Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

So I just marathoned FPzero's lp with the first Daganronpa, so all I'll say is I'm pumped to watch this all play out!

I have no clue whats going to happen, since we're on an island, I'm assuming this is like a 30 hour long beach episode in an anime and everyone is going to have a fun time...right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

EponymousMrYar posted:

SOON THE ERA OF HAMSTERS SHALL BEGIN!

OUR FURRY BUTTS WILL BLOCK OUT THE SUN!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Qrr posted:

Nekomaru is a cool dude.

And I guess there were some other people too.

Nekomaru seems like the kind of dude you could chill with and have a beer, he'd rib ya, but it'd be in good fun!

As for the other two, we have grumpy gangster and skeptical photographer. Fuyuhiko seems like Mondo but with Buyakua's personality.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ChaosArgate posted:

Wow, I forgot how much of a creep Hanamura was.

Yeah that was...awkward, hes seems like that that you try to avoid cause he says tons of off putting stuff and then gets mad and says "everyone" talks like that.

Peko seems kind of....intense.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

ManicVolcanic posted:

Now that we've met everyone, I think it's alright for me to say that at this point the characters feel like remixed versions of the DR1 cast. Notably, there's Chiaki, who appears to fill Chihiro's (apparent) "computer girl" slot, Akane, who seems to be Hina's "attractive, spacey athlete chick" combined with Leon's "careless, firey athlete," and Fuyohiko, who combines Byakuya's "untouchable better-than-you" attitude with Mondo's temperament and language.

And we now have Byakuya, whose like DG1 Byakuya, except fat!

I do like though how it seems like everyone already knows each other judging by how not-Makoto introduces you around, I wonder how this will all play into the group dynamic when Hajime joins the group for the inevitable Dangan fun that should go down.

Seriously, I have so many questions, so is this like a direct sequel or some kind of alternate universe Dangan? If its the former, what the hell happened after they left Hopes Peak? Whats become of the world? Is this some kind of twisted pastiche that's meant to throw us off guard when juxtaposed to the extreme violence of Danganronpa?

... How did Byakuya get so fat?!? He does not seem like the kind of guy who'd let himself go.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

And Miss Usami. will be there too! Best school trip ever!!!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

So Monokuma brought back up this time around? Interesting!

Also, it seems like Usami and Monokuma knew each other before this went down, is there like a race of stuffed animal robots that have powers to control the world?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

"Phuhuhu. Wow, everyone just decides to give up their right to vote. Well too bad! Its time for a Class Trial! and ya gotta vote for one of you to be punished!!"

But yeah, I agree with everyone FPzero, just go about the Free Time events how you want to, whatever makes things easiest!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

If nothing else, the intro really captured the smugness well here.

Also RIP Usami, at least you tried!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Also since I'm coming into this completely blind, I've taken the liberty of making a spreadsheet for a Danganronpa 2 Deadpool.

Here is the link

For all of you who are following blind like I am, feel free to predict which characters you think will live or die by the end of the game!

But don't think about posting in if you know already who lives or dies! Spoilers are unbearable!!!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FPzero posted:

I like this idea a lot. This could be a fun little betting pool. I know a fair number of people reading have seen part if not all of the game but it would be fun to read unspoiled or newcomer predictions.

In fact, how about we sweeten the deal? If, at the end of the LP, someone manages to guess the survivors correctly I'll put their name into a random pool (assuming there's more than one) and award one or two winners an avatar gift certificate. If no one gets it perfectly I'll award the certificate to the person who gets the most correct guesses.

Obviously, if you know how the game ends, please don't make predictions that would spoil everyone's fun. I know who the survivors are so if I suddenly see the correct combination a lot I'm going to get suspicious. Not to mention a fair number of you have already said whether or not you've seen the game before.

Sounds awesome!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FPzero posted:

That's a good idea. Once that first round is complete, I'll give 24 hours notice and then I'll ask Jimmy to lock the sheet so it can't be edited any longer.

Glad to have the official sanction and OP banner!

I'll make sure to lock the sheet once we hit the cut off!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Whoever changed Teruteru's name to Steve...Good call!

Also so far in the dead pool, Chiaki, Teruteru Steve and Ibuki have no votes for living to the end. Dead characters walking?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Thesaya, Talow, Serpentis, you've partially filled out the pool, but are still missing an entry or two to complete your guesses!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Talow posted:

Wait what? Whoops, I'll go fix that.

Edit: There we go.

Aweosme! Thank you!

Serefin99 You also need to finish your entry!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

serefin99 posted:

Well poo poo. Thanks for giving me a heads up, even if I am just now seeing it.

No problem! Wanted to make sure everyone gets their deadpool entries in before the fun begins!

Also Thesaya I still need you to put down if you think Monokuma will live or die.

And ya better put in the right one, I couldn't bear to see you choose poorly!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Seeing Fat Byakuya talks about body fat, I thought he was going to say something more like...

Do you even bulk brah?!?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Malah posted:

[SECOND GUESSING INTENSIFIES]

It's like a continuous loop of "am I underestimating how crazy this is going to get, or is that what the game wants me to think?"

Danganronpa 2 is playing 9-dimensional mind chess with our brains, I keep asking myself "Will these characters survive or is it just me wanting them to survive?"

Like you said does the game want me to think this way? Is the game assuming we played the first game and know who lived and how, and is planning on turning that expectation on us?!?

I'm still pulling for Sonia to live since damnit I want to believe!!!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

THE DEADPOOL HAS NOW BEEN CLOSED. COMMENCING GAME

Welcome! Welcome! Now before we begin these lets play festivities, I figured I'd announced the results of the viewers little "deadpool" they have going on. With that, I hereby begin "The Hopes Peak Academy Class Trip Pre-Superlatives!"

Most Likely To Die: This prestigious award goes tooooooooooooooooooooo....

Steve!

Uhh

What?

Who is this "Steve"

Whoops, sorry I forgot that's his fan nickname for the folks at home. I meant to say, Hopes Peak 2016 Most Likely to Die Candidate is Teruteru Hanamura!!!!!

Wah... Waaaaah...

: WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! WHHHYYYY

Puhuhu sorry, but not sorry buddy, seems like almost noone at home voted that'd you'd survive!

Ah-hahahahahaha! Ya want some free advice Steve? No one likes a weird creepy pervert! Anyways, that's the awards!!! Oh and Hajime wins most likely to live. Sorry chumps but being the point of view character has perks in these kinds of games!

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 26, 2016

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FPzero posted:

On a side note, I want to extend a thank you to Jimmy4400nav not only for thinking up and assisting with the Survivors Dead Pool but also for gifting me a copy of Danganronpa 2 on Steam! He approached me with it and we decided that with my PSTV and capture card both giving me some cause for concern lately, having the game on PC was a good insurance policy for the LP. I'm planning to continue using my PSTV for the LP since I have an established workflow as well as completed save files on it but I might dive into the PC version on my own time, run a couple tests and see if it's worth my time to switch versions for any reason. Thanks again, Jimmy!

Happy to help, your LPs rock FPzero!

quote:

Phew... I feel great that I've shared that with you. Seriously, memory loss plots are so old hat nowadays... Only a total hack would wait until the end of the story to reveal a cliched twist like that! Puhuhu... Wasn't that a huge surprise? In truth, you guys aren't freshmen students at all. You guys just thought you were because you've lost all of your school memories! Quick, someone get a plagiarist because I feel like I've heard this story before!

Also wow, they're not pulling any punches out of the gate here. Like Qrr said if you'd played the first game it'd have been kinda obvious. I wonder how the group knowing all this ahead of time will affect the dynamic and the motivations?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

quote:

Mmhmhm, I may be a pervert, but I'm the kind of pervert everybody likes!

No Steve, you're the pervert no one likes.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Uh Mikan...You okay there buddy?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cuntellectual posted:

Aoi survived the first game.

But what if that's what they want you to think: "Oh the sweet one survived the first game, they should be safe here!" only to have the knife twisted in?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Sylphosaurus posted:

Oh please, just drop dead or something. I didn't think it was possible but you are pretty much on the same level as pervo chef in my eyes when it comes to being obnoxious.

She's on my list to survive solely because I'm convinced shes being set up to be disliked only for the game to pull a switcheroo on us later on and make her not so bad...

Steve gets no benefit of the doubt there

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Qrr posted:

On the other hand, look at how everyone else reacts to Hiyoko putting down Mikan - one time one person said something about it but otherwise they just kind of let it happen.

The Ultimate Fanfic guy was pretty pervy, but he was only into 2D girls so it wasn't the same as Teruteru.

Hell, Hifumi killed someone because he thought they assaulted a girl. If he was here Teru's rear end would be grass which is something I never thought I'd say about Hifumi come to think of it.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Uh oh, I've seen enough cliche murder mysteries to know a "black out and then murder" scenario.

My one hope is that its Steve who gets schiskabobed.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Poor Mikan, can't catch a break.

And NOOOOOOOO, FAT BYAKUYA!!!!!!!!

Once Monokuma confirms the death, I'll update the running tally on the board.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Looking at the scene, the green stuff on the handle looks similar to the stuff on the broken table leg, was the knife hidden in there?

But this is weird, the scene shows actual red blood (rather than Pepto-Bloodsmol) except on the blade its self and on his stomach it looks like.

The big question is how did he get down there? My theory right now is that Fat Togomi had night-vision goggles for just this kind of instance, saw someone pulling a knife and tried to wrestle them only to get shanked. right now no one is above suspicion. you have three people MIA from the room (Yakuza Dude, Sword Chick and Gamer Gal) so they could have tripped the lights, but considering how fast this had to go down, I'm not sure they could have done it and then scrammed from the room. Though if that was the cast you'd expect the murder to be covered in blood.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

I've created a second tab on the dead pool that tracks current victims and peoples points. Right now 8 of us earned a point for predicting Fat Byakuya's death.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Hmmm, so it looks like the knife was smuggled in under the table and the glow paint was there to help a person find it. With the duralamin case open it looks like Byakuya whipped out a pair of night vision goggles and saw someone going under the table and probably pursued since it doesn't look like he dragged under.

Looking at the photos, NotMakoto was nearest to the AC unit and the table where the murder occurred. He could have fiddled with it, but if it could be programmed then anyone really could have messed with it.

Figure we gotta wait for more clues to come up.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Hmmm that blood stained table cloth could be something the killer used to cover themselves to prevent blood from getting on them, though to get form the dinning room to the the storage room and back in the time the murder too place seems a bit much.

Also whats with those irons? Were they used to trip the breaker?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

So Peko and Nekomaru are having gastrointestinal issues, is that a coincidence so the game can have some poop jokes or does it help provide alibi's for them? Also good on Chiaki and Gundham for checking the floor stabbing theory, if Naegi was lying then there is a way to sneak under and shank someone, but if not that one theory disposed off.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Buried alive posted:

I have to agree. Especially with that whole exchange in the storage room. "Whoa! A blood splattered tablecloth. Think it's related to the murder?" "Lol no, let's go somewhere else! Right now!"

i'm still operating under the assumption that Nagito is one giant red herring since in the first Danganronpa your tutorial buddy ended up being a key part of the first murder I'm thinking they're trying to make you suspicious off the bat only for him to be in the clear.

Also if its okay with FPzero, when the trial is getting ready to start I'll make a spread sheet for those who want to try an guess whodunnit before we begin the round-table.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Considering it looks like Fat Togomi had the googles I wonder if this helps eliminate anyone who was in the room of being the killer since it would have been pitch black. That leaves Peko, Chiaki, Fuyuhiko, Steve (though according to Ibuki he came back in), and Monomi. Unless the lights dimmed and he saw something and it was the attacker who had the goggles but he managed to rip them off. It sounds like only one pair of goggles is in play though based on the super market visit.

Looking back at the map of the area the rest room is fairly close to the dinning hall and according to the past:

the past posted:

Someone's been using the bathroom since before the party even started?

That's what it looks like... No matter how many times I check, it never seems to be open...

The bathroom was locked for a long period of time so if someone was using it to sneak it would have had to have been someone gone for long periods of time.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

I've added a cell for submitting killer guesses! don't worry I protected the cells for the deadpool so they can only be edited by me and me alone. All other editing tools are safely locked in this steel case at my feet!

And I have to say hats off to the creators of this game, I still have no clue who murdered Togomi, there are a few possible suspects but no obvious smoking guns like in the first game so well done.

I'm leaning towards Peko, she's really the only one without an alibi and given the nature of how quickly the murder went down, the ultimate sword mistress seems likely. That and her weird pain after the murder, I think it was making it seem like gastrointestinal issues, but what if our blessed fat boy got a could good hits on her and she's concealing it?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

I just thought of something in relating to the skewing someone through the floor theory, if you got someone, gravity would cause blood to fall down on you...Unless you covered yourself in some kind of cloth or tarp to prevent the flood from dribbling down on you, which is what was so conveniently found in the storage room.

The one really confusing thing about this all is what is the time line from the lights going out to when they came back on? Was it just a couple seconds or a few minutes?

To add to my Peko did it theory, she left early to guard the case and didn't reappear until Byakuya's bod was discovered. This leavers her MIA for a fairly long amount of time, enough to come up from a floor, ditch the cloths and get back to the group. Plus to accurately shish kabobed in the dark like that would require some deft skills with a blade. especially since according to the Monokuma File "The victim was repeatedly stabbed over ten times between the throat and abdominal region, resulting in death" To get that many blows with a skewer from below the floor would be hard unless you knew what you were doing wit hsharp objects.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Buried alive posted:

These trial segments seem a lot more chill all around than in the first game. Maybe it's that the music has been toned down a notch, but it also seems like the voice acting isn't quite as full of hysteria. Also HOLY poo poo Gundham's voice. I might have to start liking him more than Ibuki for how cheesy that is.

I noticed that too, all the voices are fairly subdued this time around, I've heard good reviews from my friends though so I figure we might see more pitch later on once the pressure ramps up.

Also

DG2 posted:

Too bad you're soooooo stupid and boring and unpopular! Your life is meaningless!

Jeez what's her problem?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Robindaybird posted:

I think they took to heart the complaint of how relatively easy it was to guess the murderer in DR1's cases which ends up making everyone else into morons

Yeah compared to Case 1 in the first game this one has me a bit stumped. Though to be fair I am one of those people who think I'm hot poo poo a mystery games, but actually sucks at them.

So far I am really enjoying how calm everyone is, before getting to the murderer, everyone is really trying to give a good guess based on what they know, hell even Steve is actually contributing useful thoughts to the debate, something I never thought would happen.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Truthkeeper posted:

But somebody clearly planted the knife under the table, with glow-in-the-dark paint on it, as if they knew there was going to be a blackout.

I'm starting to think that there are two separate murder plots running into each other here. One person intended to commit murder with the knife, but was stopped by Byakuya, who was then murdered by the person with the skewer. Except how the hell would the person with the skewer, apparently hiding underneath the floor, know that somebody would dive under that table, opening them up to being stabbed from below?

I'm thinking that person set up Byakuya.

Someone slipped him a note warning of murder in the air. Byakuya decided to try and save everyone, he prepared with his duralamin case and got supplies to help keep the hall secure. When the lights went out, he immediately grabbed the goggles to make sure no one tried anything when people were vulnerable.

What he didn't know was that he was being set up as the victim. That same person who warned him of murder tapped a knife under the table in a type of glow tape that can be easily seen with goggles, they probably folded the cloth up a bit so that Byakuya could see the knife. He'd see an obvious weapon and tr to confiscate it. He dives under, and since he's a big dude it'll be obvious he's above. The murderer begins stabbing up through the floor, covering themselves in a cloth to keep the blood off them. as someone pointed out, he wouldn't be a hard target to miss. I'm guessing our murder combined Byakuya's desire to protect people with the fact he'd be one of the easier targets to hit in an environment where it would be hard to see.

I'm prepared to rule out anyone Ibuki heard during the blackout: so Akane, Ibuki, Steve, Hajime, Mahiru, Kazuichi, Sonia, Hiyoko and Nagito. She didn't hear Mikan, but considering her state following the black out and her established clumsiness, I don't think she could have maneuvered unlikely enough to initiate a shanking.. Gundham wasn't heard either, but since seemed to have no way of knowing initially about the how to get under the hut for his earring, I think hes safe too. Same with Nekomaru, he was too worried to crap his pants too.

Chiaki and Fuyuhiko seem to have mutually confirming alibis so they seem to be unlikely to be suspects as well unless they colluded with Monomi to partner up for a murder, but that not likely.

Unless the hatch to the floor below is in the dining room, it really looks like Peko will be in a tough spot to explain herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's cool that there doesn't seem to be anyone like Yasuhiro or Toko who just add noise to the trial and are mostly dead weight when it comes to investigation.

Yeah so far everyone seems to pulling their weight in some capacity or another. Even Steve and Hiyoko have made some interesting observations this trial and in the pre-trial work we got a lot of help from the class.

• Locked thread