Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, uh, I guess an ultimate swordswomen is kinda like a ninja? I dunno, I got nothing.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Is... Is she for real? I mean seriously, what?

Hmm... I wonder what Sonia will have to say about this development. Wait, didn't she say something about the catchphrase needing to be translated? Actually nevermind, she's not from Japan she of course it would be translated into her native tongue. Although that would mean the interviewer was from her country... Ah whatever, I'm probably overthinking this.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 29, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, I expressed curiosity as to what Sonia has to say, but I'm surprised it's taking her this long to say it...

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Fabulousvillain posted:

Bury them in sand. "A body has been found, autopsy shows they died over 2 weeks ago. Good luck Hajime."

To be fair, they'd probably notice the person was missing much sooner than that.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So... my confusion about the catchphrase needing to be translated became relevant? Go loving figure I guess.

Anyway, I expect that Monokuma will decide that no, Peko counts as a human and was in fact the killer. I mean, otherwise our group would die right? Unless of course this becomes teen Yakuza sim now.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, THAT'S one way of showing that you're genuinely apologetic. A stupid way mind you, but an effective one regardless.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I'm morbidly curious as to how that second song would have been like... with a title like that, it would be bound to be fascinating no matter what direction she went with it, but it's probably for the best we didn't find out.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't like Akane. She combines incredibly stupid with foolish recklessness.

I'm amazed you haven't commented on Fuyuhiko cutting himself yet.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Zoe posted:

This is like some wacky sitcom illness. Just, the kind of sitcom where someone gets brutally murdered, because these kids are just not learning animals when it comes to the motives.

To be fair, it totally seems Monokuma's style.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Graylien posted:

I think Monokuma said in the first game that even accidental deaths count, so not being in your right mind would still get you executed :smith: I do wonder how he'd deal with death from illness though, can't execute a bacteria.

I think he actually said earlier somewhere that death by sickness would likely be the only death that doesn't count as murder, but that Usami would somehow prevent that from happening. Oh, and I'm sure that in the event of suicide they would be guilty of murdering themselves, meaning if someone else get's blamed, everyone ends up dead.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Oh duh. Gullible virus. Why tell them to do one thing when you could tell them to do two?

Oh! That would be an excellent way to confuse things wouldn't it? Get her to kill someone else, than make her kill herself. Most of the cast would probably have a difficult time thinking of that as a possibility.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Stroth posted:

Pointing out, just as in the last LP, that mark is definitely in the wrong place to be from a hanging.

Of course, it's possible that's not a clue, and the makers of the game simply got where the mark from a hanging would be wrong. Good eye either way though.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Stroth posted:

They're generally pretty good about that sort of thing though.

True, just pointing it out as a possibility, everyone can makes mistakes after all. If I had to, I'd bet on it being deliberate, but it wouldn't be a full confidence bet.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mikan is a good mix of uncomfortable and annoying. Or would that be a bad mix?

A well made mix for being deliberately annoying? It's a bit long winded but I think it accurately represents what you were going for?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well... that was.. a thing...

Hmm... you know, my gut tells me that the "future foundation" aren't bad guys... if the "real" Mikan is a crazy psycho... then perhaps that's true of the rest and this island and the memory removal was an attempt at rehabilitation? Hmm... we'll have to wait and see I suppose. Perhaps I'm just oddly inclined to think well of a group with the word "future" in the name.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
The question is, will he largely be the same person, or is this actually a poor copy that will be an insult to his memory? Uh, in terms that might be easier to understand for some, was his body altered to be like that or his mind transferred into the robo body, in which case he's the same person (but likely with a changed perspective) or did he die and monobear created a robot caricature.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Hmmm... yeah he largely seems to be the same person, so this isn't the possibility of "not him but instead a mockery of a copy" I was worried about, and any differences are likely due to a change in perspective, or whatever the right phrase for acknowledging the differences the robot body has would be.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm reminded of a certain visual novel series.

I'm not well versed with the world of Visual Novels, mind elaborating what you're referring to?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

MegaZeroX posted:

It would be a spoiler to say the name of the VN. I'll say it below, but don't read it if you plan on reading other popular VNs

Virtue's Last Reward

Well, I don't plan on reading VN's, and the name seems familiar, but I have no idea how it's a spoiler for other VN's. Now I'm curious, guess I'll trawl the cesspit of TV Tropes or 4Chan for context. Don't want to derail this thread more than I already have after all.

So, back on track, who thinks Robo-Nidai will Live, and who thinks he will Die?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Okay, we know the mastermind was Junko, and I doubt she was part of any group called the "Future Foundation" so my instincts tell me that the surviving students make up the "Future Foundation". Which I assume would mean this island is an attempt at rehabilitation, as I speculated earlier, presumably rehabilitation is needed because in the removed memories hosed up poo poo happend that made them members of the despair group, like with Mikan. Something along those lines anyway. Although... this doesn't explain Togami. Perhaps his role was essentially "undercover therapist"? Hmm... I suppose we'll get our answers in time.

Also, shouldn't a robot be immune to gas?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Hopefully Akane.

What's your problem with Akane specifically? That she's stupid? Don't mean to sound rude, I'm genuinely curious as to what your reasoning here is.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

She is not just merely stupid, but terminally stupid - a danger not just to herself, but others as well. Nekomaru's human body was lost because of her lethal stupidity, and judging from her current state of mind, she's a prime candidate to become a cannibal. She seems most likely to become dangerous. I wouldn't miss her at all.

Okay, "most likely to become a cannibal" and "is the reason Nekomaru had to become a robot" is in fact a fair enough reason. Thank you for indulging my curiosity. Personally I'd rather she lived, but I can see how her brand of stupid could be particularly grating. As for who I'd like to die, hm, I can't choose anyone out of the current group except Nagito.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Glazius posted:

What kind of luck makes up for your friends dying, I wonder?

...getting your memory wiped? So you can't remember? poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo.

Them being rich and you inheriting their wealth? I dunno.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

rannum posted:

On the other had Naegi had an almost aggressively normal life. I don't think Asahina had any sort of issue. The worst Sakura got was a sick boyfriend. Celeste WISHES she had a traumatic backstory. Leon had nothing going on other than wanting to be a rock star.

I can't remember all the backstories in 2, but I think there's way more depressing/tragic ones over all compared with DR1's

My theory of "the traitor could be better described as a undercover therapist" gains more weight.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

Well, before he was a crazy guy who continually praised them. Now he's pointing out that they're all a bunch of morons.

Makes you wonder what he found in those student profiles... I imagine it's somehow connected to how Mikan with her memories was a psycho, perhaps all of them would be very different people if they had their memories back?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Buried alive posted:

Rigging up a trap like that, messing with the mechanics and figuring out the layout without going through the final dead room? I'm guessing it's Soda. It's hard to believe anyone else would have that level of knowledge.

Didn't Monobear say to Nagito that someone else had been in the final dead room before him? Or at least imply as such?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Smile at Hope in the name of Despair? I wonder what exactly that means, you might think it refers to Nagito, but that doesn't seem right to me, Nagito seems like he would smile at Despair in the name of Hope. Hmm...

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Quantum Toast posted:

Now that's just playing dirty.

That goes from "needle in a haystack" to "needle in a stack of needles".

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

And doesn't it just fill you with *~despair~*? :devil:

Actually, it fills me with the feeling of lots of pointy things poking in my skin. More of a yelling than a sobbing feeling.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

FPzero posted:

https://twitter.com/FP_zero/status/932330382686552064

This game is fun to record.

I think the jump to 60fps for the PC port had the effect of making certain hidden things become "visible". For example, back in Chapter 4's Strawberry Tower, you can actually see Nekomaru's dead body and the crime scene for one frame during the fade in. This happens even during the Daily Life. Obviously you won't be able to tell during normal play but sometimes I rewind footage to look at blips I notice and yeah that was a surprising find.

Clearly, proof that the island is actually the matrix. Things blink in and out of existence!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Nagito is probably not going to manage to kill the traitor, because that would make the case too easy. Unless he and and the traitor end up dead I guess. Either way, I imagine Nagito is going to die. Perhaps he will reveal the traitor (who I still suspect isn't really a traitor) via his death.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I just thought of something, can Nagito use his luck to somehow make someone kill him when they didn't want to? Or is this just another one of those dumb weird thoughts that pops into my brain from time to time?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Chiaki being a Terminator would be such a non-surprise, considering how permanently laid back she is.

Personally, I'm still going with my theory that the "traitor" could better be described as an "undercover therapist" who's trying to help the others not be the people they would be with all their memories, (since, you know, Mikan with her memories was insane, who's to say similar things wouldn't be the case of the others?) and Chiaki actually seems to fit that theory pretty well. She's largely tried to help everyone and calm down tensions and generally tried to make people get along better.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Wait, what just happend? Is... is Monokuma theater canon?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Fucker probably somehow arranged this so that the "traitor" is the guilty party. He is the type to give his life in the name of his cause after all.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

And Nagito could not tie up his own wrists and stab himself with a spear.

You never know man, maybe he got lucky, or set up some kinda bizarre contraption? Like, I dunno, when the fire started the spear was released from a thing that held it up or something. And as for being tied up, perhaps he asked Monobear to tie him up, since hey, tying him up isn't the same as being responsible for the killing blow, and this would sure make for a wonderful class trial!

Basically, what I'm saying is, there is no way he didn't somehow have a hand in this, no matter how impossible it may seem at first.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
What do you reckon the odds are Nagito knew he would be dead by the point the others saw the video?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

His face didn't exactly scream suicide though.

Perhaps it was like "I know I'm doing this to myself but CHRIST THIS HURTS!"?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Personally, my guess is that he somehow used his luck to make it so that the "traitor" is the responsible party, even if they don't know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Colander Crotch posted:

Based on that thought, it would have to be Chiaki. At almost exactly noon she swiped her handbook. The video said that if the traitor swiped it then it would stop the bomb. It was probably a trigger to some deathtrap that he put himself in so that he could be killed through his luck.

My god, this makes a disturbing amount of sense. I hope that if this is true, it was merely a really good guess, not someone with foreknowledge pretending to be good at guessing (which has happend in various threads of various LP's).

• Locked thread