Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

quote:

: "Does that mean you have a rebuttal?" ...Hmph, that's a good line.

I love the way he gets caught off guard and drops character here. Especially since the question is so innocent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Mikan's an awful liar. Her plan was very clever, but it didn't involve talking to people. Her poker face is terrible. But she did very smoothly push discussion towards finding someone without an alibi, and oh look, guess who Hajime just proved has an alibi.

Still a better bluffer than the ultimate gambler if it does wind up being her.

Talow posted:

Hmm... I'm not the only one who feels like Nagito is being strangely helpful now, right?

Eh, he could be playing the group, but he seemed pissed during the investigation about how/why the murderer done it. I think the twist is that hes on the level here.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Someone's gonna hang.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if they positioned her there explicitly for that connection.
Does it show up like that in earlier trials?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We know there was something to Nagito's babbling about twin ibuki's now. Was it him witnessing the fake hanging? Or some kind of rehearsal if it wasn't recorded? I think that was one of the first things he said after waking up.

Still holding out that the crazy togami theory has some truth to it too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Oh, Nagito :allears: He's just so fascinating in his annoyance, it's great.

But as usual, it's not without purpose. Can you find out what he means?

Id go with his statements being the literal truth.

"The killer strangled her with the rope"
"And then?"
"I stopped talking"

The post recovery talk with Nagito was the only time he spoke between when we last saw ibuki and her body was found. He could be telling the time of death.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So anybody got any ideas for why Nagito is so adamant on stopping the killer this time? Is he just pissed he was incapacitated during the murders?Or maybe he thought he would have been killed had hiyoko not wandered in and triggered the 2 kill limit.

If I had to guess, it's because her motive is despair at the way she's treated and he can't twist it to be about hope in any way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I... did not see that ending coming.

So it looks like people having hidden parts of their personalities is a theme so far.

Mikan: hid her frustration and love of misery
Peko: hid her infatuation bordering on insanity
Nagito: hid being a psycho obsessed with hope
Fuyuhiko: hid his caring for those around him, and in a surprise twist seems to have grown and bettered himself since it got revealed, unlike literallly everyone else so far
Hajime: Hid his past and his talent so well even her doesn't have a clue who he is

That's a pretty nonsignificant portion of the class that have been hiding significant parts of their personality.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Same. I had to look up what the answer was, because I kept getting it wrong.

At least now I understand why this is the answer. Only someone who was used to camera angles would have considered the camera angle to be important, and with our Ultimate Photographer dead, no one else would have thought of it off the top of their heads.

The only other reason someone would have thought that it was significant would be the killer, making sure that the angle was in the right position to only show what they wanted it to show. Since no one else had considered the camera angle previously, her bringing it up meant that the angle was significant to her.

Its less that she thought it was significant and more that she mentioned it at all. Like Hijame said, he NEVER mentioned the camera angle, and the only people who saw the fake hanging to be aware of what the angle was at all were Hajime(Who saw it on tape) and the killer(who broadcast it).

Ergo, by bringing it up at all Mikan was using knowledge only the killer would possess and therefore is the killer.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Monokuma I feel the drill beard was perhaps a bit unnecessary.

The Mecha pecs on the other hand were extremely necessary.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like how the group is angrier towards monomi, who at least wants them to be happy, and not monobear, who is actively working towards their deaths.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Totally a trap. There's so many ways to weasel around the promise of "ship parts" without remotely giving anything useful.

Here you go guys! 2 monokuma themed portholes!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

What's your problem with Akane specifically? That she's stupid? Don't mean to sound rude, I'm genuinely curious as to what your reasoning here is.

She's also stupid in a way that's kind of dull. Hiro was a funny idiot savant, swimmer chick felt like a nice person trapped in with a bunch of crazies, kaz is a pubescent boy stupid.

Akane just feels stupid and aggressive for no reason. She's just feels there to me in a way the other dumb people in need of correction didnt to me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

There's also the Memory Erasure thing too. Considering how much Mikan changed when she remembered who she was it's very possible no one remembers they're the traitor.

It's also possible that the traitor is the incredibly obvious Monomi (looks like Monobear, isn't helpful except for clearing the guardian beasts coincidentally after a murder happens, brought everyone here in the first place and wiped their memories apparently etc. etc.)

It's also also possible that there is no traitor or Monobear is stretching the definition in a way that misleads everyone.

I mean I thought the obvious lie in monokumas initial statement was that the "traitor" was working against the group's interests. Given the way the game started with our kidnapper trying to isolate the group and give them happy lives, it seems like the traitor is someone actively opposed to the murder game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Chiaki realized she's in a game and hajime is the protagonist. She correctly evaluated that the rubble isnt important until hajime realizes it is, just like the clock.

Or it was just a sarcastic comment, but I like my version better.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sudden protagonist shift ho!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Nagito is passively trolling people.

I really enjoyed this part.

And it shows you that Nagito is very perceptive. So is Chiaki.

I mean, there's a reason everyone is doing him favors even though he's unstable and potentially batting for the other team.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My opinions on that theory should be visible in the unspoiled killer guesses.

Gundham is going to be so sad after those little murderers get the punishment.:(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Well, I'm gonna guess from the "one of you" comment that there are multiple spies/people who shouldn't be here present.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I just realized that the ultimate weapon is KNOWLEDGE.

Such a classic that even an insane mass murdering stuffed animal cant avoid using it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Leylite posted:

A very impressive game of Russian Roulette... but 5/6 bullets is only the second-highest difficulty. There's the secret ultimate highest difficulty, 6/6 bullets, where you have to be lucky enough for the gun to jam.

I was honestly expecting that and was surprised when he took a bullet out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm curious how much hes going to tell us. There is a reason the devs omitted it from nagito protagonist thoughts, its just a question of when they decided to drop it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wow, Nagito just turned the rear end in a top hat up to 11

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, they're saying only the killer and Nagito went into the final dead room therefore knowing what's inside makes her the killer.

But monokuma told everyone the weapon was inside so it was a moot point.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 21, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Thanks for the edit. This layout makes more sense seeing it like this. My only question is, are there elevators that can actually move around the building like this? I don't want to dismiss the possibility out of hand, but it sounds... well, almost as stupid as Peko using her sword as a springboard on a wet bathroom floor.

I mean! It is a funnhouse designed to be weird, disorienting, and duplicitous. Plenty of them parks have rides where a car is powered along a rising curve, just make that car an "elevator". People look at it and see one thing while it is another, the idea fits a funhouse pretty well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

What if its a suicide, by murder? The killer wants to be caught an executed to escape this rat trap.:tinfoil:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Also, that was a dumb, joke, tinfoil hat theory. An actual suicide by murder would involve the perpetrator sitting there next to the body saying they done it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Still not buying that the traitor is necessarily hostile. They're allegedly with monomi who has good intentions even if her methods are wrong and her incompetence boundless.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Podima posted:

UGH this cliffhanger!

:downsrim:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Gundham, your attempts at deception have already been undone by Nagito and his compass! You can protect the Dark Devas of Destruction from the forces of light no longer!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Glazius posted:

The... the door handle broke, man. It's not rocket surgery.

...now there's an uncomfortable brainwave. I know it's kind of a stereotype that the guy who works with machines gives them all personalities and treats them like people, but, I mean, maybe the guy who works with machines knows better than anyone that machines are made to serve man and a machine breaking is different from and preferable to a person dying

I dunno, he kind of has a valid point for once. Even though the release mechanism was the doorknob the killer needed to either remotely detach it or have knowledge of how long it would hold out. If it gave out too early the fall would be survivable and nekomaru would wake up knowing who tried to kill him, so the killer needed some way to ensure it broke after the lift finished slowly descending.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Narsham posted:

It was established how tough the door handle was when Mechamaru tried to move it--that probably gave the killer the idea but it also provided a key piece of evidence in the case. I'm liking the design of this mystery, even if the students seem to be behaving particularly stupidly (What room goes up and down? How can multiple clocks be wrong?).

The only people that saw Mechamaru loosen the handle were Hajime and Mechamaru himself. The killer had no reason to know the door knob was weakened, and they had to have found out how strong they were at some other point either on a different handle or prior to Mechamaru's attempt.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Everyone heard him die at 5:30 so the clocks are two hours behind.

Unless some other thing made the loud thud :tinfoil:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

We would've gotten there faster if Nagito had just explained the layout to us instead of thinking time.

Eh, the delay here has more to do with the kids all being dumb and forgetting the soundproofing. The thread spotted gundham responding to an alarm he shouldnt have heard before we even got to trial.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zoe posted:

Don't worry, he is going to. I have a feeling the explanation is going to make me rage a little though as it will no doubt involve hamsters drawing accurate blueprints of the building for him.

I don't know why this is so hard to accept when we already have an evil teddy bear and a robot man and all the other weird poo poo, but it just is. I have owned hamsters. They are stupid.

But these are no mere hamsters! They are the Dark Divas of Destruction(tm)!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My favorite part is that they're jabs at the other ultimate for letting hajime outperform them as much as they are digs at him personally.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Poor Gundham, so melodramatic, and yet upstaged in his big dramatic moment by somebody that's tired of this poo poo and just wants to be the protagonist so it's over.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cyouni posted:

I like how Gundham appears to be bringing up an objection because you didn't give the 4 Dark Devas of Destruction enough credit.

And also that he practically admitted to the murder when he got upset that nagito claimed he didn't fight.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, that was new. I get being killed by animals for irony, but normally the deaths have been depressing jabs at the killers while Gundham looks at peace with all of this and gets an inspiring angel treatment. It feels....

off.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The execution designers for DR1 and DR2 were different. Which does explain the toning down of how gruesome DR2's are; Chapter 3 and 4 had visibly less squicky ones.

Now to be fair, Celes' execution in DR1 didn't have blood or anything either, but you could at least get the sense of some suffering.

Honestly, the most gruesome execution was the very first. None of the others have really topped the poor kid thrown into a life and death situation getting dragged off to his death screaming while his classmates look on horrified.

Probably for the better really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Qrr posted:

Hmm, that covers half the survivors of DR1. Then we add the main character and the female lead. That still leaves Asahina, though. I guess that rule can't cover everyone.

She definitely fit the "Biggest idiots" category with Hiro

Glazius posted:

...yes, the traitor's putting you through all this. The traitor just locked you in an enclosed space with no food and waited for you to kill each other.

...Monobear being the traitor all along would be the Ultimate lovely Twist.

Honestly at this point if they play the twist straight where the traitor is actually on the students side and trying to protect them from the disaster I'm going to be kind of disappointed. Because it's really freaking obvious there's a big, immediate, non traitor problem that needs dealt with instead/first that no one has attempted any grounds at solving.

Seriously, by this point in DR1 the cast had put lots of hunting into finding out who had them and why and was trying to establish a way out of their grasp.
Meanwhile here the group is just anemically wandering from killzone to killzone simply accepting that monokuma is there and doing nothing about the fact that he's forcing them to off each other.

• Locked thread