Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I admit I've been kind of waiting around to participate until this thread gets past the last one.

Incidentally, I saw someone cosplaying as Nagito at Pax East yesterday, but he escaped before I could get close enough to ask him to rant about hope for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Their main criterion seems to be that the student excels in some field, no matter what it is. Extraordinary people aren't guaranteed to be nice, or even good.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Hey, I think her demon altar was pretty sweet.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

oath2order posted:

Don't make fun of saionji she is doing her best.

I wasn't making fun. It is both sweet (heartwarming) and sweet (totally metal).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I suspect it relates to this:

FPzero posted:

: From what I can tell...it looks like a regular length of rope with no unnatural features. But despite the fact this music venue has a storage room, there shouldn't have been any rope in there. Which means...was it obtained from the supermarket? Did the killer bring it from there?
: That means anybody could've obtained this rope, and it means it'd be difficult to use this as a clue.
: ...I wonder if that's true.
: ...Huh?
: Oh, I just noticed a little something. Is it okay if I confirm it?
: Excuse me, Mikan! Do you have a moment?

: U-Um...what's happened?
: There's something I want to ask you... There's no doubt Ibuki's cause of death was being hanged by this rope, right?
: Y-Yes...she had no other external injuries, so there's no doubt she died from hanging herself.
: I see, I see... So Ibuki died by hanging herself.
: That...was obvious the moment we discovered the body. You might not have seen it, but we all saw that she hanged herself.
: You're right! Yep, I got it! So this rope won't be much of a clue. ...Then I might as well search another place.

Jeez... As usual, I have no idea what he's up to...

Specifically, Mikan confirmed there was no doubt the death was by hanging... but it wasn't. That's pretty suspicious. The main mechanism of death from hanging is that the neck is broken by the fall rather than strangulation. Even if that weren't the case, though, which is actually pretty likely since this is a short drop, you'd expect the marks to be distributed differently. They're going to be more even with the strangulation, for one thing, since gravity isn't the only force in operation. I'm told there are some telltale marks around the knot of the noose, either, which probably wouldn't have formed if the body were put up postmortem. Mikan should know all of this, and she knows that the cause of death is super important in these investigations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

eating only apples posted:

That's only true when there's a fall sharply stopped by the rope, like when a trapdoor opens beneath the victim. If the rope that hanged Ibuki was around the top of the stepladder, as it would be for her to put her own head through the noose, then the cause of death would be asphyxiation or a crushed windpipe, not a broken neck. It's why you get stories where people kick their chair away and then regret their decision but can't do anything about it. Hanging execution (as in the UK up til 50 years ago) was done so that the prisoner would die instantly.

The killer strangled Ibuki with the rope, which could be passed off as a hanging death.

Yep, that's true of the neck breaking, which is why I mentioned the short drop in my post, but is not of the other symptoms. Especially not if the rope is wrapped around the neck several times, as it is in that illustration; you'd expect multiple ligature marks in that case. I mean, I wouldn't bet on my own ability to tell the difference, as a layman, but someone going around calling themselves the Ultimate Nurse? It would be very odd for her to be totally sure it was a hanging when it wasn't.

Further, the game literally just referred us to this exact scene, and there's Hopey McHopester being all weird about the rope. The referenced part is right there at the end of my quote. I refuse to believe that's a coincidence.

EDIT: As for the motive, that's trickier. She definitely must have caught the despair disease; given what it did to everyone else, maybe it reversed her personality and made her briefly super confident?

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 8, 2017

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I feel vaguely dirty having watched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I'm immediately wondering a) Who gets stuck with the "crummy room"? (Rooms? There appear to be two on the map.) b) What in the hell is a "final dead room"?

• Locked thread