Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have followed orenronen's LP, but I've not played this game myself.

Can anyone remind me in what chapter that original LP stopped? Just so I know when I can start expecting content I don't know about yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I personally say, don't worry about it. I'm here to enjoy the LP and the game. I don't feel any need to participate in a contest. Of course if you were gonna buy someone an avatar, feel free to put that money in the SA donation jar anyway.

E: Thread, if this makes you think I'm horribly boring, that's okay.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing long nose doesn't mean Pinocchio/lying in Japan?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

oath2order posted:

None of this explains why he suddenly brought up Avril Levigne though.

Because he's still Steve.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, anyone who played the Japanese version, did something get lost in translation in Sonia's talk?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking - how exact is the littering rule? Why is leaving the metal bat and the mask behind not considered littering?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently our protagonist has gotten to the point where he trusts Fuyuhiko's word on what the radio conversation was about? That's crazy, I think Hajime might be getting sick as well.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can we do some meta-analysis on the game?

Just before the start of trial screen, the game showed those three screens with photos of all the students on it. In one of those screens, there is only one single red colored photo, only one dead person. That makes the colors look terribly imbalanced.

So from a purely aesthetics point of view, I'm going to guess someone from that screen is the culprit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

...Could Nekomaru be actually in control of Monokuma? Either working together with the mastermind, (assuming there still is one after the first game), or somehow have taken over the control room?

What is going on here?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

timp posted:

lol that logic dive minigame is so ridiculous.

FPZero I feel bad that you put so much work into the screenshots and dialogue for these Trial updates - Personally I'm just watching the videos! Hopefully they're useful to some who don't want to watch moving pictures for whatever reason. Either way I kind of enjoy having this all split up. Obviously I could just go watch a YouTube LP at any time, but damnit I started on this series in the form of an SA LP and damnit I might as well finish it that way!

I watch the videos, then scroll through the update looking for any red question marks, to see FPZero's view on things.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

timp posted:

Yup, no doubt about the fake music venue stunt. I forgot to mention this in my outline before but obviously the killer grabbed the surveillance unit and took it to the music venue to smash on the ground. But everything else was a duplicate I think, which we're tipped off to by the tote bag. Anyone who watched the movie had access to multiple tote bags. Why include that detail unless the killer used multiple tote bags in the murder? One on his or herself in the fake music venue, and one on Ibuki in the actual crime scene.

THAT'S WRONG

In fact, only the first person to watch the movie got 2 bags. Nobody else got any bags.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

You know, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've been trying to interpret this execution for a long time now since it seemed so out there compared to the rest we've seen in both games. It's probably because other than the needle arm rocket, there's not much tying the execution into her character or what we've just learned about her. Everyone else was like that: Leon was killed by baseballs, Mondo while on a bike, Celeste was burned at the stake (and smashed), Alter Ego was crushed, Teruteru was battered and fried, Peko was killed in a swordfight--Mikan was...sent into space on a needle rocket? But if it's a metaphor for what's happening to her (or hell, even if it's a literal interpretation of a metaphor happening to her) I can finally make that connection I've been missing.

Who knows if that's what's actually happening to her. But it's a lot more satisfying an answer than "she randomly goes to space".

I wonder if there's some Japanese pun hidden in the execution?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Would it be out of Monokuma's character to hide the mess in the conference room to make the trial more interesting? Or for Monomi to go "Awwwwww those silly kids left suuuuuuuch a mess here I'm gonna clean that riiiight up".

(Yes it would be, but because in a very indirect way, Monokuma represents the game story writers who want to keep the story flowing, this would be a semi-accurate in-game description of the rewrite.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have the exact same reaction on roller coasters that Souda does.

Yeah, I'd never suspected there'd be any part of this game where I could relate this well to him.

And honestly, it's not even about roller coasters being scary. It's the fact that the feeling of your guts being pulled every which way by constantly shifting G-forces is the most uncomfortable feeling ever and I literally don't understand how anyone could enjoy that. Like, do you enjoy awful hangovers too? Because that's kinda the same.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I have to question why something like this even exists.

It's an art project. There's no point questioning art, it usually doesn't answer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I just hope for them that they get some food before the investigation - this is no state for anyone to do an investigation in, much less a trial.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What the hell happened to the chain?

I can only think that somehow there are fake doors and the room does not in fact rotate 180 degrees but moves in another way to reveal and open the real door.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Say, where the hell are we? Have we seen a forest this big anywhere on the islands we visited so far?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I'm glad that Kazuichi creeping on Sonia has some actual consequences, and we find out that Sonia actually hates his guts. And the "what does this mean?" bit with Gundham is fun to hear.

Chiaki's idea about Kazuichi not being the killer because he fixed the contact elevator has a hole in it, since Kazuichi could still do it but take ages to finish it so that he can deflect suspicion while still delay the other boys from helping with the investigation. Nagito giving him the multi-tool to speed up the repairs probably messed up with that plan.

...And was it me, or was that gently caress joke an SA reference?

It wouldn't surprise me at all. Orenronen's translation Let's Play of the first game is what made it gain popularity in the west, and the reason a localization was actually made. The localization team probably is aware of the fact that an SA LP got them this job, and they put in a subtle reference to acknowledge that.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Yep, pretty much as I figured in my latest theory. Coming up next: Mechamaru made himself fall by moving and loosening the wire when he was woken up by his internal alarm.

If that is the case, who will be held responsible? Hell, even if the person who tied him up and the person who pressed the door button to move the floor down were different people, who is the murderer? We know Monokuma can get real technical if it suits him.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I do not, in fact, believe the hamsters are dark gods of destruction.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh wow. Ghundam talking about priiiiiiide in a voice that would make Scar proud, then being killed in a stampede where the music starts with what is undoubtedly a reference to The lion sleeps tonight.

That was actually... strangely appropriate. And I'm a bit surprised that I am the first to bring this up.

Edit: I mean, look at Mussafah and Ghundam. On the one hand we have a being that looks dangerous, roars a lot, but when point comes to shove, he's a very kind-hearted protector of all animals under his watch. And on the other... well you get the point.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 30, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Guys, guys, we have nothing to worry about. If Monokuma wants to execute the wrong person, Monomi will shout at him. It'll all be fine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Please refrain from turning this discussion about poison toxic.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder - if we choose anyone but Chiaki here, for instance Nagito or Hajime, do we get some special scene like the 'bad ending' in DR1? Because no matter what, the result of this trial depends on a weird Monokuma interpretation of the rules. FPZero, can you check for us?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

: To post or not to post...that is the question. But which will cause more despair? That's the REAL question...
: If you think about it, you'd know, right? There's no way I'd post yet!

FPzero posted:

: To wait or not to wait...that is the question. But which will cause more despair? That's the REAL question...
: If you think about it, you'd know, right? There's no way I'd wait!
Dammit FPzero!

On another note, am I the only one who gets annoyed by the fact that the bit between the trial and the punishment is never completely voice-acted? It feels like such a sudden change every time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The main cast, eh? Are we talking DR1 alumni or some other people entirely?

It's the top posters in this thread.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

We never did get around to mentioning the content of Dangan Ronpa Zero in one of these threads, did we?

In Orenronen's partially finished LP of DR2, he occassionally posted a chapter of DR Zero between updates. But he never got to posting the full thing.

But to quote this LP's OP:

quote:

-You are allowed to talk about spoilers from this game with spoiler bars only.
-You are allowed to talk about spoilers from the first game without spoiler bars.
-You are not allowed talk about spoilers for the rest of the series. This includes the novels, the sequel Ultra Despair Girls, the Danganronpa 3 anime, and everything related to New Danganronpa v3 especially once it releases.
So we cannot go into detail about DR Zero as per the thread rules. I'll just wait what FPZero (and this game) have to say about it, then.

Edit: Well, looks like I'm about 3 posts late.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay so if I understood Naegi's hair spike there correctly, we have three options in the final trial. Graduate and Repeat are both failures, but the third, hidden option of Forced Shutdown will win us the game. Now it's up to Hajime to convince everyone that 1. There IS a third option and 2. to choose it. Monokuma's not gonna like that, I bet.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

There were a bunch of these hex texts in that debate. Has anyone added them up and checked if they can be converted to some sensible text, either in ASCII or in a Japanese encoding?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I'm gonna guess the Naegi they're talking with right now isn't the real one, but a plant that the virus brought in to sow more despair. Why else would monokuma be so cool with him showing up? Plus there's the whole thing with naegi having to go through alter ego before.

Because Naegi can convince them to stay and that seems to be what Monokuma-virus wants.

quote:

Also as it stands right now they're basically locked into abstaining forever, right? There's only 5 remaining students, and they need more than 50% of the original 15 to vote to graduate. I think monokuma stacked the deck with fake students (the "main cast" modelled off of the characters from the original game) who will show up, rant at them in order to make them despair then force them into a decision they don't want to make.

THAT'S WRONG!!! Have my truth bullet:

quote:

: Compared to the other trials, the rules are much simpler this time. There are two options: Graduate and Repeat, right? You just have to choose one of them, and press it. All of you will cast your vote, and whichever one has the majority will be considered your final decision! If you don't press either of them, it will be treated as an absence and will not be counted.
: Which means, everyone who has died up till now will have their votes treated as absences!

: Then...the result is based on our majority vote.
: Ahem! If Graduate is chosen by a majority vote... From there, an event that's kinda like a graduation ceremony called the Graduation Program will begin...
: Argh! Even if we do this stupid majority vote, the result is already pretty drat obvious! C'mon let's move this along! We can press it now, right!?

The dead people are treated as absences and not counted. So, there only needs to be a majority among the living. They could vote right now, like Kazuichi said. The real problem is what Monokuma says just after: he still has the final say. The only way out is Naegi's third option, which Monokuma doesn't know about, because Naegi hijacked Alter Ego's connection.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

So if they don't chose to graduate, do all their 'dead' friends come back to life?

They never say so, so I'm gonna guess no? It was implied earlier that their brain has been emptied out.

Anyway, if you choose "Get out" at that prompt in the last update, I suppose you just lose some points and it gets back on track?

E: Wait a second, I just thought of something. Let's add up our evidence that the folks in the Neo World Program are the Remnants of Despair:

- Hajime's memory of Nagito with the hand. Very strange but circumstantial at best. If you use it as evidence at all, it certainly doesn't prove all of them are involved.
- The file Nagito got that caused him to try and kill everyone. Given to him by Monokuma, who is hiding something.
- Monokuma's account, which, as I just said, isn't trustworthy.
- Makoto's account. But this Makoto seems to be fake, and isn't trustworthy.

What we do know from the Alter Ego scene is that the actual Future Foundation wants to help everyone escape from the future.

So, all the evidence we have that Hajime et al. are Remnants of Despair is untrustworthy, except for Hajime's memory, which is circumstantial.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 27, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

Near the beginning the video bugs out and freezes for a minute or so. EDIT: probably me and not the video

Graduate because I like seeing the bad endings first!

I can forgive them for just bringing Junko back because she's impossible to top.

I agree with this. Bad endings first!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

D'you think Junko would upload herself into the hamsters?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The weird way they keep going back and forth about the word 'chumps' makes me feel a weird translation choice was made there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Um.

Folks.

There's already three training regiments on the island now. And a regiment is like 1000 soldiers.

Maybe... we should try to break out of this loop before the island gets too crowded?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I know this isn't over yet but thanks for the LP anyway, FPZero. It was quite the ride!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rarity posted:

FPZero, do what feels most manageable for you. This is a hell of a project and you've put a ton of effort into it. It's better that you get the content out in a way that works for you rather than burn out completely.

This. I'm perfectly fine with the next parts just being a video, if that makes life easier for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the great LP, it was a fun ride!

• Locked thread