Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

I only ever read to the end of the first trial in the original (aborted) LP of this, I am extremely happy to see someone else having a go at it after all this time.

Obviously Mahiru didn't crawl anywhere if she died instantly, though I'm not sure how that will tie in to things yet.

Sonia and Peko both seem like the obvious suspects. Fuyuhiko himself is too obvious. I'm leaning more towards Peko at this point, since it seems like the mask is supposed to point at Sonia, but Peko overheard that serial killer conversation. And while the wetsuit is hard to explain, wouldn't putting it on count as changing? Somehow the rule about changing is going to come in, it's just such a weird and pointless thing otherwise. It still leaves open the question of motive, though.

Anyway, Hiyoko likely knows a lot that would be useful and solve this instantly, but will probably be too much of a stubborn brat to volunteer any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Wow, okay, 'gravel in a swimsuit' is a pretty big leap to expect the player to make.

As for Mihiru's murder, I've pretty much just been speculating in circles. Either I'm missing something or there's going to be new evidence coming out in the trial itself. In general it feels like they went into this one less prepared than they were for the first case.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also Hiyoko your attitude makes me think you're the one who did it now

I'm going to be really upset if she survives this game. I'd be okay with someone killing her and getting away with it tbh.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Incidentally, I saw someone cosplaying as Nagito at Pax East yesterday, but he escaped before I could get close enough to ask him to rant about hope for me.

That would have been cool. Too bad he slipped off and left the light of your hopes to be doused by the ULTIMATE DESPAIR.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 12, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

I don't think Hiyoko is the actual killer, but she was definitely there and needs to stop withholding information. Or did she miss the part where she dies too if the investigation leaves them all guessing?

You'd think the murder of the only person willing to tolerate and voluntarily hang out with her would have had more of a reaction, too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Yeah, something is going on here with the way Peko is so focused on Hiyoko.

Weird that she seems to be deflecting suspicion away from Fuyuhiko too. I've wondered whether the window requiring two people to get through it would be a factor, but there's no benefit to being an accomplice at these trials.

If Peko is the killer there has to be something connecting her to the others, though. I'm just not seeing her killing someone based on a video game depicting events she has no memory of.

...unless they really are going to go the 'high school aged girl is a famous serial killer who just happens to be on the same island with them' route, which, would be pretty drat stupid.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Feels like it's definitely Peko at this point, given her behavior and the actual evidence. Seems a little too obvious though, and it still doesn't explain about the third person to find the body. An accomplice of any kind just doesn't make sense, and except for Fuyuhiko I'm still not seeing anyone with an actual motive or attitude of not giving a gently caress strong enough to make them murder both Mahiru and attempt to cause the deaths of everyone else...

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Peko, what in the gently caress. And that sword thing really was some bullshit, wow. I like how in the Finish the Thought image it looks like the window would still be impossible to reach even if standing on tippy toe on the very top of the sword.

LonelyMudkip posted:

One loose end that hasn't been resolved is the three people who discovered the body.

That's what I'm assuming Sonia's interruption involved. The third/person accomplice is pretty obviously Fuyuhiko at this point. Unless the game has more batshit revelations for us.

quote:

I'm thinking either Peko is the killer and is protecting an accomplice

'Protecting' someone she was/is willing to let die with the rest? And Fuyuhiko is okay with himself and everyone else being killed in order to take out an accomplice after the fact who had nothing to do with his sister's actual murder. This doesn't make much s--you know what, what am I saying, nothing about this case makes sense. Justice!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Well I guess it's over now, who could have guessed everyone would be killed by a stuffed bear after only two trials, but legally it holds up. What a twist!

(Still digesting this newest descent into the weird, but drat do I love the crazy Peko face...)

We better get some explanation from Fuyohiko himself soon though. Something tells me it might be more coherent.

Sindai posted:

That seems like a pretty dumb plan when they could have tried having Peko frame herself for a murder while he actually committed it. Way to waste your one suicidally loyal minion on some dubious wordplay!

I was wondering that myself. Everyone would have died regardless if they'd managed to pin it on Hiyoko. Hell, just tell her to stab Nagito and then confess. No confusion over motives there, and he wants to help.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 3, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Jeez, I went from despising Fuyuhiko to feeling bad for him that quickly and then the game just goes lol and loving kills him.

But yeah, Nagito's far and away the sharpest one here when he's not going over the brightness of hope.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty sure you could have gotten a better pun name from malpractice rather than "Killgood".

It's also a pun on Dr. Feelgood I'd assume.

quote:

Puhuhu... In a way, your misguided thoughts of what hope should be...remind me of him.

Okay this game is just loving with us now.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

So that was a pretty short-lived attempt to keep Nagito locked up.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Well. That's, uh, pretty Japan of you, Japan. Alrighty then. Moving on...

Catching up on two updates at once here, so, was Sonia's disco line something different in the original version? Kind of had to laugh a little at 'I think this is a motel' regarding the building with MOTEL in giant letters all over it.

With the attention given to the 'music venue' and the mirror and the lights it does seem like that's probably going to be where the next murder happens, though if Fuyuhiko winds up shanked in his hospital bed I think we already know who the obvious suspect is.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Sonia is my favorite character at this point aside from Chiaki, so I really didn't like that 'since she's still alive' line on the last page and hope the hurry to max her friendship out wasn't in advance of anything.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Catching up to the last three updates all at once leaves a lot to process.

Nice misdirection on the game's part...I was wondering if the twist would be that someone goaded simple minded Akane into rebelling in an attempt to get her killed, but everyone survived anyway so...? I mean someone has to get murdered soon, I'd assume. They've done a much better job letting you get attached to the characters this time around though, I can't think of any I'd prefer it to be.

Also I really hope Hajime plans to barricade his door. I can't imagine sleeping with a busted lock being advisable even when not on a murder island. (How'd she get away with that by the way? Shouldn't vandalism break one of the rules?)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

This is like some wacky sitcom illness. Just, the kind of sitcom where someone gets brutally murdered, because these kids are just not learning animals when it comes to the motives.

Though I gotta say I really like this new Nagito.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Graylien posted:

I do wonder how he'd deal with death from illness though, can't execute a bacteria.

If you were the one who sneezed on the victim, you're guilty.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

I'm just not seeing what about this situation is going to drive anyone to kill anyone else. It's a situation that may be easy to take advantage of, but other than Nagito, and Hiyoko and Fuyuhiko I guess there's no real friction left in the group, it's hard to picture any of them opting for murder after everything they've already been through together.

Then again I suppose there's still whoever's supposed to be the traitor, and we can't really rule out more ridiculous secrets and dark pasts popping up out of nowhere at this point, even though that's probably my least favorite kind of plot twist.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Glazius posted:

Hm. I wonder if Chiaki's the plant. She has a way of getting people to do things without making it seem like she's the one in control.

Chiaki seems way too positive to be peddling Despair. I've noticed that after every murder she's the one that puts the 'well maybe it's best we think of it this way' spin on things, putting what happened in the best possible light so that it's not just senseless killings. 'Byakuya was trying to protect Nagito.' etc.

Also, if Mikan is contagious then we're sick now too after the way she was snuggling up to us and it looks like breathing directly onto our face. Thanks Mikan.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Ibuki.

This would've been a really easy one for the killer, and there was plenty of set up with the way her disease worked. I kind of failed to put two and two together there but it feels like it should have been anyone's guess.

I won't even try to speculate on who the killer is at this point until we investigate a little.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Figured there was going to be more to this as soon as they found out the door was locked. Pretty much everyone had a motive to off Hiyoko so this will be a difficult one.

It's almost too bad. She was showing some signs of character development--more than Ibuki's one dimension anyway--and aside from that there was a point I was actually wondering whether they'd keep her around forever just to troll the audience. Sometimes I kind of enjoy it when awful characters aren't created solely to be killed to satisfy our kneejerk revenge instincts.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So my first thought is that it could be Nekomaru since he's been gone for a while and would have had time to make preparations. I'm not sure how he could have rigged the device to show the suicide(?) though.

Edit: Also, Mikan's been acting strange, even more so than usual recently. She did leave Hajime right before he received the transmission, and Nagito's face when we saw him in the morning made it seem like he was desperate and scared when he saw the two of us before telling us in liar speak not to leave. Speaking of Nagito, there was that weird bit with the "Two Ibuki's", although I don't know what the opposite of that would mean. That Ibuki never existed at all?

What I'm wondering about is if something suspicious was going on that time you found Ibuki out in the hall and sent her to bed.

I"m wondering why Hiyoko's killer would even make it so public though when she'd conveniently announced she was going to be isolating herself in her cabin so that no one would consider it unusual to not see her for days. I guess she might have been randomly wandering about in time to witness or be involved with Ibuki's death? but that's a stretch.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Buried alive posted:

It's entirely possible that the temperature difference is actually a mistake. Like the killer hid something in a vent without really thinking it through and that just messed with the ventilation, or something.

Well my mind jumps to something really obvious there, but I'd have to go back and see whether vents are even an examinable object and how big they are if so.

With access to Ibuki, plenty of reason to hate Hiyoko, and repressed enough I could easily believe in her snapping completely, Mikan does seem like the obvious suspect here. But this is mystery fiction so all that guarantees is that she's the most likely to be innocent instead.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 15, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Glazius posted:

but good lord what about that movie was even worth imitating?

My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing the most useful thing to come out of this will be the time stamp on the tickets. The disease itself is still a much greater motivation than the movie.

Our boy Hajime is just not coming off too bright in this investigation so far, with bodies being moved and time of death shenanigans just flat out not occurring to him despite all the hints. Looks like Chiaki and Nagito will have to keep picking up the slack.

If we're going by the assumption Ibuki's body in the recording was fake, however...wouldn't that limit the killer to characters with similar body types?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

It just occurred to me - is Hajime keeping the whole thing about seeing the hanging on the video to himself? I don't remember him mentioning it right off, and I'm not sure why they're all immediately jumping to the conclusion of two murders when Ibuki's at first glance would seem to be a suicide.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Doc Hawkins posted:

No, which is going to look bad later when they finally get around to asking why he was in the Titty Twister in the first place. I think it will sound suspicious.

So this is probably all a lead up to Hajime being the accused and having to defend himself. Neat idea, too bad they had to suddenly turn him into a complete dumbass to make it work.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Whoever the killer turns out to be, I'm already assuming the amount of time they had to do all this is going to be as hard to swallow from a realism standpoint as how elaborate it all was in the first place, so I'm not putting too much stock in working it out by looking at who had time for what.

What I'm more curious about right now it's what's going on with Nekomaru, or if that's just a red herring.

I would assume the bear is too much of a dick to turn over a list of who bought the bags, because that would be the simplest and most straightforward way to solve this in a real situation.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

So how long until one of these geniuses realizes Hiyoko couldn't possibly have walked to the venue, walked past Ibuki's hanging corpse, painstakingly tied her kimono, then be murdered and taped to a pillar in the time it took Hajime to get the others and come back?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

I'm still hoping it was Mikan, just so her motive can be 'it was Hiyoko!' and everyone else can just be like 'oh yeah, makes sense'.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Chiaki is presumably aware that the video was made in the hospital. That's going to point the finger at someone who was there, but yep...Mikan now has an alibi.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Mikan is guilty af. With a couple of her lines here I was half expecting a breakdown.

'The imitation wasn't good enough! I'm worthless and bad at murder I'm sorryyyyyy'

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Everyone's so angry that Hajime is the main character instead of them.

Eventually they're going to notice that he gathers all the evidence, solves all the cases, is never targeted in a murder and anyone who argues with him is ultimately proven wrong. Though I'd probably be leaning towards 'secret Monobear controller' at that point rather than 'we all live in a videogame and he is the player character'.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

I'm mostly just waiting to hear Mikan's motive now. Did it really just take having a good opportunity to not only murder Ibuki, but be okay with condemning everyone else if they didn't figure it out?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Well gently caress.

But it's still got to be someone who was inside the hospital, right?

I like everyone else there more than Mikan.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

idonotlikepeas posted:

I suspect it relates to this:

Specifically, Mikan confirmed there was no doubt the death was by hanging... but it wasn't. That's pretty suspicious. The main mechanism of death from hanging is that the neck is broken by the fall rather than strangulation. Even if that weren't the case, though, which is actually pretty likely since this is a short drop, you'd expect the marks to be distributed differently. They're going to be more even with the strangulation, for one thing, since gravity isn't the only force in operation. I'm told there are some telltale marks around the knot of the noose, either, which probably wouldn't have formed if the body were put up postmortem. Mikan should know all of this, and she knows that the cause of death is super important in these investigations.

Ooh, good points. I'd forgotten about that whole exchange.

Okay, she's back to being guilty.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

She's doing the evil voice! Only murderers do that.

Weed Wolf posted:

I'm presuming that the motive has to do with the Despair disease. There was no way that she didn't catch it after being with the infected people for so long. Since it seems to create a reversed personality, her normally meek and reserved demeanor was replaced with a Genocide Jill one maybe? I like that comparison.

Think having the murders being committed by someone not in control of their actions has been brought up several times as the worst way they could handle this. Not saying it's not possible but it'd be pretty bad writing.

I'd buy Mikan having been reeaaallll close to snapping for a long time even before coming to the island, thinking back there's almost never been an interaction with her that wasn't super uncomfortable, even allowing for cultural differences as to what 'funny' is.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Well that sure was a thing. I was with Fuyuhiko there, just staring at the screen going 'Mikan, what the hell are you talking about.' And that was before the execution...

The execution, it seemed very uh, symbolic, but my best guess is that she was given and overdose of something on the hospital bed and the rest was her just tripping out.

Which, interestingly was a pretty easy way to go compared to what the others got, and she murdered twice as many people. Didn't even need to be manipulated into it either, she was ready to kill as soon as she got her memories back. Though her whole little speech on memories really got me thinking, it's not just a matter of forgotten events like with Fuyuhiko's sister. After two years at school and whatever major poo poo went down they'd literally be different people, maybe drastically. That poster with the idea that they were all there to be rehabilitated might have the right idea. (Except of course that was probably meant to involve only a beautiful tropical island and having Monomi teach them about friendship...)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

The one doing the most to keep people optimistic and on track up to this point has been Chiaki.

Which really really worries me because it means her odds of her getting killed/being a killer for whatever batshit reasons the game comes up with, or being revealed to be a spy are that much higher.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

dancingbears posted:

man who the gently caress cares about monomi

Her diaper and weird bellybutton upsets me.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

After everything we've seen so far, I'm not sure why this is the point where my mind goes, 'this game is getting weird', but there we have it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007

Hair Elf

Of course the assumption would be that the traitor knows what's up and is the only one that still has their memories. After all this buildup I have a theory about Hajime's 'talent' being the same as Nagito's actually, but that only make sense if Nagito himself is the traitor, and that would just be bad writing for a number of reasons.

And it's nice that the kids at least figured out that every time a new area opens up someone gets murdered, even if they're still winding up walking right into that in the end.

• Locked thread