Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Just as a reminder, DRV3 isn't the sequel/ending to this. DR3, the double anime series and the ending special, Super Danganronpa 2.5, are.

Though also as a reminder, they exist purely to crush your affection into tiny pieces and hurt you for the majority of their runs, so maybe don't rush to watch them for closure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I actually kinda liked Despair Girls. I mean, it also existed to hurt you for the majority of its time, and it was nearly entirely ancillary, but I love Toko/Sayo, and she really shines in that game. The game play was boring at best and the game was really, really uncomfortable in large quantities, but I dunno, I feel like the relationship between Komaru and Toko was fun. DR3... not so much. I guess it has pay off, but good poo poo. Half of that series is just hard to watch emotionally, and half of it is just hard to watch because it's entirely pointless edginess.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's actually the fact that there is a literal mini-game based around groping the main character where the narrator asks you not to play with one hand as if that's a thing they expect. The child prostitution stuff is tonally consistent with the message of the work, the mini-game is not and awful. Also the gameplay is poo poo and it has a bunch of the problems from Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2's narratives magnified.

FWIW, that minigame has you STOPPING the groping, not doing it. It actually does fit in that the character doing it to you is incredibly mentally damaged, and too young to actually and willfully process just what's going on beyond "this is wrong and thus doing it is punishment", but that's the game going out of its way to make you incredibly uncomfortable. It's in really, really poor taste, and the humor makes it backfire, but you can tell this isn't supposed to be a good thing.

That's kind of a problem with the story of the game; there is a lot of really hosed up, sick poo poo going on in the backstories and stuff. Problem is, the game isn't willing to dive deeply enough into it to make it have enough impact, and the humor and attempt to keep with the series' overall tone just amplifies how uncomfortable and tone deaf poo poo is. The underlying structure and backstories are probably some of the darkest in the series, but the overall tone and presentation doesn't mesh with that at all.

• Locked thread