Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Having caught up on the LP I have but one thing to say so far.

What the hell is even happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

I like Ibuki. I'm not sure what to make of Gundham. Nekomaru is..something. I'm curious to find out what the nurse's deal is, other than just being what strikes me as some kind of inverse tsundere character or something.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

FPzero posted:

: What...what is going on? What is that thing?

So...I guess the only connection between DR 1 and 2 is the same one that's between Dark Souls 1 and 2 (and 3?) Thematic things and cameos from previous games, but that's about it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Once again, I'll quote Monobear, emphasis mine:

: Ahem, any method is fine. Popular ones like bludgeoning, stabbing, strangling, and poisoning... To shooting, beating, running over, burning, bombing, slashing, drowning, electrocution, crushing, cursing... Please, choose whichever killing method you prefer. No time limit, so you can kill as you please... It's an All-You-Can-Murder Buffet... A theme park of murder...

Whatever that countdown is for, it is not a bomb, and probably not anything which would limit their time either. No idea what that could be, though.

Yeah that's basically it.

You can read oren's translation of that scene here, although of course spoilers if you go too much farther past that point.

Why is everyone calling the chef guy Steve? Is there some reference I'm missing?

Maybe the countdown is the time until the next island is unlocked?

Also it's neat to see some characters getting filled out a bit. Sonia is self-aware enough to know she's a figurehead, but also seems to be rather intelligent with her talk about the flow of societies. The yakuza isn't just some foul-mouthed kid, there's signs he's resigned himself to his fate. Maybe that's why he's so mad all the time? Also at Gundham getting all embarrassed when a nice girl praises his hamsters.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

I don't know why, but somehow watching 'kuma go after 'mi is really disturbing. It's like a domestic violence dispute or something.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

It's not that I've ever thought monokuma was right, it's that when he interacts with regular ("regular"?) people there's a certain WTF-ness to the whole thing that turns it into dark humor for me. Watching him be abusive to something like himself with straight up beatings instead of sending a giant robot after it is..I dunno. Too similar to stuff that actually happens, maybe?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Well, Mikan just got a lot more disturbing. Like, I'm getting a "Raised by a narcissistic mother and pimped out/abused by her father" sort of vibe after that update.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Man, if that was the power going out Peko is going to be suspect #1 pretty quick.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

^^^ That doesn't make sense. How did the knife wind up next to him? Also in the picture it looks like the table is on the rug. I like the theory that the knife was taped to the broken table leg. Of course in order to do that someone would have had to have known that the table was like that. !Makoto almost certainly would have seen that when he was laying the rug down. Since he went there ahead of everyone, that gives him plenty of opportunity to set things up, notice any extra circuit breakers (if there are any), spot the NV goggles in the storage room, learn the layout... Given the way this game is already screwing with the audience, I'm going to say it was him.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 13, 2016

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Truthkeeper posted:

Not gonna lie, not!Naegi is seeming really suspicious.

I have to agree. Especially with that whole exchange in the storage room. "Whoa! A blood splattered tablecloth. Think it's related to the murder?" "Lol no, let's go somewhere else! Right now!"

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Oh man, oh man! Theory time!

Byakuya's strange comment can be explained by the note he got. He realized this was the murder attempt and started to act. If that note was sent by the killer, the killer would know that Byakuya would be on the lookout for anything weird and head to check it out, especially during a blackout. Something with glowing paint on it would certainly stand out and likely catch his attention. Byakuya was targeted. The knife being planted as bait works for this as well. It's got glowing paint so the killer can see it through the cracks in the floor. If someone comes to check it out during the blackout, their body will block the glow, which is how the killer would know to start stabbing. The killer presumably knows the time of the blackout in advance, so they have a schedule they can go by to prepare. It's possible that the skewer was planted beneath the floor well in advance, and the killer knew where to find it in the dark.

It looks increasingly likely as if Byakuya was stabbed with a skewer through the floor boards, right? Blood being the liquid it is, how did the killer manage to pull that off without getting any blood on them? They covered themselves with the tablecloth from the storage room. The killer wouldn't want to leave the cloth there to be found, as anyone who finds out how to get under the floor would definitely find that clue as well. So the killer takes the cloth, but now they need to ditch it as soon as possible. You can't just go walking around with an extra, blood-soaked table-cloth, right? So as soon as they get out from under the floor, they try to hide it wherever they happen to be at..in the storage room.

All we need for a twist is for there to be access to the storage room from the main room that we don't currently know about. Then all you'd need is a way to find the storage room from the main room. The power cord from the lamp goes to the storage room. Find the lamp, find the cord, find the room. Who had time to check out the storage room? Nagito. Who had time in advance to plant the knife? Nagito. Who had time in advance to set the A/C timers? Nagito. Who's closest to the lamp?

Fuckin' Nagito.

Peko was the one in the bathroom. She's ill.

Either that or the game is going waaaay out of its way to make Nagito into a red herring. Let the trial commence.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 24, 2016

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Amidiri posted:

The door to the storage room goes from the hallway, not from the main room. The lamp's cord would only take you as far as the wall.

Buried alive posted:

All we need for a twist is for there to be access to the storage room from the main room that we don't currently know about.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

These trial segments seem a lot more chill all around than in the first game. Maybe it's that the music has been toned down a notch, but it also seems like the voice acting isn't quite as full of hysteria. Also HOLY poo poo Gundham's voice. I might have to start liking him more than Ibuki for how cheesy that is.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

^^^ Her ultimate talent is a niche entertainment skill that mostly older people care about and she's projecting?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Haha, holy poo poo I was not expecting your own argument to get interrupted by someone else. That's awesome.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Talow posted:

Yeah, good luck with your schooling.

I do wonder what Nekomaru's thinking that he would argue against the irons.

The A/C timer hasn't been brought up yet. He's probably going to argue that it would be impossible to to turn on the irons in the storage room and then navigate to the dining hall in the dark. Either that or basically everyone was accounted for at the moment the blackout occurred. Since everyone has an alibi, there's no way anyone slipped away (or in) to the turn the irons on.

Still shooting straight for !Makoto as the killer. Helping with the irons is just his way of covering himself and throwing us off the trail.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm still convinced it was Peko though, and her stomach issues was just an excuse to have the door closed long enough to do the deed. Since everyone is demonstrating some level of competence compared to Game 1 its not outside the realm of possibility she was just faking it.

Eh..the thing with Peko I wonder about is how did she make it from the bathroom to the storage room with a bloody table-cloth without anyone noticing?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Talow posted:

Yeah what the hell. Nagito, seems pretty despaired right now instead of hop...eful....

You know... I wonder if Nagito is actively trying to get everyone to despair... but why.

Seriously, after that little speech !Makoto has moved up in my mind from "100% the killer" to "probably the spy if not the mastermind himself as well"

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

I like that I was right about almost everything that had to do with Nagito (except the crazy) and the passage being in the storage room. I do not like that all that really means is that I fell for the red herring. Probably. Alas, I am swayed away from !Makoto. I'm voting Steve, if only because it's easy for me to conceive of him sneaking under the floors anyway to try and get up-skirt views and then just taking advantage of the opportunity for murder when it came.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

FPzero posted:

: I definitely heard Teruteru's voice!
: It's handsome! Unlike his face!

What an awesome line. Even her pose is perfect for it.

Oh, Ibuki, you're back to being my number one favorite

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

Sonia is the only other person with multiple items pointing at her - as Discomusic pointed out, she's the one who planned the beach trip, and she was the last one to arrive, immediately throwing out an excuse for her lateness. Also she's gotten a fair amount of spotlight this chapter, both directly (in the library) and via Kazuichi's weird stalker crush.

She's also the only one in a wetsuit, which would be handy for covering up any blood stains on the skin.

Although I guess..uh.. swordswoman has that covered as well. I bet a dip in the ocean would wash stuff off pretty well.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

BlazeEmblem posted:

I assumed that the clear drinks were just water, but even so, all they have to do is stop someplace with water (the diner is right there, they could just grab a cup of water there) while everyone else is separated looking for clues.

Here's a thought: The killer panicked at being covered in blood and used all the water in the fridge to wash themselves off. I'm also betting that mask is actually a serial killer's calling card or something like that, which is what has Sonia so freaked out.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Uhhh, so the killer couldn't use the out-of-order shower to wash themselves off, and instead used a bunch of water bottles? And the game went out of its way to establish that Pekoyama was wet? I'm hoping there's another twist here.

Might be meta-gamey as hell, but almost everything that gets noted by anyone will come up later. The fact that there's an empty surfboard case will matter, somehow. The gummy in the closet will matter, somehow. It makes special mention of the closet being big enough for only one person and that will matter, somehow. Here's a thought: Mahiru and the bratty traditional dancer hang out together. Dancer girl likes gummy bears. There was one in the closet. Sonia was wearing a wetsuit. The wetsuits are kept in the closet. Maybe Sonia did the deed while the traditional dancer watched from the closet. Sonia douses herself with water bottles, then heads for the closet. The dancer girl hides herself inside the surfboard case so she doesn't get caught. Sonia puts on a wet suit to hide the fact that she's already wet and leaves. Peko is just a red herring.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

No.. Peko.. you were the stable one. Please don't secretly be a serial killer. Please let the foreshadowing be a red herring.

That said..I guess Mahiru and Hiyoko came in through the front door. Hiyoko probably hid in the closet while the deed was done, then left. If Sonia's footprints aren't among those at the beach side of the beach house, she must have gone through the street door to get her suit, which would help clear her of the murder since she must have done that before the murder took place.

You know..I wonder if Peko is like Toko from the last game and has personality changes, but she can feel them coming on and locks herself in the bathroom as a control method, but this time it failed. So..Mahiru and Hiyoko show up to do whatever, !Peko comes out of the bathroom after Hiyoko hides, gets the drop on Mahiru and..uh..leaves..out the window..somehow? That doesn't explain the part about Mahiru maybe not dying instantly, so maybe Hiyoko came out of hiding and finished the job by bashing Mahiru's head against the door. Friendly betrayal + serial killer in play = maximum despair. That sounds about right.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

I just noticed Chiaki's Gradius hair clip :3.

Also don't wet suits get wet? I thought the arguement would be more like Sonia washing the blood off, then putting on the suit to hide suspicious of why she's wet if no one has actually gone swimming yet.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Rogue 7 posted:

drat, it's either Peko or Sonia. The "should have been covered in blood" line is the key. I'm really hoping that Sonia turns out to be a crazy serial killer, because Peko is my favorite so far.

Peko is second for me, but I'm actually banking on her being the serial killer while Sonia did the deed and planted the mask. Just for the sake of maximum hilarity/tragedy.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Zoe posted:

Feels like it's definitely Peko at this point, given her behavior and the actual evidence. Seems a little too obvious though, and it still doesn't explain about the third person to find the body. An accomplice of any kind just doesn't make sense, and except for Fuyuhiko I'm still not seeing anyone with an actual motive or attitude of not giving a gently caress strong enough to make them murder both Mahiru and attempt to cause the deaths of everyone else...

It's worth remembering they pulled this stuff with Steve too. Nobody saw Steve coming because nobody knew about his sick mom at home until after he was already convicted. That makes any motive being obvious a bit of a red herring to me which, among other things, strikes Fuyuhiko off the list of suspects for me.

Also the game is definitely reading like Peko is going to get accused, but I hope she lives. You need a straight man as a contrast for the rest of this insanity drat it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Zoe posted:

What I'm wondering about is if something suspicious was going on that time you found Ibuki out in the hall and sent her to bed.

I"m wondering why Hiyoko's killer would even make it so public though when she'd conveniently announced she was going to be isolating herself in her cabin so that no one would consider it unusual to not see her for days. I guess she might have been randomly wandering about in time to witness or be involved with Ibuki's death? but that's a stretch.

Plot twist: In a final bid to make the character sympathetic, Hiyoko commits suicide after coming to regret her decision to kill Ibuki. Two corpses, one killer.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

PopeCrunch posted:

Yeah that made me think it was the nurse girl. I'm not sure anyone else would have been in position to lock the door after protagonist left there and went to the hotel, and she's probably the only one who would have thought of temperature being useful in determining time of death.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I assume it's because they can't actually leave the island without winning the class trial. I would guess they killed Hiyoko shortly after she quarantined herself, then waited a while and set up the fake Ibuki suicide (or actually convinced her to kill herself) and then used the heat trick to confuse the timeline of Hiyoko's death to throw off the trail. This theory might get thrown off by the Monokuma file, although if I recall correctly it does just say the time of death and not the date. As for the Ibuki thing, the killer could have just told her to go gently caress off somewhere and in her state she would. Then the investigation would be focused on a double murder, and everything will be back to square one when Ibuki suddenly shows up alive for the class trial.

It's entirely possible that the temperature difference is actually a mistake. Like the killer hid something in a vent without really thinking it through and that just messed with the ventilation, or something.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

The Monobear file could have said that Ibuki died of asphyxiation. I think the fact that it said "choking" is significant.

Holy poo poo, that would explain the bag. Ibuki was choked to death, then hanged later. The person in the video isn't actually Ibuki, it's the killer. The bag is to disguise the identity swap.

I mean, that still leaves a million other little things unexplained, but drat.

In fact, I think I just realized one. Was the candle still lit when everyone first arrived on the scene? If not, then how did it get put out? It clearly wasn't burned all the way down.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Yep, that's it for the hospital. No evidence was found. I don't think we even got a Truth Bullet there. FPZero didn't visit the on-call room, but in oren's LP, nothing was there either. If the hospital conference room was where the video was filmed, the culprit cleaned up very well. But given the incredibly short timeline, that just poses even more time crunch problems for the killer.

eating only apples posted:

It's still totally Souda. Kazuichi. That guy. He's being very specific about how the cameras work and how he didn't do anything weird with them. If he's not the killer, then he did something weird with the cameras.

Any time crunch problem would be solved by the camera/receiver being modified to record briefly.

Whoever pointed out the lack of long hair in the video was spot on with that. It's not Ibuki in the video.

Since the whole mastermind/henchman dynamic was brought up, my guess is Sonia killed someone and Kazuichi is her stooge. The camera being broken is to hide the modification.

Also, because it's a DR game and sometimes they are stupid, I'm guessing that Hiyoko was there the whole time and was just hidden with cleverly wrapped wall-paper and stickers, which is why there was a piece up on the light beam. Because why the hell not?

That doesn't really explain why an attempt was made at hiding the time of death though. If that's what the heat is even about.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

It's possible Monokuma is just being a dick. Of course, if everyone really has to be present, then it's possible Monokuma has a communication line set up with Nekomaru. But then why not just use a radio?

So it's probably either dick, or comm line + <insert contrived reason why a radio isn't workable>.

As for the case, I think the Sonia + Soda line is going to fall apart when the temperature gets brought up. They can't be sure that Ibuki died first.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

There's got to be a plot twist coming up. The evidence is just screaming, "Mikan did it!" too much for that to be the case.

Plot twist: There is no plot twist.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

The roller coaster feels like it's going to be involved in either the next murder, or as the next punishment.

Also seconding that Mechamaru's clock is going to be involved somehow. Feels like revealing the clock at breakfast and then the tea/soda dispensers at the 4th island would have hidden that better. Then again, who knows? Maybe the tea and soda will be important. Somehow.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's the dumbest, flimsiest explanation for not having your new giant robot friend bash down a door. It would've just led to Grape House, but still.

In fact, if there are any other locked doors that Mecha-maru for the rest of the game I'm out, that's bullshit.

It's quite a dumb explanation, but isn't there also a rule which states that the destruction of school property is grounds for execution? That would likely keep Mechamaru at bay.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

He said it himself. He took the picture from the first floor of strawberry house. Going by the picture, the window is clearly looking out from higher than the first floor. You can see tree tops. Over tree tops FFS. Strawberry and Grape house are on top of each other. That large cylinder on the left is strawberry/grape tower, and the wall is the two hallways laid on top of each other. I'm pretty sure someone thought of this layout upthread, but now we have proof.

I'm thinking the pillar was knocked over by use of the wire. Namely by tying Mechamaru up with it, possibly with the looped end around his neck, and the rest of it looped behind the pillar and tied to the door handle on the ground floor. Activate the elevator. Pop goes everything.

There being two sets of doors would also explain why there's, if I remember right, a missing door handle on the strawberry doors when you enter from Grape house, but not when you enter from Strawberry house.

Rigging up a trap like that, messing with the mechanics and figuring out the layout without going through the final dead room? I'm guessing it's Soda. It's hard to believe anyone else would have that level of knowledge.

Also it just dawned on me, all of the murderers have special graphics for their X's. Steve got utensils, sword-lady got her shinai and sheath and the nurse got..I don't know, I can't really tell. Bandages, maybe? Not just an X though.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 9, 2017

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

I'm a little sad that Gundham is going.

I'm very sad that Sonia is sad that Gundham is going.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

^^^

To elaborate a wee bit:
It's speculated that Gundham was an unwanted child, possibly the result of an affair, neither family really wanted him and this probably made him an outcast and a bullying victim at school. So he found friendship with animals, but otherwise has basically been alone his whole life and adopted this ridiculous villain persona because nobody wants to hang out with a villain and nobody wants to hang out with him, so hey I guess I'm a villain V V

Edit: Cannot manage to make the smilie-shoulder-shrug thing look right, I give up.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 3, 2017

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

You know, if the spear really was what finally killed him, it seems like he must have been holding on to the rope while everything else was being done to him. Not only that, but that part of the rope and his hand must have been near the stab wound or there wouldn't have been any blood splatter anyway. Which is impossible if his hand was already tied down. The only thing I can think of is if the killer tied him down and had the spear rigged up to the rafters or something so that when Nagito let go of the rope, the spear would fall and kill him. Then the killer cut the arm, and that's what the blocked splatter is from. Then the killer put tape over his face and just walked away, waiting for either the suffocation or the spear to finish the job. A delayed death like that would explain how it was possible for everyone to be in the warehouse at the official time of death.

Also whoever it was must be incredibly strong, because it cannot possibly be that easy to drive a knife into a concrete floor. Or maybe they used some sort of a tool that we haven't found yet?

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Also I get the feeling that memory loss resets your development, for better or worse.

I mean, memories right. They form a pretty big part in a person's development.

Losing them would sort of make you who you were before, in some ways.

Eh.. I find this doubtful. I think you'll react in most of the same ways and have the same personality/attitude/etc you always had, you just won't know why.

• Locked thread