Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Hopefully with the game being available on Stream, there won't be so many insane theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Apparently NISA changed his name from Gundam to Gundham to get around trademarks, but they made sure it was still pronounced the same as Gundam. Also, he is a gigantic ham, so it works.

As for his last name, Tanaka is a common name, like Smith.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

We've seen my favorite character, but I'm not saying who it is to avoid spoilers.

Of course, now everyone who has played the game knows exactly who I am referring to.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Qrr posted:

Something I've pretty consistently been confused by: are these people entering or leaving high school? It certainly seems like Hopes Peak academy is more of a college, but he talks about how surprising it is that Hiyoko is a high school student when she wouldn't be anymore.

Hope's Peak is a High School, but only for the last two years of High School. Everyone who gets accepted has to be enrolled in a HIgh School before this. It is not a College.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Good luck to the people guessing. It will be fun to see what people guess just from initial impressions.

Although, you should put in a cutoff. It should be early enough that the game hasn't hinted who will be the first to die, so maybe after the first round of free time is done?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

FPzero posted:

The best I could think of is a separate betting pool for those people who read the first LP and haven't seen anything past what orenronen got to (which I think was Chapter 3 but I don't know if it was Daily or Deadly life).

Orenronen's final update was just before the third trial started. As in, the next update would have been the first trial update.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

Basically the translation was rushed to get it out faster, though I forget exactly why.

The game that we got was based on the Vita release in Japan, which contained both games. They separated the two for the NA release because they didn't want to put in the effort of translating two games if people wouldn't buy them. However, pre-order sales alone of the first game convinced them to start working on the second game. I don't know why they rushed the second game's translation, but it might have something to do with that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Also, a word of warning those who are going to take a look at the DR3 anime once this is done

You are supposed to watch them in the order of their air date, as they set up things in one show that are covered by the other show.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

dancingbears posted:

Speaking of rebuttal showdown tutorials, something the game never tells you is that you can increase the damage of your attacks. By cutting any direction twice, then cutting in the opposite direction, you deal a more powerful attack. So, up up down, or left left right, for example. It's handy when you're playing on mean action difficulty.

...what.

I never knew that. How are you supposed to figure that out when you usually only have enough blades to hit everything with no mistakes?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

PopeCrunch posted:

So I was just going to the kitchen for some water, when I noticed one of my cat's toys, a glow in the dark mouse, and noticed that I could see where the coffee table leg was because when the toy was behind the leg, I couldn't see it.

Avoid any cracks in your floor. Also, I think your cat wants to kill you. Although, I think that is the same for all cats.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

So, uh... Paris Hilton?

He just randomly yells out western celebrities when he is stressed. It's just a character quirk.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

FPzero posted:

: This is actually the trigger for another bonus scene if you have the proper present. I'll come back to it eventually.

Please don't.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

I think the thing to do here would be to all play the game together. That way no one is going to have more information than anyone else, and people know what to be on the lookout for.

Well that makes sense, there are two problems with that plan
1. Something that might seem like nothing to one person might mean something important to another
2. There are 14 of them there. How are they all going to see the screen at once ?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tombot posted:

2. Whoever had been drinking those drinks must be severely dehydrated by now, seeing how little water there would be compared to the assumed sugar content. but why would anyone do that in the first place?

I assumed that the clear drinks were just water, but even so, all they have to do is stop someplace with water (the diner is right there, they could just grab a cup of water there) while everyone else is separated looking for clues.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... looking at the game from start to finish, it seems to me that this game only really would work as a motive for a very small number of students. That is different from the usual, but I think I know the reason behind this.

Yeah, this is one of the most personalized motives. The only one that would be more specific would be the 4th case of the first game, where the motive was "Sakura is the mole, and I want her to kill someone".

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I disagree with that. The motive was "Sakura is a traitor. I've told her to kill someone. Aren't you afraid? Will no one rid the school of this troublesome traitor"? It wasn't only a motive for Sakura, it was a motive for others to try to kill Sakura.

I agree. Apparently I wasn't clear that the motive was for everyone else.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Double Punctuation posted:

Yeah, and that's about all I knew. I don't think it would have had any bearing on the case, but I have a feeling we're going to be doing some arithmetic to solve this mystery. It's gone now, though, so I won't bring it up again.

Basically, the number of people in the sub-game is bothering me. There was one person who was definitely murdered, and another one looked like she bit it. If this really happened, then they can't be here now, and we know the school only accepts 16 students per class. Yeah, they could have been in the other class (there are only 2 classes of 16 students at Hope's Peak), but something just seems off about that explanation to me.

Remember that Monokuma claimed that only 15 students were supposed to be there, so one of these 16 is a "traitor".

This may or may not have anything to do with the dead people in the game.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah. You would THINK that the Ultimate Gamer would be the first person tempted to play and beat the Shiny New Videogame.

Just because she is the ultimate gamer, doesn't mean that she is the only gamer.

Besides, she would likely still be sleeping while he played the game.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

FPzero posted:

This update was supposed to be part of the previous one but it just got way too long. So have it today instead of waiting.

Speaking of waiting though, the Nintendo Switch and Zelda come out today and while I've been waiting for mine to arrive in the mail I've been editing the Trial footage. However, I don't have any of the Trial updates written yet. I hope to take some breaks from playing Zelda to work on them over my Spring Break next week but I'd guess it'll probably be a few days before the Trial gets underway.

Hope you all have a good weekend, and to those of you who bought Zelda I hope you have fun!

Take all the time you need. LoZ games trump LPs.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Zoe posted:

And while the wetsuit is hard to explain, wouldn't putting it on count as changing?

The argument for Sonia being the killer isn't that she changed into the wetsuit to hide the blood, it's that she was wearing it all along and washed the blood off with it still on.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

The game doesn't really make it clear where the gravel came from, but it is likely from the fish tank that was broken in the struggle. That's likely why she used it - it would have been right next to her when she was looking around for a way to kill Fuyuhiko's sister.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Yes, you need to jump during logic dives in later trials. Some of them can get pretty brutal.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Knowing this was coming, I laughed every time someone said that Peko was the sane one.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I not to sure about Peko washing herself before waiting for Hiyoko to show up. Wouldn't she have been dry by the time she got to the dinner? It was about half an hour between when she killed Mahiru and when she arrived.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

That's not right. Hiyoko arrived half an hour before Mahiru. Peko would have had to wash the blood off before hiding in the surfboard case though, because anyone finding blood in there would have thought it strange indeed. Peko would also have lost some more of the water on her body to the wall as she climbed through the window.

Mahiru arrived at 2:30, but Peko arrived at the dinner close to the meeting time, which was at 3:00. Other than that , the rest of your post makes sense.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

Nope, we got as far as the start of Trial 3 - or close to it.

We never had an update with the Trial, but the next update, if it had continued, would have been the first trial update.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I assume that if Fuyuhiko had killed Mahiru, he would have left from the door, as only Peko would have been able to get through the window. Apparently his half-baked plan (since he wasn't fully committed to killing her when they met) was only to keep Hiyoko out of the way from his meeting with Mahiru, and Peko was the one who thought of framing her by moving the body

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Also, is Akane supposed to be a gymnast? With how much she likes fighting you'd think she'd be in some kind of Martial art.

She is a naturally talented gymnast, not a naturally talented fighter. She just likes fighting instead of doing what she is talented at.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

serefin99 posted:

Excuse me but am I seeing that correctly? Is that building named Titty Typhoon?!

Yes. I think it was mentioned in Orenronen's LP that it was a reference to something.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 22, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

It's a reference to Titty Twister from Dusk Until Dawn

Okay, lets type Dusk Until Dawn into Wikipedia because I don't know what that is...

Wikipedia: Did you mean: duck until dawn

Er, no.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

It's a Tarantino film, so it's going to be very bloody, fair warning.

I've only seen two of his films, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained, and his works are not for me. I'm not a fan of Killfests.

This game excluded, of course.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Ah, yes, "it".

At least it reveals that Nekomaru has two Ultimate skills, being both the Ultimate Team Manager and Ultimate Masseuse. Two Ultimate skills is pretty rare.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Zoe posted:

Sonia is my favorite character at this point aside from Chiaki, so I really didn't like that 'since she's still alive' line on the last page and hope the hurry to max her friendship out wasn't in advance of anything.

I don't know why you're so worried. Clearly we are just a few updates away from the end of the game and everyone is going to survive from here on out .

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Graylien posted:

'cut his stomach' come on translation team, we're playing anime games, we know what seppuku is.

He was injuring himself as a form of penance, not trying to kill himself.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

I was amused whenever somebody was worried that a murder was going to happen, since the motive hadn't been shown yet. The only time so far that a killing had happened without a motive being given first was chapter 5 of the last game, and in that, Mukuro was already dead.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Glazius posted:

I can't decide whether it's more likely someone inside or outside the hospital will die.

...does the surveillance camera count as discovering a body or do you have to be there in person? Because I can totally see someone broadcasting to a bunch of people and then turning off the broadcast before the viewers work out where the body actually is.

In the last case, Monokuma said that the body discovery announcement was flexible, so I assume that the answer is "whatever gives the students more despair". Though, since he usually let's the plans of the killer play out as long as they stay within the rules, I would assume that in your scenario, he would say that seeing it though the surveillance camera counts as discovering it.

Although, since the surveillance cameras can only send short range feeds, I can't imagine that it would be that hard to find the body.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

I think this is just about where the previous LP ended, so I'm interested to see what happens from here on.

This is where the investigation starts. In the last LP, the investigation was over and the trial was about to start.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

I get it's difficult to be the first person to raise the issue, but it really bothers me how no one calls out Hiyoko for the way she talks to Mikan, and to a lesser extent Souda and Akane. She's a little psychopath (look how she enjoys crushing crabs and killing ants) - and the games attempts to make her sympathetic like her embarrassment over being unable to tie her obi and the shrine falls flat because of her gross, brutal insults and lack of empathy for anyone else.

I assumed that nobody calling her out on being a terrible human being is more of a cultural thing that doesn't seem right to western people, but may unfortunately seem normal to Japanese audiences.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Edit: Ah, is the deadpool not being updated anymore? I thought that looked fun.

It was locked from any more guesses after the final free time in the first chapter, since when Byakuya started talking about the party, is was obvious that he was going to die, either from being killed or being the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Tombot posted:

Speaking of movie, was that the cause of the "Disease" that people got? Because the people who did not see it seems to also be the ones who never caught it. I don't know what that has to do with anything but there you go.

Monokuma claimed that it was transmitted by small insects that nobody had seen. Presumably, they bit people, and infected them that way. It doesn't really matter how they got it, as Monokuma cured everyone who was infected.

• Locked thread