Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

This'll be fun. I'm looking forward to your times on a peaceful island where nothing bad happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Looks like Togami gained quite a bit of weight.

And hello mr almost anagram.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Gundam is indeed amazing and his voice acting works quite well.

Also the hamsters are adorable.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nekomaru is a cool dude.

And I guess there were some other people too.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Wow, I forgot how much of a creep Hanamura was.

Yeah. He's, uh, he's really something.

Chiaki is another surprisingly normal person.

Ultimate Princess is kind of a weird "skill" because it's not like there's a huge amount of competition for the title. Though I guess it's not the first narrow field.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Gorilla Salad posted:

So what does the blood nose denote, again? Lust?

It's a side effect of the poison. Sonia didn't suck it out and now he's hemorrhaging from his brain.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Something I've pretty consistently been confused by: are these people entering or leaving high school? It certainly seems like Hopes Peak academy is more of a college, but he talks about how surprising it is that Hiyoko is a high school student when she wouldn't be anymore.

Speaking of Hiyoko, I forgot how polite she was during her introduction.

Akane is pretty fun. Yes, she definitely feels like a remix of some of the DR1 characters, as do a number of others, but they all have their own twists.

As for whether this is an alternate universe or a direct sequel or what... I mean, obviously no one's going to answer those questions. That would be telling.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

Hope's Peak is a High School, but only for the last two years of High School. Everyone who gets accepted has to be enrolled in a HIgh School before this. It is not a College.

Huh. That is confusing

mateo360 posted:

How did you read that as him think she should be out of high school? He comments on her looking young like she should be in a lower grade.

Basically I assumed Hopes Peak Academy was a college. Therefore when he said "she looks young to be in high school", I thought that was odd because it should have been "she looks young to be in college".

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

orenronen posted:

Also, the original Japanese pretty much shoves the fact that it's a high school down your throat, because "High School" is part of "Super High School Level".

Well, that's another reason for the confusion. They were admitted to Hope's Peak because they were super duper high school whatever the hecks. And you can't be a super duper high school doofus without already being in high school before Hope's Peak. But if they were already 2 years into high school before they went to this weird half high school thingummy then that would explain it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Aww, someone must be throwing everyone a surprise party in the park! How nice of them!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ReturnOfFable posted:

Huh, that's some motivation. "Kill each other or my giant robots will kill you." At least the game didn't take long to drop the tropical vacation act.

It wasn't a real tropical vacation without murder. Everyone was going to get so bored of it.

Also in this update: Monomi being ineffectual.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ManicVolcanic posted:

Watch as it's just Junko as the mastermind again, and she's like secretly not dead or something.

"You thought it was one of the new characters, but it was me! Junko!"

It turns out that Hajime is just Mukuro Ikusabe in a wig and makeup. Yeah, she's just that good at disguise!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

See, if Monokuma really cared about the rules he'd need to punish himself now. One of those bullets scraped Hajime, and the lead teacher isn't allowed to directly interfere with students unless they break a rule!

I assume in the next update someone will point this out and Monokuma will execute himself. Wow, short game.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Everyone voting in the contest is such a downer. Why can't you just believe in people? Predict that everyone will survive! Surely if they just work together they can get through this without any deaths!

I mean, besides Monomi. But rabbits aren't people so that's fine.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wow.

Enjoy the rest of the LP, racist.

Monokuma has said that bears aren't people, and he must be right about it because he's a bear (just like he was right about all his other bear facts, like that "bear" is his gender). If bears aren't people, rabbits aren't people. QED.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Also, is it just me or did the designers crank up the fanservice this time around?

Mikan has a gift. It's not a gift she wants, and it's not really a gift that anyone else wants her to have (except Teruteru), but she sure does have it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Malah posted:

I think my bets have solidified on the poll, at this point I'm pretty much just second-guessing myself.

It is interesting that Usami (Monomi?) isn't in the betting pool, because she's the one character I can't really make sense of. Nagito's also a bit of a gray area (appropriately?) because he's just super bland so far, aside from being one of the all-around helpful characters. Not going to lie, I had to flip a coin to make an actual "decision" there. Regardless, fingers crossed for some multi-kills or the kill rate otherwise departing from the first's.

I think the main reason Monomi wasn't in the betting pool is because when the poll was put up she was "dead", and including her would have been a bit of a spoiler.

And hey, flipping a coin is appropriate for Nagito - he's the ultimate lucky student, just like Naegi was. He was at Hope's Peak in the first place because he won a lottery.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Whoa, bear, spoilers!

Monokuma sure is getting the plot twists out of the way early. They'd have been a bit predictable since many of the people playing DR2 would have already beaten DR1.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

serefin99 posted:

...Mikan is dead. Something so sweet and innocent is not allowed to survive a Danganronpa game.

When I read Mikan's dialogue, "sweet and innocent" is really not what leaps to mind. "Deeply insecure" is quite a bit higher up there.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

"Ultimate Affluent Protagonist"

As amusing as that would be, I think Hajime has the prior claim on at least one part of that title.

Seems like there won't be a lot of pointy things around once Byakuya has his way. Did anyone search him, though?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Robindaybird posted:

And I can't help but feel Mikan would be less of a mess if Hiyoko isn't around to constantly belittle and demean her

On the other hand, look at how everyone else reacts to Hiyoko putting down Mikan - one time one person said something about it but otherwise they just kind of let it happen.

The Ultimate Fanfic guy was pretty pervy, but he was only into 2D girls so it wasn't the same as Teruteru.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Logicblade posted:

Mikan is gonna trip and somehow someone is gonna die because of it. I hope it's Steve.

If Mikan falls and Steve gets a nosebleed so bad he dies from it, does Mikan count as the murderer?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

serefin99 posted:

And Fuyuhiko continues to be absent for this chapter. Hopefully this changes next update, and also hopefully he has a drat good alibi. I don't want the gangstar to get offed so early.

Isn't "not being in the same building" a pretty good alibi?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

rotoscoped posted:

I wonder if he and the murderer cooperated? We know based on the last game that cooperations like that do not work, but our group of students doesn't.

Note that unlike in the first murder of the first game, for this one the group actually does know - Monokuma provided the rules already, including "If the blackened is not exposed, the remaining students will be executed".

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Will you be covering what people say when you falsely accuse them? Most of them are generic but sometimes they have amusing things to say.

In this case, it's clear that the culprit was none other then Hajime Hinata. Why else would it select him by default?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

readingatwork posted:

"That guy hosed up his timeline recap. HE'S THE KILLER! GET HIM!"

It's definitely funny that the failure state is that the main character is convicted of being the killer, because there are a number of cases where they have a pretty complete alibi.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nagito is the real hero of the story. Without him, wouldn't everyone be so much less hopeful right now? They were all so happy to figure out who the killer was - isn't a little despair worth a moment like that?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Truthkeeper posted:

I still maintain my previous objection that night vision goggles do not give you the ability to see through tables. So here's my thinking as to the sequence of events.

Nagito did everything he said he did. He set up the blackout, planted the knife, set up the lamp so he could get to it. And then during the blackout he went for the knife. Byakuya saw somebody diving under a table, knew that was suspicious, and moved to investigate. Then whoever it is under the floor shanked him with the skewer.

You just countered your own objection. Byakuya didn't need to see through a table, he just needed to see Nagito doing something odd.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Narsham posted:

I think this may have been brought up last time through this trial, but I still wonder: what was Nagito's actual plan once he had the knife?

He's under a table in a dark room filled with his fellow students holding a glowing knife. How is he going to find and stab one of the others, and if he successfully manages that, how does he avoid being accused at the trial? If he has enough light to see another student and kill them, all the other students have enough light to see him.

He could have covered the knife with something so it didn't glow, and if you don't care who you kill then a knife and a room full of people may not require much visibility.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Tombot posted:

What the hell is even happening to Teruteru right now? and why would he need to fake his accent anyway, somthing doesnt add up here.

Sounds like he's claiming to be from a big city but is actually from a small town. I imagine it would work better if I knew anything at all about West Azabu or South Aoyama.

And they're trying to clear up the murder weapon because they remember being sure that Nagito was the murderer, until Hajime brought up that the knife didn't kill Byakuya.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

A lot of the time stuff can be explained because Nagito wanted it to happen this way. He wanted Byakuya to see him - he sent the letter in the first place to set Byakuya up. So maybe he stalled on finding the cord.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I think the more interesting time to check the cottages is considerably later in the game, at pretty much the last time you can check them. That said, they still have some musings by our protagonist here.

And hey, Hiyoko made a friend! Friends are people who offer to help you out of pity and whose good will you exploit beyond what they wanted to do in the first place, right?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Mikan is terrible.

Yes, she is, but I really wish people reacted to it at all. Like, Hajime is mostly just confused by her and doesn't try to help, and when Hiyoko says horrific things to her no one else even seems to notice.

Basically, Mikan is weird and I'd be more ok with that if people treated her like people actually would.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I think that the true motive for the next murder is that Monokuma's game is so bad that anyone who plays it will want to kill themselves. It's the perfect crime!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nephrite posted:

I don't know what it is, but I absolutely cannot stand Kazuichi. I'm sure, much like Toko, he's probably going to survive to the end and continue to be an awful character.

Hey, he took the initiative and tried to deal with an obviously dangerous person in a non lethal way. That's something that no one else in either game (besides Nekomaru of course) has done. Compare to Toko, who did pretty close to literally nothing in the entire game besides exist as a red herring and hit Oogami once.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Robindaybird posted:

ugh, good thing Steve's dead by now, it would''ve made that scene much more painful.

Either way, Kazuichi wouldn't have invited him. Kazuichi is a creep about Sonia but even he thought Steve was gross.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Fedule posted:

Our stupid lovely English language just does not have the capacity for ambiguity that Japanese does.

Eh. English has an immense number of double entendres, mondegreens, and other ambiguous options available. I don't think it has a good one for pressing down five times, but I'm sure translating puns or whatever from English to Japanese is a huge pain too.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Fabulousvillain posted:

It makes sense until you realize humans have this special move called jumping that is followed by performing what's called a pull-up, but I guess it was just too high for that.

Akane didn't think she could do that without someone helping her up and she's the ultimate gymnast.

And Peko has a conversation where she mentions her sword is made of bamboo, but it's still bullshit to include that in the hangman's gambit.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah. Okay, I shall accept the premise that it is possible for someone to stand on a sword hilt. But still, we're expected to believe that Peko put that sword against the wall with nothing to stop it from sliding on the smooth and shiny tile floor, or falling once there's the force of~100 lbs of mass acting on it from above. It couldn't have been just a single leap, because it wasn't just a ledge grab. Peko would have had to take the grating off the window, grab the ledge, push the window open, one-handedly pull herself (with sword tied to ankle) through the window, still holding the grating, hang on to the window from the outside, carefully place the totally unsecured grating back into place, and close the window without disturbing the grating. Oh, and she does this while soaking wet without most of the water rubbing off onto the walls she's clinging onto.

I think you are making the grating more complex than it is. It's attached to the window and swings out with it. Yes, that's a really stupid way to make a window, but it makes opening it much simpler than you are thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

": This iron bar ain't even pinned down. Looks like you can open and close it pretty easy. See? My head can fit through, no problem."

Frankly I don't get how the iron bars work, but either way they're apparently easy to open and close.

• Locked thread