an overly-eccentric guy obsessed with occult, demonolgy and mysticism. Sonia, on the other hand, has a lot that can get lost in translation. Funny enough, she's almost like this game's Hifumi Yamada in terms of references but what she says seems a lot harder to work with. From what I remember of your LP, she's steeped in Japanese cultural context and references. What the localization team did is probably the most agreeable solution, when the alternatives would be to either leave all of the references intact and just let people be confused by them or to change up her character to be a fan of older Western TV shows instead and making references to stuff like the Andy Griffith Show or I Love Lucy or using definitely outdated terms like groovy (the latter idea especially would ruin her character for me though all things considered.)

That's my point - a good literary translation (not just for games) will find a way to map speech patterns into English without resorting to cheap tricks (that is, unless the original uses cheap tricks, which does happen a lot in game prose). Sonia should be translated by listening to the way people who have English as a second language but are sufficiently fluent in it speak in real life, and "I am frightened so stiff..." is one great way to do it. No need to cheapen it with no contractions and such - in this particular character's case the original doesn't fall into the cliche traps Japanese pop-culture prose falls into when trying to write foreigners speaking the language, so why put it in the translation?

As for the second point, since Sonia's pop culture references are usually to stuff from the '70s and '80s, I think it's a great idea to keep them intact. These are not references the typical Japanese player in their late teens or early twenties will even get without looking them up, and the point is that Sonia is such a fangirl of obscure pop culture she doesn't even realize it *is* obscure. The thing is, when it comes to language you can't keep things intact in a translation, and you *should* put words like "groovy" in her lines whenever appropriate (she doesn't actually use them all that often - they only come out occasionally). People know that translations are translations and that the characters "really" speak a different language, so a translation should adjust to keep the feeling of the dialogue as close as possible to the original text by using every trick and convention of the target language available to them.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
sonia's cool, imo

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I didn't read Sonia's lack of contractions as a foreigner thing, I read it as a royalty thing. Having few contractions makes her speech feel very formal. One way that I could think to better emphasize "foreign-ness" would be dropping articles, as a lot of languages don't use them as often as English does.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
What was the really clever idea someone had for the English translation of the name before any official releases existed? It was a play on "Bullet" or "Calibre" with "evidence" or something and it was perfect.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bullet Proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Bifauxnen posted:

Bullet Proof?

Yeah, that's it! I understand the appeal of the name as is, but I think that's a good translation of the name that would've been an easier sell to mainstream Anglophones.

• Locked thread