Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Double Punctuation posted:

Well, that explains Nagito Komaeda's name. He's Makoto, but less oblivious. So that would make us Kyoko, but not an rear end in a top hat. That sounds like a much better arrangement than the first game.

The initial relationship between the two is set up really well here, and Hajime reveals that he's really not going to be another Naegi, being more cynical and suspicious right off the bat than Makoto ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ManicVolcanic posted:

Gundham is super my favorite. He's fantastic. Kazuichi is fun too, in a vaguely creepy but earnest sort of way.

Yeah, I like Kazuichi too; he's kind of a dick, but in a very believable, actually teenager like way. And Gundham... Gundham is just a phenomenal character, and his name is a big reason why he's so great. Imagine, if you will, somebody who when asaked his name, never fails to stop, strike a pose, and say, dramatically and in all seriousness, "My name... is MORDENKAISER SMITH!!!" Exclamation marks included. Every-time he is asked. :allears:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Hm. FPzero,great job on the LP so far, first of all, and I hope your wrist does better, but I wanted to ask: do you know about the extra scenes that happen if you have certain gifts (specifically, Gifts 61, 104-106, 111, and 113) in your inventory when you talk to certain characters at certain times. There are six of them throughout the first three chapters, and they aren't [/i]necessary[/i] and don't spoil anything, but they are cute* and build the characters a little during the slower moments. I ask because there's one that happens when you talk to Kazuichi at the beginning there; in specific, if you talk to him with Gift 104, the replica sword, which actually might assist with opening coconuts, you actually do take him up on his offer. Just asking!

*OK, OK, four of them are cute, the other two... well, "cute" is not the word for them...

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

It's more to mimic a Tengu then to indicate lying. She's just being silly.

It's the "swallowing 1000 needles/a blowfish" in Japan, as opposed to the nose growing.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

That's a highly difficult name to market though, given all the properties and other things that use that term. A lot of people would buy it expecting Makoto to break into this.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Malah posted:

Oh, come on, are we really doing this? Is this going to be Mikan's thing? Is this necessary?

I can't decide is this is just lovely, charmingly self-aware, or shittily "ha ha look at what we did" self-aware.

Yes, I'm afraid; yes it is; probably not all things considered. And probably a bit of both.

To be fair, I don't think the writer considers this to be wholly funny or healthy, or wants the audience to think so too; note that the only people celebrating it are terrible people themselves. But writers sometimes fall into the trap set by 'death of the author" and their own ability to actually present certain topics: should a thing that is meant to be gross and uncomfortable and rejected by the author be so in our faces that we become sickened, and at what point does it become exploitation of the thing it is ostensibly against? This entire series, by it's very nature , falls into that trap a lot, even more so when the original writer director is not involved! *coughanimecough*

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

One's schooling is more important than LPs, so take your time and good luck!

Meanwhile, Hiyoko continues to be just the worst.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think the idea is that the voice he's been using all along is the fake accent, probably put on to make him sound more worldly and less of a hayseed.

It sounds a little odd, and not nearly as incomprehensible as it's supposed to reading it, but Creole is kind of an inspired choice for Teru's accent- kind of obscure but still relatively local, recognizable and distinct.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

That's not where it ends, I fear. :sigh:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

That's a thing I liked about the sequel- this cast much more assertive and proactive than the last cast. In the first game people were pissing and moaning about Byakuya and how someone should whack him on the head for all six chapters, and did next to nothing. Nagito gets his crazy rear end locked down by episode 2.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Qrr posted:

Either way, Kazuichi wouldn't have invited him. Kazuichi is a creep about Sonia but even he thought Steve was gross.

Yeah, Steve would have involved some actual sexual assault in his beach plans, whereas Kazuichi's plan for achieving teen nookie is just so woefully ineffectual and non-threatening it just comes around as hilariously pathetic. I mean, hoping that the girls come around in swimsuits so that you "just meet them"? That's scrub-tier teenage boy plan; I'm not even attracted to girls and I know that.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

FPzero posted:

Hope you all have a good weekend, and to those of you who bought Zelda I hope you have fun!

I got no drat system to play it! :cry: But I will try to have fun anyway... somehow.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

GodofDiscord posted:

There's barely any speculation, though that's understandable since the last thread already covered this trial. Hopefully by Chapter 3 there will be more activity in the thread.
Good luck FP Zero!

Well, I would be participating more, but... I kinda went and played the game in the interim of the last LP and this one. :sweatdrop: I mean, it was right there on Steam and everything!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

I always kinda liked that extra scene with the ladies; it's kinda :3: if a bit weird, and the novelty of seeing Hiyoko actually do something nice for someone else (and practice her Ultimate talent, which doesn't really come up otherwise) would be worth it all the same.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Ugggh, here we are past the point the last LP stopped, and I can't join in, because I played this through and remember all the answers!... Wanna talk so much, but can't!

Eh, shall have to content myself with the anticipation of things to come and your reactions to the same.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

FPzero posted:

: More importantly, what was all that about the rope? The killer strangled Ibuki...and then?

: And then...I finished speaking.
: Huuuuuuhhhh!?
: H-How is that a decisive clue!?

Oh, Nagito :allears: He's just so fascinating in his annoyance, it's great.

But as usual, it's not without purpose. Can you find out what he means?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

So does Kuzuryuu, which I find particularly adorable... but not as much as Mechamaru in the back there! :3:

(Really only Kazuichi and Gunsam look like they aren't having a particularly nice time of it, poor guys.)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can believe he has dementia.

So do I... But do you see how he's so much more of an amazing character than Naegi, especially in terms of luck? For Naegi, his luck manifests as something that has a generally good outcome in the long run, even if there are short term consequences for Naegi himself, which contributes to his optimism, but Nagito's luck as he tells it here seen works a little differently... almost parasitic in nature, like a vampire, as he tells the story of his parents and his illness (true or not). And it paints a different story here: at last we can see the heart of what he's getting at: he has made his ultimate "foundation of hope" a religious belief, and he follows it with the fervor of a zealot. Because such an endpoint means that the terrible things that have happened to him and because of him will grant meaning and purpose to his life.

So yeah... he's a little broken. Wouldn't you be?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Plus, you know... as cool as Mechamaru is, I suspect his gimmick would have started to grate too much later if he'd remained. So all things considered, he's probably the best choice for next victim.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

And now for someone completely different. This should be good :allears:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

:pusheen:

... FPZero, I think I love you.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

My god...

He can teleport! :gonk:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Sure did, didn't he? Weirdo or not, it is pretty jarring how he just drops even the pretense of politeness one che finds out someone (allegedly, we haven't seen what he's seen) has no talent... and how telling it is for both Nagito's insane zealotry and the way Hope's Peak operated, if what he says about reserve students is true and the prevailing attitude at the school.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Hey! Wish I could join in on the conversation regarding the mystery, but I know it already...So I'd like to chime in to tell FP he is still doing a phenomenal job, and to give all newbies to this stories the following advice at this juncture:

If you haven't been watching the videos to the trials... start. With this trial and every trial following, and every time there is a video/audio file: listen to it and don't skip. You will not get the full effect of the following scenes unless you do, and you really want to do that; the voice acting in these games has never been bad, but just as the first, the essential quality skyrockets. I will not say why, of course... but I strongly encourage you to listen

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Selane posted:

Seriously somehow DR3 is even more amazing than I was expecting so far.

And purchased. I was so hoping to get things done this week, too... :sigh:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

akane's really bad at this detective thing but she's trying her hardest

Kaz isn't so good himself... But I can deal if his flailing leads to such delicious reactions such as this:

FPzero posted:

: Then let's start with something even Miss Sonia can understand: the weapon!
: ...Huh?
: Well...the weapon is obvious, right?
: ...Huh?
: What the heck, you guys...? The weapon...you can totally tell just by looking...

I really hope you're listening to the audio for this, because :allears: I don't even have to hear the JP audio to know exactly what Nagito is doing here: this very clipped "Ah?" meant to bring someone totally up short... it isn't exactly polite in any language, but in Japanese in particular it's the verbal equivalent of snapping your fingers directly into somebody's face, it's great.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

:same:, absolutely. One of the best parts of this new cast is how wonderfully willing they are to try the role of detective, even if their capacity for such roles is... lacking. (Sonia is one of the better ones at it, though, as I recall...) It is the best.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

FPzero posted:

: Then let's begin. Shall I call it...Thinking Time?

Is this...? Man I just finished DR v3 and man, this gets a reference in one of the minigames, and it's kinda the best thing.

Poor Sonia... Brownie points for participating, though!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, Gundham :allears: (But OP, you're kind of a bastard for leaving it there, because the sword challenge here is... well, you'll see. :allears: )

FPzero posted:

: D-Do not panic... The truth...shall now commence...!

A shame that this face is only used once... such a good face, too.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

mcclay posted:

loving welp.

I keep waffling you know- on whether this chapter is my favorite chapter in this entire series... or the next one is.

Either way... :getin:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, phew; the way the thread was going, I thought I was the only one in the universe who still likes Kaz. The internet comes through for my bad opinions again! :v:

Seriously, though, when I first played through the game (or rather, when I read the first attempt at this LP, lo these many years ago) I had Souda pegged as, if not a final survivor, a long lasting player because of the function he serves in the group an the game as a whole. One of the main themes of the series is how the search and prioritization of talent overall by Hope's Peak has led to a lot of overt and implied terrible things happening, and one of the indicators of this is the makeup of the classes we have seen- which to whit has not been a normal high school class as the term is normally understood. Forget being at the same intellectual level as a high school sophomore, some of these kids (and young adults) aren't even sane- are in fact so far from accepted physical or mental health that it's funny until it becomes terrifying... until it occurs to one that assembling all this raw talent under one roof with little to no guiding principle except "do what thou wilt" probably led to the Calamity. To highlight this unhealthy deviation from the norm, we need a baseline, a "control group", and that is the function Souda serves in this game, and this becomes clear in his free time events. He's not some weirdo, delinquent, or ubermensch; he has no plan to revolutionize his talent or take over the world- he's normal, almost aggressively so, and worries about normal things: school, friends, what he's going to do after high school. And having seen these scenes, it helps me link early game Kaz to late game Kaz and contextualize him as somebody going to pieces and seizing onto pretty much anything that lends him strength and normalcy, even if the measures he takes do come off as creepy and paranoid ( which, you know, they are). Does he come off well? No he does not, but try to imagine the normal teenager you went to high-school with in the same position, because that is who he is meant to invoke: the 16 year old, not particularly intelligent, not really kind or cruel but somewhat selfish and myopic, who just happens to be a mechanical genius. People have compared him to Hiro in the last game, but if anything, he's more akin to Hina than anyone else, who also was characterized as a normal person way in over her head. (And at least Kaz' Ultimate talent has come up in the story, whereas Hina's swimming ability was regulated to ancillary detail)

Now, that having been said... the normal high school boy is in fact a pervy dick and Kaz is no different as other people have pointed out: that this portrayal is accurate does not really make it pleasant. And of course the other caveat is that I am coming at this character from the perspective of someone who hasn't ever been the target of a persistent, unwanted crush- a staple of comedy for decades that only very recently has begun to get the shellacking it deserves. This portrayal has problems, problems that have already been addressed... and which the game could have mitigated by giving the player more agency in responses. For example, as Bifauxnen points out, it might help if Hajime was given the opportunity to take Kaz to task for his behavior, towards Sonia or towards himself (it still rankles me that we haven't got an apology yet for the whole traitor thing)... Heck even just the ability to mess with Kaz a little might have made things better. Like the ability to :smug: it up to him about totally being invited to Sonia's castle... or even the old "check Sonia's teeth from down the hallway so it looks like you're kissing from afar" gag... What? I went to high school too, I know how to be catty.

vvv Uh... citation needed? Seriously, Kaz is annoying and a creep, but what leads you to think he's THAT level of freakazoid?

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 20, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Pheeeew! And I can finally post in the thread again. I care very deeply about these last two trials, and I didn't want to say anything at all, lest I, in my eagerness, ruin the experience for anyone else. We have entered the high point of the game now, possibly of the entire series... and do you know what it all reminds me of? The Muppets.

*RECORD SCRATCH*

Wait, wait, hang on a minute there, put all of your weapons down, yess you too, in the back, rifle down. This is obviously not me saying that Dangan Ronpa is better then, or even as good as, the majority of the Muppet movies; they're not as good as The Muppet Movie, they're not as good as The Great Muppet Caper, they're not as good as Muppet Treasure Island or the Muppet Christmas Carol (even though I have other, personal issues there), they're not as good...as.... well, they might be as good as The Muppets Take Manhattan, if we're being completely honest, but that's neither here nor there. Nor am I saying that there is any sort of great message that is as sweetly profound or humane within DR as a franchise as most anything the great Jim Henson put his hand to (seriously, if you're not familiar with his body of work, educate yourself; even his "failures" are more conceptually interesting and ambitious than other people's successes... argh, message, stay on message.) No, I speak in terms of general aesthetics and presentation, of presenting something tongue firmly lodged in cheek, something that is obviously not supposed to be taken seriously that you end up taking very seriously indeed because of "teh feels." I'm talking about melodrama, friends, a story in which the principal arc is not one of characters or themes, but one of emotion- a story which bypasses all that silly nonsense of plot and character building to reach right into your chest and start tweaking- to make you laugh, to make you cry, to make you angry, to make you sick. And just as Jim Henson's creations were able to do that in spite of being obvious creations of felt and rubber being surrounded by cameos of every celebrity that says yes, Kodaka was able to do the same for millions by adapting a very particular form of animation style, one deliberately meant to be extremely silly and undercut the dark undertones of the actual story. The purpose of the presentation of both franchises, besides the immediate one of bringing distinction to each of the important characters, is largely the same: to put us off our guard so that we can be hit full force with tragedy , and in the casre of DR, it serves another purpose- to disguise which characters will end up being important, to both the plot, the mysteries being solved, and audience reception. I mean, really: last game we had a guy with a corncob on his head, for god's sake. Would you have thought, upon seeing his character, that he would be among the most popular ones, or that his arc would take the path it did?

Ridiculous... and yet that's the other thing these two franchises have in common: a complete embrace of their ridiculousness, a sincerity in them so direct you cannot help but play along, even if you know intellectually that their messages are incomplete at best. There's a pull so strong it almost becomes bullying in retrospect, and that's because it largely is- "What's that? You don't care about my silly story with the puppets/animes? Well, how about I make you care about it, then? How about I make this story about a journey to find fortune, or just put on one show on one stage, the most important thing in the world? What then, smart guy?" Such an emotional appeal doesn't really seem right for a mystery story, but why would you want to listen to a mystery if they aren't invested in solving it? I just spent the larger part of the morning looking for my keys, and it was very important to me, but something tells me you might not be as invested in it as you are when this moment happened:

FPzero posted:

: Who do you think...is the traitor?

Music fades out.

: ...

: Hajime...please.

I mean, look at that: our hero, in tears, showing more emotion publicly than he ever has before, trying to deny what he already knows is true... not wanting to push a button he has to push if he wants he and his friends to live. He doesn't wan't the next update to come... but we do, don't we? I sure as hell did, back when I played the first time. 1AM and a full day of work tomorrow, but I was not hitting the off button, not until I knew what happened next :suspense:

Is it cheap, to be so manipulated in a raw, naked, and unapologetic way? Oh, yeah, of course it is. There is a reason why being referred to as "melodramatic" is still seen as largely pejorative... and yet melodramas keep happening, for kids, for housewives, for romantics, for men of action, it keeps coming along in every culture, and we hop on board because sometimes we want to feel something. We want to have a niche we can slip into from time to time, quality, creativity, and even good taste be damned. That's how people are, so let's celebrate. It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

David Corbett posted:

Say what you’d like about Danganrompa, but what’s your problem with the Muppet Christmas Carol? Answer carefully.

And see, that is the problem with saying you have a problem about something, because taken on it's own, I don't have a problem with the Muppet Christmas Carol, because it's fine. More than fine, it's delightful and entertaining and succeeds admirably at being a family movie and a memorial to the great man himself. But the problem I have with it (and I do admit that this says more about me than about the movie), is that it brands itself as A Christmas Carol story, and thus is heir to conventions of the same. And... I'm sorry, but it's just not mean enough, not nasty enough, to be my favorite version of the story. The Muppets are all (pretty) well cast for their roles, and the Spirit puppets... are OK, but the very presence of the Muppets undercut what is essentially supposed to be 3/4s of a horror story. The Spirits of Christmas are ghosts, after all, and Scrooge comes to be terrified of them all: the Past that shows him how he betrayed and misused all of the people he loved, the Present that shows him that he is very much part of the problem and throws his own hateful words back in his face, and Future that tells of inevitable death that cannot be reasoned with. I think it was a good idea to make original puppets for these guys, but it still doesn't go far enough; this was a movie in honor of Jim Henson after all (directed by his son, Brian), and bear in mind that the meanest characters he created are Statler and Waldorf, and they're both great; I have a grin on my face every time they come on. And Michael Caine himself, while doing his best, never really comes off like he's supposed to either. He's not the figure of avarice and greed that Dickens envisioned, the horrible old man we desire to suffer and then regret that desire as soon as the spirits start laying the hell into him; he just comes across as a particularly ill tempered old man who shouts a lot and sometimes throws the Muppets around- good enough for a kid being introduced to the story, but loud noises just annoy me now, they don't scare me. And you're supposed to be scared by the story, or rather, Scrooge is supposed to be scared by it; he's supposed to be so relieved on Christmas morning he can literally not stop laughing and everyone thinks he's genuinely lost his mind, and that relief hinges on a total conviction that it's genuinely all over for him, a total belief that "Oh my god, I'm dead and in Hell, and I can do nothing :gonk:". It's not really something that can come across in a children or family movie well; Mickey's Christmas Carol came close to what's needed, but has its own problems*, and even Bill Murray's Scrooged! shows up to play for that part. But the Muppets... they can't pull that off, and I never really believed that Caine's Scrooge was scared enough by his own past that any redemption would stick.

Besides, I'm kind of a purist when it comes to the story, and it rankles me too much that they cut out Sister Fannie and Ignorance and Want. I'm an English major, I take my Dickens seriously. Are you sorry you asked yet?

*Namely that it's just too short to really hit all of the required beats; it manages the fear and terror (close, anyway), but doesn't stick the landing on nearly any other front. Besides, the roles chosen are just all weird. Goofy as Marley? The Giant as Christmas Present? Pete as Christmas future? What?

Stroth posted:

Can.... Can I buy drugs from you?

Drugs? Oh, friend, I've never taken one of those in my life; I genuinely am this crazy :v:

What were we talking about, anyway? Oh, yes, Dangan Ronpa! Yes, Monokuma is the biggest jerk, Poor Chiaki, and I still don't want to say anything other than that lest I give the game away for other people.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

dancingbears posted:

I love hate love feel emotions that this is the only time where you, the player, must personally cast your vote for who the killer is.

Right? Right? :allears: Oh I came to video games because I was a bored young child and wanted something to do. But then I discovered that games can have stories, and then some creators started getting creative with the emotional responses... And today, there's an entire section of games dedicated to exploring the idea of video games as emotional catharsis. (Well, I say today, but there were such games even back then, but what wasn't lost in the din of the shooters, RTSs, racing and sports was misinterpreted by a growing and ravening fan-base...) Beyond greater questions of quality of graphics, ease of controls, and what else have you, there is a special place in my heart for games that are able to engage your emotions, that evoke a genuine response, even if that response isn't particularly pleasant: The Last of Us, Night In The Woods, The Cat Lady and Downfall, Actual Sunlight and Depression Quest, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Gone Home and Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, plus all of the games Fedule mentioned in their post... all of these have ambitions beyond simply being entertainment, and all are in my estimation worth playing even for what they attempt.

And I would definitely say the same about this silly, gross series, and moments like these, their presence among the weird humor and brutal murders, are why. It is not enough to be involved in implicating a character you didn't know was even growing on you until now in a murder that will be punished in the most horrible, gruesome fashion by the bloodthirsty lunatic who's trapped you here... you have to push the button. You have to pull the trigger yourself, and you could refuse, just turn off the game right here and walk away... but then you won't know what happens next. And you don't want to know. But you do.

There is a definite art to pulling that feeling off.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

... You're an rear end in a top hat, Monokuma.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

....Yyyyyyeah. I genuinely like this series, I really do; it's crazy and silly, but it's my kind of crazy and silly. Kodaka's writing and directing isn't for everyone, but if he is writing and directing his own thing, it's generally from good to great; there are moments of I believe genuine greatness. But sometimes... he gets specific. I don't know if it's because he bows to presure from the fans and the studio, or if he genuinely misjudges his ability to portray certain acts, but whatever the reason, he is regrettably not content with leaving it up to the audience to imagine the horribleness of horrible things. It is the great problem with writing an effective villain, a monster that escalates in threat from story to story, that a lot of writers fall into, particularly in comics, that medium who's stories can last for months: it happened with Carnage, it happened with the Joker, it keeps happening with The Walking Dead, that bastion of pointless nihilism... it happened with a whole bunch of characters who are gleefully shot across every kind of moral threshold in service of making THE BIGGEST AND MOST TERRIBLE CHALLENGE YET. When dealing with a world-ending threat, it is not enough to have a murderer or a thief as a villain, you must go bigger, and thus we have what we have: patricide, mutilation, pushing people into suicide, and... other things. And it does. Not. Work. It obliterates the tone, and runs the risk of becoming insulting if the author has no real conception of of the things he's talking about. This was a silly mystery story about hope and despair, and now you want to bring necrophilia in there? Geez.

(I wish I could say this was the worst of it, but we have DR3 and UDG, where we can see what happens when someone else directs Kodaka's work. It's bad, and not even in an interesting way- it manages the trick of being both boring and offensive at once. Thankfully, V3 is mostly free of such moments, and the good-great moments genuinely do outweigh the yucky stuff, at least for me, so I hope that gets done by somebody in a manner that allows discussion.)

In other news, how bout them... uh... Warriors? They seem to be doing well! (At this one game going on now I just looked up)

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHA IT'S JUNKOS ALWAYS JUNKOOOOS AHAHAHAHA

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

I've said this before, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but... if you have the good fortune to be experiencing this series for the first time, you need to watch the video. No, I don't care how good you are at imagining your own voices to accompany the images you read- The voice-work on these games in both languages is good to great, and Junko knocks it out of the park in particular. Every pose you see Junko make is accompanied by a different voice with a different manner and tone... it's astonishing to listen to. Like my new favorite voice:

FPzero posted:

: It wash like reeeeaaaaal hard, y'know!? The Graduashun Program ish the core part of thish game, so it wash protected with a lot of encrypted codesh! It took me a long time! I felt sho much deshpair about how ushelessh I am!

This wasn't in DR1, and I think I laughed for five straight minutes the first time I saw it. Aw man, too long away from good Junko (and overexposure to bad imitations of her) makes me forget just how amazingly well she straddles the line of being hilarious and entertaining while simultaneously being the most horrifying monster possible. It really is great.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

I really like this game, and this entire finale is a good part of why. As has been mentioned, Hajime's voice actor kills it and the way he reacts- by entirely losing his mind- is a lot more relatable than Makoto was at essentially the same point, which adds a lot of juicy pathos to the scene. And the very last part is indeed off in the best way; the first time I got here, I wondered if I had made a mistake somewhere and tried to find it, even as I knew that other than the trial questions, the path is pretty much a straight shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

SMaster777 posted:

The Hajime/Chiaki heart to heart is legit my favorite scene in this game, if not the entire series. It's just so good.

It’s definitely a cathartic moment after all of this despair and gloom. I, uh, might have surged to my feet the first time through doing the whole “reject Izuru” thing. It’s good to remember that this series, at least in my opinion, is very good at finales. (At least, the main series is... I won’t speak of those other things.)

• Locked thread