Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I require more update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
:f5h::stare:

Please more soon.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If Hajime is specially referred to as the protagonist, does that mean he's the only real person plugged in here? Is everyone else part of the simulation?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
What is going on.

(don't answer that)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I mean...we have seen Nagito's hand before, right? He didn't have a dead lady hand grafted onto the wrist.

I may have a tiny, tiny inkling of a theory of what's going on here based on something else that didn't really get resolved in a satisfying way before, but it's a long shot so I'll wait for another update and more info.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
A violin

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Huh. One of those things that smacks you in the face when you go back to it, but I'd forgotten all about it by the time the plot got rolling.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm going to throw something if it turns out Junko was triplets.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is the worst, most horrible, most very bad no good incident less ridiculously phrased in Japanese?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

timp posted:

Okay, I'm gonna take a shot in the dark at some of this.

I'm guessing that the students in this game are the Remnants of Despair. They were currently really lovely and the Future Foundation wanted them dead, but Naegi, being all Ultimate Hope-like, decides to run them through this virtual simulation and prove to people that they could improve as people, thus instilling worldwide hope? But then Monokuma comes in and fucks everything up, and DR2 starts. Or was the killing game part of Naegi's plan?

Still a lot of things I don't understand, like how Nagito w/ Junko's hand plays into things, or who was on the boat with him, or all the portraits of the founder of Hope's Peak...

Yeah this is my take on things now, the email to Naegi cleared up a lot, and the thing about the virtual reality didn't tell us anything the thread hadn't already guessed. Hajime realistically should've figured it out on his own by this point so I'm not sure with that dramatic realization was all about.

We saw Nagito being transported probably on the same boat as the others to the island and the care of Naegi's group after wherever they'd been collected from, although the mystery is who he was talking to there. I'm guessing the Ultimate Imposter based on the immediate claim of also having luck as a talent.

Whatever's going on with Hiyoko I still have no idea about.

Was that the Junko magazine on the table next to the tablet?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
What I want to know is if you die in the Matrix do you die in real life. There's that whole bit about personality destruction that might imply it, and also probably be the result of wanting to 'stay on the island' when Monokuma makes the offer.

If all the victims and the executed are still alive...well that's going to be awfully awkward for some of them, huh.

Although so far Mikan seems to be the only one confirmed as being on the side of the Despair club. Not counting...whatever the hell Nagito's deal was.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

AlphaKretin posted:

It seems pretty blatant to me from the talk of "redoing memories" that they're a decent chunk older outside the Matrix but have been rolled back to their school days through this simulation in a measure to keep them sane (or if they are the Remnants of Despair, to erase traces of Junko).

There was a mention of them being 'about the same age as the others' or something similar which probably means something or other as well.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Insertnamehere31 posted:

e: Ok I went back and read that interlude chapter. The mystery character definitely has the virus on some sort of external drive, and they either received it or took it from junko. They mention having her legacy in their pocket or something like that. If I had to guess I would say that person is that super talent kid that hope's peak was built around who killed a bunch of people. The way they keep saying they were blessed with talent and that the world was boring seems to indicate a superiority and indifference to the world.

Yeah, I did the same right after watching the update. Now the big question is just who that is. Seems a bit late to introduce a completely new character but then characters from the original DR or outside materials seem fair game, although I know pretty much nothing about the novel and whatever else there is so it's hard to make any guesses there. All that stuff about the kid killing the others and having it hushed up was (I think?) a part of that too though so I don't know if the focus it's been getting here is just a callback and background stuff, or actual foreshadowing of it mattering to these characters too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I absolutely understand you needing a break, but happily I bought DR3 awhile ago because of this LP, so once it concludes I will be experiencing the real deal.

Meanwhile I'll try to restrain my frantic :f5:ing for a week but everything is so intense now. Now that we have a good idea of what's going on with these guys it just leaves me wanting to know more about what's happened to Naegi and the others, because it doesn't sound good on their end either.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Seb posted:

Thank you for your dedication, FPzero.

Yeah, FPZero is amazing! Nothing like that lazy slacker Fedule.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Gorilla Salad posted:

One thing which has always pissed me off in games, movies, etc is when they do something like this:

"I have something incredibly important to tell you. You lives depend on what I have to tell you! We are running out of time for me to tell you this thing which your lives depend on! But first, let's talk about something else for a while. Oh no, we've run out of time somehow!"

:ughh:

I don't know if it's a translation thing or just a cultural thing with different audience expectations or what but a bunch of lines of filler where the characters are dithering uselessly and dancing around a subject until you're yelling at the screen for them to just get on with it definitely seems to be a uniquely annoying feature of writing in Japanese games.

Character 1: 'It's because of that incident!'
Character 2: 'That incident!?' *aside to self* Huh? Are they referring to the incident when that certain person did that thing?'
*out loud* Are you referring to the incident when that certain person did that thing?'
'Character 1: 'Yes that is indeed the incident I'm referring to!'

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
How could Sonia have ever turned evil? That's the major flaw in this whole theory of the kids having been members of the Despair club. Like, everyone else, I could maybe see it.

Well, Gundham and Nidai would also be a hard sell.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm still really feeling like there's got to be another twist with the Ultimate Imposter. Just never sat right with me, 'oh btw there's somebody here we can't show a picture of and know nothing about who can convincingly impersonate anybody, not relevant at all though nbd it's all been resolved don't worry about it!'

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Talow posted:

God loving damnit. No, Future Foundation didn't do the killing school trip, Monokuma started that clusterfuck. In fact, if the Future Foundation had any actual say in the matter, I'm 100% sure you wouldn't be in this virtual world.

Weither they'd left you dead or alive...well, that depends on which group we're dealing with.

'The Future Foundation is the enemy' is the single dumbest, most obviously false idea that the game just won't stop pushing.

But hey Monokuma said so so I guess it must be true!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It's Naegi! :neckbeard:

"Put it together...and think...?" Hajime slowly repeated, as if confused by the very concept.

Normally I'd say that maybe 'hey you guys are actually evil' isn't as sledgehammeringly obvious if you're playing through all at once without months to think about it and theorizing from other posters...except those emails that as good as spell it out JUST happened.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Tenebrais posted:

'cause it's a game!

That line is still in my head and it's going to be there for awhile.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I mean I know we have to have the dramatic reveals and stuff and I'm happy all the final bits of what's actually going on are falling into place but ultimately it's not like them not deciding to graduate is a realistic possibility, so it's kind of a weird non-choice to hang all the tension on. 'Just hang out here in a virtual world in the absolute power of this wacky adorable bear who's been forcing you all to kill each other for fun' can't be all that attractive an alternative if they think about if for like, five seconds. If nothing else the rest of the Future Foundation deciding to smother the evil despair club with pillows while they're plugged in and helpless might be a possibility they should worry about.

Narsham posted:

Clearly each of them took a part of Junko's body with them, to remember her by and to make each of them part of Ultimate Despair.

Who wants to start the betting pool for who has which part?

It's been so long I can't even remember exactly how she died in the first one, as in what state the body should have been in by the time Nagito swooped in for a hand job.

(sorry)

Zoe fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 26, 2018

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Tenebrais posted:

I think they're not meant to choose to graduate, nor are they meant to choose to stay. There's a third, hidden option that they first need to figure out exists at all. At least, that's what Naegi implied earlier.

Right, I forgot about that. Still, assuming that means Monokuma is bullshitting them about being able to leave if they pick graduate, the shutdown is still the 'get out of the virtual world' option, and for whatever reason he was implying before all this that if they find out how much they/the world sucks they'll give in to ~despair~ and want to keep hanging out with him.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So if Hajime was the one in the flashback are we going on the assumption he's the one that planted the virus?

I guess that would explain why he's the only Reserve student who didn't off himself, if he had a job to do. But that's going to be a bit awkward for him once it has time to sink it.

e: I guess that technically means he walked off with Monokuma in his pocket if we're going for the idea they all took a souvenir. Although I'd easily believe Nagito was just loving nuts even by the Despair Club's standards.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 26, 2018

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

FPzero posted:

: And not just that, some even tried to have children with Junko's dead body...

:stonk:

Uh. All right then.

Moving on!

Yeah, something weird is going on now. 'You should be thankful for how open-minded the Future Foundation is!' doesn't line up with the emails we read and Naegi doing this much yelling is a bit out of character anyway, even for future apocalypse Naegi.

So guessing this is in fact...Not Naegi? Between this and Nagito, how many fake out Naegis are we going to get?

Wonder if this is where the Imposter gets worked back into the plot since I'm still kinda sorta clinging to that theory.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Hah! Called the eye!

Nagito replaced his whole arm though, not just the arm? I guess that big block of stone did mash her very well.

I mean if the body was in any condition to do uh, various other things to it does seem like there was a retcon there from the DR1 ending.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Halospaz117 posted:

From what I remember, the original translation wasn't straight up necrophilia, as much as something about transplanting Junko's womb and/or ovaries in place of their own. Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

:wtc: That changes the situation dramatically and yeah, suddenly necrophilia doesn't seem so bad.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Of course it had to be Junko. It's Junkos all the way down.

That was a nice reveal with some nice creepy music.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It's already been said the voice acting is amazing, but I'm actually wondering how the hell she managed to hold a consistent personality together long enough to be Monokuma. Although I suppose he could be a sort of program himself and not directly Junko doing a voice again.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I had a big stupid grin on my face at the arrival of Real Naegi and the old team assembling again.

But... possibly we're not meant to think about this so hard, but if they were aware of Junkos plan prior to this, what was to stop them from just unhooking all the coma patients from the game so that she couldn't upload herself? Or if that were impossible without disrupting the entire program...restrain them somehow before it happens, or idk, smother them with a pillow.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Hajime what the hell. Well there's a twist I didn't see coming at least.

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, the whole reason this sim exists in the first place is their refusal to kill the remnants of despair.

I mean but they're completely brain dead and about to become zombie Junkos and then go on to make more zombie Junkos, it seems like there'd be some kind of last ditch plan in place. Or at least like, tie them up before they wake up...? I'm just not sure about this whole entering the simulation thing and relying entirely on the power of HOPE to make the despair kids do the right thing, even before considering the non zero chance the DR1 crew could get killed somehow and become zombie Junkos too.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay so hang on a second. The shutdown sequence is going to mean Naegi and the others don't remember any of this either, right?

So they won't even know that the Remnants deliberately set this whole thing up intending to unleash the Junko AI out into the world, and meanwhile all the Remnants will know is that something went wrong with their plan. Although I guess if they listen to Naegi they'll realize they must have agreed to turn on Junko for some reason and initiate the shutdown sequence. He'll at least remember that that was the reason he entered the simulation and none of them could have left otherwise.

Actually, having memories wiped won't completely remove every trace of these kids thanks to Junko herself; up until they entered the school(?) she was broadcasting the whole thing, so presumably they could all watch their high school selves; normal, likeable people getting manipulated by Junko.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
AHAHAHAHA, Hajime, your hair!

....uh, the rest is very emotional and tense, wow.

But the hair! :laugh:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just think, if only the original gang had the balls to kill the brain dead Ultimate Zeros before stepping into the computer world all this would be a moot point.

Everyone graduates and has their new personalities uploaded and Junko gets to wake up in a bunch of corpses.

Or, as the saying goes - evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

There's a little part of me having trouble getting swept up in the drama and big dilemma here because yeah, I keep thinking of other, more obvious ways this could've been handled that the game isn't even acknowledging to explain away.

This is going full worst case scenario for everyone involved and ALL of them are being sacrificed to prevent Junko from getting out, and I keep thinking the DR1 three at least should be smarter than this.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Happy ending achieved!

Good LP everyone

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

dancingbears posted:

To be honest, I spent some time getting mad at how conveniently this ending sidesteps the whole "horrible choice" thing that was so engaging, and how Chiaki and Usami just suddenly reappear when it's established they're super duper dead. That was until I noticed this, back in the Prologue chapter:

That is to say, I'm like 95% certain this ending is Izuru double crossing Junko. Before he went under, he hacked the program and left a backdoor for himself, should Hajime notice it, that lets him totally screw over Junko and ruin her entire plan in front of her face, presumably to spite her for getting him involved in the Tragedy of Hope's Peak.

Well, that's really the only way I can make sense of the ending, so... :shrug:

A few pages late but I really like this interpretation. As inspirational a finale as the whole thing had, once the initial HELL YEAH feelings wore off it was hard to ignore that all the very real concerns the characters had and this no win scenario the game had presented were all instantly made insignificant by Hajime starting to glow and shouting about the future a lot.

Now it even makes sense why he'd make a good faith attempt to be Hajime again even with all his memories of the game erased. He'd set out to confront Junko face to face and overcome her hold on him, and the fact that the shutdown sequence happened at all is enough to make him know he succeeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm sad that all the good LPs are over now. I keep coming to this subforum by reflex but there's no DR and no VLR and no Automata and I don't know what to click. :(

• Locked thread