Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

resurgam40 posted:

Hm. FPzero,great job on the LP so far, first of all, and I hope your wrist does better, but I wanted to ask: do you know about the extra scenes that happen if you have certain gifts (specifically, Gifts 61, 104-106, 111, and 113) in your inventory when you talk to certain characters at certain times. There are six of them throughout the first three chapters, and they aren't [/i]necessary[/i] and don't spoil anything, but they are cute* and build the characters a little during the slower moments. I ask because there's one that happens when you talk to Kazuichi at the beginning there; in specific, if you talk to him with Gift 104, the replica sword, which actually might assist with opening coconuts, you actually do take him up on his offer. Just asking!

*OK, OK, four of them are cute, the other two... well, "cute" is not the word for them...

Huh, I never knew that any of the gifts did anything outside of the free time events. That's interesting.

Are there any others? Also, I don't think the numbers are much of a spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

serefin99 posted:

...Mikan is dead. Something so sweet and innocent is not allowed to survive a Danganronpa game.

Aoi survived the first game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

FoolyCharged posted:

Nagito, you save the breakdown for after you get caught. In any case all the makoto similarities seem to be a solid false flag at this point given that I really can't see the ultimate hope telling everyone to just give up and die like that.

Unless this is a super huge red herring it looks like they just clear cut flagged our killer at least.

You know, that's something I find funny about Danganronpa 1 and 2.. In (for example) Pheonix Wright at least when the culprit broke down and started cackling maniacally, you still had to prove the last piece of the puzzle because of the game world's insane law system. In Danganronpa it's based on the characters voting, but apparently having everything except the step-by-step walk through of the crime isn't convincing enough.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

EponymousMrYar posted:

Every swimsuit picture has the Pork Burger pig next to it.

If that's not the team lampshading this then I don't know what is.

You know, it's obviously blatant fanservice, but I kinda like how Hinata reacts to it. Naegi described himself as being so generic it was abnormal (I think, maybe that was someone in the LP thread? ) beyond his little bit of optimism. Hinata shows his personality a bit more a bit sooner and it kinda makes him feel more... normal?

e: Then again he did kinda swoon for Maizono, maybe I'm just overly harsh on Naegi.

I liked the characters in DR1 but I think DR2 has overall one of my favorite casts in any game.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 20, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Qrr posted:

Eh. English has an immense number of double entendres, mondegreens, and other ambiguous options available. I don't think it has a good one for pressing down five times, but I'm sure translating puns or whatever from English to Japanese is a huge pain too.

That reminds me of an article I read few years back about translating Seinfeld to GErman.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/24/8...nal-translation

English linguistic weirdness works vastly differently from Japanese linguistic weirdness.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Carbon dioxide posted:

Apparently our protagonist has gotten to the point where he trusts Fuyuhiko's word on what the radio conversation was about? That's crazy, I think Hajime might be getting sick as well.

To be fair, he's started to change since the last trial. Still a bit odd considering Hinata's notably cautious towards the start of the game, but it's something.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Funny story: The first time I was playing the game, it was in Japanese, a language I only kind-of understand. I ended up having to ask in the DR games thread for a recap of what happened because I couldn't figure it out. I figured I'd get the proper experience when the LP reached this point.

And so I will. It just took... A little longer than I expected, at the time.

Sindai posted:

Haha, I don't think I spotted Mikan's cross last trial.

I think the unique Xs for each of the killers was one of my favorite little touches.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Chiaki's sprite change after Kazuichi starts getting his creep on again made me smile.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Akane annoys me. A lot.

It's more or less turned into the same situation as DR1's end game, just with 4 people on the level and 2 idiots instead of 3 and 3.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

A lot of people didn't like the last part of DR2, but honestly, I thought it was fantastic. Everything I had hoped it would be and more.

Virtue posted:

Was this foreshadowed before? Someone please remind me so I don’t have to re read the whole LP.

Almost constantly. In the splash art, Chiaki's upside down compared to everyone else, she's the only one who wanted to go along with Monomi's ideas before Monobear showed up... She was basically always the odd one out.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 30, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Solitair posted:

Yeah, the anime is a direct sequel to 2 (and prequel to 1 and 2), but I'm almost positive that you don't need to watch it to play V3.

You are correct. V3 has some callbacks to DR1/2/3, but even just having a passing familiarity is enough to get the references, basically.

I detest DR3. I'd love to have a Let's Watch of it just so I can point out all the things I hate about it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

There's another Nier game in production, so presumably he's involved in SOME capacity.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 30, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Stroth posted:

Trapped in a failing simulation, or having a psychotic break?

Taking all bets!

why_not_both.png

I know nobody reacted at any of that, in-universe, but there's something particularly sad to me about Hinata not reacting at all to seeing Chiaki. Like he's so far into denial about it...

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 31, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

I'm impressed he managed to get Junko's hand, considering her corpse was kinda crushed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

I hadn't made the connection before, but the game starts off with the player probably saying "I feel like I've been here before", with the DR2 cast having subtle (or not so subtle) resemblances to the first game's cast, and ends with literally going to the first game again. What do you call deja vu when it's for a time you had deja vu.

Sindai posted:

Maybe we're starting route B, and now we play through the whole game again as Nagito.

The game is like the Clue movie, "But what if it ended THIS way?!"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Falconer posted:

I checked the first few updates again and one of the first things that shows up is what looks like the boot-up screen for an early-generation console or computer. This is shortly followed by Hajime standing in front of Hope's Peak Academy which in turn is shortly followed by distortions and glitches that escalate in severity. It looks like this has been a less than stable simulation from the very start, it's just that whatever was maintaining it was able to hold things together rather well up until Monomi and Chiaki 'died'.

We also finally get to find out how the farm got changed!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Good timing on letting your pet die.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Zoe posted:

Is the worst, most horrible, most very bad no good incident less ridiculously phrased in Japanese?

If something in DR sounds silly in English it was probably at least four times as absurdly phrased in Japanese.

The writers very much intentionally played up how overdramatic it was, though I can't remember Orenonen's explanation for the reasoning behind it back from his first DR LP thread.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Stroth posted:

There's also the point that Junko was absolutely the kind of person who would name things as ridiculously as possible just because it would irritate people if you need a Watsonian reason.

It's Junkos, Junkos all the way down baby!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Yup, still confused. Why does this poo poo always have to suddenly get overcomplicated? so many great Japanese games totally lose me near the end.

We're looking for a weapon to surpass metal gear.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

While I can understand how "everything was fake" would be troubling, you'd think it'd have been less of a shock to Hinata in light of everything going on.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Unless... Monokuma is being controlled by Junko's hand! Evil Dead style!

And people thought the Metal Gear reference I made was a joke.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Alter Ego survived DR1 after all.

Maybe it's a different one!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

One thing that strikes me as odd is that apparently the survivors are 'restored' to their pre-despair selves but Hinata doesn't seem to be completely down with the idea of turning into some super talent zombie. I'm not sure if that's part of what they meant by it being imperfect or if Naegi/Junko just aren't entirely sure how it'll work out.

Fedule posted:

Look when you're gonna run with a cliché, you better loving run with it.

Yeah, like that.

I played DR2 around the time when the JUNKOS thing was going high in Orenonen's thread. My Japanese isn't super great so I wasn't entirely sure what was going on (not that it's much easier to know when you understand the language, apparently. ) but when giant AI Junko burst onto the scene I just about dropped my PSP laughing.

resurgam40 posted:

I really like this game, and this entire finale is a good part of why. As has been mentioned, Hajime's voice actor kills it and the way he reacts- by entirely losing his mind- is a lot more relatable than Makoto was at essentially the same point, which adds a lot of juicy pathos to the scene. And the very last part is indeed off in the best way; the first time I got here, I wondered if I had made a mistake somewhere and tried to find it, even as I knew that other than the trial questions, the path is pretty much a straight shot.

Apparently a lot of people didn't like the ending and I'm not sure why. Yeah it kinda goes off the rails, but not in an unprecedented way. The fact that this is apparently all possible because of how much Hinata wanted to be special only to be unable to take the pressure when thrust into center stage is perfect/terrible.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 8, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

Terper posted:

There are two possible outcomes here (the reset doesn't count). Either they Graduate, and the consciousnesses they have right now will be returned to their bodies, and Hinata will no longer be super-talented, because all of that will be wiped away. Or they activate the Shutdown, meaning the consciousnesses they had before the program started will be restored, and the Hinata we've known all this time will be gone forever.

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, the implication is that Hinata is so different from Kamukura that he'd basically be committing suicide if he goes with the shutdown sequence(unlike the others, whose pre-program selves are an unknown factor & corrupted by Despair but still easy for them to see as themselves). Hinata's understandably a little hesistant about that.

His pre-despair self seemed to be cool with sandblasting his brain clean to get replaced with someone cooler, as Hinata was apparently a fanboy with delusions of grandeur. Apparently that's not the case now. Either this Hinata isn't much like the original, or Hinata might not have been willing the first time he got wiped.

Either possibility is kinda unsettling.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

I didn't quite tear up but that conversation is definitely immensely moving if you're invested enough to play this far into the game.

That said, FPZero or someone else needs to do a simulwatch of DR3 to show how it ruins everything ever.

I was more thinking of The Gun That Can Kill The Past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

by Reene

RareAcumen posted:

Looking forward to the game where you time travel back to whatever made Junko so messed up and prevent it from happening and save the future for generations to come.

Well, they could always do a sequel to Dangan Ronpa IF!

• Locked thread