Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Rarity posted:

Can we rename Kazuichi to Steve 2.0?

I don't think that's called for. He's a teenage boy who wants to hang out at the beach with teenage girls. Not exactly unusual. It's not like his plan was to spy on them from afar with binoculars. Plus, nearly everyone has already been co-ed swimming already.

Tombot posted:

Whenever a killing happens at least one more person has to die, thats one more person who we could never imagine doing this. And the worst part is it could be anyone.
Incidentally, I wonder if anyone will try going after us at some point, I mean we are the one who's integral to solving these crimes.

It's probably a little less likely in this game than the first, because most students are pretty integral to solving the crimes. In the first game Naegi and Kirigiri stood out. Hajime stands out much less in this game because his classmates are generally more competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I am unclear what happened to the barred part of the window when Akane opened the window bit. Is she holding it in her other hand?

Irrelevant, but it also beats me why it's forbidden to change in the shower room, it's got a shower and a toilet so the door probably locks, and the window is too high for anyone to peek through.

If I remember, down five is pretty close to a literal translation of the code. oren's LP did a different localization, it was more clever, but it would probably have been much harder to figure out than the one this version presents.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CandyCrazy posted:

One thing I can think of is to reverse the words to "FIVE DOWN", and have Hinata question that only one of the five girls in the group died, since being downed can be a synonym for a party member being killed in games.

Or call them Girl #1, 2, 3... and then have FIVE DOWN when #5 bites it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm... looking at the game from start to finish, it seems to me that this game only really would work as a motive for a very small number of students. That is different from the usual, but I think I know the reason behind this.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

Yeah, this is one of the most personalized motives. The only one that would be more specific would be the 4th case of the first game, where the motive was "Sakura is the mole, and I want her to kill someone".

I disagree with that. The motive was "Sakura is a traitor. I've told her to kill someone. Aren't you afraid? Will no one rid the school of this troublesome traitor"? It wasn't only a motive for Sakura, it was a motive for others to try to kill Sakura.

Here, this is only a motive for someone who knew the game's dead girl or girl E, and with no ones school memories returned, no one remembers who they are, and that further narrows the potential people who would care. This game provides no motive for Nidai, for instance.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 23, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

I agree. Apparently I wasn't clear that the motive was for everyone else.

But my point was that even though Sakura's motive was a little different, in DR1 Case 4, everyone had some motive. Here, practically no one has a motive. And actually, that only makes Monobear's choice to only give out one prize package self-defeating, because the chances are extremely high that the winner would be one of those people who wouldn't care.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Double Punctuation posted:

Kuzuryu really doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to play video games.

Yeah. You would THINK that the Ultimate Gamer would be the first person tempted to play and beat the Shiny New Videogame. But if she had, she would have gotten the ONLY prize, which would basically be meaningless to her. So, in a truly amazing contrived coincidence, out of all 14 students, apparently, the first person to play and beat the game and get the prize is the ONLY one who it would mean anything to.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

EponymousMrYar posted:

All of this Hiyoko stuff seems to be too obvious.
Unless it's a double-blind between her and Fuyuhiko!?

They're definitely the top two suspects though.

We seem to have a LOT of "too-obvious" suspects.

1) Peko is too obvious because she was wet.
2) Sonia is too obvious because she was NOT wet.
3) Kuzuryuu is too obvious because he's the only one who has a motive.
4) Hiyoko is too obvious because she was definitely at the crime scene.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Was there supposed to be a video like for the other class trials?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

: Girl C? Then I'll "C" you next Tuesday!

I sure wasn't expecting that. :haw:

Obviously, the key to the next argument is something like "the glass breaking was from the vase, the girl was killed much earlier and so the key was replaced long before the sound of the glass breaking was heard".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've forgotten a few things about this case, but I do remember some of the answers were stupid. Who would have guessed "gravel in a school swimsuit"? She choked the victim unconscious, and then had to spend some indeterminate amount of time trying to get a swimsuit to act as a very crude bag? I'm not even sure that would work at all, much less be something you can do before someone wakes up.

There are stupider things to come, too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
So many of these students are just the worst.

Rogue 7 posted:

drat, it's either Peko or Sonia. The "should have been covered in blood" line is the key. I'm really hoping that Sonia turns out to be a crazy serial killer, because Peko is my favorite so far.

Why? Peko seems to be just incredibly dull.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rogue 7 posted:

That's kinda why, honestly. In this saga of incredibly over-the-top personalities and assholes, it's nice to have someone who isn't completely bugfuck crazy.

Like, the reason why i liked the photographer in the cast? Okay, i guess that makes sense. Looking forward to the rest of the trial.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It makes sense that Hiyoko didn't mention being drugged, because that would not have sounded believable until she was cleared of suspicion.

Akane being covered in blood was mentioned as suspicious earlier, but it was cleared up just about as soon as it was brought up as Nidai confirmed the story.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cangelosi posted:

That is true, especially considering the front door was blocked by the dead body.

...wait, how many exits does the beach house have again?

Three. There is the door leading onto the paved patch, the door leading onto the sand of the beach, and the barred window far too high up for anyone to reach on their own and of which it would be exceptionally difficult to replace the bars on the inside from the outside, so that one doesn't count.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rarity posted:

Hang on, how did the killer get out of the beach house then without leaving any footprints?

Exactly! That's why it's a mystery!

The answer is really stupid.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
dancingbears, I didn't say "impossible", I said "exceptionally difficult".

I forgot the surfboard case bit. Anyway, a body discovery announcement happens after three people find a body. We have two: Saionji and Souda. Monobear has grudgingly given up that the killer does not count in this instance, which means that there is a third person who has discovered the body who was not the killer.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Buried alive posted:

Also the game is definitely reading like Peko is going to get accused, but I hope she lives. You need a straight man as a contrast for the rest of this insanity drat it.

That was Mahiru. The killer and any accomplices (if there are any) can go straight to hell. (If you think I sound harsh, I also know the motive of the case.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 26, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
This explanation is so loving stupid. SO stupid. It's so stupid that I think maybe one person guessed it in oren's LP, and that one had pages and pages of speculation back and forth, everything under the sun.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Robindaybird posted:

Wasn't it part of the issue is that this is a trick that's common in period dramas, etc. in Japan but nowhere else so no one outside of Japan would've really guessed it due to lack of familiarity.

I've seen people levitating under their own power, but I don't think the game would have accepted "the killer simply levitated themselves to cross the sand without leaving footprints". That's because like period dramas, the levitation I've seen was in fiction. This is supposed to be "reality". Has anyone in reality ever managed to stand on the hilt of a sword? Is there a youtube video of a real life human demonstrating this which I could be suitably in awe of?

Qrr posted:

Akane didn't think she could do that without someone helping her up and she's the ultimate gymnast.

Yeah. Okay, I shall accept the premise that it is possible for someone to stand on a sword hilt. But still, we're expected to believe that Peko put that sword against the wall with nothing to stop it from sliding on the smooth and shiny tile floor, or falling once there's the force of~100 lbs of mass acting on it from above. It couldn't have been just a single leap, because it wasn't just a ledge grab. Peko would have had to take the grating off the window, grab the ledge, push the window open, one-handedly pull herself (with sword tied to ankle) through the window, still holding the grating, hang on to the window from the outside, carefully place the totally unsecured grating back into place, and close the window without disturbing the grating. Oh, and she does this while soaking wet without most of the water rubbing off onto the walls she's clinging onto.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 27, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Qrr posted:

I think you are making the grating more complex than it is. It's attached to the window and swings out with it. Yes, that's a really stupid way to make a window, but it makes opening it much simpler than you are thinking.

:confused:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rogue 7 posted:

And now I don't feel so bad that she'll be leaving us.

Yep, good riddance.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Knowing this was coming, I laughed every time someone said that Peko was the sane one.

Me too. EDIT: Actually, that's a lie, I forgot about this scene. I did remember she was nuts though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 29, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Fabulousvillain posted:

I'm just spitballing here but the context to the letters to Mahiru and Hiyoko make me feel like they could only be from each other. Maybe Peko witnessed Mahiru knocking out Hiyoko to try and kill her, then Peko killed Mahiru out of "justice" and attempted framing Hiyoko? I know this doesn't make much sense to save someone then attempt framing them, but framing someone in this case already is leading everyone to certain death. Besides this entire update is showing she's loving nuts anyway.

You mean you believe that the identical letters in the identical handwriting using the identical phrasing were written by two different people?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

BlazeEmblem posted:

I not to sure about Peko washing herself before waiting for Hiyoko to show up. Wouldn't she have been dry by the time she got to the dinner? It was about half an hour between when she killed Mahiru and when she arrived.

That's not right. Hiyoko arrived half an hour before Mahiru. Peko would have had to wash the blood off before hiding in the surfboard case though, because anyone finding blood in there would have thought it strange indeed. Peko would also have lost some more of the water on her body to the wall as she climbed through the window.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think Sonia has noticed that Peko seems to be trying to bury everyone under a blizzard of the word "justice", without conveying any actual information or evidence to support her claim that killing Mahiru was executing justice or elaborating on what justice s under her moral code.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Mahiru arrived at 2:30, but Peko arrived at the dinner close to the meeting time, which was at 3:00. Other than that , the rest of your post makes sense.

Not sure what anything I said has to do with the time Peko arrived at the diner. I suggested that Peko would have likely washed the blood off her body before hiding in the surfboard case to avoid getting blood in it or the closet (Likely as in it is probable, but not certain), and that leaving through the window would have rubbed more of the remaining water off on the wall from the contact.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Or is it Sputnik posted:

So Peko did kill a killer, as is Sparkling Justice's M.O.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Mahiru was accomplice to murder of Fuyuhiko's sister.

I'm sorry, could you read that again? Sparkling Justice's M.O. is to murder killers, and Mahiru was the accomplice-after-the-fact.

Even on this deranged island, where an accident can count as murder, accomplice is different than killer. Mahiru isn't a killer. She didn't kill anyone. She didn't help anyone kill anyone. She covered up for someone afterwards. You've swallowed too much of the snow of justice. You're missing the contradictions.

If Peko really is "Sparking Justice", and what the Twilight Syndrome game presented counts as proof of murder enough for Mahiru to be judged guilty by that standard, than why is Fuyuhiko alive? He ACTUALLY murdered someone according to the Twilight Syndrome game. And more importantly, why is Nagito alive? He was also attempting murder and acted as an accomplice to that cook guy, and he has declared his intention to act as an accomplice for any future murderers. Peko knew this before the game was played and finished.

This has nothing to do with justice, sparkling or otherwise. You just got Pekowned, foo'.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Kuzuryuu and Peko can both go to hell. I mean the Twilight whatever game actually says that Kuzuryuu already got his revenge on the actual killer. He and Peko did work together planning this murder (even if he wanted an excuse to call it off). He had no remorse about that, he didn't care, and yet he actually had the nerve to get angry and try to kill Mahiru for...what? He WAS going to kill her before Peko grabbed the bat out of his hands. So he deserves no sympathy in my eyes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 7, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Oblivion4568238 posted:

He would have chickened out of the killing. That's why Peko did it instead, because he wasn't going to get it done. I even took it that the same thing probably happened during the Twilight Syndrome events, that Fuyuhiko caught Girl E, but couldn't bring himself to finish the job, so Peko did it for him again (well, the first time, but you know what I mean). I mean, that second part is just speculation, but the only reason I see for Peko to take the bat right out of Fuyuhiko's hands and kill Mahiru herself is that Fuyuhiko wasn't going to start swinging any time soon.

You're welcome to that opinion, but I don't agree with that. In his post-trial testimony, he said that he WAS trying to find a way out of it but them Mahiru goes "didn't you murder someone" and that got him so MAD that he picked up the bat, and... sounds to me like he was finally pushed past his breaking point and he really was going to kill.

The "what really happened" flashback also supports this.

: I did it because I know. There is no way I can let that happen to you...

This sounds like Peko snatched the bat out of his hands to keep him from becoming the killer, it does not sound like he was chickening out of it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hunt11 posted:

There is one issue with your argument though. Peko understanding of what Kuzuryuu really wanted was wrong and the lead up to the execution shows just that.

Kuzuryuu never disputed the claim that he and Peko were planning the murder, and he did not seem surprised to hear that Saionji was out cold in the closet in his flashback. Read the dialogue again:

quote:

: Want me to be honest...? This whole time...I was acting like a coward... Even after I called over Mahiru... I was still trying to find an excuse to not go through with the plan...
But after she said that to me...that all went out the window...! I got really pissed off and grabbed the metal bat that I hid under the bench... But at that moment...

: Young Master called for me and made me kill Mahiru.
: ...Huh?

After Peko jumped in, Kuzuryuu then went "Huh?" That wasn't acting, he was surprised at the interjection. That means, that everything he said before Peko jumped in was accurate. Kuzuryuu had a plan to kill. He was looking for an excuse to call it off, but even so, he got enraged and picked up the bat with the intent to kill. He said so himself.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 7, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I still feel like the students are being way too sympathetic towards self-admitted attempted murderer Kuzuryuu. He wouldn't have lost Peko or been badly injured if he hadn't plotted with her to avenge a murder which he had already avenged. He’s a vicious rear end in a top hat and he got what was coming to him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
A nice bonus scene, thanks for showing it off. (How far are we to the next page? This one has a lot of images on it.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't like Akane. She combines incredibly stupid with foolish recklessness.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 26, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I certainly hope that no one with a reversed personality kills anyone. I would not consider anyone who kills because they're sick as responsible for their actions.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Graylien posted:

I think Monokuma said in the first game that even accidental deaths count, so not being in your right mind would still get you executed :smith: I do wonder how he'd deal with death from illness though, can't execute a bacteria.

It would, because he's a dick, but I just could not agree that such a person is responsible. More to the point, it would be bad storytelling: "Why did you kill them" "I wouldn't have except my personality was reversed" - that's not a reason which would be interesting to the player.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zoe posted:

I'm just not seeing what about this situation is going to drive anyone to kill anyone else. It's a situation that may be easy to take advantage of, but other than Nagito, and Hiyoko and Fuyuhiko I guess there's no real friction left in the group, it's hard to picture any of them opting for murder after everything they've already been through together.

Then again I suppose there's still whoever's supposed to be the traitor, and we can't really rule out more ridiculous secrets and dark pasts popping up out of nowhere at this point, even though that's probably my least favorite kind of plot twist.

Fear, of course.

You're right that there isn't a lot of friction left in the group, but when people in the group can be arbitrarily stricken with a disease which robs them of their sanity, it creates fear about what the ill are capable of in their changed state, there's fear of losing one's own mind to the disease, fear that one could be killed by the disease or killed by someone else while being helpless because of the disease.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Mikan is awful. Really, really awful.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have a good feeling about tomorrow!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Mikan: Continues to be absolutely terrible. Bodies: Continue to show up.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh no. Something terrible has happened. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Speaking of Nagito, there was that weird bit with the "Two Ibuki's", although I don't know what the opposite of that would mean. That Ibuki never existed at all?

He has "Liar's Disease", not "Opposites Disease".

• Locked thread