Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I wish there was a competition we could do for those who have played the game, but outside of trying to gauge how the thread will react to certain plot beats, I can't see anything that would actually work.

Spoiler for the previous lp betting pool It looks like you are missing Usami from the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Do whatever works for you.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Uh oh, I've seen enough cliche murder mysteries to know a "black out and then murder" scenario.

My one hope is that its Steve who gets schiskabobed.

What are you talking about? It is just going to be a temporary outage to hide the fact that Steve is going to bring out a delicious cake for everyone.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Monomi of course. With a special presentation from Monokuma. You see for all those voting in the death pool this entire game is an elaborate hoax and the rest of the game is anime hijinks and a dating sim.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is easily one of the best parts in the game. A character you had started to view as one of the reliable ones who had the side benefit of being very similar to the last games protagonist revels himself to be completely insane.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

There was a great quote from the last thread in response to that image which was something along the lines of "This is your brain on hope."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Is it worse then the equivalent scene in the first DR?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Huh. Never noticed that little detail about that place

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yakuza boy really is such a loner. What happened to Nagito in terms of tying him up may be a bit too much, but in a situation like this trying to limit the movements of a guy who would quite happily see everyone die in the pursuit of his precious hope seems like quite a reasonable thing to do.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You're welcome to that opinion, but I don't agree with that. In his post-trial testimony, he said that he WAS trying to find a way out of it but them Mahiru goes "didn't you murder someone" and that got him so MAD that he picked up the bat, and... sounds to me like he was finally pushed past his breaking point and he really was going to kill.

The "what really happened" flashback also supports this.

: I did it because I know. There is no way I can let that happen to you...

This sounds like Peko snatched the bat out of his hands to keep him from becoming the killer, it does not sound like he was chickening out of it.

There is one issue with your argument though. Peko understanding of what Kuzuryuu really wanted was wrong and the lead up to the execution shows just that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

What is interesting to note is just how different the motives are in the two games. As in there was always a sense of temptation around the first game but in the second Monokuma isn't acting nearly so subtle.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... so with Mikan's lie about the autopsy being explained away as clumsiness, I don't think we have any more evidence to conclusively prove it. This is interesting. We have a suspect who seems to be the one, but not enough solid proof to convince everyone else.

Ah, and here's the turn. The real Mikan appears. Kinda funny, what got her to snap at trial was her last defender agreeing to stop protecting her.

People are unwilling to believe it but in the end the fact that she gave a bullshit cause of death is a major piece of evidence. She is supposed to be the ultimate high school nurse so not being able to tell the true cause of death, which she has been able to do accurately in every single case beforehand, just doesn't fly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

The "gently caress sleep" point is definable in more or less all games of this particular mystery bent. Ch5 through 6 of Danganronpa/2 (presumably v3 too). The final branch of all of the Zero Escape games. The final case of any Ace Attorney game. Chapter, oh, I don't know, 11 or so of Ghost Trick.

I was lucky and was flying basically across the world so had all the time in the world to crunch through 5 and 6 for DR2.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This motive highlights just how much more vicious this game is compared to the previous one.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The one thing I am going to say about them is that one of the conversations could have been rephrased to make it more accurate for an international crowd.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The difference between he and Naegi is that Naegi is truly the ultimate hope student, whilst Nagito represents what it means to be the ultimate lucky student.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

No one is talking about how Nagito is obviously Naegi - same height, weight, appearance and voice actor? And his name is an anagram of "Makoto Naegi da". So that means he's definitely not Naegi. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.

Has this been talked about or has everyone silently agreed to not mention it? I think most of you have played the game before. I can't wait to find out where that goes.

They are supposed to appear similar so that when Nagito goes nuts in the first trial it is that much more disconcerting.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It is only a spoiler if people who have actually played the game start weighing in on the trial before it is finished.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I haven't played the third game yet but this chapter is easily my favorite one of the series.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

With the attention drawn to the spear whips I assume they're going to be important.

And not a single one of these kids is going to at least make an attempt to point out the obvious memory loss issues to Nagito? I mean it's a life or death situation and they're all out of other things to try.

Does Nagito really seem like the type of person who would listen to reason?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The thing is you have to talk with Nagito before he revels what he is really like as after that point the mc (forget his name right now) basically says "gently caress trying to get to know this lunatic."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

I'm guessing the issue is that it doesn't directly say the spear was the cause of death, although I'm too lazy to dig up the other victims' files and see if they all explicitly list the causes.

Just to back this up, here is what each data pad said about the victim for the respective case.

1st trial:

-The victim was repeatedly stabbed over ten times between the throat and abdominal region, resulting in death.

2nd trial:

-The cause of death is a single killing blow to the head with a blunt instrument.

3rd trial:

-Ibuki Mioda's cause of death was a crushed windpipe as a result of choking. There are no other external injuries.

-Hiyoko Saionji's cause of death was blood loss due to her throat being slit by a sharp-edged tool... It appears her death was instant.

4th trial:

-His head is severely damaged and beyond repair, so that shall be considered the cause of death.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

As other people have said before, this trial is the reason why I am so glad DR2 is being lped. Every trial has had some modicum of logic behind it as those responsible for the murder at least had somewhat of a clear motive. This trial though all that is thrown out the window as the one who perpetrated it was insane and everybody has to twist and bend their understanding of logic if they want to have a chance to survive.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

Here's the thing I don't understand, and that the game better explain:

So Chiaki's the traitor. Can they prove that she was the one who actually threw the poison? Because she can be the traitor and still not guilty of Nagito's death.

The game has already explained it. Nagito's luck would have it that the person who he wanted to be killed by, the traitor, would be the one who throw the poison grenade.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nagito was a psychopath to the end and the worst thing is this is the second time he has gotten a decent character killed.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BlackPersona posted:

What is going on

poo poo is getting real.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It will all make sense eventually.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halospaz117 posted:

From what I remember, the original translation wasn't straight up necrophilia, as much as something about transplanting Junko's womb and/or ovaries in place of their own. Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

That sounds more messed up then necrophilia.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I love this reveal as it caught me off guard but also made perfect sense once it had happened.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Narsham posted:

They really are remarkably stupid, aren't they? Ultimate Despair doesn't expect to get anything out of their graduating by lying to them about all their friends coming back to life? Really?

Post no bills, push no buttons.

It doesn't help that they are right now talking with someone who was already able to corrupt them once.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FPzero posted:

EXCUSE ME sir that is a bannable offense, you should be the one put on trial here.

I trust you already have an appropriate and despair inducing way of punishing Fedule.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RedMagus posted:

Can we absorb either of the two concepts "eternal game utopia" or " not part of the game" and shoot the other with it?

That is one of the game mechanics.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheDavies posted:

Junko is the way that she is as a result of her Talent. The only way to prevent her from becoming what she is, is to prevent her from developing that Talent ... so basically you'd have to lobotomize her.

This at least isn't true and supplementary material released as part of the game does go into this.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for lping this game as it was a lot of fun going through all the more crazy twists and turns this game has one more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solitair posted:

You get the guys' underwear, too.

Exactly. Finding out you get the underwear of your classmates by getting Gundams invisible boxers made the whole thing weird but not as bad as it could have been.

• Locked thread