Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sindai posted:

That sure felt like a survey of potential crime scenes and the introduction of a bunch of rules that'll be part of the evidence. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow.

And a list of suspects/victims too!

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So my first thought is that it could be Nekomaru since he's been gone for a while and would have had time to make preparations. I'm not sure how he could have rigged the device to show the suicide(?) though.

It was already rigged up. All he would have had to do is transmit it and maybe adjust the camera.

My initial guess before we get to the investigation is that this is a one-two murder. That is, Hiyoko either caused or witnessed Ibuki's murder (since Ibuki had the gullible despair virus) and was then murdered herself. Considering the venue the suspect list is pretty much anyone not busy taking care of the patients (Fuyuhiko, Mikan and Naegi.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh duh. Gullible virus. Why tell them to do one thing when you could tell them to do two?

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 16, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That full length mirror has added a whole host of uncomfortable potential complications to this :ohdear:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Komaeda would probably make a good SHSL Detective if he wasn't so pants on head crazy.

Or maybe it's the fact that he's pants on head crazy that makes him such a good detective?

It helps that he's done this before.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That leaves only Mikan.

But there's a problem: I don't see how she has the time to do the necessary steps. (In oren's LP, Souda mentioned that the monitors can't record or play back. I am assuming that remains the case here, even though I don't think it was explicitly said.)
There's another problem with your theory that's maybe a bit too subtle: Mikan also has decently long hair which would add on more time to her preparations (to hide it under the second bag.)

There is however a solution to the time crunch: Ibuki's gullible virus. While it's true that she probably wouldn't do anything suicidal if told to, what if she was told something factually untrue that would cause her to do that? IE: 'hey Ibuki, this murder here? you did it. how are you gonna atone for this?' etc. etc. help with the setup yadda yadda.

Hiyoko being the primary victim also makes Mikan pretty suspect (being the primary target of most of her abuse.)

Yet another problem that's going to come up in the trial is the lack of spare Hospital Gowns. With one per patient that leaves whoever did the imitation hanging on a short list. Although Nekomaru Nagito did say he saw two Ibukis...

Edit: Whoops, silly N names.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 26, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The hair can be hidden under the robe. But I don't accept the possibility of someone who is sick killing someone, even themselves. Lack of mental capacity is another unsatisfying way to tell the story.

The killer had all night to set up the music club and kill the two victims and set the scene there, as well as prepare the conference room. Ibuki might have helped a little, but it's not really required.The time crunch problem starts as soon as Hajime picks up the transmission, by which point Ibuki is long dead.

I get the impression that like the other two cases, the resolution will hinge on implausible timing or ridiculous feats.

It's also rather unsatisfying to have this massive (relatively in terms of cast members affected) change introduced for it to turn out to just be a method to separate the actors and narrow down a suspect list. There's too much potential/intrigue there.

Hmmm. Then again because of Sonia's account with Hiyoko being in the music venue and all the effort gone into trying to clean the place up... What if you're right and that's all the Despair Disease actually ended up doing?
If Ibuki dies first that removes a lot of the timing constraints and allows the killer ample enough time to set up 'Ibuki hanging herself' to cover their tracks. But then a snag hits: Hiyoko happens on the scene so now the killer has to take care of her too. Now the killer has a planned murder they still need to finish setting up and now an unplanned murder to also cover up, but one they could use to their advantage.

Hence them copying the movie and the relative haste/sloppyness of Hiyoko's part of the coverup (the reversed sash, the use of tape, the snag of wallpaper on the lights.) The messy blood cleanup and spatters on Ibuki's hospital sandals (and the ladder) are easy enough to fake.

That leaves the things the killer has to do in order to meet all of the time constraints down to: clean up the hospital conference room, hide/dispose of the equipment used there, get to the music venue, move the wallpaper away from Hiyoko, deposit a broken drum stick in front of the door, exit, seal the door with some form of sealant and then innocuously show up to not be suspicious.

The conference room equipment is the sticking point. The stepladder mostly since that's a big thing to be carting around, the camera is easy enough to move about.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well yeah. Have you seen the black half of his body? To say nothing of the executions and casual murder threats.

He's black AND white though. He's living on the edge. The ying-yang edge man.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sindai posted:

I somehow didn't notice until now that the chef's X is a knife and fork. Oh Monobear. :allears:

The Despair is in the details after all!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's still one point that's nagging me in declaring Mikan guilty: motive. The only person I can see her actively murdering is Hiyoko and she's obviously not the primary victim here. Which then leaves 'Easy Target' but in that case why not go after Nagito who's in the same situation since he's demonstrated that he's more of a threat to everyone than Ibuki?

Glazius posted:

I don't know what Nagito was trying to do here, but in the spirit of Nagito let me add:

a) Mikan was obviously exhausted when she left to rest in the on-call room, but somehow still managed to hoof it over to the music venue to spike the camera, break the drumstick, and glue the door shut?
b) then again, literally nobody else without Despair Disease could even have been in the hospital overnight without violating Monobear Law, and how else do you get to Ibuki?

Going off your first point there's now another consideration: body strength. Does Mikan have enough oomph to strangle Ibuki with a rope? It's not that easy.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pretty much. That also supplies the motive: finally snapping.

Which means Ibuki's murder was all Hiyoko's fault to begin with.

Good thing she died for her sins too! :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

quote:

Everyone: Having Mikan kill someone because she contracted the despair disease would be a disappointing cop-out.

Mikan: Hold my beaker.

That sure was an execution though :stare:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Monokuma I feel the drill beard was perhaps a bit unnecessary.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

I like how the group is angrier towards monomi, who at least wants them to be happy, and not monobear, who is actively working towards their deaths.

She is kind of the source of their whole problem, being the person who ostensibly kidnapped and memory wiped them in the first place. Pretty much the only time she's actually helpful to them is when she's not around which makes her highly suspect.

Monokuma's at least honest and straightforward with wanting them to kill each other and setting things up to make that happen :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I can't wait for Nagito to find out the secrets he's so adamant about finding in fact deal with himself rather than Hajime :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Here you go guys! 2 monokuma themed portholes!

Behold! A rudder! That's in three parts! There you go, the ship parts I promised.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Unlike the sweet deal of Hope's Peak that was in the last game, it seems that Monokuma learned how to make a place that someone actually would murder someone to get out of on the merits of that location itself.

Because hot dang that's a lot of strawberries.

Zoe posted:

And I'm hoping now that not a single one of Nekomaru's new robot functions they keep drawing attention to is in any way relevant to the next murder.

You'd think it'd be something useful like the clock function or that someone had to hit his sleep button but no. No the key to the next case is the tea and cola tears function he has.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Mechamaru's cola tears to the rescue!

You know what else seems to be missing?

Bathrooms.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh no Grape House.

:ohdear: Oh no :ohdear:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's also the Memory Erasure thing too. Considering how much Mikan changed when she remembered who she was it's very possible no one remembers they're the traitor.

It's also possible that the traitor is the incredibly obvious Monomi (looks like Monobear, isn't helpful except for clearing the guardian beasts coincidentally after a murder happens, brought everyone here in the first place and wiped their memories apparently etc. etc.)

It's also also possible that there is no traitor or Monobear is stretching the definition in a way that misleads everyone.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That sure sounded more like a gunshot than an earthquake.

Good thing Hajime didn't go into that room then!

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 7, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh boy a new POV! Oh no it's Naegi :magical:

- I have no reason to think that the tower rotates. It might, this used to be a Fun House, but I have seen nothing to support the idea that it does. There are two sets of doors, not one set, so there's no reason for this to rotate. On the other hand, I don't have any idea how Nekomaru was killed, and it clearly wasn't with the unused decoy hammer.

I'm betting he was done in with the tower mechanism itself, since Mechomaru did say that he'd be able to be in the room while it transformed if he was in sleep mode. Probably some sort of rube goldberg mechanism that involved using the pillars weights to decapitate him.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I knew it! I knew that Monokuma was really Zero the Rabbit! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

amigolupus posted:

This theory is slowly making more sense to me, but my main problem here is the contact elevator. Let's say we came from Grape House and used the contact elevator, if it does rotate 180° then shouldn't it stop north of the Final Dead Room and be facing outside?

That's assuming that the pivot point of the rotation is the Tower.

What if it's the houses themselves?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

amigolupus posted:

I don't think the houses could be the ones rotating. When Mechamaru was murdered, the killer had to have used the contact elevator. There were people in both sides of the house by then, so they surely would've felt if the houses were spinning.

Thanks for the edit. This layout makes more sense seeing it like this. My only question is, are there elevators that can actually move around the building like this? I don't want to dismiss the possibility out of hand, but it sounds... well, almost as stupid as Peko using her sword as a springboard on a wet bathroom floor.

These are related. There's ways to do subtle motion where you can't feel it (gravity via centrifugal rotation in tons of sci-fi for instance) and most fun house/ride illusions are typically simple but executed in a completely unexpected way.

What's more unexpected than having the entire thing rotate? :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Zoe posted:

'I am not some woman with flexible legs!' is a great line.

So is the followup "With legs like those, I could prolly do the splits real easy."

It's perfectly straddling the line between innuendo and innocence. :v:

Mikl posted:

Nekomaru might consider suicide, if he saw it as the only way to rescue his friends from starvation. On the other hand, in this case he was clearly murdered. There's no way he could have done everything by himself, and even then why make it look like a murder? It'd make no sense.

He could have done everything by himself since, as a robot, he probably doesn't need to sleep which gives him plenty of time to do things.

On the other hand he doesn't seem like the type to know how to disable the contact elevator by messing with it's safety.

On the other other hand he does have crazy Robot Senses.

On the other, other other hand why leave a perfectly good mallet there to confuse the scene of the crime? Although this assumes that someone else came along and messed with the crime scene to make it look like it was a murder so that people wouldn't think it was a suicide (or it could be a double bluff at that.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

amigolupus posted:

I really can't agree with this reading at all, because if the killer wanted this to be a suicide then why would they think murdering someone else first was in any way a good idea? :psyduck: If this was supposed to be similar to DR1's case 4, then killing someone ruins the notion of this being a self-sacrifice to keep everyone alive. If they wanted to be useful, why not just take the grenades and rocket launcher in the Octagon and blow a loving hole in the wall so the others can escape?

Because that'd break Monokuma's rules and not only be suicide, but suicide that doesn't serve anyone (because Monokuma wouldn't count that towards feeding everyone else/getting them out of there.)

This way not only does it count it allows for the murderer to get out of the situation entirely by getting everyone else killed, which makes for an interesting difference from DR1's case 4.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Well at least Souda's still trying. That's nice (and so is that Minimaru.)

FPzero posted:

: You guys...seem reliable...
: Hey, don't talk like you're not included. You're our friend too, you know...
: ...You're right.
: Then I gotta do my best, too.

:siren: :ducksiren: :siren:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Sonia continuing the excellent trolling of Kazuhiro by asserting her assigned role. This is good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

She's working for/with the traitor, of course she's protecting them.

Of course the secrecy nonsense is completely counter to their probable goals at this point so she's still an idiot. But that applies to the whole game after monokuma showed up.

Nagito gets his memory back.

Turns out he's the traitor.

The traitor that let everyone get kidnapped in the first place, ruining the original Despair Plan.

Alternatively, he's the traitor to the Future Foundation that caused them to go under. A traitor to an organization that seems to no longer exist.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

And there....

WAS A TROUSER SNAKE AAHHHHHH SONIA WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG WE HAVE STEPPED INTO THE TROUSER SNAKE DEN AND ALL OUR DENIM IS THUS ENVENOMED AHHHHHHH

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Well I guess it would be in character for Sonia to mention Mikan's schtick once more. Good ol' Mikan and your unexpected fanservice moments. She would have totally found a way to get caught up in all three of those whips at once. Heh.

A five character password eh? Too bad FRIENDS is 7 letters and it doesn't look like it matches anyway.
BUDDY maybe?

Actually I don't remember what the code entry thing for the door looks like so it could be anything.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Blademaster_Aio posted:

What are we even going to do with the bombs? How will we defuse them?

I think Sonia's getting the solution to that right now.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Way to forget about that bomb-like apparatus on the central island guys.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Unfortunately the whole Mikan thing throws shade on everyone. Who's the best at hiding their previous, probably pretty murder-y selves!?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Of course there'd be a real bomb in the Octagon! :argh:

The one place Nagito had access to that no one else does!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I don't have enough information to put together any wild theories of what happened yet and I had forgotten about the Octagon in the meantime :shobon:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Stephen9001 posted:

He wanted to weed out the traitor right? I'm guessing that if he replaced the contents of a grenade with poison, he only did it for one grenade, and relied on his luck to make it so that the traitor would be the one to throw it. I know that some people think "rely on his luck to make it so the traitor kills him" sounds kinda dumb, but, frankly, it's within his demonstrated capabilities.

Getting himself into some crazy rube goldberg machine with the music player timing the fire, the door opening timing something else (The Monokuma stands are the rube golberg domino's in this case) and the fire grenades...

I wonder if because of how intricate and multi-layered his death was that it turns out everyone was an accomplice/murdered him in some way, forcing that issue.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

That the Togami in this game wasn't the same Togami as from the first game is the only spoiler I learned about this game since orenronen's LP was stopped. And it wasn't really much of a spoiler since DR2 Togami's knowledge and reactions were not consistent with him being the same person as DR 1 Togami - at least, not if he was being honest.

There is one important consistency that backs it up: his methods were very much Byakuya's. He's the leader, he's not going to let anyone die, he's going to cover security, etc. etc.

And since there was already one obvious change with him being so fat, why wouldn't his knowledge and reactions have also changed?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dangit Nagito, even in death you still drag down the pace of these trials :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

wait wouldn't that make fedule monokuma and fpzero monomi?

I have done it I have cracked the code.

• Locked thread