Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

Judging someone for their crimes... No one has the right to do that...

Really? Because that's kinda one of the cornerstones of civilization man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pointing out, just as in the last LP, that mark is definitely in the wrong place to be from a hanging.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Stephen9001 posted:

Of course, it's possible that's not a clue, and the makers of the game simply got where the mark from a hanging would be wrong. Good eye either way though.

They're generally pretty good about that sort of thing though.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

mycelia posted:

Moss balls are a thing. What's the joke? I don't have a goddamn clue. This game occasionally makes some really deep cuts.

He called her a bottom feeder.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

eating only apples posted:

The killer strangled Ibuki with the rope, which could be passed off as a hanging death.

Except that the rope mark is across the center of her neck, rather than at the base of the jaw, where the rope would catch if she was hung instead of strangled.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FluffySquirrel posted:

The bit that's always bugged me about the timeline, which is already dodgy enough as is, is that it seems to rely on Hajime finding the body and instantly leaving

If I'd seen a livestream of someone about to hang themselves, then got there and found them.. the first thing I'd be doing is getting the body down and performing CPR, given we already went over the fact that her neck wasn't broken, if she had only just done it, could totally have been saved potentially

So yeah, the plan would kinda fall apart a bit if Hajime had just spent 10 minutes doing a pretty common response

To be fair, that would have resulted in people walking in on him apparently beating the poo poo out of a corpse. Not too hard to spin that into accusing him.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like Mikan's shift in personality. It's really eerie.

Well not ALWAYS. There are a number of characters who change personality but aren't necessarily the killer.

Plus, you know, Genocide Jack. Who was not only innocent, of that specific murder anyway, but actually went out of her way never to kill anyone during the game.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

...Hope's Peak worked like poo poo, didn't it? Unless it was a secret murderous rage factory.

Standard mad science failing really. "We're gathering the ultimate talents from all around the world! Even the ones that are blatantly criminals! Oh poo poo, one of them's a nihilistic psychopath! Oh poo poo her Talent makes her absurdly good at manipulating people! And now everybody's dead. How could we have possibly prevented this?".

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

David Corbett posted:

The whole art project becomes entirely more :gonk: when you realize that the original idea was dreamt up by the president of a roller coaster company.

It was dreamt up by an art student working at an amusement park. He was inspired by a joke from the president of a rollar coaster company, who said that the ultimate roller coaster would be one that sends out 24 people and they all come back dead.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

: But it's supposed to be an escape game, so how can there be any tension if there's no time limit?
: Sooo...I've decided to use your stomachs as the time limiiiiiiiit!
: What do you mean...?
: Well, simply put...

: It means kill someone before you starve to death!
: Wh-What the heck!?
: Puhuhu...if you're planning to kill someone, I highly recommend you make your kill as soon as possible!
: It'll be too late if you get so weak you have no energy to kill! *leaves*

This really is a huge departure from the usual Monobear assholery. Gotta wonder how it came to be.

Allright, now I just need a subtly mind bending way to turn them against each other

Which I will think of annnnnnnny minute now....

Oh gently caress it. I'll just starve them out. There's no party like a Donner party after all.

Eh. I guess they can't all be great ideas.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Akane is a character that, like most Danganronpa characters, comes off as a lot better after you do her free time events.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

Technically they are spoilers since I intend to get to them eventually, but we do have a spoiler bars policy in place for the LP. If you really want to mention it, carefully spoiler tag the contents and we're all good to go.

Without going into too much detail: Akane's childhood was incredibly hosed up and frankly it's a miracle that she's as well adjusted as she is.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hemingway To Go! posted:

It's pretty depressing to watch ultimate starvation.
Not even Hiyoko or Teruteru would deserve this.

Would you say that it causes Despair?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Qrr posted:

Real heros offer to help with murder, right?

Only Hitler murder.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

"Because he's a monobear" is never an invalid reason, but aside from being vague, Monobear doesn't really help the killer, does he?

He might remove a bit of evidence if it makes the killer too obvious, but other than that, no.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Carbon dioxide posted:

Have we seen a forest this big anywhere on the islands we visited so far?

Given that those trees would have to be at least three stories tall? Not even close.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

: Then I'll take responsibility and gently caress you!

I feel like this is a shot at us.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Carbon dioxide posted:

I do not, in fact, believe the hamsters are dark gods of destruction.

And that will be your undoing.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

: As long as you had the power of the hamsters you keep with you!

This loving game.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Zakrelo posted:

They didnt end up checking any of the rooms, but Gundham couldn't risk that they would so he had to show up.

Also: gently caress Nagito.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Qrr posted:

Not even close to Hiro. She didn't contribute much to trials, but what she did contribute was pretty reasonable, except of course on the one trial that she was intentionally trying to bomb, and honestly she was pretty justified there.

You may want to take another look at things. Because seriously? She's a moron who believes anything anyone tells her.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Venuz Patrol posted:

managing to figure out case 3 before the trial started is one of the reasons i actually liked it, even though it killed two of my favorite characters. its fun to follow along from a position of smug nonchalance like nagito does every once in a while

that being said, being forced to visit the hospital conference room before the investigation finished was a bit of a giveaway. there has to have been a better way to hint at that bit of evidence than dragging you to the spot and having nanami say Gosh That Curtain Sure Looks Familiar Huh

All of the games follow a basic pattern in their cases and case 3, in addition to always being a double murder, is always the easiest case to figure out the culprit on*. The challenge for case 3 is working out the how rather than the who.

*Other than case 1, but that's meant to be obvious to help guide you through learning the trial system

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

Enormous buildings towered everywhere, as if the entire island were one gigantic city... It felt very sci-fi...as though the island was a snapshot of an urban metropolis from the near future.

I feel like you'd be able to see that from the other islands.

amigolupus posted:

What interests me is Kazuichi theorizing that a bunch of rich people are making them kill each other. The name and picture of the founder of Hope's Peak was shown during chapter 4, so maybe this is a build-up to them being the mastermind?

Pretty sure it's a 999 joke.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Toalpaz posted:

I think it's fair for them to act like that especially since she's a stuffed animal that claims to have kidnapped them, and Monobear is another stuffed animal that is making them kill each other. And that the islands are a perfect stage for them to kill each other on? It's very clear that this setting has been planned out for them, so why not think the two stuffed animals with the same naming schemes and design are in it together?

Legitimate point. Let's say for the sake of argument that whoever created Monomi has no association with whoever is running Monokuma and is actually opposed to them. Why the hell would that hypothetical person have obviously taken design inspiration from Monokuma then?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

FPzero posted:

: That is right. Courage and recklessness are completely different. If you were shot at by a gun like that, you would have more holes in you than a Beatrice's nest...
: ...You mean a "bee's nest?"
: I-In my country...we use the expression, "Beatrice's nest"!

Honestly wondering how much she makes up off the top of her head just to gently caress with people.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hemingway To Go! posted:

how did "my only talent is luck" build bombs powerful enough to blow up an island without anyone noticing

This is the guy who lived through a plane hijacking because a loving meteor strike killed the hijacker (and his parents) and then a few years later found a winning lottery ticket in the trash bag that a serial killer used to kidnap him. Dude's life is loving weird. Suddenly having bombs isn't even in the top ten strangest poo poo he's done.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Zoe posted:

For a while there I was sure the twist would be that someone gets murdered because someone else panicked and wanted off the island before the bombs went off, but I don't think there's actually time for a trial etc. at this point if they're set to blow at noon.

Nah, Monobear would totally get rid of the bombs. He always removes the motivation once a murder's been committed.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

GuyUpNorth posted:

You'd think NISA has competent translators with agreed-upon romanization, if they use in-house team. If not? Anything goes I guess.

NISA is the translation team. They're the american branch of Nippon Ichi Software and they don't do anything but translate and market japanese games for companies that aren't multinational. The Danganronpa games were made by Spike Chunsoft.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Robindaybird posted:

I remember hearing shortly after AT2's release, they had a massive amount of openings in the translation team, given the amount of untranslated text, putting the wrong text on dialogue choice boxes, and the infamous game-crashing bug that only happens in the NTSC release, I highly doubt that it's coincidence.

Mana Khemia 2 also had a similar game-freezing bug that was in the NTSC one for the same 'hosed up the coding while translating' reason.

In one of the Atelier games they completely failed to translate a major game mechanic, hosed up the coding in said mechanic so that just accessing it in game caused the ps3 to hard lock and then had the balls to claims that it wasn’t significantly detrimental to game play when it was pointed out to them.

NISA doesn’t give the slightest gently caress.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

PopeCrunch posted:

This all supports my theory that this is all some sort of virtual reality / THE MATRIX / feverish thoughts of a dying mind thing.
How?

Zoe posted:

Mostly because I've never heard of 'fire grenades' but those sure do look like they could be bottles of lighter fluid with the label removed. 'Huh, the fire seems to be intensifying?" :confused:

They are actually a thing.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Oh right, torture to try and get the bombs locations out of him.

Yeah but, the bombs were one building over and not actually hidden in any way. Sure they were probably hidden somewhere else to start with, but I'm thinking he didn't move them into the factory after someone tied him down and stabbed the poo poo out of him.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I still think Nagito was lying about his backstory.

I mean, the ultimate universe is a pretty weird place, but a meteor killing only the high jacker and his parents? Actually, that's not the unbelievable part, the strangest part is the meteor itself.

So far Nagito's luck has been pretty simple - he just wins at games of chance.

Like rock paper scissors, Russian roulette, drawing straws.

So basically, games of chance are rigged in his favour.

His backstory luck is as insane as the man himself, but I dunno. I can't put it past Nagito that he's messing with us when he tells us the backstory.

I'd argue that getting grabbed by a serial killer, being released by said serial killer after they found out that no one would care if he died, and finding a winning lotto ticket in the trash bag he was kidnapped in is weirder than the meteor thing.

And really man, you can't just dismiss something as too unbelievable without evidence against it. This is a world where a loving highschool student arranged the fall of civilization. The meteor thing is nothing compared to everything about Junko.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 24, 2017

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

EponymousMrYar posted:

Of course there'd be a real bomb in the Octagon! :argh:

The one place Nagito had access to that no one else does!

Yes, the place filled with all kinds of murder weapons had a murder weapon in it. Not sure why you’re surprised.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Is Nagito REALLY concerned about the traitor.

I'm not sure he really gave a poo poo. He seemed to hate the whole class last trial, why would he now want to punish someone for betraying them now, and we also know he's been lying.

You’re assuming he wants to punish the traitor. If he’s against the rest of the class though then wouldn’t he be on the traitor’s side? I could see him replacing one of the fire grenades with poison and then relying on his luck to make sure the traitor got it. He kills Nagito, unwittingly, and everyone else dies because there’s no way for them to pick out who the traitor is so they loose the trial.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Rarity posted:

I've always thought this was such a weak rear end reveal about Byayuka. You spend the whole of Chapter 1 with questions and speculating about the possible links between DR1 and DR2 and then it's just 'lol nope it's a fake' and it stands out as so separate to the wider mystery it feels like it's there to screw the player around

I guess it's relevant to the case since a lot of people would be thinking "Well, obviously Byakuya was the traitor and Nagito was just a paranoid idiot." So they needed to cut that line of thought.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I love that the trial hinges entirely on "Come on, do you really think that bastard is done loving with us yet?"

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

...uh. It's still Nagito. Remember? This was brought up back when Peko did the killing. If there's a mastermind and an accomplice, then the blame falls on the mastermind.

That case would have ended very differently if this was true.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

C. Everett Koop posted:

Agency is gone because whoever threw the poison did so without the direct knowledge that what they are doing is going to kill someone.

Ignorance doesn't remove agency. And Involuntary Manslaughter is still a murder charge.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Podima posted:

Explain it to me like I'm dumb (which I am) - how did Chiaki swiping her ID prior to the murder confirm her as the traitor? I thought the whole point was that nothing happened at the time?

That wasn't the confirmation, the conformation was Chiaki saying that the traitor obviously wouldn't be able to reveal herself as the traitor even if she wanted everyone to know that she's the traitor so they'd just have to guess at who the traitor is, that she knows everything about, but that she definitely isn't telling them that she is HINT FUUCKING HINT HAJIME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

resurgam40 posted:

Pheeeew! And I can finally post in the thread again. I care very deeply about these last two trials, and I didn't want to say anything at all, lest I, in my eagerness, ruin the experience for anyone else. We have entered the high point of the game now, possibly of the entire series... and do you know what it all reminds me of? The Muppets.

*RECORD SCRATCH*

Wait, wait, hang on a minute there, put all of your weapons down, yess you too, in the back, rifle down. This is obviously not me saying that Dangan Ronpa is better then, or even as good as, the majority of the Muppet movies; they're not as good as The Muppet Movie, they're not as good as The Great Muppet Caper, they're not as good as Muppet Treasure Island or the Muppet Christmas Carol (even though I have other, personal issues there), they're not as good...as.... well, they might be as good as The Muppets Take Manhattan, if we're being completely honest, but that's neither here nor there. Nor am I saying that there is any sort of great message that is as sweetly profound or humane within DR as a franchise as most anything the great Jim Henson put his hand to (seriously, if you're not familiar with his body of work, educate yourself; even his "failures" are more conceptually interesting and ambitious than other people's successes... argh, message, stay on message.) No, I speak in terms of general aesthetics and presentation, of presenting something tongue firmly lodged in cheek, something that is obviously not supposed to be taken seriously that you end up taking very seriously indeed because of "teh feels." I'm talking about melodrama, friends, a story in which the principal arc is not one of characters or themes, but one of emotion- a story which bypasses all that silly nonsense of plot and character building to reach right into your chest and start tweaking- to make you laugh, to make you cry, to make you angry, to make you sick. And just as Jim Henson's creations were able to do that in spite of being obvious creations of felt and rubber being surrounded by cameos of every celebrity that says yes, Kodaka was able to do the same for millions by adapting a very particular form of animation style, one deliberately meant to be extremely silly and undercut the dark undertones of the actual story. The purpose of the presentation of both franchises, besides the immediate one of bringing distinction to each of the important characters, is largely the same: to put us off our guard so that we can be hit full force with tragedy , and in the casre of DR, it serves another purpose- to disguise which characters will end up being important, to both the plot, the mysteries being solved, and audience reception. I mean, really: last game we had a guy with a corncob on his head, for god's sake. Would you have thought, upon seeing his character, that he would be among the most popular ones, or that his arc would take the path it did?

Ridiculous... and yet that's the other thing these two franchises have in common: a complete embrace of their ridiculousness, a sincerity in them so direct you cannot help but play along, even if you know intellectually that their messages are incomplete at best. There's a pull so strong it almost becomes bullying in retrospect, and that's because it largely is- "What's that? You don't care about my silly story with the puppets/animes? Well, how about I make you care about it, then? How about I make this story about a journey to find fortune, or just put on one show on one stage, the most important thing in the world? What then, smart guy?" Such an emotional appeal doesn't really seem right for a mystery story, but why would you want to listen to a mystery if they aren't invested in solving it? I just spent the larger part of the morning looking for my keys, and it was very important to me, but something tells me you might not be as invested in it as you are when this moment happened:

I mean, look at that: our hero, in tears, showing more emotion publicly than he ever has before, trying to deny what he already knows is true... not wanting to push a button he has to push if he wants he and his friends to live. He doesn't wan't the next update to come... but we do, don't we? I sure as hell did, back when I played the first time. 1AM and a full day of work tomorrow, but I was not hitting the off button, not until I knew what happened next :suspense:

Is it cheap, to be so manipulated in a raw, naked, and unapologetic way? Oh, yeah, of course it is. There is a reason why being referred to as "melodramatic" is still seen as largely pejorative... and yet melodramas keep happening, for kids, for housewives, for romantics, for men of action, it keeps coming along in every culture, and we hop on board because sometimes we want to feel something. We want to have a niche we can slip into from time to time, quality, creativity, and even good taste be damned. That's how people are, so let's celebrate. It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights.

Can.... Can I buy drugs from you?

• Locked thread