Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I always thought it was the last three years of high school. So from an Australian perspective they do year 9 (first year of HS) elsewhere. Then get scouted by Hope's Peak and spend 3 years there.

Spoiler removed here because I was wrong about where it's from, sorry.

The first game says they removed 2 years worth of memories but not that they were graduating before they sealed themselves in the school I'm pretty sure. Plus 3 years at Hope's Peak sounds more sensible in my head than 2.

I could be wrong of course.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

FPzero posted:

I actually don't think the first game goes over what your spoiler mentions. In fact, I think that's something from the novel DR0, not the first game. Could you edit it out just in case? If I'm totally wrong (since I don't have time to go back through the previous LP to look for it) you can put it back later.

Nah I was confused because I haven't personally played the games I've just read up the story and whoever wrote it down put the spoiler as part of the game. So I've edited it out.

On a different note are you planning on doing Ultra Despair Girls at any point. As I think the thread's reaction to some of the more mishandled parts of that game might be worth seeing. Also I actually think it has a few interesting parts and themes that are unfortunately ruined by said mishandling and the admittedly poor gameplay.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

Japanese high school is only three years long. (American 10th grade-12th grade)

I honestly didn't know this, and I wasn't quite thinking of High School in Australia but Senior school. Which is year 9-12. But if it's only 3 years of High school in Japan and they already have to be in High School to be scouted I guess they must only do 2 years at Hope's Peak. Which seems a bit short to me and makes Hagakure's thing about being held back 3 times extra ridiculous.

Then again if I remember correctly what schooling at Hope's Peak is actually like from other resources it's not that silly to only spend two years there.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 13, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

To be fair, I don't think the writer considers this to be wholly funny or healthy, or wants the audience to think so too; note that the only people celebrating it are terrible people themselves. But writers sometimes fall into the trap set by 'death of the author" and their own ability to actually present certain topics: should a thing that is meant to be gross and uncomfortable and rejected by the author be so in our faces that we become sickened, and at what point does it become exploitation of the thing it is ostensibly against? This entire series, by it's very nature , falls into that trap a lot, even more so when the original writer director is not involved! *coughanimecough*

Yeah the other game in this series won't be played for the thread because of this very thing, also that it is not a particularly well made game in general and the main reason to play it is for the story it adds to the Dangan Ronpa world, which is again marred by this issue. Where it tries to tackle certain topics and does so terribly and comes across as awful because of it.

In this game I'm pretty sure Mikan ends up being the worst of this sort of thing though. Dangan Ronpa is very much meant to be a commentary on Japanese society from what I understand, the quest for perfection and how it breaks people is a big theme of many characters. So things like this are often meant to be viewed negatively not positively, especially considering how much it actually upsets Mikan and how damaged her personality has so far appeared.

This doesn't necessarily mean they've handled it well or with any amount of tact though, and parts of it are that this is a translation of a game and so it's very possible that the translation team has changed context or the intention of specific phrases/lines either by accident or on purpose for their own reasons.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tombot posted:

What I'd like to know is, why was the knife covered in paint? I never knew that until now. Did sombody try to plant a false murder weapon? Were two plans coinciding and this was the muddled result? And was it Byakuya using the night vision (or trying to use the night vision) or the murderer? Because this was a lot of things going on in such a short period of time.

Edit: sombody else post so we can get this to a new page already!

I guess Togami was also planning a murder, hence the night vision goggles and knife with special green paint. But I don't know how true this is. The big question is why on earth would Togami have Night Vision Goggles if he didn't know a blackout was coming, they're not particularly useful for anything but sneaky underhanded stuff in this situation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think the thing is that Peko was never in on the plan in the first place, she was just following Kuzuryuu around because whilst he doesn't want her to be his servant/bodygaurd/whatever she cannot think of another life. So she jumps in of her own volition and Kuzuryuu didn't actually call out for her to do anything.

Kuzuryuu's entire thing right now is doing things for himself, he doesn't want to rely on Peko to do his dirty work. So of course he doesn't include her in the plan and she only happens to interrupt because she follows him around regardless of his own wishes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

idonotlikepeas posted:

Their main criterion seems to be that the student excels in some field, no matter what it is. Extraordinary people aren't guaranteed to be nice, or even good.

In real life it's also somewhat true that the sorts of people who would be accepted into such a school tend towards having personality problems related to being extremely good at only one thing, not always of course. Which is kind of a theme of the games as a whole, being super awesome at one thing doesn't mean you can't have a lovely personality or life.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

Ah, yes, "it".

At least it reveals that Nekomaru has two Ultimate skills, being both the Ultimate Team Manager and Ultimate Masseuse. Two Ultimate skills is pretty rare.

I think it's also a bit that they're technically related skills, in that Nekomaru is meant to know how to make sure people perform at peak capability. So of course he knows how to massage tension out of muscles to help warm up and cool down during training sessions. Still a really awkward scene.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I always thought it was partially that Hiyoko comes across mostly as a mean little child and then makes others uncomfortable if they try and call her out on it. She's awful but I can certainly see why people don't want to blow up on the girl who looks and acts like a 10 year old for the most part.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 14, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

It's insane that she could be that precise, but who knows, maybe she trained to become super-precise with timing during the gap in everyone's memories .

Honestly very precise timing seems like something the Ultimate Nurse would have, if we assume Mikan's clumsiness is actually her own actions and not actual clumsiness she suddenly becomes very impressive at precise timing and precise movements, which makes sense for an Ultimate Nurse.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah like a lot of things he's exaggerating things that may not have been that bad, or perhaps really were, about his life to match the persona he's created in response to being emotionally and socially shunned by his family and other children. He has poor social skills and compensates by being a person who doesn't "need" social skills and pretending it doesn't effect him.

It's extremely sad and unfortunate and there's not much that could really be done to fix it until someone like Hajime makes the effort to get past the defense mechanisms and proves to Gundham that he doesn't need them. It's not a defense of his actions but an understanding of why he is who he is, and why his actions and mannerisms are not necessarily all there is to him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Clearly heís actually planning to murder Monokuma, after all going all out means going for the hardest target.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Alternatively like the ending of the first game youíre being ďgivenĒ an Ultimate Title by an Ultimate.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I mean, an elaborate plan to kill one person that involves self sacrifice sounds exactly as crazy as you would expect from Nagito. Itís just that heís already been ďexecutedĒ for his killing. If that is indeed what is going on.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

David Corbett posted:

Say what youíd like about Danganrompa, but whatís your problem with the Muppet Christmas Carol? Answer carefully.

Making Kermit the poor worker is awkward at best, given he is usually at least the manager if not owner of the theatre the Muppets work in.

I think if you compare it to the similarly ridiculous Muppet Treasure Island it ends up being the weaker of the two. Partially because the story being used is less immediately adventurous and funny. It doesnít help that from memory the Muppet Christmas Carol is less a movie about/featuring Muppets and more one where they just happen to exist.

In essence it is a Christmas Carol movie first and a Muppet Movie Second, whereas Treasure Island gives both halves equal footing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Forgive me if , but I thought chiaki was intentionally writing as though she was monomi in order to pass it off as monomi's journal. After all if she wrote it like a normal person then the jig would have been up as soon as they found it in Nagito's room. And speaking of which, he was probably able to put 2 and 2 together and realize that chiaki was the traitor when he stole the notebook in the first place.That raises the question, why didn't he just murder her if he wanted the traitor dead so bad?

Because he also wants the rest of the class to know and turn on the traitor too I assume?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The anime is also pretty bad for a variety of reasons.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

If something in DR sounds silly in English it was probably at least four times as absurdly phrased in Japanese.

The writers very much intentionally played up how overdramatic it was, though I can't remember Orenonen's explanation for the reasoning behind it back from his first DR LP thread.

If I had to guess it's because the entire thing is commentary on society, so it uses absurd overdramatic language to get people to actually pay attention to the message, whilst highlighting the absurdity of that message.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looking forward to the finale. And don't worry, I'm sure plenty of us can and will wait for a V3 LP. Though that makes me wonder which will come first, a V3 LP or a Despair Girls LP?

Almost certainly the V3 LP, because Despair Girls is bad in so many ways that you're better off reading the story over playing the game, and only parts of the story at that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

Two years.

Kyoko noticed that something was off with her body, but didn't realize what it was until the final trial.

And as far as I remember other material suggested Junko tried very hard to somewhat reverse their aging so they'd have a harder time noticing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Narsham posted:

Clearly each of them took a part of Junko's body with them, to remember her by and to make each of them part of Ultimate Despair.

Who wants to start the betting pool for who has which part?

I theorise that Mikan has no parts, because logically she's the one who did the transplant for everyone else.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

FPzero posted:

In short, a bloody paste.

(Yeah just roll with it I guess there was a small retcon or something)

The Ultimate Nurse can fix a body that badly damaged, probably.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Iím gonna say it was Nagito and Mikan who went to the gross extremes. Theyíre the visibly craziest about Junko, based on Nagito giving himself the Ultimate Stranger Technique hand and everything about Mikan when she snaps and gets her memories back.

Iím also gonna say that it may be excessive but it works, itís gross and uncomfortable and shocking intentionally. This is a cult of personality around one woman who abused everyone and everything for her own sick and twisted desires. Of course her followers are going to be equally hosed up. The Necrophilia works because itís obviously horrific and despair inducing and thatís the point. These people were so broken that the cure is to make them forget they were ever broken at all.

UDG and 3 have other problems but thatís for another time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

FPzero posted:

Man I really want to say something about what everyone's ing about but to do so would require talking about DR3 which I can't do as per my own thread rules.

What I'll ask instead to anyone familiar with the original script is if the Japanese scene used similar wording and phrasing for shock value or if this was played up for the localization? If you have to use a spoiler bar for it, you can.

Not that I do know what the wording and phrasing is in the Japanese version but as I've sort of been on it for a while I think it's important to remember that all the Dangan Ronpa games are a form of social commentary, and the way Junko's Ultimate Despair is described I think it's partially about modern day celebrity cult of personality stuff. Which like everything else is taken to an insane and absurd extreme so people will pay attention to how insane and crazy it actually is to treat people the way Ultimate Despair treated Junko, even if it isn't taken as ridiculously far as they did.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 27, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Halospaz117 posted:

From what I remember, the original translation wasn't straight up necrophilia, as much as something about transplanting Junko's womb and/or ovaries in place of their own. Feel free to correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

Oh hey, this sounds about right for Mikan at least, Nagito is the stranger and Mikan decides to give birth to the next Junko, wonderful.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

See I wouldn't be surprised if it was Teruteru.

He probably cooked some of her or something, I figure if they can't combine their talents with their ultimate despair at Junko's Death what's the point?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, uh, what kind of despair things do you think Mahiru did?

Taking indoor photos with the flash still on? Not removing the red from people's eyes?

As a serious answer she probably took photos of the rest of them as publicity stuff, and their actions. The perfect shot of a mass murder.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Saionji? What could she possibly do?

Again, serious mode. A consistent thing about this set of students is they almost all have power over other people, or can lead other people. This was true of the first game too, but in this one we've got a lot of celebrities and big shots. If the tragedy that destroyed the world was huge you need people capable of leading others to do horrible things too, Saionji etc probably used their talents to make other people do what they told them to do.

Junko corrupts them, they corrupt the world.

Edit: What Stroth said basically.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also original Alter Ego was very capable of copying other people given enough time, that's how it gets Taka over his depression after all. Enough time with a blank state Alter Ego reading from Junko would produce a pretty close to real Junko AI, much like Original Alter Ego is largely Chihiro but not quite.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Terper posted:

The villain of Danganronpa 2 and the villain of the Kingdom Hearts series have the same plan.

But how many people are inside Naegi at this point? If we're discussing this parallel.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How can he be Ultimate Hope without the Ultimate Ahoge!?

Hopeís Peak have terrible taste in what makes the Ultimate Hope obviously.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sindai posted:

The super hope program was a recent thing. Izuru Kamakura was also the name of the guy who founded Hope's Peak a hundred years ago or whatever it was, they just renamed Hajime after him to be poetic.

Yeah, they claim the program was Hope's Peak Original Goal, and I can see it depending on the timelines involved, but I suspect it might have been a recent thing and furthermore given what we know of Kyoko's father it might not have had the full backing of the school, at least what was done to Hajime.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Zoe posted:

There's a little part of me having trouble getting swept up in the drama and big dilemma here because yeah, I keep thinking of other, more obvious ways this could've been handled that the game isn't even acknowledging to explain away.

This is going full worst case scenario for everyone involved and ALL of them are being sacrificed to prevent Junko from getting out, and I keep thinking the DR1 three at least should be smarter than this.

Kyoko and Byakuya sure but Naegi is the one pushing to save the Remnants of Despair in the first place and as you may recall when the other two showed up Byakuya literally complained about Naegi rushing in without discussing things first.

So sure Kyoko and Byakuya would have come up with a smarter more optimal solution but Naegi led them to this one because he wants to save people and both of them follow him because heís proven himself.

I think itís worth noting that the other Remnants may currently be Brain Dead but weíve seen proof that their data isnít fully gone from the simulation, they were all showing up before entering the ruins after all.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

XavierGenisi posted:

We wanted....this...?

I think... that I did?

I must have wanted this at some point.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cyouni posted:

I can't believe Hajime was Ishimaru all along.

Clearly they've performed some form of fusion to become a greater Super Saiyan.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

dancingbears posted:

That is to say, I'm like 95% certain this ending is Izuru double crossing Junko. Before he went under, he hacked the program and left a backdoor for himself, should Hajime notice it, that lets him totally screw over Junko and ruin her entire plan in front of her face, presumably to spite her for getting him involved in the Tragedy of Hope's Peak.

Well, that's really the only way I can make sense of the ending, so...

Pretty sure itís this as well, Izuru finds life boring. He has every talent possible, he can do anything at all, and so life has no meaning for him. I guess heís decided to try and become Hajime again, maybe with the talents left and maybe not.

Basically I suspect being Izuru Kamakura sucks and he decides to be someone else in the most ridiculous over the top way possible, whilst insuring the person he becomes remains confident and competent.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ultra Despair Girls has some truly terrible bits, but it's at least got a fairly respectable message buried in the poo poo and the friendship between Toko and Komaru is beautiful in a way. The gameplay being mediocre at best is just icing on the unfortunate cake.

Also Dangan Ronpa 3 is incredibly bad for what it is and it's message is stupid as gently caress compared to literally everything else, whilst partially ruining previous entries and generally making everyone look worse. Do not watch Dangan Ronpa 3, it is bad and I'm pretty sure if you actually wanted closure you could come up with something better on your own.

Hunt11 posted:

This at least isn't true and supplementary material released as part of the game does go into this.

Junko's true talent kind of is the problem, but so is her childhood.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Bifauxnen posted:

there's a couple cool character moments here and there in the prequel half of the anime, but it's heavily outweighed by some very, very stupid things.

The one-shot 2.5 thing is okay though?

Haven't watched the 2.5 thing, but it's about Nagito saving everyone so I've heard?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

dancingbears posted:

It's the child prostitution stuff

There, now you don't need to know more

EDIT: If you do need to know more, here is a 30 minute recap of the entire thing. Spoilers for UDG, if anybody cares.

It's actually the fact that there is a literal mini-game based around groping the main character where the narrator asks you not to play with one hand as if that's a thing they expect. The child prostitution stuff is tonally consistent with the message of the work, the mini-game is not and awful. Also the gameplay is poo poo and it has a bunch of the problems from Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2's narratives magnified.

Although I guess some people might find it unpleasant and unnecessary, I find it unpleasant but as said tonally consistent with what the work is trying to be about.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Since we've been okayed I guess I'll talk a bit about some things. Firstly I think the actual attempt to discuss and look at abuse of children is by and large handled somewhat well and the villains are all actually basically okay characters. It's also neat that they use Toko/Syo as the other main character because there's plenty of hints that she was abused emotionally as a child.

Secondly the friendship between Toko and Komaru is fantastic, and in general the story is really good about handling their friendship and making it feel realistic and meaningful to both characters. Toko legit becomes a better person from her friendship with Komaru, and manages to shake off some of her issues around Byakuya whilst doing so.

Thirdly and finally the real tragedy of UDG is that beneath the godawful gameplay and questionable at best narrative/comedic decisions the actual plot and themes are kind of interesting and thoughtful, when related to how the entire series is a commentary on the idea that some people are talented and thus "deserve" more, or that hurting people is okay if it's to make them "better".

Also Monaca manages to be the most vile villain in the series which is impressive given Junko is Junko.

• Locked thread