Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

timp posted:

My guess (without knowing a lick of Japanese) is that the word for octagon is perhaps less well known in Japan. And maybe they don't have 8-sided octagonal stop signs like we do?

fake edit: a quick search seems to confirm that they didn't start installing octagon shaped stop signs in Japan until about 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Japan

In other words, this "riddle" was undercut by localization

I'm pretty sure 'Octagon' was said in English, too, meaning Japanese players would have to know Greek prefixes and/or specifically know the english word for 'eight-sided shape'. I vaguely recall Hinata being something like 'the meaning of 'octagon'... oh, yeah, the english word for [tako/タコ] is octopus... so maybe it's related'

So it's slightly less condescending. ...I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Ahh, man.... Thanks to dancingbears linking the Japanese audio of this trial, I get to experience the wonderfully despair-inducing difference between Ogata Megumi and Bryce. Not to knock on Bryce, but being able to hear Ogata's delicate yet effortless balance of breathy, breathless, whiny, insinuating, bemused. amused... If you haven't heard Nagito's Japanese voice, do yourself a favor and listen to it. It's totally the best thing in this whole franchise. I love it so much

Spoiler warning for the rest of the trial in the video as before, since it's the same video, but here's Ogata's breakdown. Or rather speed-up, because while it is the point of the trial where Hinata would carefully lay out the steps of the murder, he wants to speed through this boring poo poo and so Ogata mostly drops her regular Komaeda-idiolect of... not-quite-stridor and irregular prosody. (You can hear an example here when he talks about the opening act thing. Or when he plays Russian Roulette!)
Bryce... kinda sounds the same in his Nagito's breakdown of the case?

A shame, because this moment is hilarious.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

RedMagus posted:

now everyone is going to stand around him in a circle and shout Congratulations!

No, no, that was going to be for Komaeda

(un)fortunately he didn't make it

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

FPzero posted:

: So it's tooootally impossible!
I was soooooo disappointed they didn't go with "useless useless useless useless useless" or whatever variant with the camera angle changes here. DIO does say mudamudamuda more than murimurimuri but still my jojo references...!

The rhythm of "so it's tooootally impossible" don't even match the angle switches. That's probably my actual criticism of the voice direction here--I know how unwieldy 'useless' is to repeat. They could've used "it's-not-gon-na happen!" or something.

• Locked thread