Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Ol' Gundam's being awfully chatty for a guy who's normally divorced from reality...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

I feel like the animal angels is a reference to Nocturne's Game Over screen.

I figured it was a play off of All Dogs Go To Heaven, just extended to all animals.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Chapter 5 in Dangit RonPaul, means it's time to blow poo poo up :black101:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Glazius posted:

...Nagito, you can't blow up an island. It's resting on top of a mass of land that goes all the way down to the sea floor. Unless you found a volcanic vent or something.

Well the perv chef got deep fried in a volcano sooooooo.....

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Soooooooooooo....what's the odds that six people are now gonna be on the hook for murder?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I assume the blood-soaked Monobear with the big hole in the middle is so whoever did the stabbing could avoid getting pink on themselves, right?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Is it possible he stabbed himself with the spear, causing the fatal wound, and the rest are all superficial wounds?

It doesn't make sense but Nagito never did make sense so it's flawless in it's logic.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

The real information we uncovered here is that Nagito likes to eat mayo straight from the jar while in bed.

nagito confirmed wisconsinite

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The issue is that the poison card hasn't been played yet, and that's certainly got something to do with the whole shebang.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Let's look at the possibilities...

1. Chiaki Nanami
The thread seemed to favour the idea that she is the traitor. She slipped into the role of the protagonist's partner after Nagito flipped his lid, and has been a reliable aid the entire time - in fact, I'm not sure if she's disagreed with Hajime even once this entire game. She's at least the only character not to have had that sword minigame against us yet.
She seems to figure out every trial, but is shy about giving the answers. She doesn't get a lot of sleep. There's a decent possibility that she is spending her time in communication with the outside, or possibly programming Monomi in some way. On the other hand, all of those could also just be the kind of person she is.

2. Nagito Komaeda
He's been everyone's antagonist since the first trial (barring Monokuma, the actual antagonist). He'd be a very natural fit as the traitor of the group - almost too easy.
My main evidence for it is just a theory - that the kids on the island were all on the Despair side of the big conflict in the outside world, and the Future Foundation captured them, wiped their memories and put them on this island as a sort of rehabilitation until Monokuma took over. If that were the case, it's hard to imagine Nagito fighting alongside them, and easy to imagine him volunteering to infiltrate them. Of course, this depends on that theory being true.
On the other hand, he was quite committed to unmasking the traitor, and even claimed to know who it is. It could have all been an act, or a roundabout way of confessing it with the killing here. He's unpredictable, so it's hard to say.

3. Hajime Hinata
The protagonist. He's had his memories wiped, which could include memories of not being part of the group originally. We know he wasn't part of the class originally, which is a supporting point. If he turns out to be the traitor, and turns out to be the killer in this crime as a result, that would make a nice parallel to case 5 of the first game, where Naegi took the punishment before being saved by Alter Ego - there might even be a similar deus ex machina floating around in the fact that Gundam's hamsters are still alive.
There's not really a lot of evidence for it, though, and if he is the traitor it's more a fact of backstory and certainly not part of his actions in the game, unless some sort of unreliable narrator contrivance turned up.

4. Byakuya Togami
An easy guess as a possibility in the early game, the fact that he's been dead for four chapters would probably disqualify him. Except... the Ultimate Impostor had attention drawn to him recently. There's no details as to who he really was, but confirming he was an impostor confirms that the real Togami did not die. Why do that, narratively? Togami being there was a good mystery hook to get us into the game, but why confirm right at the end that we didn't see the real one die, if not to bring him in? I think it's for sure that Togami is going to be involved in the remainder of the plot. Perhaps he's been hiding on the island the entire time. And if so, as we know he's one of the future-builders from the last game, he would be the traitor.

5. Someone else
None of the other characters still alive seem like likely candidates to me. They've all got their own solid gimmicks going and characters in these games tend to have exactly two dimensions. At most, it would be pure surprise - which this game isn't above doing, but it wouldn't be very satisfying for the solution to this mystery to be something with no evidence.

6. No, someone else
I mean, I guess it's possible that another character we've never heard of could come out of nowhere and turn out to be betraying them all from the shadows. I guess.

So Junko did it I bet. We haven't had her crowbarred into the game yet and I'm sure it's coming before too long.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kitala posted:

And in this case Nagito would be the mastermind and the traitor, the weapon. Peko argued that because she wanted Fuyuhiko to live since they had selected her as the murderer, which Monokuma went along with except Fuyuhiko couldn’t bring himself to call her a tool.

I’m at a loss why that isn’t a possible argument now other than Monokuma being fickle.

Monokuma's justification is that Peko had agency; even if she had been ordered to commit the murder she always had the ability to say no.

In this case, you've got someone unknowingly throwing the poison, which is the difference. Agency is gone because whoever threw the poison did so without the direct knowledge that what they are doing is going to kill someone. IANAL but if this somehow happened IRL and even if they could identify who threw the lethal grenade I don't see how you even get a manslaughter charge to stick, much less murder.

So the two options the game has at this point is:

-they go with the "lol you're all guilty" option or something where they can't vote, they lose the trial, and shenanigans happen that leads to the end game.
-the traitor somehow knows that one of the grenades is tampered and throws it under the guise of helping, which now adds agency back in and it's straight up murder.

Of course, this assumes that Monokuma's on the level, which wasn't the case in the chapter five trial last game where Naegi was correctly convicted by Monokuma's standards despite not committing a murder. If that's the case then all bets are off because if the rules don't matter then nothing does.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

quote:

: "It won't work with just any student handbook. If you want to disarm that bomb, you have to use the traitor's student handbook. To be honest...I found out who the traitor was after secretly monitoring everyone's activity... But...I was a little annoyed that they never came forward.

Chiaki swiped her handbook before the fireworks went off. Nothing seemed to happen so it was ignored. But she revealed herself there and she's all but revealing herself now.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Here's the thing I don't understand, and that the game better explain:

So Chiaki's the traitor. Can they prove that she was the one who actually threw the poison? Because she can be the traitor and still not guilty of Nagito's death.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rarity posted:

Nagito you batshit crazy son of a bitch :stare:

he's pretty good :ocelot:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

It will all make sense eventually.

You wanna bet on that?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008