Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

We looked around at each other's faces... It was obvious from looking at their expressions. Everyone...was forced to admit the truth of what he just said. We had to be honest with ourselves and admit that we also had that potential.

Only a student who kills a classmate can escape this island...

Which means in order to escape this hopeless situation, we must sacrifice a person... However, there's a possibility that a killing may never occur. But... Even I'm no different... So can I be truly confident that something like that isn't gonna happen?

...No, there's no way I can know for sure. In this nightmare of a situation, I don't have the confidence to say that outright. Once you're suspicious of something, you'll start to be suspicious of everything...

Even of yourself.

Someone on tumblr (who deleted their blog, or I'd link to the source) gave a great summary of the differences between the two Dangan Ronpa protagonists.

swaggykure posted:

: I just *know* that no-one here would ever dream of killing anybody! Letís spend all the time we can together having fun and being the best of friends!

: All of you bitches are suspicious. Every single one of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

To the person that has predicted everyone will survive, I like your optimism!

Not everyone, I predicted that Teruteru would die. Also I've beaten the game, but hope springs eternal gag guesses are fun, you know?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

It's been brought up before, but I love how Byakuya has grown as a person, both literally and metaphorically.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

fractalairduct posted:

I suppose I could be misremembering this, but the scene in the hotel lobby was Mahiru trying to convince Sonia to lead again. I don't remember exactly how it played out.

WELP, I may have tried to mimic the LP script, but some issues with me not wanting to rehost every dialogue avatar led me to just provide a simple script of the scene.

Sonia: Do not tell me... You, too!?

Hajime: Huh? Me too? What are you talking about?

Sonia: Oh... Miss Mahiru has asked me to take a leadership position...

Mahiru: Well, Byakuya is being too forceful about leading us. Doesn't that raise a red flag? Please, Sonia, think about it again. Don't you think you should be the leader instead?

Sonia: I am certain I am ill-suited to be one. Furthermore, though Byakuya may be forceful, I believe he has the qualities to be an effective leader.

Mahiru: Eh? Really?

Sonia: Do you not remember what he said about being destined to stand above all others? He is truly attempting to fulfill that destiny by the strength of his own will. His impressive stature and physique is a testament to his desire to be the Ultimate Affluent Progeny, no? That...is truly grand.

Hajime: I guess...that's one way of looking at it...

Mahiru: When you put it like that, Sonia... it does sound convincing. Okay, I understand! I'm sorry for being so pushy, Sonia.

Sonia: No, it is simply... A matter of regal discretion!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Today on "What the gently caress happened to this poor girl", if you ask Mikan about her favorite type of guy, she starts to panic and blurts out, "It's Hajime! Obviously it's Hajime!"

FPzero posted:

: This situation is truly similar to "The Story of Seven Men and Women"! I believe it is a standard tactic to start wavering and swapping partners!

I think she's talking about this?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Speaking of assistant detectives, which students do you goons think are going to be our Class Trial Wingmen? Last game, Naegi had Kyoko and Byakuya to cover all our mystery solving needs, but who do you think Hajime is going to be teaming up with? Who is both competent and survivable enough to hang with The Hajj?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

The rebuttal showdown tutorial does feature my second favorite DR2 Tutorial quote, "Were you surprised by Mahiru's sudden argument? Just between you and me...I was also surprised! ...Just kidding. I'm sorry."

Speaking of rebuttal showdown tutorials, something the game never tells you is that you can increase the damage of your attacks. By cutting any direction twice, then cutting in the opposite direction, you deal a more powerful attack. So, up up down, or left left right, for example. It's handy when you're playing on mean action difficulty.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: From this point on, lines of white noise will appear to disrupt your reactions. Your Truth Bullets will disappear if they touch these lines, so think of them as obstacles in your debate. Please time your Truth Bullets just right so they won't get interrupted by the white noise. In this debate, you won't be able to shoot down the white noise. That will be explained later... Well then...good luck, and have fun!

FPzero posted:

: Good news! You are now allowed to use the silencer. You can use the silencer with the X/A button as many times as you want. When you use the silencer, you can shoot down the white noise. Also, when you shoot down the white noise, your time limit will increase a little. However, if you shoot an actual remark with your silencer instead of the white noise the time limit will decrease. So aim carefully when you're using the silencer. Well then...good luck and have fun!

So...why can't you use the silencer at first? It says it'll explain why you can't shoot white noise at first "later", but then it just...doesn't. Was this just a translation mistake?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Arcturas posted:

This part really confuses me. Why do we need to find the murder weapon? All the students but him believe it's him, so we can just vote and bam!

FPzero posted:

: Something like this shouldn't be decided by gut instinct. People's lives are at stake.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Hunt11 posted:

Is it worse then the equivalent scene in the first DR?

Oh my god it's so much worse. DR1 had towels and distance; this scene gets hair, steam, and right in your face. With Mahiru and Hiyoko. I'd expect FPzero would get some uncomfortable mod attention if they posted pictures of that scene.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I don't think I've ever been more pleased to be denied content in an LP before.

In fact, DR2, while still being a fantastic game I'm going to love until I die, is somehow also a game I'd also rather die before I 100% completed. I'm certainly never going to make the mistake of watching this scene again for the rest of my life.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Spielmeister posted:

What's worse is that this is the only bonus scene that isn't unlocked by showing an item to someone so you have no way to say no to it. It's forced on you every time you start this chapter once you have the item.

That's...kind of true? As far as I'm aware, the trigger is talking to Mahiru after everyone leaves. You still don't get a choice if you talk to her, but you can just, y'know, not talk to Mahiru to avoid the scene.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 14, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

alcharagia posted:

: I'm a pioneer! I'm an explorer! I'm a human, and I'm coming! I'm animated, I'm alive, my heart's big, it's got hot blood going through it fast! I like to fight, too! I like to eat! I like to have children! I'm HERE! I've got LIFE FORCE! This is a human! This is what we look like! This is what we act like! This is what everybody was like before us! This is what I am. I'm a throwback. I'm here. I've got the fire of human liberty! I'm setting fires everywhere, and humans are turning on everywhere!

I can't be the only one who's 100% certain that Akane's asexual, right?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

no spoilers please

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: That's right, this game is gonna be your next motive! The motive you need to kill people! After all, I'm gonna get boed if the next blackened doesn't show up soon!

May want an R in there.

Hope the next free time is the one that specifically got recommended for this point.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Now is not the time for flirting, Nagito.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

An unsorted list of things I love in this update:

- Further humiliation for Hiyoko, as she reveals she doesn't understand nutrition; it's likely her tiny stature is largely her fault
- Hiyoko and Chiaki's quick insult/retort ("...that slowpoke gamer girl over there!" "... ... ...Ah, were you talking about me?") is basically a conversation I've had before in real life; Chiaki continues to be the most relatable character
- Ibuki throwing shade at Nekomaru's grunting habits
- The quick note about how good she smells before Sonia starts talking about how much she loving loves the occult is some fun bait and switch
- Makangos and Skongs are so loving bizarre, it's great
- Melodramatic, self-absorbed Gundam is the one to notice that Mahiru is missing
- And then his reputation as self-absorbed is further shaken when Gundam tries to join Hajime and Kazuichi's hangout/murder attempt, only to obviously feel rejected and depressed when Kazuichi blows him off

Aumanor posted:

I've only noticed it now, but Kazuichi's lightning bolt imprint has a serious case of Stan's shirt going on.

What the hell's a Stan's shirt?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Aumanor posted:

Stan's a character from the Monkey Island series. His shirt has an interesting property i that the plaid pattern on it doesn't move when he does. If you look at Kaizuichi you might notice that the imprint on his jumper is affected by neither the angle at which he's seen nor any creases on the material.

Huh, you're completely right. It really is like Stan's shirt. I'd never noticed that before. Thank you for explaining your reference.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

[the barred window...] it would be exceptionally difficult to replace the bars on the inside from the outside, so that one doesn't count.

FPzero posted:

: Let's see... Hmmm... I see, I see... So that's what happened.
: ...D-Did you find anything?
: Well, since there's this iron bar... I was pretty sure no one would be able to get through the window... But check it out.
: Ch-Check it out...? Hold on...I'll give it a try...

With Akane on my shoulders, I craned my neck so high that I started to worry...

: This iron bar ain't even pinned down. Looks like you can open and close it pretty easy. See? My head can fit through, no problem.
: Then...it's not impossible to go in and out of that window?
: Yep yep...!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Discomusic posted:

Is this...a real thing that was in the real game?
It is just fanmade, right? Please tell me that it is just fanmade...

That is a real thing, that really is in the game.

gently caress you, too, Spike-Chunsoft.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

silversatyr posted:

And here I thought he was referring to the scar over his eye and having got it from an angry dog or other animal as a kid.

If I'm not mistaken, there was actually a little bit of information released by the author about Gundham's facial scar. It's not quite a spoiler, but I think I may keep it under my hat for now; it doesn't come up in the game, but it'll go pretty well with his Free Time Events. However, that information gives us an origin story for Gundham's scar, and that makes it seem more likely that Gundham's "mark of defeating the devil" was probably something left over from a disease or surgery. I always assumed an appendectomy scar.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

curiousCat posted:

I take it those scenes have locked in the free times for the day?

They haven't, actually! They really are "bonus" scenes - they don't affect your free time or anything, they're just extra things you can do.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Discomusic posted:

What if you try to go to Ibuki's room before going to Nagito's?

You can't. Hajime or Mikan (I can't remember which) will remind you that Nagito is your first priority, and you can't go anywhere but there.

LonelyMudkip posted:

Just smooch already

If you talk to Nagito again before you leave, he just repeats that he wants you gone, but he's smiling.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Sindai posted:

I somehow didn't notice until now that the chef's X is a knife and fork. Oh Monobear.

It's pretty hard to catch, but I think Peko's is actually supposed to be her bamboo sword and sword bag.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

That execution is so loving weird. The only way I could make sense of it was as a metaphor for lethal injection. She gets an orgasmic (Mikan, creeper to the last, is naked for a split-second right before the arm rocket takes off) injection that gets her so high that she simply fades away into the nothingness of space.

Rarity posted:

I always thought her beloved was Junko so she was basically Ultimate Despair by proxy

Yeah, it's gotta be. Her dead lover was someone who would have been pleased by a despair-induced murder spree, and would have been angry about Mikan dying filled with hope. Can't think of many who fit that description. And, I mean, could you imagine what the first meeting between Mikan and Junko would look like?

Tee hee, I'm so clumsy, Hiyoko broke my finger! She's such a good friend to pay attention to me like that.

Oh, wow, could I exploit you or what.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

man who the gently caress cares about monomi

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

BlazeEmblem posted:

People who won't stop playing this until they get all of this game's trophies. Like me .

anyone who gets all the trophies deserves monomi

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

curiousCat posted:

Sometimes I don't know how hard Sonia is messing with them back.

My favorite thing about Sonia saying she can't use her blood for a virgin sacrifice is that, yeah, it's probably sex, but because of her character we can actually read it another way. Sonia is an occult fan. If she found a demonic summoning ritual in her kingdom's library, and performed that ritual and offered a sacrifice of her own blood, her blood would no longer be 'virginal' since it had been sacrificed once before. That would be 100% in Sonia's character to do and say.

Also in Sonia's character: Sneaking out of the palace to have a one night stand and experience sex on her own terms.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 21, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Glazius posted:

Sonia being an occult fan has never really come up, has it?

Robindaybird posted:

It kind of comes up, her favorite gifts are spooky things, and she was getting hyped over a serial killer, and one of the few not totally freaked out at Ibuki's song. Our princess loves morbid things.

She's also admitted to her interest in cults and freemasonry in one of her free time events, and she sometimes takes Gundam's boasting of arcane might completely seriously.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Zakrelo posted:

I know Akane is supposed to be dumb but sheesh, that conversation makes her seem like she has brain damage.

A little, yeah, but to be fair to her, Fuyuhiko isn't doing the best job explaining himself clearly. He's trying to be tactful and sensitive, but without explicitly explaining that this is about Nekomaru (and Peko), Akane is lost from the start and can't follow the conversation. It kind of feels like Fuyuhiko knows how awkward and personal this is, and he's trying to rush through it, because it can only be him giving this advice, no matter how little he wants to be the one doing it, so he just talks right over Akane saying "I don't get it, explain what you're talking about" like three times.

Also, I think it'd be in Akane's character to be theoretically able to understand the conversation, but deliberately not let herself because she won't allow herself to think about the situation, and specifically about how guilty Mechamaru's new body makes her feel.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Akane is good, in fact,

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: I'm gonna beeline through the rest of Nagito's events.

Oh boy.

FPzero posted:

: You never would've met her at all if you hadn't experienced the bad luck of getting in a car accident. Isn't that right?
: ...

I don't think it's been mentioned before, but you've been knocking it outta the park when it comes to picking and using Hajime's portraits for his dialogue. This one made me laugh out loud.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

So, this was mistranslated, kind of? Someone already did an in-depth write up if you want that, but TLDR this is supposed to be an aborted confession of love.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

It might be worth suggesting people look into behavior variant frontotemporal dementia (bvFTD), which is an interesting and terrifying read. Basically, parts of the front of your brain start to atrophy or decay. There's a lot of potential symptoms, but they can include: apathy, emotional blunting, mood changes, greater struggles with impulse control, loss of inhibitions and manners, difficulty reading and understanding social situations, becoming more extroverted, saying or doing repetitive things, becoming fixed in the way they do things, and an inability to self-reflect on their actions or how they've changed. That almost sounds like somebody we know!

Stage 3 malignant lymphoma would mean that Nagito has cancer in his lymph nodes, either above and below the diaphragm or above the diaphragm and in the spleen. Less than a year to live sounds about right.

Also, I am convinced that Nagito is lying about lying. He was so shocked someone was paying attention to him that he blurted out his life story, and then his inferiority complex kicked in, and he had to ruin this for himself. Nagito's actions and personality are way, way too consistent with his stated backstory to be anything but the truth.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's something that I've been wondering about Nekomaru's Free Time Events. With Nagito you had to do one event otherwise you would be locked out of the rest. Is it a similar case with Nekomaru?

All of Nekomaru and Mechamaru's Free Time Events are interchangeable. You can do his at any time, in any order.

Also on FTEs in this chapter: If the event requires you to go somewhere else (the beach, a cabin, the stock room from the party in chapter 1) then you can't do the event. Most of Chiaki's events involve going to different places, so you usually can't do anything with her here. Fuyuhiko, on the other hand, is only this chapter available for Free Time Events; he flat out vanished in every free time before this.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 4, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Well, there is Monokuma Tai Chi. They can't conserve their energy, Monokuma is exacerbating the situation.

Also not eating for three days sucks! I was 19 the time I did it, and I had a seizure. Would not recommend.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: There's this one novel I like... It's a peculiar mystery story...
: ...Huh? A novel?

: The story is told from the point-of-view of a high school girl involved in a serial killer mystery... But when you get to the end...
: Surprise, surprise! The girl was actually the killer! Of course, the story is written carefully so the reader doesn't learn the ending in the middle of the story... The protagonist is just a projection of the reader... And this projection turns out to be the killer... Which means the killer you were looking for the whole time was inside you all along... How do you feel about novels like that?
: Wh-What the heck are you talking about...? You're just jumping from one topic to another... And...I can't comment on a book that I've never read before.

This is a reference to Danganronpa Zero, right? I'm pretty sure this is a reference to Danganronpa Zero. Uh, spoilers for Danganronpa Zero.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 27, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: Oh, I see... So whatever you like...

oh dear

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: Infinity Unlimited Flame!

As you may have guessed, the Japanese audio features Gundham shouting beautiful Engrish.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I need audio of this.

Sure thing!

Spoiler warning, though! This plays through the rest of the trial. And while this is a complete playthrough of DR2 in Japanese (and DR1 is there too), the LPer is very good at stopping to think and try and answer all the mysteries herself, and she gets it right pretty often!

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

RIP suicide pact bros

manly motherfuckers to the very end

• Locked thread