Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DR2 is a beautiful example of sequel escalation working. More or less everything is back but better in at least two ways.

It'll be nice to see an LP thread without the... somewhat exceptional volume issue the last one had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It was the third chapter, not the fourth.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

I love basically every character in this game dearly. Even Hanamura, sort of.

As with 1, they did a really good job with the localisation here, save for a few maddeningly specific things. Like, Nidai being a "team manager". Come on. He's supposed to be a coach! Those are two completely different lines of work!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Danganronpa 2 is a case study in sequel escalation.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

To the person that has predicted everyone will survive, I like your optimism!

Also, a couple people didn't seem to finish their betting. There are a couple blank spots on the Byakuya column and one person only filled in about 25% of their guesses.

I spent some time last night trying to think of any way to make some sort of thread contest that people who already know the survivors can participate in but I couldn't really think of anything. The best I could think of is a separate betting pool for those people who read the first LP and haven't seen anything past what orenronen got to (which I think was Chapter 3 but I don't know if it was Daily or Deadly life). That would allow those who only know partial spoilers for the game to also place their bets. Such a pool would exclude those characters that no longer apply past the point that LP left off at. It shouldn't be too hard to implement; I'd just need to go find the old LP and see where it left off before making such a pool.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not but I'd gladly take some feedback on the idea. Prizes and selection would work exactly the same way. I'd just be likely to post the link inside a spoiler in the OP to avoid people accidentally clicking that one instead of the non-spoilers pool.

No update tonight because I'm taking a day or two to gather some more backlog before starting Chapter 1 in full.

I have no idea whether or not it's a good idea but the last LP went right up to the end of Chapter 3 Investigation, literally ending as everyone went to court.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Gotcha, NISA.

"Alcohol" here is from a, uh, I know the term for this... I believe these are called "false friends" in languages, words that seem like they map neatly to some thing in the target language but actually don't. This is kinda obvious in retrospect but "Alcohol" here does not refer to the stuff you drink but to isopropanol a.k.a. isopropyl alcohol a.k.a. rubbing alcohol a.k.a. the extremely common disinfectant which a nurse would deal with all the time. Also, as I recall, when I got handed this it was "bathrooms and the smell of alcohol", not "bathroom smells and alcohol", which makes Mikan seem much weirder than she already does.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

I was quite fond of the Official Sonia localisation, even if it did lack a little attention to detail. One's perspective on stuff like this is always coloured by having seen how else it could have been, of course.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

I'll never understand why they didn't just call it "Danganronpa: Academy of Hope, Students of Despair", like both fan translations did (sorta), that being a nice, evocative and reasonably succinct though not snappy subtitle, with the added benefit of actually being a good literal translation of the actual Japanese title of the game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

More than anything else in the huge array of improvements between Dangans Ronpa 1 and 2, I massively appreciated how the opening case this time is not completely transparent.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Malah posted:

It's one thing I'm definitely a fan of, as compared to Makoto/Kyoko/Byakuya/(Sakura) contributing nearly 95% of the first game's actual investigative expertise while the rest of the cast guarded the crime scene or just happened to notice something. Aoi and the fortune teller surviving to the end drove me up the wall because they didn't really do anything outside of Aoi's brief instance of Doing Something in the 4th case. Most everyone so far is either useful, seems like they'll be later, or might have some other role they'll reveal later.

Obviously I'm not gonna respond to speculation but you're wrong about Aoi. For all her issues she was consistently helpful, pretty much always providing a useful witness account, and even if she never cracked the case she had a good head on her shoulders all the way up until she was specifically goaded into a breakdown.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If I remember, down five is pretty close to a literal translation of the code. oren's LP did a different localization, it was more clever, but it would probably have been much harder to figure out than the one this version presents.

Our stupid lovely English language just does not have the capacity for ambiguity that Japanese does.

The game over message is "gokai shita" ("you screwed up"), except it's actually "go kai shita" ("five times down"). Options for dealing with this in English are basically limited to wordplay like acronyms or some kind of implied double meaning that somehow conveys a sequence of button inputs. And... there's nothing. There just is not anything. DULL START was a stretch. DOWN FIVE was just straight admitting defeat. Which was a reasonable thing to do, imo.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It is my great hope that Spunsoft will pull a Ghost Trick after v3, and just call up Kodaka et al one day and be all "okay here is a dump truck full of money, now come back in two years with something shippable".

I want Danganronpa to continue to infinity, sort of. On a purely mechanical level it is the last great golden-age closed circle murder mystery on the face of the earth, and I could love it for that alone. But I don't see any reason the mechanic or even the motifs they have need to be chained forever to Hope's Peak Academy and Monokuma. I want to see these mechanics set free, and evolve.

From what I've pieced together in my complete self-exile from anything v3 related, the game is more or less mostly what I just described; it's Danganronpa but without much connecting it to 1 and 2. That may be true or it may be a fakeout. Either way I'm hyped.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Among my bigger regrets in life was not getting a few things done a tiny bit faster so that possibly the last thread could have seen this reveal before its demise.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

Fun fact, when I first bought this game for myself, I ended up playing from the beginning of Chapter 4 to the end of the game all in one night, beating it somewhere around 6:30 AM the next day.

The "gently caress sleep" point is definable in more or less all games of this particular mystery bent. Ch5 through 6 of Danganronpa/2 (presumably v3 too). The final branch of all of the Zero Escape games. The final case of any Ace Attorney game. Chapter, oh, I don't know, 11 or so of Ghost Trick.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Anyone would think these games were among other things commentaries about the idea of a school like Hope's Peak, and how their near fetishistic worship of "talent" above all else is hosed up and warps anyone who comes into contact with it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

"Healthy" is relative in what is, in psychological terms, still the immediate aftermath of four murders, three executions, and two permanent and severe injuries, and the continuation of an enormous amount of stress over what I think at this point is something like two weeks?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

I'd bet money that this chapter, and the entire Mechamaru arc, exists for the sole reason that the artists wanted to draw one, just one crime scene without any pink.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Gonna restate this, and this is general LP policy unless a thread OP says otherwise;

If you are earnestly speculating and do not know the plot of the game there is no need to spoiler tag your speculation, no matter how certain you are of your theory.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The reference to SA is plausible, but also plausibly deniable. It's juuuuuuuust barely kinda possible that they might have happened upon "gently caress" as a total coincidence.

...Of course, these days I'm much more inclined to believe it is deliberate, because DRv3 contains exactly one very small but extremely direct and totally unmistakeable shoutout to both the SHSL Translation and Project Zetsubou's patch.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So it would be a HEPTAGON?

idgi

The lower of the two white shapes still has 8 sides.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It's also firearms.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

: A course in modern warfare is a required class in all our grade schools.

: Fifty thousand people used to live on this island...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The animations that play out when you enter an area where all the sprites slide into place have always been really nifty and are a signature Thing in Danganronpa, and the one for the Vendor Street is probably my favourite one ever.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It's true; quite aside from the editorial decisions I don't fully agree with, Danganronpa's localisation has just technically not been very good.

V3 did literally ship with a typo in the all singing all dancing opening cinematic; "a new killing game with begin again", dramatically rendered in enormous text on your screen. The typo is only the beginning of that sentence's problems.

Probably my favourite NISA Danganronpa funfact is this, which I'm going to post in spoiler tags even though it is an incidental detail in Ultra Despair Girls, which I am certain is never going to be LP'd;

UDG makes reference to the big tragic despair incident 人類史上最大最悪の絶望的事件, but several times actually refers to it as "the worst, most despair-inducing incident in the history of mankind", which is, uh, not the NISA-approved translation (that would be "the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history". I wonder how that happened?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Welcome to the highpoint, folks.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

resurgam40 posted:

Ridiculous... and yet that's the other thing these two franchises have in common: a complete embrace of their ridiculousness, a sincerity in them so direct you cannot help but play along, even if you know intellectually that their messages are incomplete at best. There's a pull so strong it almost becomes bullying in retrospect, and that's because it largely is- "What's that? You don't care about my silly story with the puppets/animes? Well, how about I make you care about it, then? How about I make this story about a journey to find fortune, or just put on one show on one stage, the most important thing in the world? What then, smart guy?" Such an emotional appeal doesn't really seem right for a mystery story, but why would you want to listen to a mystery if they aren't invested in solving it? I just spent the larger part of the morning looking for my keys, and it was very important to me, but something tells me you might not be as invested in it as you are when this moment happened:

I mean, look at that: our hero, in tears, showing more emotion publicly than he ever has before, trying to deny what he already knows is true... not wanting to push a button he has to push if he wants he and his friends to live. He doesn't wan't the next update to come... but we do, don't we? I sure as hell did, back when I played the first time. 1AM and a full day of work tomorrow, but I was not hitting the off button, not until I knew what happened next

Is it cheap, to be so manipulated in a raw, naked, and unapologetic way? Oh, yeah, of course it is. There is a reason why being referred to as "melodramatic" is still seen as largely pejorative... and yet melodramas keep happening, for kids, for housewives, for romantics, for men of action, it keeps coming along in every culture, and we hop on board because sometimes we want to feel something. We want to have a niche we can slip into from time to time, quality, creativity, and even good taste be damned. That's how people are, so let's celebrate. It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights.

There is a certain art to presenting what I am going to term "hesitation moments" - choices in videogames that aren't really choices and yet are the hardest choices. This isn't really something you see generally in western games, or, somewhat paradoxically, in games that habitually offer choices that meaningfully alter the course of the game.

These things are distinct from straight up moral dilemmas - even the best ones that challenge you to step back from thinking about what will put the most points in your Morality Meter and actually think about which if either of these actions is just wrong (such as; [Mass Effect 2] Destroying vs Brainwashing the heretic Geth). Even the best of those, the ones that make you stop and think, still ultimately come down to allowing you to decide something meaningful. But hesitation gambits lean directly into arguably the central tension of all videogames; that they are ultimately 100% scripted, 100% determined, 100% inevitable. They're not about letting you decide something (although they do require you to Go Through A Motion), but about forcing you to accept something, and typically also offering an opportunity to take a step back from the ridiculous program output on your screen and feel something.

The still-undefeated granddaddy of these moments is of course [Metal Gear Solid 3] pulling the trigger on The Boss. Unavoidable. Inevitable. Predestined. At no point did the game or any of the characters ever pretend it wasn't going to happen, or could be averted. And yet there you are, in what perhaps you hoped would be a cutscene, suddenly realizing that it's time to press a button. The game will not proceed until you accept that it must be done.

There are others, of course. One favourite of mine is [Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All] entering a plea for Matt Engarde. This one throws a curveball by actually offering a choice, and from one obvious perspective immediately undermines itself, but the fact of it remains; here you are required to accept defeat to continue. What you choose may not have much of an effect, but arguably it says something about you, maybe. A much more contentious example is [Spec Ops: The Line] deploying White Phosphorous against enemy personnel (a war crime btw). This one rubs a few people the wrong way because of how the game directly addresses the tension of inevitability - to the player, there is no choice but to proceed (other than turn the game off), but in-game, characters explicitly question whether or not there might've been another way, in a way that comes uncomfortably close to seemingly passing judgement on the player. We might say the same of a much more drawn-out example; [Shadow of the Colossus] actually following Shadow of the Colossus' plot at all, although nobody seemed to have minded it there. That game doesn't quite make the leap to apparently judging the player that Spec Ops does, but the conceit is the same; this is wrong, and you know it, but it has to be done, doesn't it?

My point here is that The Guess fits right in there with these moments. It's not a guess at all. We know who we have to accuse. We may have suspected for a while, possibly with a reasoned case, possibly without. It's not even really a puzzle at this point. But the clock's ticking and judgement is required; it's time to press the button.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Honestly this is really more of a mod challenge situation.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fun fact: Kaz Kodaka, Kotaro Uchikoshi and Yoko Taro are all, as far as I'm aware, not (publicly known to be) doing anything at the moment... Can you imagine?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

I can't believe Chiaki got the Konami Code wrong.

More like Ultimate Fake Gamer Girl.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 31, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Also, congrats for whoever guessed that the password would be 11037 .

What seems in my memory to be an enormous number of people guessed this way back in Oren's LP based on nothing other than that it would be the most loving Danganronpa possible way for that to play out, and they were on every possible level not wrong.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

In the cancelled patch, as a point of pride, I never, ever abbreviated "The worst, most despair-inducing incident in the history of mankind".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

But this current LP has been such an enormous time investment, especially when I've been accelerating the process as much as possible in an attempt to not have it take three or four years to complete, has meant that I've devoted countless hours of free time to this projects.

Never have I felt so called out.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Look when you're gonna run with a cliché, you better loving run with it.

Yeah, like that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Erin Fitzgerald and Amanda Miller are treasures.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

JUNKOS

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kangra posted:

So if this is true, does that mean when Hajime exits the program he'll be in the old guy's body?

That'd be quite a shock, to suddenly wake up 45 or so years older.

Lunacy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

I'm not sure, sir, but I think it's a white hole.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the universe: a white hole returns it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

https://twitter.com/drilganronpa/st...042601428418560

• Locked thread