Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Wanna see a demonstration of my school? It's called "Eight Leaves, One Very Big Stick"!

Taco Defender

mateo360 posted:

Not seen in this pic:
Artemus in the Viz Sailor Moon Dub

also, just take a look at this page:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/johnny-yong-bosch/

Also missing is Rush Sykes from The Last Remnant and probably a whole bunch more too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Wanna see a demonstration of my school? It's called "Eight Leaves, One Very Big Stick"!

Taco Defender

I haven't played this game and I know nothing which wasn't covered by the first LP, (except for one mild character spoiler which could be guessed anyway). But wow the opening of this game sure is highly suspicious on so many fronts.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I find it amusing that the In Media Res thing from the start apparently happens about five minutes later. I could make a lot of speculations based on all the incredibly suspicious things which have happened already, but pretty much everyone reading this could make the exact same speculations, so there's no point. Also strangely enough the map calling it "Jabberwock Island" is actually the game's interface kinda spoiling itself.

EDIT: Wait, we're allowed to talk about spoilers for this game in bars? Is that just because FPZero thinks most people reading the thread have already played this? I would have expected a "no spoilers" rule for this game and future releases. Allowing spoilers just seems like a recipe for trouble. Look at Oblivion4568238's post: It's spoilers for this game, but there is absolutely ZERO CONTEXT - there's no clue for when that spoiler appears. Is it something I would know from seeing chapters 1 and 2 (and half of 3)? Beats me!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 8, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Thesaya posted:

If you are implying what I think you are, you just inadvertently spoiled me. Please don't do that.

It's a reference to Umineko, which has the protagonist adamantly deny the existence of magic and witches to the face of a witch. I do think that something very suspicious is going on here, but between too-obvious misdirects and exaggerated ANIME stuff, it's hard to be sure exactly what it is.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mahiru seems to be fairly normal, which is quite refreshing among a cast of fantastical weirdos.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I don't care what ya'll do, but I'm calling the mechanic Soda and the coach Nidai and the traditional dancer Saionji, because those names are distinct and short enough for me to actually remember.

Junpei posted:

Gundam is what we like to call a jh$dfvd&ffzrlst43y6

What do they call him in words which will actually carry some meaning to most posters on the forum?

Qrr posted:

Yeah. He's, uh, he's really something.

Chiaki is another surprisingly normal person.

Ultimate Princess is kind of a weird "skill" because it's not like there's a huge amount of competition for the title. Though I guess it's not the first narrow field.

She makes about the third "Ultimate Heir" type, after Togami ("Ultimate Legitimate Business Enterprise Heir") and Kuzuryuu ("Ultimate Criminal Enterprise Heir").

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 13, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

We've seen my favorite character, but I'm not saying who it is to avoid spoilers.

Of course, now everyone who has played the game knows exactly who I am referring to.

There are only two three students we haven't seen, so this statement is so vague it's meaningless. It's okay to say that "My favorite character is X but I won't say why yet".

EDIT: Three students, I forgot about Akane.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 13, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

The first game had the 15/16 students thing which allowed for one to be controlling Monobear, but even from what we've seen now, it doesn't look like they'll be doing the exact same thing again. In the classroom there were 16 desks and 16 students. Now we have not one but two puppets interacting with people in front of all the students. So I'm not even going to bother trying to guess which students might possibly be controlling the puppets. I'm not even sure that's the case.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Huh, that's some motivation. "Kill each other or my giant robots will kill you." At least the game didn't take long to drop the tropical vacation act.

I think this is more like "Don't try to kill me or my giant robots will kill you."

One thing I noticed in Monobear's speech was the part where he said "No time limit". That's not important information now, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Double Punctuation posted:

Or he got mind wiped again, which the intro seems to imply.

I dunno. It was already hard enough to swallow "hey teenagers, you've lost two years of memories and didn't notice! Good thing every single one of you stopped growing two+ years ago." I think Togami would probably notice something odd if he gained 300 pounds overnight.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Yeah, go ahead and decide what to do on your own. It sounds much faster and simpler.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I know who a bunch of the non-survivors are from oren's aborted LP, but nothing past that, so I wonder if that would be half-cheating, making it inappropriate for me to enter. Actually never mind, yes it would be. I'll just sit this one out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I put many hours into Tales of Zestiria, and it's hard to not automatically associate Mahiru's voice with Lailah now. I do appreciate FPZero for including the names of the VA's for the characters, as there are some which sound familiar, but I can't be sure from where.

fractalairduct posted:

I realise it's probably too late to mention this, but I noticed in the last image you were headed outside from the restaurant. I'm pretty sure there are some people in the hotel lobby you could talk to.

That's not something you need to spoiler at all. Even if feel you do, the above edit would have been a better place to put the tag.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Once again, I'll quote Monobear, emphasis mine:

: Ahem, any method is fine. Popular ones like bludgeoning, stabbing, strangling, and poisoning... To shooting, beating, running over, burning, bombing, slashing, drowning, electrocution, crushing, cursing... Please, choose whichever killing method you prefer. No time limit, so you can kill as you please... It's an All-You-Can-Murder Buffet... A theme park of murder...

Whatever that countdown is for, it is not a bomb, and probably not anything which would limit their time either. No idea what that could be, though.

fractalairduct posted:

I suppose I could be misremembering this, but the scene in the hotel lobby was Mahiru trying to convince Sonia to lead again. I don't remember exactly how it played out.

Yeah that's basically it.

You can read oren's translation of that scene here, although of course spoilers if you go too much farther past that point.

Why is everyone calling the chef guy Steve? Is there some reference I'm missing?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Buried alive posted:

I don't know why, but somehow watching 'kuma go after 'mi is really disturbing. It's like a domestic violence dispute or something.

I think that's entirely intentional. Monobear is a huge dick. Everything he does is supposed to be disturbing. If at some point you find yourself thinking "Gee, I think Monobear has the right idea," then something has gone very wrong with your process.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mikan is just a slightly more pleasant version of Toko from the first game, but just as tiresome and obnoxious to deal with. I don't care why she's broken, I just want her to stop talking.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Oh, is it time to light the candles on the cake? Whose birthday is it?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I only saw this game from oren's aborted LP, but one thing this game really improves on a lot from the first game is making the other students actually valuable contributors to the investigations instead of just drooling lumps except the ones who figured it out already but were just too lazy to speak up.

• Mahiru will use her photos to figure out where everyone was standing at the time of the murder.
  • Ibuki uses her musician's ears to recall who was speaking and in what order during the blackout.
  • Nagito realizes that Togami's last words were odd.
  • Chiaki checks to see if it was possible to get underneath the lodge's floor from the outside.
  • Hinata suspects that someone brought the knife in advance and hid it. He also wonders if Togami could have been stabbed from below.

And there are new mechanics later which is neither the time nor my place to go into, but they also show the other students making contributions. Unfortunately there is one key factor which I think is a weak area, but that's definitely for later.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

That's an excellent diagram. Mahiru has a keen eye for detail. Every single feature is on it. She would make a fine assistant detective.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

The mysteries are more mysterious in this game than the first one... but the correct answers can sometimes be less than intuitive.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Robindaybird posted:

I think they took to heart the complaint of how relatively easy it was to guess the murderer in DR1's cases which ends up making everyone else into morons

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yeah compared to Case 1 in the first game this one has me a bit stumped. Though to be fair I am one of those people who think I'm hot poo poo a mystery games, but actually sucks at them.

So far I am really enjoying how calm everyone is, before getting to the murderer, everyone is really trying to give a good guess based on what they know, hell even Steve is actually contributing useful thoughts to the debate, something I never thought would happen.

The students in this game are much, much more useful than in DR 1 and they contribute a lot more constructive thoughts to the trials as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

The Rebuttal Showdown is the first of the new additions to trial mechanics which makes the students seem smarter and more engaged than in DR 1. It's not the same as the bullet time debate in which the opponent is filibustering with nonsense - this time your opponent has a point of view based on reason and won't just take your word as proof - you have to defend your point with evidence. It's a little different than the non-stop debates and variety is good. Plus, the music for it is also fantastic.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Truth bullets are another of the new trial mechanics to make students seem more useful. No longer is it the case where 100% of the time a student is wrong, but the protagonist has the only right point. Now sometimes someone else gets it right and you have to agree with them to advance. Another great addition. If I am remembering right (which I might not be), it gets fun later on when some debates have both Argue points AND Agree points in the same round!

I also like Kuzuryu's contribution. Even if it came to nothing, it was a pretty interesting thought.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Really? She's accusing Kuzuryuu right after learning that the way into the under-floor area is inside the storage room? The storage room that he would need to get past Chiaki, Monomi, and everyone in the dining room and kitchen to reach?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hmmm... it's just occurred to me that something happening in this trial might explain something later on which I found odd when I saw it in oren's LP. I'll explain that when we get there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Oh, right, I see now what Mahiru is getting at. She's suggesting that Kuzuryuu was hiding underneath the floor from before the party started. Okay that's a little less bad an idea, and since she was guarding the body and making the sketch, she never left the lodge to see Chiaki.

: I know... The killer had a light with them!

I'm sorry, but this is where Hinata's logic totally fails. It is absolutely, completely impossible that the killer used the portable stove as a light source.

If the Fire Door was closed, there's still a big flaw in the light-source argument.

Even if the killer used the portable stove from the kitchen as a light source, at best that takes them into the storage room. There's absolutely NO WAY they could have taken the light with them underneath the floor into the dining hall. In the darkness of the blackout, any light would have been a huge beacon lighting up the dining hall and instantly giving away that there was someone under the floor.

Without taking the light under the floor, though, there's no plausible way the killer could have found their way to underneath the table. That feeble glow-in-the-dark paint is not enough light shining through the cracks in the floor to let the killer find their way from the storage room to the table. Remember that Nagito had to use the power cord, and he had the advantage of standing near the table, knowing when the blackout would occur and being able to face that direction when the power went out.

But okay, let's say that the portable stove has magic light which doesn't travel upwards to give itself away. The killer has to get the portable stove, close the fire door, turn the stove on, walk to the storage room, pick up the big bulky tablecloth, go under the floor and SOMEHOW crawl their way to the right spot without any clear way of knowing which direction or how far... all in the time that it takes Nagito to easily follow the cord to the table. There is no way at all that the killer is faster doing all of that than Nagito is following the cord.

Plus, there's another way that the killer could have found their way in the dark without the light: Just following the wall with their hands. It's so simple a child could do it.

This is not the last time the game uses terrible logic as a solution to the mystery, which really, REALLY ruins the point of a mystery game.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 25, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

alcharagia posted:

The blackout also had a bunch of people running around during it and causing havoc, along with the fact that the table was covered by a tablecloth that blocked the knife. The point of the tape was for when Nagito was under the table, not to reach it.

I'm pretty sure that most people in the blackout would have been staying right where they were because they couldn't see anything. The exception being Soda because he was looking for the office. And I said nothing about Nagito looking for the glow of the tape before getting under the table. I said he needed to use the lamp cord to find the table. Nagito had a short trip and he had planned for it. I said that the glow from the tape wouldn't have been bright enough to filter through the cracks in the floor and act as a guide for the killer during the blackout.

Assuming that Teruteru is the killer, I think Fabulousvillain has it right. If he knew when the blackout was going to happen, he could have easily gotten into position under the table BEFORE the lights went out - the pattern of light coming from the cracks in the floor would have been enough information to get him to the table to lie in wait. He might have used the portable stove for light - but not to find his way to the storage room, the lights were still on at that time. Instead he would have left it on in the storage room. After committing the murder, the light coming from the hatch would let him find his way back through the crawlspace during the blackout. From there he could follow the wall back to the kitchen without the stove light.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hmmm... well, if there was some paint which made its way under the floor, then I guess that works as a marker to lead him to the spot. But I still think that the timing of the actions both Teruteru and Nagito supposedly had to perform still makes it much more likely that Teruteru was under the floor before the blackout.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Sooooo, I'm just going to guess the obvious and assume that when Ibuki heard Steve, was was under the room and not in it. If the floods gaps are big enough to shishkabob someone through I'm fairly sure noise can carry up too.

Yes. If it was Teruteru, then he was taking a chance that his voice would sound a bit muffled or much lower down than expected, but he was gambling the general disorientation would make that unnoticable.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tombot posted:

What the hell is even happening to Teruteru right now? and why would he need to fake his accent anyway, somthing doesnt add up here.

I think the idea is that the voice he's been using all along is the fake accent, probably put on to make him sound more worldly and less of a hayseed.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I'm going to once again repeat my gripe with the "correct solution" as presented by the game.

Nagito's task list once the blackout started:
  • Follow the power cord he was standing right next to 4 feet to the table.
  • Crawl under the table.
  • Pick up knife

Teruteru's task list once the blackout started:
  • Turn on portable stove.
  • Retrieve skewer
  • Close fire doors
  • Walk to storage room.
  • Retreive Tablecloth
  • Wrap self in tablecloth in such a way as to both cover themselves and not impede movement.
  • Open trap door
  • Put down portable stove
  • Crawl under floor
  • Follow faint glowing paint and crawl six-eight feet to get under table
  • Wait under table
  • Stab once light moves

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like one person's task list was significantly shorter and much, much, easier than the other person, and yet apparently the second person is supposed to have done all their tasks FASTER than the first person.

: That's what happened... How about it? Did I get anything wrong?

Yes, Hinata.

Given that Teruteru knew when the blackout was going to happen, he must have been waiting in position under the floor before the blackout happened. None of that crap with the portable stove and fire door was necessary. At most he used the stove as a light beside the trap door to find his way back, after which he could turn it off when leaving the storage room, and following the wall with his hands back to the kitchen. Same killer, same basic M.O., but with a timeline which actually makes sense. This kind of sloppy thinking and poor logic is a killer for a mystery game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Someone earlier asked what Nagito's murder plan was. If Togami hadn't brought the NVG, and Teruteru had missed Nagito, or only grazed his hand or something (or didn't know about the plot at all), how would he have killed someone? Well, you can walk in pitch blackness on level ground just fine as long as you take it carefully and keep a hand in front to detect obstacles.

It probably would have been him concealing the glow of the knife by hiding it, then walking towards someone who was talking, hopefully figuring out which way they were facing from the sound of their voice, getting behind them, (optionally putting a hand over their mouth) and then stabbing them in the chest or slitting their throat from behind (to minimize or avoid getting blood them), then dropping the knife and sneaking away from the body. Lights come up and there's a body and a knife in the middle of the floor and a lot of possible suspects close to the body.

IceBorg posted:

Teruteru used the door and the portable stove in his plan because he had to give himself also a alibi before the blackout in where he was moving from the kitchen to hall bringing food and make people think that it was impossible to go from the kitchen to under the floor without any light , if he wanted to wait before the blackout he would be suspicious as soon as the topic of who wasn't at the party started

In my view, it wouldn't have taken long at all to look at the clock, see "10:27" or "10:28", get the skewer and stove, peek into the hall to make sure no one was looking, scoot around the corner into the storage room, set up the stove by the hatch and turn it on, slip on the tablecloth, scoot under the floor and use the pattern of lights from above to find the knife table (the light on the murder table would be a help there as the light shining through the floor would be brighter in that area), and wait there for the 30 seconds or so before the blackout.

Sure, getting under the floor early would risk trouble if someone wandered into the kitchen, but no more of one than shouting up through the floor and hoping that no one noticed that it sounded much more distant than usual, and no worse a risk than getting under the table a minute too late.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'd assume Teruteru just wanted to escape - he seems like a pretty pervy, selfish type of dude

As for the more complicated kill being the correct one, that's just the way games and murder mysteries are! If they were simple the whole "gather everyone in the drawing room and lay out the murder step by step" done in detective stories would be awfully short and boring

You misunderstand me - more complicated is fine, I like complicated. It's highly implausible timing that I find questionable. I can only see the two timings of Nagito and Teruteru working if Nagito was taking an improbably long time to reach the table - and that is something which Teruteru could not count on happening.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I had forgotten how incredibly batshit bugfuck nutso Nagito is.

: Byakuya was probably trying...to protect Nagito.
: As long as he was wearing the night-vision goggles... I'm sure he saw someone moving under the floorboards. And that someone...was aiming for Nagito.

I don't agree with this at all. I think it's just wishful thinking.

I like the parallels this first case has to DR 1. In both DR 1 and 2, the viewpoint character gets a friend/assistant for a little bit at the start, and in both cases, that friend/assistant is the first one to attempt a murder. And in both the first case of DR 1 and DR 2, the ACTUAL killer wasn't intending to kill at first, it's only realizing that another person is going to attempt a murder which forces their hand. In both games, the actual killer had a choice whether or not to kill, they could have walked away and told someone else. But because the seeds of doubt and fear were planted by the knowledge that a fellow student was willing to kill, they chose to kill to try and get out of the situation.

Also, good riddance to that horrible little pervert.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

If your one Talent is "dance well in a simple costume", then shouldn't you at least be able to put on the costume? Now I admit that I haven't mastered a lot of knots, but if it was my job to tie things up, I'd probably make an effort to learn a few.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FoolyCharged posted:

No, it's ok. You really don't have to do that for us.

Indeed. Sometimes an LP is better served when "bonus content" is omitted, rather than shown.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Boy, that ruin... that looks INCREDIBLY suspicious and very familiar. Now I haven't seen past where oren left off his LP, so I don't know for sure, but I have a theory about what is inside. But I'll save that for if we get a closer look at it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I would have posted this the other day, but I was hoping at least one other person would reply.

I'd forgotten that the game actually points out "Gee, isn't this similar to Hope's Peak Academy?" And it really does look similar. However, there is a difference. The door on the inside from DR 1 is different. This vault door has a little tongue thing instead of appearing to open along one vertical line. But maybe that's not important.

My crazy, totally off-the-wall theory is that the students from the first game are inside that building. Togami, Naegi, Aoi, Kirigiri, all of them. No windows in the school. We never saw what was beyond the door.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Talow posted:

Thank you for the mental image of the two Togamis meeting and wondering why the other look the way they do.

I believe that one of them is not a real Togami. I don't think anyone in the thread has suggested that, even though it was a topic of debate in oren's thread. Fat Togami has the character development of Thin Togami at the end of DR 1, and yet he both doesn't remember Monobear AND he wasn't asking "why am I fat". Even granting memory wiping powers to Monobear, there's a contradiction there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mikan is terrible.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

dscruffy1 posted:

Mikan is broken and everyone treats her terribly.

She is clearly suffering from some ongoing trauma, but the problem is that for people like Mikan in this game or Toko in the first game, it is incredibly exhausting having to deal with someone so hypersensitive that you need to walk on eggshells around them and be incredibly careful with everything you say it's not taken as an insult or abuse. So I can't blame everyone for not wanting anything to do with her. We haven't seen an Ultimate Therapist in the cast. I hope that is the last free time we see of Mikan until the postgame roundup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

drat it.

Mahiru was my favorite character. Most of the students are outrageously over the top, and it was nice having someone around who was fairly normal and sane, AND also still had a distinct personality. This bites.

• Locked thread