Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

That installation being the sealed-in Hope's Peak makes some sense, but there are still unanswered questions. In DR1, it was suggested that everything going on inside was being televised, which would contradict the current Monobear's lack of knowledge. My own theory is that it could be after the events of DR1, but the survivors decided to seal themselves back in since the world is run by Despair Inc. (or some similar successor organization). They may actually be controlling Monomi from inside the control chamber, but weren't able to set up a fully sealed environment on not-Jabberwock Island.

Togami theory #1: He's some relative who actually shares the name, or an impersonator that the Togami clan chose to maintain continuity rather than let it be revealed that their son was involved in the murder game.

Togami theory #2: This is the same Togami from DR1, after escaping. He decided/was chosen to stay on the outside. Getting fat was his choice in the face of an uncertain future, given that worldwide calamity might be taking place. He doesn't want to tip his hand about Monobear, since that might arouse the suspicion of the others. It could also explain the 'traitor'... Monobear says 15 students were 'brought to' the island, so maybe one of them was already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

How could they not go with 'bear-assment'?

Also on the translation, 'Girl C' is fine for the in-game dialogue, but sounds really awkward when used as a form of address. Saying "you're such a slowpoke, A" would have worked better.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Hey, at least we got a clear look at that window grill. Now it's clear that all Peko had to do was put the entirety of her weight on her shinai, pull herself up to the window which was probably just barely where her fingers could touch, and then hop right through it while also managing to lift the grate open and then the window outward.

Of course, that escape is one of the less absurd things about this case. There's more, just wait.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

One thing about Tsumiki's confession is that it provides a stronger suggestion of these events taking place after DR1. If we can surmise that her 'beloved' is someone of relative importance in Despair Inc. (and not some random person that the story kept from us for no good reason), then the guess of Junko or even Mukuro seems like a solid one. Which means this is after DR1, and importantly, after the survivors escaped.

Since it also seems likely that a group named 'Future Foundation' is more inclined towards hope, and in fact they do want to end the current DespairWorld, they are World Enders too, then it stands to reason that the survivors of DR1 are part of that group. In which case the spy/mole is actually on the side of the good guys.

Togami seems like a possible candidate, but he's apparently dead right now. Most likely next guess is Hajime, since he doesn't quite remember why he's at the school. Possibly because he never actually was a Super.

My theory is that they were set up as an experiment/demonstration against Despair. Each of them had their memories of the last couple years wiped (so they aren't aware of the Incident), and the test is to see if, in this state, their 'true' personality will reveal hope or despair.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I guess in stories like this we're generally supposed to accept that magic knockout gas exists, but is there a chance that this is further evidence for the VR theory? I mean, the hamsters survived this one; that strains credulity a bit more.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It would not surprise me at all if this Monobear is an AI construct, given the vague hint about how it came to be that Nekomaru was reborn shiny and chrome. It would also provide a logical reason for Usami and him to be 'siblings', too. So if that is the case he's probably going to be a bit less humane and just plain cruel either due to not having anything holding him back, or due to not really knowing what humans are like. Now that I think about it, there may be hints about him not actually understanding people in his prior behavior.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm not saying it makes the character any less unlikable, but I do wonder if these traits are intentional to reflect her being a potential past participant in the despair event. Possibly everyone (save the 'spy') has an awful past.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Unless Nekomaru somehow killed himself. I know that's sort of impossible given his arms are bound, limbs are ripped off and the head's detached, but he is also a robot with unknown abilities.

My money's on Souda or Akane for this one. Akane might well have ripped him apart out of anger or desire for food (or he actually allowed her to do it on the off chance he had more juice inside him). Souda would intuitively know how to take him apart, maybe reasoning he could build him into a means of escape.

I noted something interesting about the death pool sheets: Collectively, we've been pretty good at predicting deaths so far. If you look at the total death votes line, those who've died have so far been those with more votes (aside from Chiaki in the unspoiled group).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I could actually see her going in and getting the weapon so no one else could use it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Given the pillars, the wires, and the incredible force required to destroy a robot, I would not be surprised if this was some sort of rigged death-trap hooked into (a possible) room rotation device, or the elevator? Knock him out with the button, tie him up, and wait for someone to enter from the other house. This separates the 'time of death' on his clock from the killer who tied him up.

That points the finger at either Souda (rigging the device) or Gundham (hamsters hitting the switch).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Mecha_Face posted:

... An OFF reference? It's a side thing that happens in the game where the protagonist reads a comic book about a boxing superhero taking on a baseball themed supervillain, and it turns into a beat-em-up. Mind that OFF is a turn based RPG, so the sudden genre shift is bizarre and unsettling.

It seems like it could be, but then it's also vague enough to be something else. Since the comic isn't really a 'baseball' comic in OFF. I also wonder how well-known OFF was in Japan for it to gain a reference in this game.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Looks like the dead pool guesses are still doing okay: while Gundham was not the leading candidate for votes in either pool (Souda Kazuichi in the spoiled & Nanami Chiaki for the unspoiled) he was near the top (though the margin is pretty close in the unspoiled group). Which means Souda is probably next if the crowd's wisdom is to be believed; Akane is potentially gone too.

I can only hope -- those are my least favorite of those that remain. Souda's not really a bad character so much as a nothing character, but he's also a pervert, so I'm fine with him going out. Akane seems to only have two modes - dumb and angry.

I didn't really like Gundham's character at all but I do think the VA did a good job with the growing sense of defeat in this trial.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I could almost believe that he completely fabricated the encounter with Mechamaru. He couldn't stand it if he thinks of himself as destined to do battle with the greats, and then his adversary goes down like a chump far more easily than he expected. It'd have been nice if Nagito or someone had thrown in some subtle remark to hint at that.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

That's a defense of his character?

quote:

Through out his life, he probably deals with a lot of people pushing him away because of his behavior and the way he acts, although, he doesn’t change who he is anyway! ...I think it gets pretty obvious that he likes being different from everyone else, he is just really upset that other people won’t appreciate that part of him or don’t want to get to know him because of this!

Yes, that's an appropriate way to act.

quote:

Not just this, but Gundam wasn’t looking to die as a martyr, he was going to die as the role he had taken up and been his whole life. He was going to die as a villain.

So his emotional defense mechanism, this constructed character that he created for himself, led him to commit murder? Awesome.

One of the things speculated in that post is that the 'only thing I loved' was his mother, you know, the woman he said this about :

a loving son posted:

You wouldn't understand how much pain I had to endure... Plus, that woman would cry if I didn't finish my plate. What choice did I have but to suffer in silence...?

Even if you want to wander into deep speculation (his real mother died, and this is his foster mother or something) it's still a pretty crappy way to treat someone who's caring for you. Not developing any emotional maturity by the time he's in high school doesn't strike me as particularly commendable, no matter how much sympathy his purported childhood might generate.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It isn't what he did to his mother at the time, it's the fact that he goes around referring to her food as 'poison' and then whining about how incredibly painful it was that he couldn't be an rear end in a top hat to her face.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

FPzero posted:

: I-In my country...we use the expression, "Beatrice's nest"!

YAMI WO KIRISAKU OH DESPAIR

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I've a strong suspicion that it'll turn out Nagito was definitely killed when all of them were together. Probably by whoever's in control of Monobear (or some hidden person). The resulting trial will then be a sham as he insists they choose a culprit, despite them all knowing it can't be one of them - and that whoever they pick, they all die.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

eating only apples posted:

My theories always suck but here's one: Chiaki's dad and older brother coming up out of nowhere. Chiaki's "not able" to do a lot of things. Sapient robots totally exist, or this might be in a simulation or something? She's talking about Chihiro and Alter Ego. I mean, she has the same kind of ribbon bow thing that Chihiro had. She's an AI.

Watertight.

Yeah, if this isn't VR I think she's probably a construct/android. Or maybe a [VLR spoiler] GAULEM cause she's incapable of betraying.

Bifauxnen posted:

With even the characters in-game pointing how how each chapter has some vague similarities to its DR1 counterpart, this one fully matches DR1's chapter 5 in making you go "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON". And the other similarities to DR1's Chapter 5 help to toy with your emotions even further. In DR1 it looked like Naegi might lose Kirigiri, who was his main partner and support by then. Here, you probably can't help but wonder if something similar will happen again with Chiaki... there'll be some way to save her, an Alter Ego moment where the execution is stopped. ...but then, no.

The problem for me is that this isn't really having any emotional impact. We've been waiting all along for the game to get to this point, so the mere fact of things going crazy is not any sort of surprise the second time around. This is also happening on top of the implication that Chiaki is, in fact, capable of returning more-or-less intact if she is an artificial entity (not in the form of Mechamaru, but in the way Monobear/Monomi[?] have replacements). I'm personally less invested in these characters in general because they remain completely clueless as to what's going on and the most likable characters keep getting killed off.

* In the story, that's sensible, but it's unsatisfying as the narrative of sequel.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrC_Pij5gc
Vote for knocking it all down but graduate first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So if this is true, does that mean when Hajime exits the program he'll be in the old guy's body?

That'd be quite a shock, to suddenly wake up 45 or so years older.

• Locked thread